00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

VoidDelux just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Sketch Collab 2012

31,107 Views | 338 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-02-23 03:28:57

Now, when you say don't make sound vital, what do you mean? Can there be speech? What music are you going to be using? Will it be super loud and will it overpower any custom sounds? And can I join?
And if I use Flash CS5, would that not work with Flash 8?

cisprivileged and loving it

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-02-23 13:54:32

At 1 day ago, Kembry wrote: June 21, it is kind a long time, I think It will be good enoigh for me to make something beautiful.

That's the theory atleast.

At 19 hours ago, OMK123 wrote: Can the movie contain colors ?

I would prefer the parts be kept greyscale.

At 18 hours ago, EASTBEAST wrote: A couple questions. Is it first come first serve for the spots and no more submissions, or are the best 18 chosen? (Lets say the 18 are chosen, but then someone makes a really good part, is it left out?)

The 18 don't get chosen until the deadline has passed. Experience of collabs tells me that there's some natural turnover in collab members over time anyway, so people on the Waiting List are likely to have plenty of chance to join. The 18 will be the best ones, chosen from the completed parts that are on the main list at the time of the deadline.

Also, if I choose to be layer heavy, can I dump it in a movie-clip for you? If not I'll go light

Well, those layers still take up digital space, even if they're not on the main timeline, so I would prefer them not just dumped in movie clips to hide them.

It seems like spots are filled, but I'd like to call the next opening.

Esty

No worries, I'll put your name on the waiting list.

At 10 hours ago, GuybrushThreepwood47 wrote: Now, when you say don't make sound vital, what do you mean? Can there be speech? What music are you going to be using? Will it be super loud and will it overpower any custom sounds? And can I join?

The parts shouldn't revolve around the sound used in them. The only time it ever really worked in a Sketch Collab was in 2008, and that's because pretty much everyone used sound. It's kind of a case of either everyone or no one. And since last year's was a bastard in terms of file size even with limited sound effects, I would prefer it kept to a minimum.

And the music is selected once the top 18 have been selected, so that we pick a song that best matches the length of the collab. And the song will be chosen from the Audio Portal. I honestly have no idea what it's going to be at this point.

You can't immediately join because we're full, but I can place your name on a waiting list so that when a part becomes available I can notify you.

And if I use Flash CS5, would that not work with Flash 8?

Well, your part will have to be passed around from Flash CS5 to CS4 to CS3 to Flash 8, and converted between them. As long as you've kept it frame-by-framed, there shouldn't be any conversion issues along the way.

At 1 day ago, Travis wrote:
At 10 hours ago, Yhtomit wrote: Awesome. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.
My grandfather passed away. So the basic sketches will be started next friday with that vacation I have coming. I will see if I can pump out a quick preview to.

I'm sorry for your loss.

But yeh, good luck with your part. Just don't rush it too much. You've got time.

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-02-24 23:59:19

I'd like to go in, I've currently just started animation, and i'd like to be known around the interwebs abit. ^_^

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-02-25 03:15:21

At 23 hours ago, MoodyRemix wrote: Well I'll have To Hold The Feel Good Collab.

Can I Be On The Wating list,

here's a example

its just a loop tho
At 3 hours ago, IxRaZoRxI wrote: I'd like to go in, I've currently just started animation, and i'd like to be known around the interwebs abit. ^_^

Yeh, I'll put you both on the Waiting List.

But I do need to make it clear WE ARE FULL. THERE ARE NO MORE OPEN SPOTS, AND THE WAITING LIST IS NOW NINE PEOPLE LONG. I know there's some natural turnover as a collab goes along, but still, you're going to be waiting ages if you join the list now, so perhaps consider if there are other projects or collabs that are more in need of people to help right now before expressing an interest in joining this one.

And on a similar note:

ANYONE WHO DOESN'T POST WITHIN ONE MONTH OF JOINING THE COLLAB WILL BE KICKED FROM THE LIST. THERE IS A HIGH DEMAND FOR SPACES, SO PEOPLE WHO AREN'T MAKING USE OF THEIRS WILL MAKE ROOM FOR PEOPLE WHO WILL. This is just to make sure that people are staying active and paying attention to the thread. I know the deadline's in June, but I don't want this thread to show no progress until May.

