00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sirhenry Studios Art Thread

52,973 Views | 373 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-29 15:59:39

Thanks man, majority of this picture is unfinished, including nightwing. Im gonna start adding some detail now to the buildings, thanks for the feedback.

"Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-29 16:08:33

At 1/29/12 03:59 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote: Thanks man, majority of this picture is unfinished, including nightwing. Im gonna start adding some detail now to the buildings, thanks for the feedback.

Work on a different layer in case the detailing doesn't work as planned.
I honestly do like the way the buildings look right now. At the moment they don't distract from the subject while giving a sense of setting.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-29 16:19:20

At 12/3/11 05:53 PM, Knocturne wrote:
At 12/1/11 12:12 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote: a little more...
Are you using a reference? Looks pretty referenced. Where do you find your references?

well duh, pretty easy to see when someone uses references. (hell i think references should be used for anything someone draws, thats how the professionals do it)

Current Projects

Bloodline Champions Comedy Series! (episode one in progress)

Project Godai Dynasty (Game)

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-29 17:56:53

I use references, only for certain parts though. Not all of my pictures are referenced, some of it, is drawn purely from how I see it in my mind, most of it actually

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-30 00:00:13

I guess nightwings first then...

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-30 03:25:57

Pretty much done with nightwing, might add more to him later on. Next, the buildings...

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-30 03:34:48

At 1/29/12 04:19 PM, cmkinusn wrote:
Are you using a reference? Looks pretty referenced. Where do you find your references?
well duh, pretty easy to see when someone uses references. (hell i think references should be used for anything someone draws, thats how the professionals do it)

Weird to quote something so old...I forget the context but I'm pretty sure I was joking somehow... I've sold art without referencing to create it, that'd make me a professional and prove you wrong so hah!

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-30 03:39:31

At 1/30/12 03:34 AM, Knocturne wrote:
At 1/29/12 04:19 PM, cmkinusn wrote:
Weird to quote something so old...I forget the context but I'm pretty sure I was joking somehow... I've sold art without referencing to create it, that'd make me a professional and prove you wrong so hah!

hahahaha, I was sure you'd catch that comment. To answer your question though, I do reference for some of my paintings, lighting mostly.

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-30 19:54:18

little more...

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-30 20:48:11

At 1/30/12 07:54 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote: little more...

I know it's a wip, but ...once again, you need to watch your positioning. The tall building that extends beyond his back arm needs to go or get moved elsewhere.

The color combo you're using isn't very appealing. He's too dark against the dark background and the blue is too vibrant. The red of the sky is too solid/uniform which makes it look flat. The cloud/smoke on the right is nicely done though... maybe you could add more of that behind him to make him stand out a bit.

He has some anatomy and proportion issues... like his front forearm being too thick. The rest is too small and dark to really comment on... but it's a good start! ;)

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-30 21:07:12

At 1/30/12 08:48 PM, Nae wrote:
At 1/30/12 07:54 PM, sirhenrystudios wrote: little more...
I know it's a wip, but ...once again, you need to watch your positioning. The tall building that extends beyond his back arm needs to go or get moved elsewhere.

The color combo you're using isn't very appealing. He's too dark against the dark background and the blue is too vibrant. The red of the sky is too solid/uniform which makes it look flat. The cloud/smoke on the right is nicely done though... maybe you could add more of that behind him to make him stand out a bit.

He has some anatomy and proportion issues... like his front forearm being too thick. The rest is too small and dark to really comment on... but it's a good start! ;)

whoa, thanks for the critique nae, this is awesome haha. I'm still trying to refine the lighting and get the gradation of the sky just right to mimic the harsh lighting I have. Ill definitely get rid of that building since everyone keeps telling me too, I agree it is a bit distracting. The buildings on the back have gotten darkened, only because I'm about to start detailing them. Im going for the style of the old animated series by painting in the light over a really dark background, while trying to keep everything as close to realistic lighting conditions as possible. I totally see what you mean about the forearm, I think I might have went a bit too far with the lighting, giving it a bigger appearance in comparison to the rest of the arm, I'll also fix that now. Thanks for such a great critique nae!

