00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kazukino55 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Original character in development

5,186 Views | 79 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-01 14:43:30

What can be said has pretty much already been covered, now it's your turn. Take some time, practice some anatomy, draw a picture but keep it in pencil, so you can go back and fix things.

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-01 14:45:47

I don't think you can tell people to stop posting.
I may be wrong, but yeah.
If your comp is strong enough, you may want to consider digital painting. There's plenty of free programs out there like... I dunno, I don't know much about em. GIMP, I guess? Your lines could definitely use some clarity and your coloring could use, at the very least, consistency without having all of those marker tracks and little white zones.
Right now your sketches don't look inked, just penciled.
The coloring looks... rushed. The black marker makes the brothers pants indiscernible from one another and their rage form instantly reminded me of Akuma.
Uhm... the parasite isn't very visible. Like, at all.

Best Advice I can give you is to study up on human anatomy, do a few sketches-- it'll make your drawings that much more... "believable". Stare at yourself in the mirror, if need be. Strike a pose or two or ten, use yourself as a base. Sketch out your characters with spheres and cylinders before going in with the details. Treat your character as a whole entity, rather than slowly trudging along from the head all the way down to the feet-- that's how you fuck your proportions up.

Hope this was constructive enough for you.
And I hope the pic I got from this sweet tut better illustrates my point about starting off simple and then adding details later.

You've gotten way too many comments for just one concept piece though. Post more art.

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-01 15:45:46

I thought YOU made that.. that wouldnt have made my jealous!

the lord of our savior. el christio

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-01 15:54:58

Oh and THANKS SUCKA! IMA BOOKMARK THIS MWHAHAHAHA!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-01 16:28:07

At 6/1/11 02:45 PM, Kumakun4 wrote: I don't think you can tell people to stop posting.
If your comp is strong enough, you may want to consider digital painting. There's plenty of free programs out there like... I dunno, I don't know much about em. GIMP, I guess? Your lines could definitely use some clarity and your coloring could use, at the very least, consistency without having all of those marker tracks and little white zones.
Right now your sketches don't look inked, just penciled.
The coloring looks... rushed. The black marker makes the brothers pants indiscernible from one another and their rage form instantly reminded me of Akuma.
Uhm... the parasite isn't very visible. Like, at all.

Best Advice I can give you is to study up on human anatomy, do a few sketches-- it'll make your drawings that much more... "believable". Stare at yourself in the mirror, if need be. Strike a pose or two or ten, use yourself as a base. Sketch out your characters with spheres and cylinders before going in with the details. Treat your character as a whole entity, rather than slowly trudging along from the head all the way down to the feet-- that's how you fuck your proportions up.

Hope this was constructive enough for you.
And I hope the pic I got from this sweet tut better illustrates my point about starting off simple and then adding details later.

You've gotten way too many comments for just one concept piece though. Post more art.

Now this is what I'm talkin about thanks. Although I do have a hard time drwing tall theings (such as people on small pictures, I'll be back with improvements hopefully.
Also what would you say to someone with multiple character ideas should he just focus on one character at a time or just draw all his thoughts in an un organized fashion and work from there?

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-01 16:41:16

At 6/1/11 02:45 PM, Kumakun4 wrote: I don't think you can tell people to stop posting.

Oh shit dude i just realised I owe you an apology

So yeah sorry bro and thanks for one of the most useful critiques here.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-01 16:54:50

At 6/1/11 04:28 PM, roderickii wrote: Also what would you say to someone with multiple character ideas should he just focus on one character at a time or just draw all his thoughts in an un organized fashion and work from there?

depends on the project and the focus of the project.
If the characters are apart of a group, we'll use the Power Rangers for example.

the original, not some spinoff shit.

Get the rough idea for the team and then work out their unique differences to aid with identification. Doing that will aid in rounding out the main points of the team. From there, work on character development and how they relate to one another. Their linking to one another and things that tie the group together tend to effect the design to some extent.
For Individual characters, work out the design of the character and then in the development the character. If multiple characters are linked through friendship, lovers, acquaintances, and so on and so forth, that will arise in the development and only effects the design in certain circumstances.