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-02-25 03:52:47

At 34 minutes ago, Yhtomit wrote: ANYONE WHO DOESN'T POST WITHIN ONE MONTH OF JOINING THE COLLAB WILL BE KICKED FROM THE LIST. THERE IS A HIGH DEMAND FOR SPACES, SO PEOPLE WHO AREN'T MAKING USE OF THEIRS WILL MAKE ROOM FOR PEOPLE WHO WILL. This is just to make sure that people are staying active and paying attention to the thread. I know the deadline's in June, but I don't want this thread to show no progress until May.

He just wanted to say im still working on my part, I want to make it interesting and detailed so its taking a while.

Current Projects

Bloodline Champions Comedy Series! (episode one in progress)

Project Godai Dynasty (Game)

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-02-25 20:40:15

I'm in I hope

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-02-26 18:54:33

ANYONE WHO DOESN'T POST WITHIN ONE MONTH OF JOINING THE COLLAB WILL BE KICKED FROM THE LIST. THERE IS A HIGH DEMAND FOR SPACES, SO PEOPLE WHO AREN'T MAKING USE OF THEIRS WILL MAKE ROOM FOR PEOPLE WHO WILL. This is just to make sure that people are staying active and paying attention to the thread. I know the deadline's in June, but I don't want this thread to show no progress until May.

I'M PAYING ATTENTION!
I WILL POST REGULARLY!
YOUR ARE OUR COLLAB GOD!

...oh, a butterfly! :O

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-02-27 16:56:57

At 22 hours ago, BurntFoxProductions wrote: YOUR ARE OUR COLLAB GOD!

WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!

It's a Wooley World, but someones got to shave it...

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-02-28 10:48:38

At 3 days ago, Yhtomit wrote: ANYONE WHO DOESN'T POST WITHIN ONE MONTH OF JOINING THE COLLAB WILL BE KICKED FROM THE LIST. THERE IS A HIGH DEMAND FOR SPACES, SO PEOPLE WHO AREN'T MAKING USE OF THEIRS WILL MAKE ROOM FOR PEOPLE WHO WILL. This is just to make sure that people are staying active and paying attention to the thread. I know the deadline's in June, but I don't want this thread to show no progress until May.

K, I know I said I had time but then comes the homework you never see, because teachers always throw sapping, paralyzing sawdust in ones eyes, also known as lazyness syndrome.
Anyway, Imma dig through that, go on my cruise (which is in 2 weeks, being gone 2-3 days) and when I return, my deadlines are met, and I got easter break. So I'll do my shit then!

Good luck everyone! :D

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-02-29 00:14:07

Here's my monthly post! Hope no one has lost their "animating fire"!
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/ebc5cb1d09a84f490f05dd7d df533d5d (my first animation of fire xD)
Good luck to everyone! :)

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-01 17:35:57

Sorry Tim, I can't make a piece for this collab this year, sorry to waste your time.

-Sketchy

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-04 08:03:43

At 5 days ago, WooleyWorld wrote:
At 22 hours ago, BurntFoxProductions wrote: YOUR ARE OUR COLLAB GOD!

WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!

I'm not sure whether to go along with this or not...

At 4 days ago, JonHunter wrote: K, I know I said I had time but then comes the homework you never see, because teachers always throw sapping, paralyzing sawdust in ones eyes, also known as lazyness syndrome.
Anyway, Imma dig through that, go on my cruise (which is in 2 weeks, being gone 2-3 days) and when I return, my deadlines are met, and I got easter break. So I'll do my shit then!

Ok, fair enough. Just as long as you're definitley going to start working on it soon enough.

At 4 days ago, Energyrain wrote: Here's my monthly post! Hope no one has lost their "animating fire"!
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/ebc5cb1d09a84f490f05dd7d df533d5d (my first animation of fire xD)
Good luck to everyone! :)

Nice! That looks like a great starting point for a part! Nice smooth animation, the character's nicely expressive despite the simplicity of the design, which is good, however, the most obvious thing that needs changing is the background. I'm fairly certain I posted a download link to the background we're using, so if you could create a new bottom layer and stick the background image in there, that'd be cool. Other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing how that develops.

At 3 days ago, MoodyRemix wrote: well after my birthday(yesterday)I Pulled A All-Nighter And Made My First Draft

My Entry Draft

comment and tell me how i did

Not bad so far. The first thing that I notice though is that the lines are incredibley thick. I think it'd be better if you went back over that with a thinner brush size, maybe give it more of a sketchy look. Secondly, it is incredibly difficult to work out what's going on because the whole thing moves insanely fast. So yeh, slow it down, and thin out the lines. Other than that, not a bad start.

At 2 days ago, Travis wrote: I have started my vacation. I will begin work here shortly.