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-30 23:11:07

changed a few things, removed the building, now I'm playing around with the sky a bit, trying to figure out what works

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-31 06:54:31

almost finished the foreground....

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-31 14:51:34

fixed the perspective, and added some more detail

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-01-31 23:50:45

thats all for tonight...

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-02 01:32:31

had to work today, so not much...

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-02 19:48:24

little more detailing, and I fixed a few things...

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-04 05:45:39

I think Im finished with this....

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-05 21:01:40

At 2/4/12 05:45 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote: I think Im finished with this....

nice dude!
it was cool to see all the steps leading up to this too.
i left a review but ill also leave it here:

"I think the element that impresses me the most about this piece is all the light you considered. Light plays off the buildings in the background as well as the foreground.

also really like the coloring of the actual character."

Current Art Thread some NSFW (2022)

Past Art Thread (2013-2020)

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-05 21:11:05

At 2/5/12 09:01 PM, Spac3case916 wrote:
At 2/4/12 05:45 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote: I think Im finished with this....
nice dude!
it was cool to see all the steps leading up to this too.
i left a review but ill also leave it here:

"I think the element that impresses me the most about this piece is all the light you considered. Light plays off the buildings in the background as well as the foreground.

also really like the coloring of the actual character."

thanks man, I really appreciate you checking out my work. I fucked it up pretty bad, but Im glad you liked it.

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-06 04:34:35

hmmm
fucked up pretty bad? Everything from the first sketch seems like an improvement.

Did it feel fucked up from the beginning? Sometimes I do that; continue on even if it's going to fail. But everyonce in awhile surprises happen

)

wish that would happen more often.

Current Art Thread some NSFW (2022)

Past Art Thread (2013-2020)

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-08 06:21:44

Well, when I start working on something, depending on my mood/state of mind and if I've had sleep that day, I usually feel pretty good about it. If I do, It usually starts feeling fucked up towards the end of a painting, but not always. Sometimes, when I haven't had a lot of sleep, as I'm painting, I think its my best work, only to wake up the next morning and either nitpick every little detail thinking its fucked up, or end up storing it on my computer, never to be seen again.

"To the Depths with ye!

I almost always finish my paintings, something I hadn't been doing for the longest time, which is totally the wrong thing to do. I look at it like this, it could be the worst thing you've ever made, but that's the catch, If you think it is, more than likely there are certain things you see that are wrong or you don't like, so you think of ways you could have done it better. That's the only way that we can learn from our mistakes, you cant get better at something you haven't truly tried your best at it before.

âEUoeOnly when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good thingsâEU

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-15 15:53:41

another portrait, this time of my brother and his wife

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-16 00:47:58

concept...

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-16 01:03:13

You make me sad with all your talent. Lol. Seriously though the Nightwing pic is badass. Just pure badassery. I can't even think of a critique right now.

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-16 02:23:21

At 1 hour ago, MajesticBob wrote: You make me sad with all your talent. Lol. Seriously though the Nightwing pic is badass. Just pure badassery. I can't even think of a critique right now.

haha, thanks man I really appreciate it, I'm glad you liked it.

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-16 02:35:16

At 9 minutes ago, sirhenrystudios wrote:
At 1 hour ago, MajesticBob wrote: You make me sad with all your talent. Lol. Seriously though the Nightwing pic is badass. Just pure badassery. I can't even think of a critique right now.
haha, thanks man I really appreciate it, I'm glad you liked it.

It might be because I'm a little sleep deprived at the moment, but your Nightwing kinda looks like The Ultimate Warrior.

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-16 14:09:09

At 1 hour ago, MajesticBob wrote:
It might be because I'm a little sleep deprived at the moment, but your Nightwing kinda looks like The Ultimate Warrior.

haha, sounds good!

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-17 01:53:02

concept for a model I plan to make...

BBS Signature

Response to Sirhenry Studios Art Thread 2012-02-17 02:16:20

At 21 minutes ago, sirhenrystudios wrote: concept for a model I plan to make...

Reminds me of Raz from Psychonauts.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature