00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SpyBaby just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Explorers & Adventurers Club

5,917 Views | 52 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Explorers & Adventurers Club 2011-08-31 15:12:05

This club was formed so that people who go out exploring new places or embarking on grand adventures can share their stories, discuss their findings and post pictures of all the interesting sights they've seen along the way.

You don't have to have been climbing the Alps or exploring the Amazon Rainforest to post in here. Exploring your local area or embarking on a journey to a new city qualifies as an adventure in my eyes and it can quite often be interesting. Even walks through the local woodland areas quite often turn up some interesting discoveries or areas that you have never seen before.

So whether you love the hustle and bustle of the city or the peace and quiet of the great outdoors, please, share your stories, findings and images here.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2011-08-31 15:26:51

Interesting idea. Time to start exploring!

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2011-08-31 15:29:24

This sounds like a pretty cool club. I'll read it and comment on other's adventures, but I don't think I'll be moving from my room for a few months so I won't have anything to share just yet.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2011-09-02 07:32:31

Okay, slightly slower start than I was expecting.

Anyway, pretty much every day I've been taking my dog walks up a pretty big hill that's not too far from my house. It's covered in trees and stuff, so it's essentially a forest too. I find it really peaceful up there and I think it's probably one of my favourite places in the world. Most of the time I literally don't come across any other people whilst I'm up there but there is occasionally the odd dog walker or down hill mountain biker.

When I first started regularly walking up that way I'd stick to the main path because it's a pretty big area and I wasn't too keen on getting lost up there. One day though I just decided to follow some random off track paths to see where I ended up and now I know most of the area really well.

I find a lot of pretty interesting things when I'm out walking but something I always notice is the mushrooms and fungus. There's loads of different kinds and some look really weird. Out of curiosity I decided to look up psilocybin (or magic) mushrooms on Wikipedia just so I could see what distinguishes them from others. Yesterday I then decided to see if I could find any on my travels. I'd like to point out that they're not something I'd use and even if I did encounter some I wouldn't be picking them, however I don't think I found any. It was just a way to add a little more purpose to my journey and there sure are a lot of mushrooms around when you actually look for them.

Some of the views from up there are awesome and I like trying to take pictures of them but I only have a 3 megapixel camera phone and it's a bit hit or miss when it comes to the quality of the photos. Anyway, here's a picture I took a few days back when I went looking for the triangulation point for the first time in years. It feels good knowing you're at the top.

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2011-10-18 02:46:45

I'll go out soon and take video of some of the places I used to hike around.

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2011-10-18 06:36:29

I love to go out exploring, but I never seem to get out and about anywhere. Unfortunately around my house there are only field, and I mean a lot of fields. I don't have a dog anymore either, and taking him for walks was often a nice way to explore, much like you do.

I do have a very long canal which I'm fond of taking walks along, it goes on for absolutely miles.

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2011-10-18 09:22:54

At 10/18/11 02:46 AM, Rahmemhotep wrote: I'll go out soon and take video of some of the places I used to hike around.

Ah sweet. I look forward to seeing them. I actually sort of forgot that I even made this place. It didn't seem to start out very well.

At 10/18/11 06:36 AM, Snuff wrote: I love to go out exploring, but I never seem to get out and about anywhere.

It's sort of the same for me right now. Mainly because I'm at uni all the time and partly because it's starting to get so damn cold here. I've not been out for a walk with my dog for about 6 weeks now. She obviously still gets taken walks, just not by me and I know her favourite route. Poor dog. I'll probably make more of an effort to go out when the snow arrives. Walking in the snow is so much fun and I have an entire album on my Facebook page consisting of photos from all the snow we got last winter.

It will be cool if this clubs actually kicks off, but it's probably not the best time of year for it I guess.

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2011-10-18 09:27:06

You'd have thought that I was fit and everything. But no. This hill knackered me out completely :(

God, I love the Lake District.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-01 11:36:52

I randomly remembered that I made this club and since the weather has been nice here recently I figured I'd see if we get any more activity this time around.

I went on a two hour trek with my little sister today. It's a route that I walk almost daily, but I wanted to see how well she could handle it. Mainly so that I got an idea of how tiring it was for someone not used to this route. There's a lot of uphill walking to start with and the terrain isn't the best for walking on in a lot of places. I reckon it would be really uncomfortable for someone not wearing boots or proper walking footwear. A lot of the paths aren't "proper" paths. It's more fun that way in my opinion.

I'm planning on walking up some much bigger hills that are local to me in the coming weeks. My only concern is that the walk to them might tire me out before I even start to climb them. As much as I like my current route, a change of scenery would be nice. I'd probably be able to take some pretty nice photos from up there.

You guys been on any grand adventures lately?

Never got any particularly cool photos today. Here's me (looking ecstatic as always) and my dog chilling in the sun, halfway up the hill.

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-04 09:35:30

How about urbex? I did some this year tho.

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-04 09:48:36

At 4/4/12 09:35 AM, Wurfel-Waffles wrote: How about urbex? I did some this year tho.

As in urban exploration? Sure. There's lots of interesting things hidden away in built up areas. Find anything interesting?

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-06 00:47:51

Fuck, I've been staying indoors this whole time.

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-07 00:36:21

I went to the bathroom. ADVENTURE!

Glides is done with his post.

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-07 01:12:01

I'd love to join. I live near a swamp. I'll post some pictures here soon!

returning from 8 years hiatus haha so maybe renovating a little :>

FOLLOW 4 FOOL WRITING & POETRY HERE

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-11 18:51:39

I always wanted to be a traveler and go to the far east

I not raping any kids though

Get lyrically fit!!!!

Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-11 19:40:57

Awesome. I'm totally sharing what I explore neearby my house (a pretty wild place).
But right now I don´t have enough time to write down the details and post pictures, I'm having a busy week.

Keep up the club OP!

Do you want a hot coffee?

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-11 20:13:55

At 4/7/12 01:12 AM, brokenrecord6299 wrote: I'd love to join. I live near a swamp. I'll post some pictures here soon!

Swamps do seem pretty cool, although the only time I ever see them is in films like Southern Comfort, which sort of puts me off wanting to actually visit them :P

It would be cool to see some of your photos though!

At 4/11/12 06:51 PM, tsukikomi wrote: I always wanted to be a traveler and go to the far east

What makes you want to go there?

At 4/11/12 07:40 PM, GreyW0Lf wrote: Awesome. I'm totally sharing what I explore neearby my house (a pretty wild place).
But right now I donÃ'´t have enough time to write down the details and post pictures, I'm having a busy week.

I look forward to it.

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-11 21:53:07

I'd like to join, if that's okay.

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-13 10:17:09

At 4/11/12 08:13 PM, Dean wrote:
I always wanted to be a traveler and go to the far east
What makes you want to go there?

the asian culture and learn some of the arts and language

Get lyrically fit!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-13 10:42:07

I've always wanted to try urban exploring, especially in old abandoned asylums. Unfortunately there isn't anythign around me to explore, not even in nature.

If I ever do get the chance to explore an asylum, I'll try posting pics here.

