00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Fuzzrik just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

YouriX Music Reviews

6,730 Views | 60 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-14 23:21:39

Hey I think its cool what you're doing for people here (me and yourself included), and I'd like to see you not burn out on rushing too many out at once. Similarily I'd like to see it flourish and get honed into a manageable system. Might take up some extra work to find a solid routine, but I think it will be worth it.

So I have a few idea's. Have a look at the following picture, I shopped a screenshot real quick then twiddled it.

Looks a bit like a news show setup ... cause that's what it is in a sense.

First thing I added, a little letter box blackness. I know its already in a wide format (I think), and I know NG already darkens out the edges / frames things for you. A little bit more framing though does tighten things. I think most people will agree is it looks good.

In the background I've put a very very soft orange gradient (another secondary color, first being your use of purple). It emanates from where 'you' stand in the frame. Keep it subtle, keep the color complimentary to the purple. Orange really is the best choice. It isn't distracting and it stops the background from being a flat white. Helps soften things, makes you stand out more from the background.

Third, display the album art in a set space off to the left. Keep it there, don't flicker it on and off. When relevant replace another image there to compliment what you say perhaps. After revert back to the album art you're speaking about.

Fourth idea, the lines at the bottom add depth to the image with the gradient I've put on. Makes the third idea seem set on a wall instead of floating in space, similarily with aid of the soft gradient from 2nd idea. It just makes things seem more like a space with depth.

The line that runs infront of you, much like a news show, could display statistics about the album. You could run the albums size in mb, the bit rating of songs, the song names numbered, order, and including the song's run time. If it marquee's across this information over the 2minutes-3 that you speak, it will add some easy, additional, slow movement which is visually going to be more captivating, while also adding more relevant information.

If you're not digging these idea's, I'd urge you to look at images of various news cast shows and choose one and mimic it in a minimalistic form. Bit of movement and depth can go a long long way.

Keep the intro short! After a static image and preloader, a 5-10 second intro might be all you need. Perhaps saying "YouriX Music reviews-views views....". Thats a typed out echo lol. Anything more is maybe wasting potential time to engage the audience with what you want them to see, which isn't your intro, but the actual substance of what you're talking about.

Perhaps when you say something like "My favourite song is this, for that reason", you could play a clip, and have the remainder of the song play out quietly in the background. If the music isn't available, having something that is available by the author playing softly in the background makes sense.

Hope some of this helps!

BBS Signature

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-15 07:41:29

At 12/14/11 11:21 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote: Hope some of this helps!

Some good advice! But i have my own ideas. But your tips are not bad so i will take them in consideration.

At 12/14/11 07:06 PM, Cross666 wrote: You should find an animator who would be down with lending you their skillz

I could. But i wont. The thing is with internet people, is that they can fanish without a trace. And my show could stop or be late for a month or even a year. So i dont think it's a good idea.
Also you can just patiently wait your turn until i review your album. ;)

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-15 10:15:38

Also the fourth episode will be uploaded on Youtube.
The albums i will review is :

ITIS by The Freq aka SpaceWhale
The Wizard EP by Nubbinownz
Days of Yore by Samulis Q. Augustus

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-16 10:20:15

Not necessarily a regular on the forums just yet, but I've noticed a lot of cool people on here and as of today Im going to start becoming active here, beginning with this post! Just finished a four track ambient/electronic EP of mine called Pulsar. Painted the album cover myself, hope you dig it man, love the review idea.

YouriX Music Reviews

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-16 10:21:34

Whoooops, totally forgot the link -___-

http://wheremountainsmeet.bandcamp.com/a lbum/pulsar

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-18 09:36:26

At 12/16/11 10:21 AM, stormalot wrote: Whoooops, totally forgot the link -___-

http://wheremountainsmeet.bandcamp.com/a lbum/pulsar

Listening and i have to say im already diggin it! :D

Tommorow i will start with the animation process.

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-18 14:39:23

Much appreciated man! Can't wait for the review!

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-18 17:09:47

Hey, I watched your flash since they don't use too much data and I dropped by to say that you're doing a good job. Keep up the good work!

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-20 11:19:02

Wanted to say that the new episode will take a tad longer then expected. Since im experimenting with a new format. Also i made a podcast where i can give even deeper reviews to albums and EP's! And also ofcourse i will mention the podcast on my shows ;)

yourix.nl/podcast
Check it out guys! And support! PLEASE! If you have facebook and most likely you do. LIKE my page and comment it. Those really help in spreading the word. So thanks in advance!

Been busting my butt lately but im pretty sure its worth it ;)

YouriX Music Reviews

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-20 11:35:36

At 12/18/11 04:15 PM, SpaceWhale wrote: Thanks again, YouriX. And just to clarify, it's not ITIS (one word), it is IT IS(two words).

LOL i assumed that it was ;)

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-20 17:02:19

new version looks nice. Glad to see you are putting some great work into this. :)

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-20 18:09:37

Digging the podcast man! Little previews of the songs within the review really encourage me to check out the album more, and I enjoy hearing more of what you like about the music

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-24 16:32:43

At 12/20/11 06:09 PM, stormalot wrote: Digging the podcast man! Little previews of the songs within the review really encourage me to check out the album more, and I enjoy hearing more of what you like about the music

Thanks bud! ;)

Anyways the new episode is really taking a bit longer to make since school, work and such are getting in the way. Also im redo - ing the script because it doesnt feel natural. I want it to sound more like me. In real life im a bit crazy and outspoken. And want that in my shows.

