00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wettle just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Stephen King Club

7,499 Views | 75 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-10 16:46:12

At 10/10/11 05:39 AM, SomaGuye wrote:
At 10/10/11 05:33 AM, Auz wrote: I see most of you are dissapointed with The Dark Tower series,
I disagree, I think they're some of his best, only let down by the ending which is probably so bad because he wrote them over such a long time and didn't know where it was going.

Well it looks like quite a long series to go through anyway. I think I'll rather start with individual books.

At 10/10/11 10:55 AM, FattyWhale wrote:
At 10/10/11 05:33 AM, Auz wrote: I see most of you are dissapointed with The Dark Tower series, so I won't look out for them. Anything else you guys think wasn't worth the read?
His short stories have never quite done it for me. Also some of his newer stuff (Cell, Duma Key) have been disappointing.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

I think I'll first look out for Misery, The Green Mile and The Shining.

At 10/10/11 03:15 PM, Luke wrote: but I remembered my dad watching a movie called Insomnia, which then I mistook as a Stephen King movie.

Probably the one by Christopher Nolan with Al Pacino and Robin Williams. Nice film.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-10 17:37:44

At 10/10/11 04:46 PM, Auz wrote:
At 10/10/11 03:15 PM, Luke wrote: but I remembered my dad watching a movie called Insomnia, which then I mistook as a Stephen King movie.
Probably the one by Christopher Nolan with Al Pacino and Robin Williams. Nice film.

That would be it. All these years I thought it was based on the Stephen King novel, I will watch that movie eventually out of curiosity, my dad hated it, said it was brutal.

Him and I have different tastes though, even though we have a passion for the same genre of movies. I love horror, and dark films just like he does. But we are seldom in agreement of whether or not a movie was great or horrible, what he hates I love, what I love he usually hates. Strange huh?

I just finished Chapter 2 of Insomnia, very very interesting... I still don't know what's going to come next, so I'm on the edge of my seat. I imagine I will come home from my thanksgiving dinner tonight and continue reading. I asked my Dad if he had any King novels still, he has a few I think he said, so I'll go take a look at those after I read this... Which won't be finished for a while, depends on the rate I go I suppose...

I really am interested in reading his other works though, considering basically everything I have read of his was just short stories, is the DT series really so bad? I read about the one character from it being featured in a few other stories and books of his, so that kind of intrigued me to check it out. Just the name Dark Tower kind of interests me.

We'll see I suppose. Insomnia is great so far, glad I checked it.

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-10 20:05:38

I read Misery, I loved it. I'm trying to recall if he wrote Under the Dome as well.

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-10 20:23:11

I read Misery, Cujo, and am currently reading It. Scary as heck. Loved all the books though.

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-10 21:54:40

At 10/10/11 08:05 PM, skaterdude411 wrote: I read Misery, I loved it. I'm trying to recall if he wrote Under the Dome as well.

He sure did.

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-11 05:24:58

Insomnia is good, but it hasn't got extremely interesting yet to say the least. Enough to pull me in and keep me coming, incredible read... But I'm still waiting for the weird shit to go on.. Soon though, I can feel it.

The chapters are huge, I almost swore I missed a part saying that I was at the next chapter, until I finished that page. Took at least an hour or so to read chapter 3. Love the book, very excited to continue. I hope my high expectations don't ruin it.

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-11 07:42:48

Is Misery worth a read if i've already seen the movie? Also, which out of his books could be considered the most disturbing/horrifying?

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-11 14:07:50

At 10/11/11 07:42 AM, JaY11 wrote: Is Misery worth a read if i've already seen the movie? Also, which out of his books could be considered the most disturbing/horrifying?

Definitely worth the read. It's not very long, and the ending to the book is so much better than the movie's ending, in my opinion. I definitely think Misery is one of the more disturbing King novels also, just because there is nothing about it that couldn't happen in real life.

The Stand is also a pretty moving book. King does an unparalleled job of painting a picture of the post-apocalyptic world.

I also thought The Regulators was pretty intense. The first 70 pages were so enrapturing and surprising in a horrifying way. Unfortunately I thought that book tapered off towards the end.

S&Box, the gameĀ Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-11 14:13:43

At 10/10/11 09:54 PM, Luke wrote:
At 10/10/11 08:05 PM, skaterdude411 wrote: I read Misery, I loved it. I'm trying to recall if he wrote Under the Dome as well.
He sure did.

I loved Under the Dome as well, I thought it was GREAT.

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-12 06:33:19

I'll start chapter six later today, I read quite a bit of Insomnia in the past 24 hours... Then I came across some political books and stuff I want to take a look at, but I refuse to read two things at once. So Insomnia it is, which has kept me up all night as well, figuratively but in a literal sense.

About once a week I can't sleep, I just don't want to read because it will hurt my eyes so badly. Time to throw in a good horror flick and wait for the sun rise!

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-12 22:09:53

I've read and own

The Shining
Cujo
The Dead Zone
The Green Mile
Carrie
IT
Desperation

I'm a pretty big fan of some of his works, but my mom's read a fuckload of his books and saved me the trouble of reading ones that I would most likely be disappointed by. Which is nice, I suppose, but both of my local libraries dont carry any of the ones I havent read. -_-

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-13 00:43:12

At 10/12/11 09:10 PM, ImaSmartass2 wrote:
At 10/12/11 06:33 AM, Luke wrote: I'll start chapter six later today, I read quite a bit of Insomnia in the past 24 hours... Then I came across some political books and stuff I want to take a look at, but I refuse to read two things at once. So Insomnia it is, which has kept me up all night as well, figuratively but in a literal sense.
I hope you read a good portion of the Dark Tower before reading that book, otherwise you won't get a large amount of the references that are made.

I've never read the Dark Tower books, any. As stated previously. I don't mind though, I'm enjoying it for what it is. Had I known sooner I'd have maybe picked up the Dark Tower books, and went through them all. Regardless, too late.

It's getting interesting now, I'm at chapter 7 and things are starting to change quite a bit for Ralph, it feels amazing to be reading again after so long... Last book I read was over half a year ago and it was a biography. I picked up a shit load of political books the other day too that I found for cheap, Insomnia's really gotten me in the mood to work my brain again with this stuff.

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-13 10:48:37

At 10/13/11 12:43 AM, Luke wrote: it feels amazing to be reading again after so long... Last book I read was over half a year ago and it was a biography. I picked up a shit load of political books the other day too that I found for cheap, Insomnia's really gotten me in the mood to work my brain again with this stuff.

Tell me about it! I haven't read a book in ages. Just started reading The Stand, pretty good so far.

On topic, if I had to choose my top favorite Stephen King novels, they would have to be IT, The Green Mile, Dreamcatcher and 'Salem's lot. I LOVED 'Salem's Lot. Also, Cell is pretty good as well.

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-13 11:15:56

They are premiering a Bag or Bones Mini series on A&E next year.

I think as soon as I am done with the Dark Tower I am going to go back and read all the Bachman books. I had read Blaze just before starting the DT again, it was a fantastic book. I have always liked how much more brutal King is when he rights as Bachman.

Hitman Crew - Hitman Absolution

Governor of the ZSC

PSN is in my sig or flashing on your screen after I kill you.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-13 19:57:40

Cujo scared me sorta. I kept on thinking I was seeing eyes in my closet.

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-14 00:21:29

I'm beginning to figure out this book more and more as it goes along, even though it isn't being extremely obvious... The Crimson King sounds extremely interesting and everything begins to become much more real...

I looked him up and he is also in the Dark Tower series (later on I believe) and Black House?

I'm definitely going to read those books...

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-14 04:15:07

Part II of Insomnia, and my interest grows further and further, I DO NOT want to stop reading tonight, and because of that I will read at least one more chapter before I call it a night.

To any of you who have not read it, please do... It is too good, and it's blowing me away. My interest in the Dark Tower series continues to grow more and more now, as I start to think of who the Crimson King may be, and I am catching the references and looking them up, everything I find and look up redirects me to something related to Dark Tower... I NEED to read those books now, and I will as soon as I am done with Insomnia.

IT IS SO GOOD

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-18 19:28:22

Oh boy do I love Stephen King. I haven't gotten very far into my goal of reading all of his books but I'm getting there. So far I've read:

Carrie
'Salem's Lot
Insomnia
Misery
Dreamcatcher
IT
The Long Walk
Pet Sematary
Rose Madder
Nightmares & Dreamscapes
Half of Duma Key
1000 pages of Under the Dome(nearly done)
Some of The Tommyknockers
Some of The Stand

I plan to finish Under the Dome this week and revisit the other three afterward. Soon I'll buy the Dark Tower series because I feel ashamed that I haven't read any of it yet.... Oh, by the way, if you guys are wanting to read Rage even though it's been out of print for a long time, you can order a copy of The Bachman Books for 1 cent on Amazon. It has a few others as well as Rage in it.

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-25 12:08:39

Well I went to the bookstore today and I bought a copy of Misery, which will be the first Stephen King book I'll read then.

I'll start reading it as soon as I'm done with the current book I'm reading.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-10-30 00:54:00

I have over a dozen of his books that I've never picked up. The only ones I've read are Skeleton Crew and Night Shift years ago and The Shining, which I started years ago and finally finished. What got me into King was in 6th grade our home room teacher would read a bit to us from Skeleton Crew and "The Man In The Black Suit". The latter haunted me for days.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-12-06 17:21:24

Just thought I'd bump this to say I have finally read my first Stephen King book. I read Nightmares & Dreamscapes, which is about a 700 page collection of short stories, and I must say I really enjoyed it. There were a couple stories in there that I didn't care for so much but most of them had me pretty entertained and made it hard for me to put the book down.

Anyway, for ideas for Christmas gifts I told my family they could get me some Stephen King/Richard Bachman books. I'll probably post here around Christmas to say which ones I received as presents and later post my thoughts on the books after I read them.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-12-06 19:53:04

That is one of his best collections of short storys IMO it is also where he shines the brightest.

Hitman Crew - Hitman Absolution

Governor of the ZSC

PSN is in my sig or flashing on your screen after I kill you.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-12-08 22:24:47

Basing this on the fact that I haven't actually read many of Stephen King's books, I have to say that my favorite book has to be Cell. It's more of a modern, post-apocolyptic type of feel. I'm saying that it's after the apocolypse because of (spoiler) the fact that most of the book occurs after everyone turns into these phone-crazy bastards.

Tommyknockers wasn't that bad either. It was just a little slower paced and took more time to explain than Cell did (probably because in the modern era, it took less time to explain something about a cell phone).

Help the poor! Help the hungry in Africa!

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-12-12 20:53:21

I started reading Stephen King just last summer. I started with The Eyes of the Dragon, then I read It, then I read The Dark Half, and now I'm reading The Talisman. So far I'm really liking it. My dad hates Stephen King though. Says he's too repetitive. The only books he likes are Dark Half, Misery, and he likes the movie Shawshank Redemption.

"You can't be careful on a skateboard man." - some kid

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-12-12 20:56:26

Oh, he also likes The Shining. And another thing, I live in the city that Bag of Bones was filmed in.

"You can't be careful on a skateboard man." - some kid

Response to The Stephen King Club 2011-12-29 18:21:19

I just finished Misery.

I liked it very much. It's very thrilling and exciting and especially the third act really had me hooked. Furthermore, I think Annie Wilkes was an interesting bad guy (or lady...). Not your usual evil genius, but just a crazy, obsessed housewive. Makes a change.

I'm going to watch the film adaption soon, see if it's any good.

I'm also definitely going to read more Stephen King novels in the future. Some woman at the underground, who has read a lot of his work, recommended me Cell. Do you guys think that book is any good or am I better off picking something else?

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-01-03 22:07:13

These are the books I got for Christmas...

Stephen King

It
Different Seasons
Gerald's Game
Full Dark, No Stars
Blaze (Richard Bachman)

Stephen King & Peter Straub

The Talisman
Black House

I was hoping to get The Bachman Books as well, but I guess I'll just hold off on that until I read these, which is going to take a while. I just started Gerald's Game earlier today but I'm only about 20 pages in so far.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-01-04 23:08:30

I haven't read any Stephen King books, but my mom has and it shows. A long time ago, we had a couple Stephen King movies in the house and we ended up watching them. The first one we watched, "It" the one with the clown in it....Creeped me out. Although now when I look back and remember it, the movie seems kind of silly. Like c'mon, the clown feeds on people ever 30 years and happens to be a diguised spider? Really weird but I enjoyed it.
Another movie by Stephen King I watched was Pet Cemetery. It was very scary. The first ten minutes of the movie showed the guy getting hit by a car, and comes back to life with blood all over him. At the time I was 7 though, so you can see why I was so scared of that movie. The whole movie is based on this cemetery that when you bury people or animals in it, they come back and murder people. First off, either the cat or the boy gets hit by a truck and dies and comes back to kill Jud(the old man). And the father buries them. Then the boy comes back demon possessed and kills the mom, the husband buries the body in the cemetery ignoring what happened to his son and hopes for her t come back normal. He waits up the whole night playing solitaire until he hears his now demonic wife calling him.

Yep, Stephen king has some weird stuff. Good author though. I don't know how many other authors are out there that even compare to him.

Neo Classical Shredder

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-01-05 09:02:57

At 12/29/11 06:21 PM, Auz wrote: I'm also definitely going to read more Stephen King novels in the future. Some woman at the underground, who has read a lot of his work, recommended me Cell. Do you guys think that book is any good or am I better off picking something else?

Definitely give Cell a shot. It's a great book. I'd also recommend 'Salem's Lot, Carrie, IT and Dreamcatcher for you to really get into his books. I absolutely love his novels!!! I started The Stand awhile ago, but haven't picked it up in ages. Really gotta start it after I finish The Hunger Games, which is also a great novel as well :)

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-01-07 15:53:50

At 1/5/12 09:02 AM, UnknownFear wrote: Definitely give Cell a shot.

Alright, I will then, but first I gotta finish the books I got for Christmas.

Really gotta start it after I finish The Hunger Games, which is also a great novel as well :)

That series is very blatantly advertised as "the next Twilight"(-hype) here, which I find a bit odd as, judging from the film trailer I saw, it seemed a lot less chick flick-ish and seemed to have a much more interesting idea behind it. Having a bunch of teenagers dropped into an arena and fight each other to the death sounds like classic B-film material to me and not something teenage girls who wet themselves over Robert Pattinson would enjoy.

I could be wrong, but at first glance it looks like a film I'd actually want to see.

BBS Signature