BBS Signature
psychohit71
psychohit71
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 03:12 AM Reply

I want to say congratulations to the top actors, and I tip my hat to everyone here, even if you didn't make in the top few. I was very impressed with everyone's recordings. The competition was top-notch. Well done all.

My buddy, Seshido (whose storyline I REALLY enjoyed), talked me into signing up here at New Grounds and trying out the contest. I had never done a contest before, but I'm very happy I gave it a try. For a guy who hasn't done voice acting in nearly ten years, couldn't afford expensive equipment, and had his tonsils and adenoids removed just a couple of months ago, being in the top ten is a major win for me. This showed me that maye I've still got something to work with even though the radio days have come and gone. I've got a road of improvement ahead, but that's a good thing. Acting (as with most most things) isn't about winning; being better than you were is the goal.

Finally, let me say thank you to the judges. You took time out of your day to listen and score my work without bias. You guys are the ones who made this happen, all because you enjoy VA. We appreciate all you do. Cheers.

-R.

Morph94
Morph94
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 03:38 AM Reply

At 10/23/11 02:49 AM, Animator1mike wrote: Either way, I'm beyond logical reason.

Lemme guess: you're being a complete asshole and making fun of the fact that I overreacted.

BBS Signature
Harlandgirl
Harlandgirl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 04:06 AM Reply

Congratulations to the winners!

Just woken up (I'm on England time), and even though I haven't come out on top, I'm happy with my placement and glad I had a chance to take part in the contest.
I would like to thank the judges in taking time to give in depth critiques of my work.

I think it's a shame that there has been a lot of resentment in the air from those who have not won. It is natural to be disappointed when you don't win at something, but you have to take from it the good points and pick yourself up to do better next time, and prove yourself. Be grateful that you have been given advice and reason to why you are where you are.

Also, please be considerate of the winners. They have worked hard on their submissions, just as everyone else, and don't deserve people stamping all over their glory when they should be congratulated, and be given time to enjoy winning. Just like we all would if we had won.

Again, congratulations to the winner and runners up, I look forward to competing against you all in the future.

And a little something to cheer up you sour grapes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1N hQ

psychohit71
psychohit71
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 06:41 AM Reply

At 10/23/11 04:06 AM, Harlandgirl wrote: And a little something to cheer up you sour grapes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1N hQ

Classy. :)

SirKillington
SirKillington
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 09:22 AM Reply

Wow, cool :D I got a fan! Hey everyone, here is their totally badass submission they uploaded on behalf of me!

• Blonde Hair and Cucumbers
    Blonde Hair and Cucumbers by Animator1mike

Click to listen.

Score
    3.36 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Comedy
    Popularity

Gotta tell ya champ, that was awesome. It was almost 4th place material. So since ya went the extra mile to make this, I felt a deep need to make something specifically for you. Hope ya like it :)

• Buck up Cupcake
    Buck up Cupcake by SirKillington

Click to listen.

Score
    5.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Voice Demo
    Popularity

>:[C]

BBS Signature
MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 10:00 AM Reply

At 10/23/11 09:22 AM, SirKillington wrote: Wow, cool :D I got a fan! Hey everyone, here is their totally badass submission they uploaded on behalf of me!
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 52234
Gotta tell ya champ, that was awesome. It was almost 4th place material. So since ya went the extra mile to make this, I felt a deep need to make something specifically for you. Hope ya like it :)
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 52282

HAHHHHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HA HAahaahahahhhahaahahahahaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHH AHAHAHHAHAH

BBS Signature
Seshido
Seshido
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 01:35 PM Reply

Wow, got a better score than I expected. I look at it this way, I may be in the bottom half in ranking, but my score isn't that much lower than those above me. I was actually pretty embarrassed of my submission, so getting a decent score is a good confidence booster. I'll work harder next time instead of churning something out while I'm busy with other work. Congrats to the winners! Seeya next time!

JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 02:22 PM Reply

At 10/23/11 09:22 AM, SirKillington wrote:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 52234
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 52282

This is becoming as bad as you tube and its response videos. lol Wonderful

Like Let's Plays? Click Down Below... *Winky Face*

BBS Signature
Seymour
Seymour
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 03:52 PM Reply

You know. I didnt even give my scores on this (I blame college), But honestly, I think my points wouldn't have changed a thing, Zambelis earned that first place with his astounding work.
Endostory.

starwarsjunkie
starwarsjunkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Writer
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 04:10 PM Reply

Thank you judges for the reviews! I'm actually really glad with my score, I expected a lot worse!
Thanks Drewdryden for uploading mine for me!

