00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Voice Acting Contest 7!

26,112 Views | 296 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-22 22:30:57

I believe that the judges are handling this very well, and I have to say that I was expecting this reaction from someone. It seems that no matter how gently you word your critique, they are going to view it as a personal attack and lash out defensively. That said I already stated that I agree with the judges reviews and I shall try to improve based on that review. I suggest to those that may have been offended, to do the same. Remember, if you can't handle being critiqued, don't pursue ANY kind of acting. Period.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-22 22:36:37

At 10/22/11 10:30 PM, mrbipolar wrote: I believe that the judges are handling this very well, and I have to say that I was expecting this reaction from someone. It seems that no matter how gently you word your critique, they are going to view it as a personal attack and lash out defensively. That said I already stated that I agree with the judges reviews and I shall try to improve based on that review. I suggest to those that may have been offended, to do the same. Remember, if you can't handle being critiqued, don't pursue ANY kind of acting. Period.

Now this is an adult response. Reasonable and critical. Mrbipolar has always taken great pride to all reviews as well as taken them to heart to make him better. He is someone looking to be great. Can't say that for the children though. Our future is doomed. Thank you good sir.

>:[C]

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-22 23:12:30

Just because you're young, doesn't mean you can't have range. Range doesn't mean a higher or lower pitched voice. It could mean that one is raspy, one has an accent, etc... just something that makes it different form the other voices. Of course as your voice matures, it may become easier to do this, but until then you have to make due.

As far as quality is concerned, it is important, especially professionally speaking, but most people on this site are not professionals yet. They may not be able to afford the best equipment so therefore it is unfair for us to take a lot of points away for something that isn't really in their control.

Finally, you mentioned how the others used immature humor, and whether you think it's funny or not, it had no affect on the score. I'm assuming that by this, you were talking about the writing aspect. By writing, it was important to have structure to your skit rather than have it be all over the place. The content didn't really matter. Also, writing wasn't very weighted either.

Overall, I'm sorry you don't agree with our opinions, but that's how it is. Simple as that. It's great that you have so much pride in your work (and you should. It was really good) but it just wasn't as good as some others and didn't quite meet the criteria as well as it could have. One thing that you should take into consideration, if nothing else, is that by being defensive and complaining about the critiques you're getting does not look good on you. Producers on here and especially professionally, if you're looking to go that far, will not stand for that kind of behavior. Most producers would rather work with someone willing to take critiques and direction. And the voice acting industry is a very close knit one, so when you're reputation gets out in a bad way, you won't be landing many roles.

Again, I really do hope you end up at least considering these things we're telling you, because you have a lot of talent and I'd really like to see you enter future contests to see how your progress. If not, then good luck to you with everything else that you do.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-22 23:24:06

Everyone did an awesome job in this contest, regardless of what place they received. I wanted to thank all the judges for taking their time to review each and every production. Congrats to everyone who placed as well!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-22 23:32:22

Sure is rigged in here.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 00:04:06

I just wanted to thank you guys for your judging of my submission. I now realize that everything I've been working for since 7th grade was pointless and stupid.

Apparently, I'm the second worst voice actor you've ever heard.

Thanks. Shattered my dreams.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 00:06:25

At 10/23/11 12:04 AM, Morph94 wrote: I just wanted to thank you guys for your judging of my submission. I now realize that everything I've been working for since 7th grade was pointless and stupid.

^ This.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 00:26:27

Guys, seriously. There's no need for that. You don't see me complaining for not getting 2nd or 1st. As much as I would like to win, I understand why I am placed where I am, and I will use the criticism to mold myself into a better voice actor.

Nothing says that voice acting is exclusive to people. Being criticized is different from being told you are bad. The critique you were given is so the talent you already have can be enhanced. Some may have found their talent sooner, but that doesn't mean you never will.

Now, chin up. Act like a man. Eat a plastic fork and shit out an iron sword...well, not that, but make the best of what you got. Take what you were told into consideration.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 00:28:29

At 10/23/11 12:04 AM, Morph94 wrote: I just wanted to thank you guys for your judging of my submission. I now realize that everything I've been working for since 7th grade was pointless and stupid.

Yours wasn't that bad actually. I've heard A LOT worse. However, when compared to the rest that entered, it really didn't step it up.

If you're serious about it shattering your dreams, all I can say is there's a lot more than just this contest out there to gauge your talent. However, if you're willing to give it up this easily and you've been wanting to go pro, it's probably not the field for you.

My personal recommendation is to keep improving and keep networking with other VA's because you've got the potential to do well.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 01:08:26

At 10/23/11 12:28 AM, JaShinYa wrote:
Yours wasn't that bad actually. I've heard A LOT worse. However, when compared to the rest that entered, it really didn't step it up.

Really? Then why the fu-
Oh, never mind.

If you're serious about it shattering your dreams, all I can say is there's a lot more than just this contest out there to gauge your talent. However, if you're willing to give it up this easily and you've been wanting to go pro, it's probably not the field for you.

Well hey, maybe if I could just get my gosh damn voice out there. I haven't had work in months. I just don't take critique well. I mean, I know my mic isn't the best, but shouldn't 5 years experience count for something? I did the entry pretty quickly, but... come on.

My personal recommendation is to keep improving and keep networking with other VA's because you've got the potential to do well.

But other VA's don't want to network with me. Hell, even Rina-chan (who pretty much talks to anyone) all but ignores me. I even tried contacting VA Radio, and never really got anything back.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 01:58:08

I could really care less about my Newgrounds reputation with you girls. I already make big money voice acting. I should have expected this to happen anyway! Tom shouldn't have handed the contest over to amateurs. You guys can't even rate the submissions' reviews right and follow your own rules! "Disobeying any rules will result in disqualification." (I recall pitch changing was against the rules but there were no disqualifications) All of the judges suck (except for SimCorder)! You guys have fun with your ninjas and pickles!

I probably would have won if I had submitted something like this.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 02:18:34

Humor was not a factor in judging.

Writing was only a minimal factor in judging.

pitching was not against the rules, it was only looked down upon, and I can say (at least on my part) that it did affect the way I judged range by at least 4-5 points out of the total 20 (depending on how much the pitching was used.)

I do apologize that I did not have any critiques for you guys alongside my number results that I sent to josh. I do plan on giving critiques to every entry (the only reason I didn't leave comments for these yet is because being a senior in high school with a job and being involved in a play that has rehearsals that go as late as 8PM on weekdays tends to get pretty busy)

If it will make you guys feel better I can comment with critiques on the submissions of those who seem to have problems with the way this turned out (or at least one of them since the other seems to have removed their submission. I wonder why.)

Anyway, there is nothing to be gained from complaining about results here. If you have a problem with something involving the scores you could vent about it to your friends or something or even contact one or more of the judges. I wouldn't be able to tell you how or why you ended up in the place you did, but I would be able to tell you my opinion on your submission. But complaining on this public forum does nothing but make you look like an immature person who can't take a critique.

And if you can't take a critique, why did you even bother submitting?

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 02:24:17

I can take a critique, it's just that you can't submit a decent one.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 02:26:53

Maybe you can redeem yourself in animator1mike's eyes by critiquing Blonde Hair & Cucumbers?

Love you, Bryson. I swear I'm just having fun here. I didn't even partake in this contest.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 02:37:01

At 10/23/11 02:24 AM, Animator1mike wrote: I can take a critique, it's just that you can't submit a decent one.

And that's the type of immaturity I'm talking about.

I have not given you or ANY submission a critique yet because I DON'T want to do exactly what you think I'm going to do. When I give a critique, I don't want it to be some short, 2 or 3 sentence praise/bash. Honestly I was hesitant to be involved with with contest at all because I knew that we'd get reactions such as yours.

I honestly see no point in continuing discussion with you on here. You can expect my critique to be up on your submission sometime this week.

Now I'm off to do things that are actually pertinent to my life rather than dwelling on some stupid e-drama.

@River: Actually, I think I'll do that now!

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 02:38:28

At 10/23/11 02:24 AM, Animator1mike wrote: I can take a critique, it's just that you can't submit a decent one.

I feel better now.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 02:40:15

I cannot believe you haven't caught on yet!

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 02:46:10

At 10/23/11 02:40 AM, Animator1mike wrote: I cannot believe you haven't caught on yet!

Honestly, if you're trolling about this whole thing then that's honestly a really good troll-move. And if so, hats off to you.