I've got an idea for the credits though. I figured I could have the credits roll like normal, but each co-author gets a slide with their name underneath a small sketch doodle likeness of them.

How does that sound?

Hmm... Who would be doing the sketch doodles? I often find that once parts have been put together, it's difficult to get in contact with everyone to get things together for extra bits like that.

Also, part of me's not quite sure you can really start on the credits yet, seeing as we don't actually know precisely whose parts will be in the collab. So yeh, feel free to brainstorm and make test credits, but I wouldn't expect to have anything definite this early on.

At 2 days ago, Sketchy wrote: Sorry Tim, I can't make a piece for this collab this year, sorry to waste your time.

-Sketchy

No worries, things come up all the time.

At 12 hours ago, Monsieur-Monsieur wrote: trying to animaaaaaate

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/653fe0b716d5ccb619000848 283b0d2e

The animation appears smooth so far. Other than that, there's not really much to comment on yet, so keep working on it.

Ok, so here's the updated list:

Preloader/Menu - Yhtomit
Part 1 - WooleyWorld
Part 2 - lucasv
Part 3 - hbrunav
Part 4 - Monsieur-Monsieur
Part 5 - Yhtomit
Part 6 - MihaP
Part 7 - Travis
Part 8 - joekuli
Part 9 - BurntFoxProductions
Part 10 - KingDavid
Part 11 - ForNoReason
Part 12 - tehtimmy4080
Part 13 - RetroSleep
Part 14 - Franckrodri
Part 15 - Kembry
Part 16 - TheMAM
Part 17 - CrazyRock
Part 18 - adman
Part 19 - Damien
Part 20 - Airfaerie95
Part 21 - MKworld
Part 22 - megadrivesonic
Part 23 - cmkinusn
Part 24 - LazyAss23
Part 25 - Energyrain
Part 26 - JonHunter
Credits - Travis

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-04 09:27:05

At 1 hour ago, Yhtomit wrote:
At 5 days ago, WooleyWorld wrote: WE ARE NOT WORTHY!!
I'm not sure whether to go along with this or not...

Haha. Do we have a green light on the shrine? :P

It's a Wooley World, but someones got to shave it...

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-04 15:35:19

Okay great, glad you like what i have so far, and i'll put it on the right background too. Is the color on the fire okay though?

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-04 18:07:55

i just wanted to bug OP, and this is how i go about it

ama gon chill

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-05 09:01:59

*cough*

I still can't find my tablet cable...

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-05 10:53:40

Haven't started yet, but just checking in, will start soon most likely.

BBS Signature

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-05 16:57:47

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-05 19:00:17

Man i wish i had seen this collab erlier.Can i be added to the reserve list please?
I have not been in this collab before but i have made sketch submissions in the past when i didnt have a tablet. And i have got flash8.

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-05 20:24:56

At 1 hour ago, terabiter wrote: Man i wish i had seen this collab erlier.Can i be added to the reserve list please?
I have not been in this collab before but i have made sketch submissions in the past when i didnt have a tablet. And i have got flash8.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/569223
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/571483

OH HEY!!! :D

i don't know why i never told you about this collab!!
sorry about that.
he can put you on the waiting list and you could get in if someone decides to leave :P

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-06 14:38:03

Finally found some time to start working, though I only have 44 frames, I'll post up what I got this week

I live stream my animations on twitch, you could probobly learn something. http://twitch.tv/retrosleep

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-08 11:17:51

heres a preview shot of my entry here

The Sketch Collab 2012

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-08 14:25:21

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-09 03:35:02

I'm still working on it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-09 09:22:10

Im still alive. Im still working.

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-09 10:22:22

Still waiting... for someone to drop out so I can join :P

Writing songs for cigarettes and credit would be cool.

BBS Signature

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-09 12:14:01

heres my entry, i wanted to see what you guys think before i send the fla to the collab director
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/afe583a4305732e943df7a62 8bbf8428

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-09 13:35:45

I.... need to start working on my part.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-09 14:42:39

At 2 hours ago, megadrivesonic wrote: heres my entry, i wanted to see what you guys think before i send the fla to the collab director

I like the animation! It's pretty smoothly drawn too. It is a bit short though, that's the only thing. But, the time limit is 5-20 seconds right? So its looks good to me :)

Response to The Sketch Collab 2012 2012-03-09 15:58:32

At 3 hours ago, megadrivesonic wrote: heres my entry, i wanted to see what you guys think before i send the fla to the collab director

great, but the logo stands out a little too much. make it duller or a little transparent