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-13 14:28:35

Oh god dammit I wish I knew this club was going to exist earlier. I would have taken pictures of shit I've found wandering in the woods and stuff. Unfortunately I rarely do that anymore.
So for now I'm gonna post old pictures from when I went to Australia.
I went with a group of students on some school thing, which I guess isn't super important, but me and 3 other kids sorta formed our own group and did shit on our own that wasn't a part of the schedule of things to do. We would go off wandering whenever we had time and stuff.
For a couple days we went and stayed on a farm in the middle of nowhere, fucking forest for miles and miles, it was incredible. When we first got there, the bus driver bet us all $100 that nobody could catch a wild kangaroo. Of course everyone was excited as shit to go out and try to catch a kangaroo, but it wasn't long before everyone realized that just was not gonna happen.
While we were out wandering the woods looking for kangaroos, we had to climb through a few barbed wire fences, and on one of them, there was a dead beetle that got stabbed in the head by the wire. I'm not sure if it was flying really fast and just hit the wrong spot or if some kid was out there playing with it, but it was amusing. I know I have a picture of it somewhere but I can't find it right now.
Anyway, we kept chasing down kangaroos and of course not getting anywhere near them cause they are fast mother fuckers. Right when we were about to give up and head back, I saw a kangaroo hiding in a small bunch of tree and bushes. We got did our best to surround it so it couldn't run away as easily, and made sort of a triangle around it, since one lame ass friend decided not to join us. But we got up to it, and I guess it realized it was fucked and just sorta laid down. It was making a sort of panicked clicking noise, and looked ready to fuck us up, though, so we stood around it for a while trying to decide what to do.
If you've never seen a kangaroo up close, which we hadn't until then, their legs are definitely not the scariest part of them. They have giant fucking claws. Eventually my friend Michael got brave enough to try to tie it up with our jackets, which actually worked out perfectly.
So, we carried it about 2/3rds of the way back to camp before we gave up because it was too heavy, and set it down. Michael and Megan (the other friend), stayed with it just to make sure nothing happened, and I ran back to the farm and got the leader people to come back and check it out.
After they were all done being amazed, we untied it and let it go, and then we collected our $100.
I'm the one with the stupid look on my face.

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-13 14:42:02

Part two.
We went to this sand island, I think it was the biggest sand island in the world, or second biggest or something. Basically an island made entirely of sand, and not rock and shit.
Me, Michael, and Megan went out and climbed the mountain behind our hotel whenever we had free time, wandered around in the woods a lot.
We climbed up to the highest area with a view that wasn't completely blocked by trees, which is this picture, and also where we spent the majority of the night laying and looking at the stars. If any of you haven't seen stars outside of the city, do it whenever you get the chance. I have never seen so many stars in my life. Like, the sky was 70% stars with some black between them.
There are also some crazy fucking spiders in Australia, which I think most people already know. But it isn't just big spiders, we saw these tiny little spiders just swarming in the woods, huge groups of them. And there were these spiders that built nests in the shape of funnels, which was pretty cool to see.
I'm gonna have to post a few more boring posts just to get some pictures in.

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-13 14:43:37

We found this, uhhhh, thing up in the woods on the sand island. It kind of reminds me of the deku babas from Zelda.

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-13 14:45:28

Some graffiti on a beach

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-13 14:47:09

Some much cooler graffiti on the same beach

I'm definitely nobodies alt.

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-13 14:48:28

Another, less clustered deku baba thingy.
I still have no idea what these things were but they were pretty cool.

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-13 14:49:58

And last, one of the creepiest mannequins I have ever seen.

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-13 14:55:49

At 4/13/12 02:49 PM, NotSquidbit wrote: And last, one of the creepiest mannequins I have ever seen.

uhh nice alt, anyways I sometimes walk to my destination not the bus

Get lyrically fit!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-13 15:13:30

So yeah, it was an adventure for me outside my house. I mean I live in Britain, and I live in the country side, but let be very honest. There isn't anything apart from deer and rabbits, and they are rare to find. If they are any. And if you do find one. They'll run away. So yeah I would love to join this club, as I have lots of adventures in the local town and city, and every time I go there, it always surprises me. But since I live in the countryside, you would expect amazing things right? Well it took me long to realise. The weather, and view was an adventure. This is what it looks like at dusk on a regular summers night. Sorry if it is dark, it generally is outside at summer.

Response to Explorers & Adventurers Club 2012-04-13 15:16:59

Sorry, this was the photo I intended to use in my last post.