New Topic Respond to this Topic
JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 07:49 PM Reply

The scores were averaged because it's more accurate than just adding up all the points. Especially since this time the judges were pretty far apart on some submissions. If any of you want how the scores are broken down per judge, PM me.

Basically, the 6 categories had their own score values which added up to a total of 100. The judges scored each category and I added up the total out of 100

Example:
Acting- 25/35
Range- 13/20
Fit- 11/15
Originality- 10/10
Mixing- 7/10
Writing- 9/10

TOTAL- 75/100

Then say the other judges totals were 89, 64, and 71. I took the average of the 4 totals which would be: 75/100

Like Let's Plays? Click Down Below... *Winky Face*

BBS Signature
MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 07:53 PM Reply

At 10/22/11 07:49 PM, JaShinYa wrote:

each category and I added up the total out of 100

Example:
Acting- 25/35
Range- 13/20
Fit- 11/15
Originality- 10/10
Mixing- 7/10
Writing- 9/10

TOTAL- 75/100

Then say the other judges totals were 89, 64, and 71. I took the average of the 4 totals which would be: 75/100

You going to post those for each submission? That's what I really want to see.

BBS Signature
JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 07:56 PM Reply

At 10/22/11 07:53 PM, Animator1mike wrote:

You going to post those for each submission? That's what I really want to see.

Like i said, PM me and I can show you each judges scores.

BBS Signature
MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 08:08 PM Reply

At 10/22/11 07:56 PM, JaShinYa wrote:
Like i said, PM me and I can show you each judges scores.

Oops, I missed that. I sent you a PM.

BBS Signature
MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 08:42 PM Reply

So, one entry that beat me got a 7/10 in reviews, and I got an 8/10. If my range was the only weak part (according to the review I received from the judges - I have not yet gotten my 'number' scores from JaShinYa) then what brought my score to a 75/100? Sorry my range isn't that great by the way, I AM a 15 year old boy so I can't do a deep man's voice. One entry above me adjusted pitch. Many entries above me peaked multiple times. Many entries above me did not have well thought out stories and they included crude, childish humor. Some entries above me featured horrible acting.
I wish I knew that comedy and immaturity was what you guys were looking for (This excludes a few submissions). I have no further interest in these contests with this panel of judges. Congrats to the winners!

BBS Signature
DrewDryDen
DrewDryDen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 09:01 PM Reply

I was waiting for that reaction. Sorry to everyone who didn't win but also know that the reason you didn't is due to some increadible people who did, in our eyes, just a little bit better then you. If anything it should make you want to do these contests more to keep improving basing of some of the wining skits for reference. None of the judges had it in for anyone and we all gave our honest opinion on what you did. I can say from experience, it was very hard to score these because of how good they all were.
So, sorry you weren't in the top 4, Animator1mic, but that shouldn't deter you it should make you want to do better next time.

No one pays ME in gum...

BBS Signature
JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 09:02 PM Reply

The 7 out of 10 was a mistake. Should have been 8. Either way, those don't have any effect on the score that matters. Audio quality wasn't the most important aspect. Range is weighted more. But like I said before the contest was over, all of the judges did a great job and their opinions should be respected. Besides, it's not like any of us are out to get you. As far as I know, none of us even know you. Everyone was judged fairly and without bias. If you don't want to take part in future contests, I'm sorry you feel that way. Good luck in your future roles.

BBS Signature
MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 09:07 PM Reply

How could I have done better? Could I have pressed the magic range button? That's the only reason I got 11th? Range?

BBS Signature
Jeremyamoto
Jeremyamoto
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 09:25 PM Reply

I've listened to the entries and I have to say, some of them do not deserve their placements at all. I won't name names, but there are quite a few that are incredibly bad, put in high places. I really don't know what to say. I think we have a case of people bumping up their friends here. I'm very disappointed.

As far as quality acting goes, I agree with Mike that range is not a huge deal here. Voice acting isn't about doing stupid voices, it's a about the quality of the project, the small details that go into the whole to create an atmosphere, a story, and a believable character. There is some great talent here, but unfortunately I don't think anyone is qualified to recognize it.

SirKillington
SirKillington
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 10:09 PM Reply

Wow, I think the judges did alright, and I respect them since this is THEIR contest. Sounds like a bunch of children who are angry they didn't get as many cookies as the others. And the judges right now are being completely restrained, composed and professional despite you spitting in their faces. Take what you can from this contest and become better. Placement is not a matter of "winning." Its getting your work critically reviewed in order for you to become better. Getting a prize is a bonus, the point of this is to bring in great VA to challenge you. So get the damn chip off your shoulder, your only proving how immature you are. And since that is something you are so concerned with, I suggest you adjust it.

>:[C]

BBS Signature
DrewDryDen
DrewDryDen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 10:15 PM Reply

So everyone knows, I don't have any friends. I really do hate all of you and I'd like to keep it that way. So bumping friends can't really happen cause I hate all of you equally. Nuff said.

No one pays ME in gum...

BBS Signature
mrbipolar
mrbipolar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 10:30 PM Reply

I believe that the judges are handling this very well, and I have to say that I was expecting this reaction from someone. It seems that no matter how gently you word your critique, they are going to view it as a personal attack and lash out defensively. That said I already stated that I agree with the judges reviews and I shall try to improve based on that review. I suggest to those that may have been offended, to do the same. Remember, if you can't handle being critiqued, don't pursue ANY kind of acting. Period.

SirKillington
SirKillington
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 10:36 PM Reply

At 10/22/11 10:30 PM, mrbipolar wrote: I believe that the judges are handling this very well, and I have to say that I was expecting this reaction from someone. It seems that no matter how gently you word your critique, they are going to view it as a personal attack and lash out defensively. That said I already stated that I agree with the judges reviews and I shall try to improve based on that review. I suggest to those that may have been offended, to do the same. Remember, if you can't handle being critiqued, don't pursue ANY kind of acting. Period.

Now this is an adult response. Reasonable and critical. Mrbipolar has always taken great pride to all reviews as well as taken them to heart to make him better. He is someone looking to be great. Can't say that for the children though. Our future is doomed. Thank you good sir.

>:[C]

BBS Signature
JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 11:12 PM Reply

Just because you're young, doesn't mean you can't have range. Range doesn't mean a higher or lower pitched voice. It could mean that one is raspy, one has an accent, etc... just something that makes it different form the other voices. Of course as your voice matures, it may become easier to do this, but until then you have to make due.

As far as quality is concerned, it is important, especially professionally speaking, but most people on this site are not professionals yet. They may not be able to afford the best equipment so therefore it is unfair for us to take a lot of points away for something that isn't really in their control.

Finally, you mentioned how the others used immature humor, and whether you think it's funny or not, it had no affect on the score. I'm assuming that by this, you were talking about the writing aspect. By writing, it was important to have structure to your skit rather than have it be all over the place. The content didn't really matter. Also, writing wasn't very weighted either.

Overall, I'm sorry you don't agree with our opinions, but that's how it is. Simple as that. It's great that you have so much pride in your work (and you should. It was really good) but it just wasn't as good as some others and didn't quite meet the criteria as well as it could have. One thing that you should take into consideration, if nothing else, is that by being defensive and complaining about the critiques you're getting does not look good on you. Producers on here and especially professionally, if you're looking to go that far, will not stand for that kind of behavior. Most producers would rather work with someone willing to take critiques and direction. And the voice acting industry is a very close knit one, so when you're reputation gets out in a bad way, you won't be landing many roles.

Again, I really do hope you end up at least considering these things we're telling you, because you have a lot of talent and I'd really like to see you enter future contests to see how your progress. If not, then good luck to you with everything else that you do.

BBS Signature
SeiyruRenaih
SeiyruRenaih
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Gamer
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 11:24 PM Reply

Everyone did an awesome job in this contest, regardless of what place they received. I wanted to thank all the judges for taking their time to review each and every production. Congrats to everyone who placed as well!

RiverK
RiverK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 22nd, 2011 @ 11:32 PM Reply

Sure is rigged in here.

Morph94
Morph94
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 12:04 AM Reply

I just wanted to thank you guys for your judging of my submission. I now realize that everything I've been working for since 7th grade was pointless and stupid.

Apparently, I'm the second worst voice actor you've ever heard.

Thanks. Shattered my dreams.

BBS Signature
RiverK
RiverK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 12:06 AM Reply

At 10/23/11 12:04 AM, Morph94 wrote: I just wanted to thank you guys for your judging of my submission. I now realize that everything I've been working for since 7th grade was pointless and stupid.

^ This.

TomStheVoice
TomStheVoice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 12:26 AM Reply

Guys, seriously. There's no need for that. You don't see me complaining for not getting 2nd or 1st. As much as I would like to win, I understand why I am placed where I am, and I will use the criticism to mold myself into a better voice actor.

Nothing says that voice acting is exclusive to people. Being criticized is different from being told you are bad. The critique you were given is so the talent you already have can be enhanced. Some may have found their talent sooner, but that doesn't mean you never will.

Now, chin up. Act like a man. Eat a plastic fork and shit out an iron sword...well, not that, but make the best of what you got. Take what you were told into consideration.

JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 12:28 AM Reply

At 10/23/11 12:04 AM, Morph94 wrote: I just wanted to thank you guys for your judging of my submission. I now realize that everything I've been working for since 7th grade was pointless and stupid.

Yours wasn't that bad actually. I've heard A LOT worse. However, when compared to the rest that entered, it really didn't step it up.

If you're serious about it shattering your dreams, all I can say is there's a lot more than just this contest out there to gauge your talent. However, if you're willing to give it up this easily and you've been wanting to go pro, it's probably not the field for you.

My personal recommendation is to keep improving and keep networking with other VA's because you've got the potential to do well.

BBS Signature
Morph94
Morph94
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 01:08 AM Reply

At 10/23/11 12:28 AM, JaShinYa wrote:
Yours wasn't that bad actually. I've heard A LOT worse. However, when compared to the rest that entered, it really didn't step it up.

Really? Then why the fu-
Oh, never mind.

If you're serious about it shattering your dreams, all I can say is there's a lot more than just this contest out there to gauge your talent. However, if you're willing to give it up this easily and you've been wanting to go pro, it's probably not the field for you.

Well hey, maybe if I could just get my gosh damn voice out there. I haven't had work in months. I just don't take critique well. I mean, I know my mic isn't the best, but shouldn't 5 years experience count for something? I did the entry pretty quickly, but... come on.

My personal recommendation is to keep improving and keep networking with other VA's because you've got the potential to do well.

But other VA's don't want to network with me. Hell, even Rina-chan (who pretty much talks to anyone) all but ignores me. I even tried contacting VA Radio, and never really got anything back.

BBS Signature
MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 01:58 AM Reply

I could really care less about my Newgrounds reputation with you girls. I already make big money voice acting. I should have expected this to happen anyway! Tom shouldn't have handed the contest over to amateurs. You guys can't even rate the submissions' reviews right and follow your own rules! "Disobeying any rules will result in disqualification." (I recall pitch changing was against the rules but there were no disqualifications) All of the judges suck (except for SimCorder)! You guys have fun with your ninjas and pickles!

I probably would have won if I had submitted something like this.

• Blonde Hair and Cucumbers
    Blonde Hair and Cucumbers by Animator1mike

Click to listen.

Score
    0 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Comedy
    Popularity

BBS Signature
baugusbryson
baugusbryson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 02:18 AM Reply

Humor was not a factor in judging.

Writing was only a minimal factor in judging.

pitching was not against the rules, it was only looked down upon, and I can say (at least on my part) that it did affect the way I judged range by at least 4-5 points out of the total 20 (depending on how much the pitching was used.)

I do apologize that I did not have any critiques for you guys alongside my number results that I sent to josh. I do plan on giving critiques to every entry (the only reason I didn't leave comments for these yet is because being a senior in high school with a job and being involved in a play that has rehearsals that go as late as 8PM on weekdays tends to get pretty busy)

If it will make you guys feel better I can comment with critiques on the submissions of those who seem to have problems with the way this turned out (or at least one of them since the other seems to have removed their submission. I wonder why.)

Anyway, there is nothing to be gained from complaining about results here. If you have a problem with something involving the scores you could vent about it to your friends or something or even contact one or more of the judges. I wouldn't be able to tell you how or why you ended up in the place you did, but I would be able to tell you my opinion on your submission. But complaining on this public forum does nothing but make you look like an immature person who can't take a critique.

And if you can't take a critique, why did you even bother submitting?

BBS Signature
MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 02:24 AM Reply

I can take a critique, it's just that you can't submit a decent one.

BBS Signature
RiverK
RiverK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 02:26 AM Reply

Maybe you can redeem yourself in animator1mike's eyes by critiquing Blonde Hair & Cucumbers?

• Blonde Hair and Cucumbers
    Blonde Hair and Cucumbers by Animator1mike

Click to listen.

Score
    3.13 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Comedy
    Popularity

Love you, Bryson. I swear I'm just having fun here. I didn't even partake in this contest.

baugusbryson
baugusbryson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 02:37 AM Reply

At 10/23/11 02:24 AM, Animator1mike wrote: I can take a critique, it's just that you can't submit a decent one.

And that's the type of immaturity I'm talking about.

I have not given you or ANY submission a critique yet because I DON'T want to do exactly what you think I'm going to do. When I give a critique, I don't want it to be some short, 2 or 3 sentence praise/bash. Honestly I was hesitant to be involved with with contest at all because I knew that we'd get reactions such as yours.

I honestly see no point in continuing discussion with you on here. You can expect my critique to be up on your submission sometime this week.

Now I'm off to do things that are actually pertinent to my life rather than dwelling on some stupid e-drama.

@River: Actually, I think I'll do that now!

BBS Signature
Morph94
Morph94
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 02:38 AM Reply

At 10/23/11 02:24 AM, Animator1mike wrote: I can take a critique, it's just that you can't submit a decent one.

I feel better now.

BBS Signature
MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 02:40 AM Reply

I cannot believe you haven't caught on yet!

BBS Signature
baugusbryson
baugusbryson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 02:46 AM Reply

At 10/23/11 02:40 AM, Animator1mike wrote: I cannot believe you haven't caught on yet!

Honestly, if you're trolling about this whole thing then that's honestly a really good troll-move. And if so, hats off to you.

If not though (And you're serious about this whole thing), then it's obvious you are one of those people that are beyond reasoning with.

BBS Signature
MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 02:49 AM Reply

At 10/23/11 02:46 AM, baugusbryson wrote:
Honestly, if you're trolling about this whole thing then that's honestly a really good troll-move. And if so, hats off to you.

If not though (And you're serious about this whole thing), then it's obvious you are one of those people that are beyond reasoning with.

Either way, I'm beyond logical reason.

BBS Signature