00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SlamtheTopHatMan just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG art rules unfairly strict

1,198 Views | 21 Replies

NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 01:43:03

Go to IN SHORT: if you want to skip the good stuff. (not recommended)

I'm not complaining, merely trying to understand.

If you become a flash artist and make shitty flashes then you don't loose your right to be critiqued and scored as far as I know. Why is this, pretty much 70-80-ish percent of newgrounds appeal are the flashes submitted here on a regular, shouldn't this be judged more harshly? I like to think so.

But for artist, OH SHIT you better be on top of your fuckin game apparently. Now I don't know how strict the mods are when considering to un scout an artist- and for that matter who has majority of the say so in this situation, the Scouted users, Mods, NG "reviewers", real NG reviewers? I could understand if were getting special benefits for contributing our works, but seriously? We are doin the same damn thing everyone else is.

Perhaps I just answered my own question in the first paragraph. Maybe it is because Newground's main focus is flash/flash games (even though some claim otherwise) they are going to let these people get off easy and not constantly worry if their work is acceptable or not hoping they learn from harsh reviewers, flamers, and trolls I guess. I believe art submissions have existed since what, late 2010? So it's not a necessity in NG eyes in my opinion.

I could have this all wrong, maybe the point of being hard on an artist is so that the individual will fall within the communities terms but flash artist don't have to worry about this nearly as much as the art portal, and if art is a personal expression then damn what the community considers "art". I don't care if some pretentious user thinks my art is shit or not but I do care about exposing it and having critiques on it without having to politely annoy a handful of individuals in the art forum at the moment who don't really care. Or worry if I can still contribute to NG outside of amateur reviews and wasting time in the forums....yeah.

IN SHORT:

NO double standards, I don't want to be under the whip of users on whether i'm a credible artist or not just cause mr 1,000 art submissions says so. I just want to be scouted based on MY OWN interest in art. Hopefully i speak for some members when i say, If an artist can loose their ability to be in art portal then so should flash, music, and so on.

Give me a reason that makes sense as to why NG's art submission rules are so strict?

If it's cause "Tom Fulp said so,deal with it" or whoever else has authority then just say so and expect a drawn out "screw you" reply.

Also if these" opinionated/rant, however you see them" threads are frowned upon then FAQ need to be more in depth.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 02:18:35

If you've got time to complain, then you've got time to draw.
Raging over The System and how no one wants to scout you or your generic sonic fanfic characters will get you nowhere.

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 02:23:06

At 5/30/11 01:43 AM, roderickii wrote: Maybe it is because Newground's main focus is flash/flash games.

Pretty much this.
An average flash submission under judgement will get around 200-500 views, thus making a decent fundamental for judging the flash based purely on votes and reviews.

An average art portal submission though normally won't get off the first page with more than 150 views, and even fewer votes.
This gives the voters a much larger impact on the submissions, thus making the save/blam function not optimal.

I don't think the scouting system is the best, but it's what we've got. And in the end, Tom has the last say.

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 02:34:29

At 5/30/11 02:18 AM, Kumakun4 wrote: If you've got time to complain, then you've got time to draw.
Raging over The System and how no one wants to scout you or your generic sonic fanfic characters will get you nowhere.

About as generic as your anime style and btw good job on completely ignoring my shading and inking skills asshole.

Think before you type bitch.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 02:39:28

We're actually fairly lax about who's allowed in the portal (except for ornery who rules with an iron fist). If something has at least some artistic merit, and the person obviously put a lot of time and effort into it, then usually we'll let it stay.

Sorry to put you on the spot,you did make this thread though, but to be blunt the reason you're not going to get into the portal is because all your work is just okay drawings of sonic characters, or other existing characters. They aren't bad by any means, but they're not great. When it comes to people who just do exclusively fan art, generally it has to be pretty exceptional or it's not going to stay in the portal long (see: C-Rocket1).

The portal is meant to show off good, original work by newgrounds artists. To tell the truth there are so many people who draw sonic fan art that it's astounding. Unless it's of pretty high quality, sonic fan art alone is not going to get you in the portal.

My suggestion as far as getting scouted would go is to just keep practicing drawing. Nothing's wrong with doing fanart, but it's also important to develop your skills so you can create your own original, and unique work. In the mean time, the Art Forum is here for people who are unscouted or just want suggestions and critiques. Everyone's allowed to have their own thread in the forum to post their work and get feedback from the community.

I'm sorry you're frustrated about not getting scouted for the portal, but it's our job to maintain a certain level of a quality in the Art Portal. Like I said, best advice I could possibly give you (for growing as an artist in general, not just on Newgrounds) is to move away from doing Sonic fan art. I know Sonic is just the cats pajamas, but there are better things out there to draw.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 02:44:54

Have you completely forgotten that the Flash portal and the Audio portal use blam and moderator approval systems respectively?
Whether it's in your insignificant interest to be put onto the stage, it's not ours to view it. You are completely free to upload your works onto your userpage which you can whore 'til your hearts content, but to be scouted into the Art portal means you actually have to have some sort of likable skill.

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 02:49:17

At 5/30/11 02:44 AM, Kuoke wrote: Have you completely forgotten that the Flash portal and the Audio portal use blam and moderator approval systems respectively?

This doesn't change the fact that they immediately can be critiqued and scored.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 02:54:31

At 5/30/11 02:34 AM, roderickii wrote: About as generic as your anime style and btw good job on completely ignoring my shading and inking skills asshole.

Wow, you really think you're the shit, huh.
I think Captain-Ben's covered everything though.
Sorry I hurt your delicate sensibilities.

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 02:57:56

At 5/30/11 02:49 AM, roderickii wrote:
At 5/30/11 02:44 AM, Kuoke wrote: Have you completely forgotten that the Flash portal and the Audio portal use blam and moderator approval systems respectively?
This doesn't change the fact that they immediately can be critiqued and scored.

Art can be immediately critiqued when it is posted to your userpage.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 03:00:45

At 5/30/11 02:39 AM, Captain-Ben wrote:

as to be pretty exceptional or it's not going to stay in the portal long (see: C-Rocket1).

My suggestion as far as getting scouted would go is to just keep practicing drawing. Nothing's wrong with doing fanart, but it's also important to develop your skills so you can create your own original, and unique work. In the mean time, the Art Forum is here for people who are unscouted or just want suggestions and critiques. Everyone's allowed to have their own thread in the forum to post their work and get feedback from the community.

No offense but if that's what it took it would've helped tohave that in the FAQ.

Thanks though now I know what makes NG tick, so stay tuned.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 03:01:55

At 5/30/11 02:49 AM, roderickii wrote: This doesn't change the fact that they immediately can be critiqued and scored.

To my knowledge, the audio portal has a system that is similar to the art portal's scouting, and is far stricter as everyone needs mod approval instead of just any user.

And frankly the flash comparison is weak. A standard piece in the art portal probably takes maybe 4-12 hours depending on the artist, it could be more, it could be less.
Flashes take 10s of hundreds of hours to complete something of any quality. 1 drawing, compared to thousands.

On the actual scouting problem.
Go to deviantart and click the newest tab and examine the page.
I'll wait
...done?
K, the reason we have the scouting system is so that kid who can pick up a pencil and rub it against a paper can get into the portal. There is a standard of quality going on here, it's not particularly strict, but it's there.

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 03:03:21

Also, I just checked your art page.
Your submissions are listed as sketches, and don't technically count as in the portal. So anyone who may have wanted to scout you, couldn't have.

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 03:06:38

At 5/30/11 02:54 AM, Kumakun4 wrote:
At 5/30/11 02:34 AM, roderickii wrote: About as generic as your anime style and btw good job on completely ignoring my shading and inking skills asshole.
Wow, you really think you're the shit, huh.

Hey, you diss me I diss you. Simple as that.

Sorry I hurt your delicate sensibilities.

I forgive your assumptive and pretentious attitude.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 03:10:48

At 5/30/11 03:03 AM, M-Vero wrote: Also, I just checked your art page.
Your submissions are listed as sketches, and don't technically count as in the portal. So anyone who may have wanted to scout you, couldn't have.

well 2 of them were checked, I guess i forgot with my later submissions.

Thats kinda annoying to check your submission to be in the portal rather than checking them NOT to be in it aint it?

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 03:32:00

Sorry to put you on the spot,you did make this thread though, but to be blunt the reason you're not going to get into the portal is because all your work is just okay drawings of sonic characters, or other existing characters. They aren't bad by any means, but they're not great. When it comes to people who just do exclusively fan art, generally it has to be pretty exceptional or it's not going to stay in the portal long (see: C-Rocket1).

Btw should C-Rocket's art be classified as illustrations? alot more digital if you ask me.

QOTW:

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 03:34:05

Even though I doubt I have anything new to say but I'll through my two cents in anyway.

The Scouting system makes it so that as I'm looking through the art of Newgrounds I see the good stuff not the tons of Sonic Fanart the internet has to offer (ha). All you have to do to get into the portal is improve your drawing skills and draw original stuff. plain and simple. If you have concerns about people not seeing your work make a personal thread here in the forums where many of us regulars will pop in from time to time and give you constructive critiques and whatnots (provided you are willing to listen to or critiques and whatnots). Eventually you'll make it to the portal. Also I would STRONGLY recommend ceasing in your Sonic drawings. Sonic will get you nowhere; take his own existence as an example.

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 03:40:18

"Btw should C-Rocket's art be classified as illustrations? alot more digital if you ask me."

NG art rules unfairly strict

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 03:43:10

At 5/30/11 03:40 AM, M-Vero wrote: "Btw should C-Rocket's art be classified as illustrations? alot more digital if you ask me."

I second this.

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 04:21:14

At 5/30/11 02:34 AM, roderickii wrote: Think before you type bitch.

This, just got interesting...
It'll give me something to chuckle at when I'm working on projects tomorrow. Especially if it boils down to a flame fest.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 04:24:46

The scouting system may not be a flawless system, but it's quite a useful one I might say. It kinda keeps the quality so that we won't end up like deviantart. Plus another advantage of this system is that art doesn't get archived that quickly. Causing users to get a decent amount of views per submission.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 05:11:52

Think of it like this:

You can paint a picture, you can enjoy it, you can hang it up in your garage for people to see if they come to your house.

But just because you painted that picture doesn't mean you get to hang it in a museum. If the museum threw up on the wall every painting by every subpar amateur artist then nobody would want to go to the museum.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to NG art rules unfairly strict 2011-05-30 06:01:12

I think everybody covered the question, especially Captain-Ben.

If the scouting system was so lax then there would be a lot more people complaining about the shoddy art and not browsing it, than people feeling a bit surprised about not being scouted.

I'm locking this thread, because most people gave the same response as me, and I reckon this thread is going to pave a way for "why ain't I scouted!!!" posts.

Thanks for posing the question, though, and I hope you got the answers you wanted.

BBS Signature