If not though (And you're serious about this whole thing), then it's obvious you are one of those people that are beyond reasoning with.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 02:49:02

At 10/23/11 02:46 AM, baugusbryson wrote:
Honestly, if you're trolling about this whole thing then that's honestly a really good troll-move. And if so, hats off to you.

If not though (And you're serious about this whole thing), then it's obvious you are one of those people that are beyond reasoning with.

Either way, I'm beyond logical reason.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 02:55:25

Either way, I'm beyond logical reason.

Touche

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 03:12:57

I want to say congratulations to the top actors, and I tip my hat to everyone here, even if you didn't make in the top few. I was very impressed with everyone's recordings. The competition was top-notch. Well done all.

My buddy, Seshido (whose storyline I REALLY enjoyed), talked me into signing up here at New Grounds and trying out the contest. I had never done a contest before, but I'm very happy I gave it a try. For a guy who hasn't done voice acting in nearly ten years, couldn't afford expensive equipment, and had his tonsils and adenoids removed just a couple of months ago, being in the top ten is a major win for me. This showed me that maye I've still got something to work with even though the radio days have come and gone. I've got a road of improvement ahead, but that's a good thing. Acting (as with most most things) isn't about winning; being better than you were is the goal.

Finally, let me say thank you to the judges. You took time out of your day to listen and score my work without bias. You guys are the ones who made this happen, all because you enjoy VA. We appreciate all you do. Cheers.

-R.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 03:38:38

At 10/23/11 02:49 AM, Animator1mike wrote: Either way, I'm beyond logical reason.

Lemme guess: you're being a complete asshole and making fun of the fact that I overreacted.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 04:06:19

Congratulations to the winners!

Just woken up (I'm on England time), and even though I haven't come out on top, I'm happy with my placement and glad I had a chance to take part in the contest.
I would like to thank the judges in taking time to give in depth critiques of my work.

I think it's a shame that there has been a lot of resentment in the air from those who have not won. It is natural to be disappointed when you don't win at something, but you have to take from it the good points and pick yourself up to do better next time, and prove yourself. Be grateful that you have been given advice and reason to why you are where you are.

Also, please be considerate of the winners. They have worked hard on their submissions, just as everyone else, and don't deserve people stamping all over their glory when they should be congratulated, and be given time to enjoy winning. Just like we all would if we had won.

Again, congratulations to the winner and runners up, I look forward to competing against you all in the future.

And a little something to cheer up you sour grapes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1N hQ

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 06:41:08

At 10/23/11 04:06 AM, Harlandgirl wrote: And a little something to cheer up you sour grapes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1N hQ

Classy. :)

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 09:22:11

Wow, cool :D I got a fan! Hey everyone, here is their totally badass submission they uploaded on behalf of me!

Gotta tell ya champ, that was awesome. It was almost 4th place material. So since ya went the extra mile to make this, I felt a deep need to make something specifically for you. Hope ya like it :)

>:[C]

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 10:00:29

At 10/23/11 09:22 AM, SirKillington wrote: Wow, cool :D I got a fan! Hey everyone, here is their totally badass submission they uploaded on behalf of me!
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 52234
Gotta tell ya champ, that was awesome. It was almost 4th place material. So since ya went the extra mile to make this, I felt a deep need to make something specifically for you. Hope ya like it :)
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 52282

HAHHHHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HA HAahaahahahhhahaahahahahaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHH AHAHAHHAHAH

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 13:35:31

Wow, got a better score than I expected. I look at it this way, I may be in the bottom half in ranking, but my score isn't that much lower than those above me. I was actually pretty embarrassed of my submission, so getting a decent score is a good confidence booster. I'll work harder next time instead of churning something out while I'm busy with other work. Congrats to the winners! Seeya next time!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 14:22:15

At 10/23/11 09:22 AM, SirKillington wrote:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 52234
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 52282

This is becoming as bad as you tube and its response videos. lol Wonderful

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 15:52:59

You know. I didnt even give my scores on this (I blame college), But honestly, I think my points wouldn't have changed a thing, Zambelis earned that first place with his astounding work.
Endostory.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-23 16:10:54

Thank you judges for the reviews! I'm actually really glad with my score, I expected a lot worse!
Thanks Drewdryden for uploading mine for me!

Watching the reactions has been hilarious.

I will definitely be doing this again, hopefully with some improvements.

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!