00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jibrail just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Stephen King Club

7,480 Views | 75 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-01-10 16:45:07

At 1/3/12 10:07 PM, chiefindomer wrote: Stephen King & Peter Straub

The Talisman
Black House

I got these for Christmas too. I also got Pet Cemetery (which was the only one I asked for), 11.22.63, and Under The Dome.

I've not read anything by Stephen King before and I'm going to start with Pet Cemetery.

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-01-18 08:48:15

At 1/3/12 10:07 PM, chiefindomer wrote: I was hoping to get The Bachman Books as well, but I guess I'll just hold off on that until I read these,

Scratch that. I just got the Bachman Books over the weekend as a late Christmas gift from my brother, he ordered it online but it didn't arrive until January.

Anyway, I finished Gerald's Game and it turned out to be pretty good. About half way through the book I was thinking it was just ok but it did start to pick up and get more intense shortly after. I thought the twist at the end, or "the kicker" as King put it, was really cool. I also started Different Seasons and have finished the first story so far, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. I already knew I would like this one because of how much I loved the movie. I just wish it was longer, a 300+ page novel all by itself would have been nice because it could have gone into greater detail on some of the characters and their interactions with each other, but still a great read.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-01-18 18:16:52

Bought the Kindle version of 11/22/63 and it is amazing!!! I can't stop reading it. It's so...unbelievable. There are some interesting surprises for anyone who has read most of his books tucked away inside :P

Hint: IT :P

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-01-18 18:25:54

At 1/18/12 06:16 PM, UnknownFear wrote: Bought the Kindle version of 11/22/63 and it is amazing!!! I can't stop reading it. It's so...unbelievable. There are some interesting surprises for anyone who has read most of his books tucked away inside :P

Halfway through The Dark Tower. 11/22/63 is my next read, really looking forward to IT. (pun)

Hitman Crew - Hitman Absolution

Governor of the ZSC

PSN is in my sig or flashing on your screen after I kill you.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-01-28 15:05:51

I actually LIVE like 20 minutes away from him.

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-01-30 19:18:21

At 1/30/12 01:42 AM, Aci6 wrote:
At 1/28/12 03:05 PM, CeliciaPaearl wrote: I actually LIVE like 20 minutes away from him.
Seen any walk-ins lately?

HA!!! Ba Zing

Governor of the ZSC

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-01-31 13:58:25

At 1/31/12 01:23 PM, Austerity wrote: I am pleased with SK's rate of coming out with new books. Some authors take years but this dude comes out with a huge ass book every year or less.

He definitely comes up with a lot of ideas to write about, I don't know how he does it but I'm glad that he does.

Also, just finished Different Seasons which I really enjoyed, especially the first 3 stories. The last story was pretty good too but the first 3 were outstanding imo. Just got started on The Bachman Books.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-02-01 14:38:14

At 2/1/12 09:31 AM, Aci6 wrote: I'm surprised there hasn't been a dark morbid movie adaptation.

It actually was made into a movie and I remember seeing it a while back but I don't really remember how similar it was to the story. I doubt it was as dark as the story was though and probably not nearly as good because I would have remembered it better if it impressed me as much as King's novella did.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-02-17 18:36:33

Just finished The Dark Tower. I nearly cried to be honest, King proves his power as a talespinner.

For the Rose
For the Eld
For the Tower.

Cant wait for Wind through the Keyhole, reading Insomnia ATM.

Governor of the ZSC

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-08-27 13:41:04

At 5/2/12 04:52 AM, Aci6 wrote: Wow, no one's posted here in a while so I'll bump it with some new developments.
Can't wait for Doctor Sleep now which is meant to be balls to the wall horror. It'll be good to get back to SK's horror since he's been doing thriller lately and then there's Joyland which is going to be about a serial killer in an amusement park which sounds hell sick.
In other, semi-related SK stuff I started working on a new book which is partially expired by SK. It's called "Asylum" and follows a man named Perkins who is in an institution for criminally insane people and sees 'white people' who may or may not be ghosts...

Have not got the New DT yet, but I have been catching up on a ton of Sk books I had not read or forgotten. Just finished The Tommy-knockers, Blockade Billy, and Under The Dome. Tommy-knockers was classic king, Blockade billy was a straight up baseball story till the end flips it on its head. Under The Dome was AMAZING!!.

I am in the middle of 11/23/63 and so far this is a fantastic read. Love how deeply king has researched and immersed us into the 1950-60's. The time travel paradoxs and the slowly churning darkness you can sense is King to the core. Its an amazing build up and I am no doubt in for a fantastic finish.

Dr. Dream, Joyland are both on my Must Read. Your story sounds interesting as well, would love to read a selection from it.

Governor of the ZSC

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-09-04 00:11:12

At 1/18/12 06:25 PM, TheRipper00 wrote:
At 1/18/12 06:16 PM, UnknownFear wrote: Bought the Kindle version of 11/22/63 and it is amazing!!! I can't stop reading it. It's so...unbelievable. There are some interesting surprises for anyone who has read most of his books tucked away inside :P

Halfway through The Dark Tower. 11/22/63 is my next read, really looking forward to IT. (pun)

You mean book 7 of The Dark Tower series or halfway though the series?

Wizard and Glass (4) is a mammoth read, and for me, the least enjoyable of the Dark Tower books..... King admits that after he got plastered by that van, he was kinda drugged up for most of the writing. It makes sense and has a narrative, but it just seemed to have way too much detail.

The Wind Through The Keyhole (4.5), which just came out a month or so ago (I got King's audiobook - you get used to him reading after a while), kicks butt - a real treat in the epic! Like Wizard and Glass, it's another flashback story of young Roland, but with another story/fable inside of that one... now it's on to Wolves of The Calla (5), the rootenest tootenest Western of them all :3 I guess this will be my 3rd time through the whole epic...

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-09-04 20:01:51

Since my last post in this thread I've finished the Bachman Books, Blaze, and It. With It, I was pleasantly surprised with just how much better the book was than the TV mini series. Granted it was a long time ago when I saw the mini series but it seemed like 90% of the good stuff from the book was cut. I understand that a lot needed to be cut because a lot of the stuff in the book would be deemed too graphic for TV but in the book you also get to know the characters so much better.

At 8/27/12 01:41 PM, TheRipper00 wrote: Under The Dome.

This is one I really want to read. Maybe I'll get it for Christmas because I still have The Talisman, Black House, and The Stand to keep me occupied until then. I'm currently about 100 pages into The Talisman.

Joyland

This is one I'm also anticipating. I don't know much about it but "amusement park serial killer" sounds pretty good to me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-09-05 08:20:01

At 9/4/12 08:01 PM, chiefindomer wrote: Since my last post in this thread I've finished the Bachman Books, Blaze, and It. With It, I was pleasantly surprised with just how much better the book was than the TV mini series. Granted it was a long time ago when I saw the mini series but it seemed like 90% of the good stuff from the book was cut. I understand that a lot needed to be cut because a lot of the stuff in the book would be deemed too graphic for TV but in the book you also get to know the characters so much better.

The Stephen King movies/miniseries never do the books justice. Usually they are pretty atrocious in my opinion. The only one that came close was Misery, but even then there were some psychological aspects missing and the ending of the movie was changed from the book, even though it would have been just as easy to do the book ending, which was so much better.

S&Box, the gameĀ Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-09-05 13:51:58

At 9/5/12 08:20 AM, FattyWhale wrote:
At 9/4/12 08:01 PM, chiefindomer wrote: Since my last post in this thread I've finished the Bachman Books, Blaze, and It. With It, I was pleasantly surprised with just how much better the book was than the TV mini series. Granted it was a long time ago when I saw the mini series but it seemed like 90% of the good stuff from the book was cut. I understand that a lot needed to be cut because a lot of the stuff in the book would be deemed too graphic for TV but in the book you also get to know the characters so much better.
The Stephen King movies/miniseries never do the books justice. Usually they are pretty atrocious in my opinion. The only one that came close was Misery, but even then there were some psychological aspects missing and the ending of the movie was changed from the book, even though it would have been just as easy to do the book ending, which was so much better.

Awww, you didn't like Maximum Overdrive (based on the short story Trucks)? Granted that movie was kinda meant to be campish... "Fuckin' truck's supposed to be depot-ed... dat was depot-ed fo sho!"

Yeah, I do your see your point unfortunately. I agree with you on your analysis of Misery, but how was the author's thoughts supposed to have been done/portayed?

King has mentioned this problem in the past... one good example of crap book/movie translation was The Mist. Good gravy, I had such high hopes for that flick :| Even the audioplay I found years ago beat the pants outta that flick. Maybe it was the perfectly metrosexually shaped eyebrows on the 'actor' who played the Army guy or the slipshot translation from story to screenplay.... either way, that movie just sucked donkey dong.

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-09-10 14:51:18

At 9/5/12 01:51 PM, VicariousE wrote:

:Maximum Overdrive

Loved it, can't help it. With Emilio as the lead and Ac/Dc's ( Who made Who) as the soundtrack it was a awesome flick. I mean how can this not be graded as Oscar worthy.

Also, on that note if you have not seen Maximum Overdrive, you can watch the full movie on YouTube Maximum Overdrive - Full Movie

:chiefindomer

:This is one I really want to read. Maybe I'll get it for Christmas because I still have The Talisman, Black House, and The Stand to keep me occupied until then. I'm currently about 100 pages into The Talisman.

The Talisman is slow starting but DAM, is is a good book. I might just love it so much because it is the setup for the sequel Black House. That book is fucking fantastic, easily in my top 10. The Stand is my number 1 book of all time, it is a masterpiece.

Governor of the ZSC

BBS Signature

Response to The Stephen King Club 2012-09-10 20:35:13

At 9/5/12 08:20 AM, FattyWhale wrote: The Stephen King movies/miniseries never do the books justice. Usually they are pretty atrocious in my opinion. The only one that came close was Misery, but even then there were some psychological aspects missing and the ending of the movie was changed from the book, even though it would have been just as easy to do the book ending, which was so much better.

Didn't they do a pretty good short movie for The Pistolero ? I'd like to see it or maybe get some opinions on it before I begin trying to find it somewhere :)