Also this will be kind of a spoiler but. The more i listen to IT IS by The Freq. The more im loving it! I LOVE this album!

BUT the reason im posting now. Is because in my second podcast i want to make a playlist of song straight from NG. So just copy and paste your songs here!

YES IT IS OKAY NOW TO POST SONGS HERE NOW. Album reviews will be done in the show ofcourse but the podcast will show case music from NG.

I will review a album first then talk about music and such and then play a music list of music from newgrounds! And i will sure has heck put some songs from the album IT IS in the playlist!

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-24 16:48:21

Take as long as you need... you ARE reviewing THREE albums in one review anyway, so it should take at least three times as long as a single one (it was about a week between the first and second if I remember).

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-24 17:05:07

At 12/24/11 04:48 PM, samulis wrote: Take as long as you need... you ARE reviewing THREE albums in one review anyway, so it should take at least three times as long as a single one (it was about a week between the first and second if I remember).

Haha thanks for understanding :)

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-29 02:23:28

This is an awesome idea! Looks like this might take off! Good luck! :D
Here's a little unreleased album just for your show.
Album title is Ursus Matitimus. :3
since it's unreleased, I'll hafta give you a download link.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2oujk7675wga16 r

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2011-12-29 14:26:45

D: Forgot to include NG song.
www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/445979
There. :D

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2012-01-03 11:14:25

Finally! I made a new episode. The album of Yore needs more time since i need a bit more background information about classical music.

Also please support by 5voting ;)

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2012-01-04 10:52:16

Alright, guys got my new show on youtube! Check it out and like it! Or i will hurt you.. :3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCW9tyrS7 nI

Next Album review
http://samulis.bandcamp.com/album/days-o f-yore

Albums im planning on reviewing

Circle Birds
http://soundcloud.com/perception-music/s ets

KingBastard - Brainfunk
http://kingbastardmusic.com/album/brainf unk

Vegerianmeat - factory refurbished
http://vegetarianmeat.bandcamp.com/album /factory-refurbished

Also got 10th place with the new episode. Got some mixed feelings. But i'll stay positive! :)

YouriX Music Reviews

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2012-01-06 03:42:08

...the four right chords can make me cry

Some mellow jazz

BBS Signature

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2012-01-06 22:36:57

BC | SC | FB

USF4: Ibuki | GGXRD: May | XBL/PSN/Steam: Qelaion

WHAT HAVE I DONE.

BBS Signature

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2012-01-07 01:15:45

At 1/6/12 03:42 AM, Adam-Beilgard wrote: I love you, YouriX!!!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/58 7464

Hahaha! Loved it! XD

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2012-01-07 06:59:52

At 1/7/12 03:32 AM, Avizura wrote: Here's mine ;)

avizura.bandcamp.com

Thanks but could you also post your album art. Because i need it for my Review.

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2012-01-07 12:05:53

Wow. This is my first album ever, back in summer 2010. Many things have changed in my mind, in my way of composing different soundscapes each time, but this is what started it all. :')
The "paradigm shift" of my musical career. I'm really proud of what I was able to do back then, despite the dead ends and the one-way experiments of the time. My sound can now offer much more than this, but it still what I think is one of the most successful works so far. I never did lengthy albums after this (aside from Back to Basics), and I soon abandoned the typical "album" format to a more EP-less-than-30-minutes based distribution. I think it's more immediate this way. Anyway...

I present you my 47-minutes behemoth: Sounds and Vibrations

Finally, Enjoy ^^

YouriX Music Reviews

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2012-01-17 16:44:03

Just want to say im still alive. The review is done just need to do some animation.

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2012-01-29 07:21:44

UPDATE

YouriX Music Reviews EP5 will take a bit longer to make since im planning on doing some more Frame by Frame animation. And also use samples from the albums! Infact on Episode 6 im planning reviewing multiple albums! So stay tuned! Here is EP4 on Youtube!

Hopefully this way more people might get into the Show!

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2012-01-29 07:22:54

Ooops! Here is the link! http://youtu.be/uCW9tyrS7nI

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2012-01-29 08:23:02

At 1/29/12 07:21 AM, YouriX wrote: UPDATE

YouriX Music Reviews EP5 will take a bit longer to make since im planning on doing some more Frame by Frame animation. And also use samples from the albums! Infact on Episode 6 im planning reviewing multiple albums! So stay tuned! Here is EP4 on Youtube!

That's great man, I appreciate what you're doing. ;)

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2012-01-29 09:35:16

At 1/29/12 08:23 AM, KKSlider60 wrote: That's great man, I appreciate what you're doing. ;)

Thanks man! Just so you know i already downloaded your album ;)

Response to YouriX Music Reviews 2012-03-15 09:21:22

Heej guys! Just wanted to say that im not dead and you guys can keep the albums coming! I just got really caught up with this music video! This is the direction i will be going with the YouriX Music Review Series! A frame by frame based animation where you see my random thaughts about your album.

So now i go onwards with the new and better episode of the YOURIX MUSIC REVIEWS!!!