00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Voice Acting Contest 7!

26,109 Views | 296 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-08 14:48:16

Wow. 15 entries and still 2 days remaining. This competition is gonna be fierce. I wish everyone good luck! May the Best Voice Actor win!

On a side note, you judges have DEFINITELY got your work cut out for you... I hope you don't get hand cramps typing the reviews and/or bleeding ears from listening to all the entries in order to critique them.

Either way I am truly excited to see the results even if I am not one of the winners, there is a lot of good talent showing up for this shindig. Most I have never seen before. So that's cool.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-08 16:21:44

I'd just like to publically thank Animator1mike for leaving a review on EVERY SINGLE submission. That's super awesome of you, man!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-08 18:57:24

At 10/5/11 10:59 PM, ivoice83 wrote: Hey guys!
I just uploaded my submission to the audio portal...but since I'm a new member, it looks like it may take awhile to get it approved...Hope I don't miss the contest....was great fun making the submission! :D

I'm in the same boat. Just uploaded, but won't make the deadline as this is my first time. If only I'd known!! I don't have any friends who have submitted audio before either.

Ah well, I feel good having submitted it either way!

Grungy Mech action in 1940s Russia! Read Iron and Ice!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-08 19:18:18

I'm half-way done with mine ... if for any reason I'll have to submit a partial entry, which is still freakin 3 minutes long ... I think i bit off my than I can chew ...

don't worry, the final piece is less than 6 minutes ... if I can finsh it lol

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-09 04:08:02

I know the original post doesn't really say anything about whether vocal pitching is allowed or not, but I just thought I'd put it out there that I will be counting off a few range points (not anything too harsh though) if contestants resort to using vocal-pitching to attain a character voice. I personally believe vocal range should mean what you can pull off using your voice alone without the aid of computers, so that is my reasoning; however, I have no problem with vocal effects such as reverb and whatnot as long as I can hear your voice clearly enough to be able to judge it fairly.

Anywayyy on a lighter note, I cant wait to start judging these entries and hear a few of the future ones that come in by tomorrow!

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-09 09:13:26

I'd just like to publically thank Animator1mike for leaving a review on EVERY SINGLE submission. That's super awesome of you, man!

Yeah, I did it because I wanted to listen to them all to see what I was up against, and I kind of wanted some more reviews myself. (that didn't work -.-) I really think that if you enter this contest and think you have a chance to win, that you should listen to all of the entries.

I know the original post doesn't really say anything about whether vocal pitching is allowed or not, but I just thought I'd put it out there that I will be counting off a few range points (not anything too harsh though) if contestants resort to using vocal-pitching to attain a character voice. I personally believe vocal range should mean what you can pull off using your voice alone without the aid of computers, so that is my reasoning; however, I have no problem with vocal effects such as reverb and whatnot as long as I can hear your voice clearly enough to be able to judge it fairly.

I TOTALLY agree, I think using pitch change should even get you disqualified. That is not honest at all. Did anyone do that? I remember when listening that there was one voice somewhere that sounded a little off, but I don't think anyone did it.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-09 12:02:15

The closest I came to using computers to change my voice was adding a flange and chorus effect to make the character sound cybernetic, and if that merits a point loss I completely understand.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-09 12:45:05

As far as the pitch changing goes, I should have added the vocal manipulation rules in. That's my fault that I didn't add ti in so there won't be any disqualifying. However, I do think it's appropriate to take points off for using it. It just seems like common sense when range is a judging point.

Robotic voices are fine when you're just trying to create the digitally sound as long as you're not making it high pitch like Grr from Invader Zim. haha

Also, since DrewDryDen so graciously volunteered to submit someone's entry, maybe you can ask him to submit yours?

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-09 18:36:00

My piece is 6 minutes ... NG audio adds 1 second.

I had to cut and tweak about 30 seconds out ... I hope your all like it. It was super stressful, but extremely rewarding.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-09 19:31:35

I heard one entry where it really sounded like someone lowered the pitch of their voice. Not going to name any names, because it's really not my place to do that (plus I don't actually remember which entry it was). It WAS one of the better entries though, if I remember correctly.

All I used in mine was the reverb effect on my "God" character

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-09 20:16:10

Yeh it should be an obvious rule and I don't think I heard any of the entries use pitch altering effects, but you just never know. Maybe a more scrutinizing ear will pick up on it. I don't know. And RicePirate, I like the way that the picture for your submission makes it look like Santa is making an "O" face. I will assume that is intentional. Either way that made me laugh.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-09 22:05:01

It was not intentional, but I noticed it too and was very happy to see that.

.o.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 00:16:25

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 03:01:47

so here it is... the last day to submit/edit our entries. I guess that means it is "sink or swim time" huh?

I've said it once already, but I will say it again. Good luck everyone!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 09:28:38

I'm gonna really start looking for more of these contests. I have learned so much from so many really frickin' good submissions by talented people. Ya gotta mix it up with the best to be one of em. I appreciate this thing and I'm glad I entered into. I am definitely not of the same caliber as others on here, but I have been inspired to become something more. Thanks everyone who entered and those who made the contest. (Bleh, that's enough kindness for the year)

>:[C]

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 09:42:45

^ everything you said, sans the parenthetical about being nice.

Also, any word about Seymour or Apatheria?

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 14:07:29

At 10/10/11 09:42 AM, RicePirate wrote: ^ everything you said, sans the parenthetical about being nice.

Also, any word about Seymour or Apatheria?

Seymour is a judge and Apatheria said he would submit something, but times a runnin' out.

This contest has had an awesome turnout! I'm really excited about this.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 14:19:50

Also, for any of you who have been listening to Voice Acting Radio, we're having a poll on our website to see what features to add for season 2!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 15:50:26

I'm really excited to see any last minute submissions. Everyone has done a frawesome job on this. It really pushes voice actors to be creative with their work. I'm just ready for my critiques so I can make my next submission better!

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 16:04:13

At 10/10/11 03:50 PM, SeiyruRenaih wrote: I'm really excited to see any last minute submissions. Everyone has done a frawesome job on this. It really pushes voice actors to be creative with their work. I'm just ready for my critiques so I can make my next submission better!

I second that! I am on pins and needles so to speak.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 21:31:39

At 10/9/11 06:36 PM, RicePirate wrote: My piece is 6 minutes ... NG audio adds 1 second.

I had to cut and tweak about 30 seconds out ... I hope your all like it. It was super stressful, but extremely rewarding.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 49966

If you don't win...
There is no God.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 22:38:29

Looks like it's me to the rescue yet again! This is Starwarsjunkie's submission submitted with just minutes to spare!

Good Luck

...great now I can finally get to sleep...

No one pays ME in gum...

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 22:38:46

At 10/10/11 09:31 PM, JoeyNG wrote: If you don't win...
There is no God.

I appreciate the support, but honestly, there was a ton of talent all around. Plenty of different stories and different types of voices.

Just completing my entry was a reward in of itself. If I place, I'll be happy.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 22:42:46

A super last minute entry!

To save the world as you know it.

Something mildly experimental :)

Horror ambiance was crafted via my voice as well. All monster groans, screams etc. are also my voice.

Posted on my other account because I was banned from the audio portal when I was 13 on this account.

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 22:44:12

At 10/10/11 10:38 PM, RicePirate wrote:
At 10/10/11 09:31 PM, JoeyNG wrote: If you don't win...
There is no God.
I appreciate the support, but honestly, there was a ton of talent all around. Plenty of different stories and different types of voices.

Just completing my entry was a reward in of itself. If I place, I'll be happy.

yea sorry Mick but your submission was 1 sec over immediate disqualification. I hate to be the bad guy but look at my Aura it says I'm evil so...ya know...

No one pays ME in gum...

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 23:06:12

You think you're evil ... I've got some cheesey Swedish Ass ninjas just waiting to strike.

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 23:09:08

Hey I reviewed all of the submissions now everyone has to review mine! YEAH!

BBS Signature

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 23:12:03

So when do all the cool animators make animations of everyones voice files animation animations?

When everyone gets the front page for being awesome?

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 23:21:32

At 10/9/11 04:08 AM, baugusbryson wrote: I know the original post doesn't really say anything about whether vocal pitching is allowed or not, but I just thought I'd put it out there that I will be counting off a few range points (not anything too harsh though) if contestants resort to using vocal-pitching to attain a character voice. I personally believe vocal range should mean what you can pull off using your voice alone without the aid of computers, so that is my reasoning; however, I have no problem with vocal effects such as reverb and whatnot as long as I can hear your voice clearly enough to be able to judge it fairly.

Anywayyy on a lighter note, I cant wait to start judging these entries and hear a few of the future ones that come in by tomorrow!

I'd been working my way through post production before I'd seen this.

While I did nothing dramatic, I'll admit I dropped my voice a semi-tone because it rang with the flanger and chorus a touch better and gave an additive little warmth within the overall effect. I also used a wide variety of filters on quite a few different voices to generate the horror ambiance I used to make it more homely and voice-acting like. Am I going to be disqualified because a few of my voices (There are a lot in there x_x) Don't sound human? I used my voice to generate Silent Hill-esque monster noises. :\

Response to Voice Acting Contest 7! 2011-10-10 23:30:45

Finished!

The Last Joke - by Ghetto Lee Lewis

It's a sort of movie trailer, starring Kanye West, a crazy old guy who sounds like Gandalf/Sean Connery, some random doctor, a Southern narrator (lol, Charlotte's Web), and a pirate scientist.

Enjoy!