Watching the reactions has been hilarious.

I will definitely be doing this again, hopefully with some improvements.

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

Seshido
Seshido
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 05:36 PM Reply

As a response to all the sour grapes out there, listen. There is no such thing as losing in this business. The only time you lose is when you give up. When you quit. As a professional actor (you probably haven't seen me in anything unless you're a SERIOUS film festival goer or theater goer) I've met a lot of famous people, and the best advice I was ever given was from playwright Edward Albee.

"Excellence does not mean acceptance."

You can give the greatest piece in the world, and it doesn't mean that anyone will like it. Mr. Albee told me that what he considers his best plays were never successful and what he considers some of his worst were big hits. Shakespeare had mild success in his life, now he's the end all be all of theater. Van Gough was so unsuccessful as an artist that he killed himself so he wouldn't starve to death, and now his paintings are appraised as the most valuable in existence.

Winning doesn't come from a prize or a ranking or recognition, it comes from perseverance. No matter what place you come in, rejoice in the fact that people heard you! People saw your work! That's the only thing we can ever hope for. We are artists, not politicians. We don't need the vote. If even one person enjoys our work, we've won!

Don't be discouraged, be encouraged to keep on!

SirKillington
SirKillington
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 05:49 PM Reply

Awesome stuff, I agree whole heatedly. This was something to make us better. Blue ribbons fade, trophies break and tarnish but experience sticks with you forever and only makes you stronger, builds character and will be the one thing you always go back to for guidance.

BBS Signature
Seshido
Seshido
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 05:51 PM Reply

Let's make a baby together!

TheChadintheHat
TheChadintheHat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 07:39 PM Reply

I thoroughly enjoyed all of the effort that all of you voice actors put on in regards to this contest. I may not have a great mic or a mixing tool like some of you do but I think I may give it a try just for the hell of it ( Any advice and links would naturally be helpful and appreciated ). How do you guys decide the topic of the contest and when will the next scheduled one be announced?? ( It is just a thought but how about making a poll to let the people choose the most desired topic )

...Wow, I almost cleared this form, that would not have been good. Not a very good place for that button to be. Just a suggestion to newgrounds that that should be moved a little to the left.

SirKillington
SirKillington
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 09:16 PM Reply

At 10/23/11 05:51 PM, Seshido wrote: Let's make a baby together!

Yes, a mutant monster knowledge infected experience having love baby :D

BBS Signature
SirKillington
SirKillington
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 09:38 PM Reply

At 10/23/11 09:16 PM, SirKillington wrote:

I couldn't help it, I had to see its beautiful eyes. Look at your son, LOOK AT IT!

Voice Acting Contest 7!

BBS Signature
TomStheVoice
TomStheVoice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 10:17 PM Reply

At 10/23/11 09:38 PM, SirKillington wrote:
I couldn't help it, I had to see its beautiful eyes. Look at your son, LOOK AT IT!

Awww! It has each of your eyes!

...no really, it has a pair for EACH of your eyes.

psychohit71
psychohit71
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 10:24 PM Reply

BABY RUTH!

JaShinYa
JaShinYa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 10:34 PM Reply

HEY YOU GUUUUYYYYSSS!!!

Also, at TheChadinthehat, I would love suggestions on a theme for the next contest. I'm not sure when it's going to be. I have to ask Tom how far apart he wants them to be. But anyway, if a bunch of people give suggestions, I can make a poll!

Like Let's Plays? Click Down Below... *Winky Face*

BBS Signature
mrbipolar
mrbipolar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 23rd, 2011 @ 11:08 PM Reply

That's just beautiful. And TheChadinthehat, JaShinYa didn't plug it but you could check out VA radio (the link is in his signature). They have lots of good tips in their podcast and are certainly there to help, join the forum there too and you can ask questions there and have them answered and you can also email them and have them answered as well or maybe even be a topic in a future podcast. Check them out. I will also try to help as much as I can, just shoot me a pm if you want. I am very approachable.

Seshido
Seshido
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 24th, 2011 @ 01:21 PM Reply

I shall name him....er....I shall name it, Fukky. He will tend to my iguana ranch until he reaches the proper age. Upon that time he will become a master librarian only to perish the following year in an epic duel to the death with a bologna sandwich.

SirKillington
SirKillington
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 24th, 2011 @ 04:05 PM Reply

At 10/24/11 01:21 PM, Seshido wrote:
I shall name him....er....I shall name it, Fukky. He will tend to my iguana ranch until he reaches the proper age. Upon that time he will become a master librarian only to perish the following year in an epic duel to the death with a bologna sandwich.

Well......... lets just throw the bologna in the crib and see who wins, jab a hickory stick and furiously wiggle it around to get them riled up. This damn thing isn't outliving me!

BBS Signature
Tydusis
Tydusis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 24th, 2011 @ 05:18 PM Reply

At 10/23/11 05:36 PM, Seshido wrote: As a response to all the sour grapes out there, listen. There is no such thing as losing in this business. The only time you lose is when you give up. When you quit. As a professional actor (you probably haven't seen me in anything unless you're a SERIOUS film festival goer or theater goer) I've met a lot of famous people, and the best advice I was ever given was from playwright Edward Albee.

"Excellence does not mean acceptance."

You can give the greatest piece in the world, and it doesn't mean that anyone will like it. Mr. Albee told me that what he considers his best plays were never successful and what he considers some of his worst were big hits. Shakespeare had mild success in his life, now he's the end all be all of theater. Van Gough was so unsuccessful as an artist that he killed himself so he wouldn't starve to death, and now his paintings are appraised as the most valuable in existence.

Winning doesn't come from a prize or a ranking or recognition, it comes from perseverance. No matter what place you come in, rejoice in the fact that people heard you! People saw your work! That's the only thing we can ever hope for. We are artists, not politicians. We don't need the vote. If even one person enjoys our work, we've won!

Don't be discouraged, be encouraged to keep on!

Inspiring! Well said! And in that spirit, I quote Marcus Aurelius:
"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."

Never assume something to be impossible, and if someone, somewhere can do something, you can do it, too.

c-m _____________________
:-D <"YEAH! YOU CAN DO IT!!"|
c-w --------------------------------

Voice Acting Contest 7!

Latest Creation: Wiretapped Wormhole | Website: Tydusis.com | Also, check out this webcomic I like: Inhuman

BBS Signature
Seshido
Seshido
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 24th, 2011 @ 08:41 PM Reply

Well......... lets just throw the bologna in the crib and see who wins, jab a hickory stick and furiously wiggle it around to get them riled up. This damn thing isn't outliving me!

How can you say that about your own.....um....uh.....child......thing...
..?

MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 24th, 2011 @ 09:00 PM Reply

Thanks for the pep talk, girls.

BBS Signature
TomStheVoice
TomStheVoice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 25th, 2011 @ 12:48 AM Reply

At 10/24/11 09:00 PM, Animator1mike wrote: Thanks for the pep talk, girls.

.... wait. SirKillington is a guy, and most of the other people discussing are also...and you...and I...der, bur...hurda derpy hudrer berper....what?

MichaelJ
MichaelJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Voice Actor
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 25th, 2011 @ 05:47 AM Reply

At 10/25/11 12:48 AM, TomStheVoice wrote: .... wait. SirKillington is a guy, and most of the other people discussing are also...and you...and I...der, bur...hurda derpy hudrer berper....what?

You didn't pass digital communications class did you?

BBS Signature
TomStheVoice
TomStheVoice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 25th, 2011 @ 12:39 PM Reply

At 10/25/11 05:47 AM, Animator1mike wrote:
At 10/25/11 12:48 AM, TomStheVoice wrote: .... wait. SirKillington is a guy, and most of the other people discussing are also...and you...and I...der, bur...hurda derpy hudrer berper....what?
You didn't pass digital communications class did you?

Is that a culinary class?

Jakspeed
Jakspeed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! Oct. 25th, 2011 @ 12:47 PM Reply

At 10/24/11 05:18 PM, Tydusis wrote:
Inspiring! Well said! And in that spirit, I quote Marcus Aurelius:
"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also."

Never assume something to be impossible, and if someone, somewhere can do something, you can do it, too.

And to quote Anthony Hopkins in The Edge, "What one man can do, another can do! Say it with me Bob! What one man can do, ANOTHER CAN DO!"

Alternative Country/Folk, take a listen!

I do my own music, I'd appreciate it if y'all would take a listen, you never know what you might hear.