As you are working, designs should modify and change due to the character development.

now back to useless comments.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-01 18:48:55

At 6/1/11 12:22 PM, roderickii wrote: Let me get this straight you wasted your artistic abilities just to bash me? I'm flattered.

What would be more accurate to say would be:

I wasted my time having fun.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-01 19:39:44

Well I think I owe you an apology. I apologize for my grave misconduct and waste of artistic ability.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-02 03:20:22

Tried drawing it, myself, since it's apparently the trendiest thing to do these days.

The design is nice, man, I can actually admit that. Not to mention it isn't often that you see a black protagonist, so that's that's pretty cool. It's just the drawing and the style that suck ass.

Fix that. Your technique isn't even that bad.

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-02 17:14:56

At 6/2/11 03:20 AM, Lintire wrote: Tried drawing it, myself, since it's apparently the trendiest thing to do these days.

The design is nice, man, I can actually admit that. Not to mention it isn't often that you see a black protagonist, so that's that's pretty cool. It's just the drawing and the style that suck ass.

Its his sugoii tsundere love interest, Roxanne chan!

She was at first his enemy who loved him from afar. Their love could never be because she was a physical embodiment of the shadow group, created to seduce Jamal into having sex with her and losing his powers. He finally freed her, and she used her shadow abilities to aid him, the chosen one, in his quest.

But unbeknownst to him, she is actually a spiral being, made to destroy all of his spiral energy, and she never was, or will be a real human.

also her tits are 64DD

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned, and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-02 22:56:29

At 6/2/11 03:20 AM, Lintire wrote: Tried drawing it, myself, since it's apparently the trendiest thing to do these days.

Wow dude awesome drawing of MY character. Glad to see I have a fan of my not so developed character. I'll have a redrawing sometime after final's week next week and then Summer Break, time to develop my character as well as my supporting character.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-03 03:25:35

Jamal's facial expressions practice let me know what you think and sorry about the far left drawing Im using a sketch book.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-03 06:04:35

At 6/3/11 03:25 AM, roderickii wrote: Jamal's facial expressions practice let me know what you think and sorry about the far left drawing Im using a sketch book.

You need to work on your consistency, bro. Before I read that this was all Jamal, I thought it was like 5 different characters. Work out what Jamal's facial structure is and work on being able to draw it to look like the same face, no matter the angle or expression.

Also, I take it you're getting your expressions inspiration from The Boondocks?

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-03 07:03:49

At 6/3/11 03:25 AM, roderickii wrote: Jamal's facial expressions practice let me know what you think and sorry about the far left drawing Im using a sketch book.

What's the deal with his eyebrows in the last 2 emotions?
Have they turned into stylized daggers?

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-03 07:34:39

I think.... they're eyebrows! *looks closely* OW MY EYE!

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-03 08:54:48

They're black...

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-03 11:15:31

Study up on anatomy. do messy gestures of the character first to make sure you get the proportions right. use reference as well. like look at how the body is drawn on different martial arts characters like goku. and try to branch out with poses. alot of times I see beginner artist always drawing thier characters in standing poses, but you should always want to challange you're self by trying new things. in anycase training will make any artist better so keep it up.

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-03 11:21:14

as for the expressions it looks like the 3/4 position is you're strongest. try working on the front and profile shots a little more. what the guy who posted earlier meant by consistency is keeping you're character lookin the same no matter how you draw him, any pose, expression, or camera shot.

what could help you with the consitency is draw the 3/4 since its your strongest then, draw lines across the page from that head. one line at the top of the head, one under the eyes, on under the nose, mouth and chin so you know were everything is SUPPOSED to be when you draw the other heads

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-03 16:06:19

At 6/3/11 07:03 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
What's the deal with his eyebrows in the last 2 emotions?
Have they turned into stylized daggers?

It's jamal in his RedStreak/ P-Rage mode.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-03 16:08:12

At 6/3/11 06:04 AM, Aigis wrote:
You need to work on your consistency, bro. Before I read that this was all Jamal, I thought it was like 5 different characters. Work out what Jamal's facial structure is and work on being able to draw it to look like the same face, no matter the angle or expression.

Also, I take it you're getting your expressions inspiration from The Boondocks?

I'm not seeking out existing drawing styles but now that you mentioned it... I do see some Boondocks in him.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-03 19:06:06

The "threatening" face is horribly skewed; try working on your proportions.
Seriously, draw a circle and a "+" in the middle (yes, like that Madness crap).
Then, work out your eyes, nose, mouth, ears, etc.
Trying to draw a face without those guides, especially for someone inexperienced like you (no offense), is extremely hard, and will come out bad, such as your faces there. I can see traces of some of the guides, but the sphere is just as important, and you seem to be missing that. If you just erased that, well... um.... try making less lopsided spheres.
Also, those eyebrows aren't impressing anyone. I'm serious, they look horrible. Its like DBZ and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo combined in some terrible horror movie. :/

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-03 22:22:44

Try to take everything that's said in here with a grain of salt, too.
People tend to over-critique and tell you to do things their way, rather than stating their opinion.
Basically, don't follow everything that's said by the letter.
If you had to follow what everyone here tells you to do, it wouldn't be your art anymore.
Just filter what you think might be useful and ignore the rest, I guess.
Like the comments about the eyebrows.
You can draw his eyebrows however you damn well want, as long as they look like eyebrows.

Try some observation drawings though. Find a few nudes on the net or something and reference from them, put some clothes on em, find pictures of how clothe folds look like and reference that too, etc.
Being inexperienced is one thing, but being stubborn is another thing entirely.
You can brush up on anatomy and stuff and still draw what you like drawing. Just have fun with it.

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-03 22:39:14

At 6/3/11 10:22 PM, Kumakun4 wrote: You can draw his eyebrows however you damn well want, as long as they look like eyebrows.

I think we established they look like daggers, not eyebrows.

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-03 22:43:58

A lot of this reminds me of my early art from 2007 (when I got around to working on my art form in a serious way). I think there is a lot of potential in your work because you seem to be grasping at some interesting concepts (I'm noting the hand positioning with the 'menacing' piece). It just needs refinement.

If you practice with figures and life drawings enough, you'll settle into what you like and don't like about your own stuff.

<_<
>_>
I'm still confused by the eyebrows though....

Who are you?

My art thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-06 22:57:29

At 6/1/11 03:25 AM, roderickii wrote:
At 6/1/11 03:21 AM, DemocracyFTW wrote: the proportions and coloring are brutily terrible.
there stylized like that on prupose moron...btw thanks for your useless input.

Because the arms are supposed to be that of a T-Rex's.

Real artists draw their own user picture and signature. I am not a real artist.

Free sexay prons!

Sig credit to Ninjar.

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-12 13:28:50

At 6/3/11 07:06 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote:
Also, those eyebrows aren't impressing anyone. I'm serious, they look horrible. Its like DBZ and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo combined in some terrible horror movie. :/

Thanks for the criticism but the eyebrows are staying I'll just try to make them look less like daggers.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-12 13:40:59

At 6/6/11 10:57 PM, Smorsh wrote:
At 6/1/11 03:25 AM, roderickii wrote:
At 6/1/11 03:21 AM, DemocracyFTW wrote: the proportions and coloring are brutily terrible.
there stylized like that on prupose moron...btw thanks for your useless input.
Because the arms are supposed to be that of a T-Rex's.

Rexs' are awesome.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-12 15:03:42

more practice of character's anatomy. I'm going for a skinny but strong look with his arms. It's kinda tough.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to Original character in development 2011-06-12 15:18:55

At 6/12/11 03:03 PM, roderickii wrote: more practice of character's anatomy. I'm going for a skinny but strong look with his arms. It's kinda tough.

You should focus on the actual study of anatomy rather than posing.
Not just the arms either. Get the proportions of the body down.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature