00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jmurr12 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anyone Want to Help the New guy?

22,722 Views | 179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-02 21:37:45

I could use a couple of critiques with my works! :D if you don't mind it would very much so be appreciated! :D :D

Here's a piece I've done
tell me what you think?

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-02 22:28:27

This is actually a really good piece. What medium did you use?

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-02 22:58:51

Mechanical Pencil and Tortillian! :D :D

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-02 23:28:04

Looks pretty cool!
I wish you hadn't erased that part of the hair, but it still looks nice.
I like the shadows, it really gives it a kinda different feeling. How did gave it that "brown" tone?

Who are you looking for? What are you looking at?

A light? a star. A boat? an insect. A plane? a flying fish

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-02 23:51:47

At 3/2/11 09:37 PM, silversunned wrote: I could use a couple of critiques with my works! :D if you don't mind it would very much so be appreciated! :D :D

Here's a piece I've done
tell me what you think?

I like it! You are skilled at rendering lighting and shading on paper, which is a hard thing to do. I'm extremely fond of frontal portraits of women (yikes, my gallery is pretty much only that >_<). If I may, I have a few tips concerning that drawing.

First off, I would like to mention the skull half of your drawing is impeccable. The lighting, cracks and texture perfectly suit the finish of bone and it just spells out your experience at drawing them. Two thumbs way up for that part.

As for the human half, that's where I can direct most of my critique. I will first underline the fact every anatomical feature of the face matches the other half on the bone, which is a good first step. However, although the position is right, you have to watch the size and orientation of the eye. The eyeball's sphere depicted in your drawing pretty much matches the eyeball socket in the skull. In reality, the eyeball is surrounded by muscle and fat, so it's in fact much smaller than the socket of the skull. The eyelids even only show a small portion of that sphere! So yeah, bottomline would be to watch the size of the eyes and turn them less inwards in order to get a more natural result. I understand this is very hard to keep track of when drawing on paper, but you can get around the problem with good preparation before you actually start shading.

Speaking of shading, that's the second thing I wanted towrite about! Overall, as I mentionned earlier, your shading technique is very good and your rendition of bone is miles above average. I think, however, that you can achieve a more natural feeling on skin by decreasing the contrast in the face. For instance, it's rarely advisable to shade the area around the nose that goes follows under the cheeck. This adds a lot to the age of the face, and sometimes it adds too much. The same thing goes for the area between the bottom of the nose and the top of the lips, which rarely requires contrast because that area is often subject to shadow from the nose. I also think some lines are a bit hard on the face and take away from the quasi photorealistic effect achieved on some other parts of the drawing, i.e. the lines around the lips, under the nose and under the chin. Skin is extremely difficult to render realistically and it takes a lot of practice!

Needless to say, I think your work is quite good and I hope you persevere!

(wow I was not expecting to write such a long critique!)

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-03 01:33:10

I gave it the Brownish feel by giving it a sepia tone through the photo part LOL if that makes sense I can't think of the right word oh wait, it's called a Sepia Filter :D

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-03 01:36:13

it's ok! :D the critique is welcomed! :D it helps improve my capabilities with art and such :D Now when it comes to bone, Yes I have lots of random experience that I didn't necessarily get from drawing it, but more or less by studying specific features and shading patterns that is more prominent in All skull and bone related things :D :D As for the Human side Sorry I had to make that from scratch so it was kinda hard to make it match the skull right LOLOL

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-03 04:24:49

you hve good rendering skillz moar.

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-03 17:39:18

Lol well thank you! :D :D I surely will attempt more :D :D

At 3/3/11 04:24 AM, homojesus wrote: you hve good rendering skillz moar.

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-03 18:04:07

OK so everyone is being SO DAMN picky about this Thread thing Sorry I'm just trying to figure things out you guys don't have to be jerks and bite my damn head off..... Oh here's another piece I've done.... yay, Sonic.

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-03 18:07:45

At 3/3/11 06:04 PM, silversunned wrote: OK so everyone is being SO DAMN picky about this Thread thing Sorry I'm just trying to figure things out you guys don't have to be jerks and bite my damn head off

1 person, 1 person being a mod, politely told you this.

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-03 18:12:11

Actually there were other people in other threads that bitched me out. But that's besides the point, if you want people to get the Thread thing maybe you should help them out and tell them what the should do instead of just saying their idiots because they don't understand yet.

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-03 18:19:52

At 3/3/11 06:12 PM, silversunned wrote: Actually there were other people in other threads that bitched me out. But that's besides the point, if you want people to get the Thread thing maybe you should help them out and tell them what the should do instead of just saying their idiots because they don't understand yet.

Actually, people do help them out, there are just a few users that call people idiots and don't say why.
Regardless, it is considered impolite to post your art in another peson's thread. Think of it this way: You don't just walk into someone else's house and set up your own bed.

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-03 18:23:37

That's true, I was just trying to get my art out there and about, but hey now I at least understand the whole what's mine should stay mine concept to the threads Thanks! :D

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-03 18:41:33

Things are actually a lot better than they used to be... but this is a good reminder that we're all suppose to be nicer and make people feel welcome and comfortable.

Nice sonic.

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-03 18:47:13

Thanks Nae! :D

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-03 18:59:47

The only problem I see is that the eye is too big, other than that, awesome peice.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-03 19:02:24

Lol thanks :D

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-04 05:27:31

OK so here's a WIP I'm doing I felt that I needed to Redo a Pyramid Head (the last one I worked on was over a year ago and I've improved greatly since so here's what I have so far! :D :D

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-04 08:00:41

At 3/4/11 05:27 AM, silversunned wrote: OK so here's a WIP I'm doing I felt that I needed to Redo a Pyramid Head (the last one I worked on was over a year ago and I've improved greatly since so here's what I have so far! :D :D

The shading looks nice, but there are some anatomical details that bother me a bit.
For a guy that muscular, his shouldermuscle should be a little more pronounced, that makes the arm look more natural. Now it looks like his arm is kind of popped on and doesn't have a joint.
Furthermore, his stomach looks like it has too many muscles, and they're kind of weaved together in a way that's not very natural.. his bellybutton is also too low.
Anyway, here's a good example of muscleform in the pose you're drawing. You can clearly see the shoulder 'pops out' a little, and the bellybutton is placed a lot higher. You can also see a difference in where the bicep is attached to the inside of the elbow.
But your technique looks really good, these are just some anatomical tweaks.

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-04 09:44:54

Everyone's doing Pyramid Head these days. Quite impressive. More than mine the way I see it. Have you played the games?

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-04 14:55:28

At 3/3/11 06:04 PM, silversunned wrote: yay, Sonic.

That looks really good, reminds me the Sonic movie, actually. Liking the Pyramid Head too, are you going to go back and finish his other hand?

Come reply to my Art Thread or I will forever hate you with a passion!

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-04 15:37:21

:are you going to go back and finish his other hand?

Yes actually in fact I've worked more on the picture since I've posted this and have most of the body finished (fixed the shoulder issue) added more scars and veins, and started work on the innevetably hard Head of his! LOLOL oh and his other arm is mostly done too :D :D

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-04 16:02:00

At 3/4/11 05:27 AM, silversunned wrote: OK so here's a WIP I'm doing I felt that I needed to Redo a Pyramid Head (the last one I worked on was over a year ago and I've improved greatly since so here's what I have so far! :D :D

looks a helluva lot like this

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-04 18:47:43

That's were I got the idea! :D however I'm doing it in my style instead of the cartoonish style that one is done in :D

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-04 19:11:41

This is actually the first Pic I've done that I used from someone else's Pic so I didn't get much confusion, only from this pic, I do plan on Giving credit to the original artist who did this pic purely for the fact that I don't like people stealing my ideas then not giving me credit LOLOL

Don't be jealous I have a long way to go before I get to were I want to be! :D :D

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-05 03:04:44

OK so I have more done :D :D

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-05 03:07:03

At 3/5/11 03:04 AM, silversunned wrote: OK so I have more done :D :D

You have great shading mate.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-05 03:08:14

Thanks! :D

Response to Anyone Want to Help the New guy? 2011-03-05 23:01:37

At 3/3/11 06:04 PM, silversunned wrote: OK so everyone is being SO DAMN picky about this Thread thing Sorry I'm just trying to figure things out you guys don't have to be jerks and bite my damn head off..... Oh here's another piece I've done.... yay, Sonic.

I'm confused what happened here, but I think you got it all cleared up.
I think sonic's nose is huge. Like, Pinocchio huge. Although it sticks out, it is relatively small.

At 3/5/11 03:04 AM, silversunned wrote: OK so I have more done :D :D

Looks really good; Fifty is right, great shading.
I think his nipple is in a really weird position. It is almost on the side of his pec! Maybe it could be facing forward a bit more.
The upper most abdominal muscle is shaped a bit weird.
There seems to be very little space between the pecs and his collar bone.
You probably shouldn't be able to see that much of the [his] left side of his neck. And if you can, then more of the [his] left side of his chest should also be visible.
From what we see of his left bicep, it is pretty misshapen.
His right arm could also be more muscular.
I like how you adapted the hand from the reference into him holding something. Hehe.

Now, don't think I'm being mean. I'm just calling it as I see it.
Its still pretty impressive.
You should pay closer attention to your reference. Pay attention to the anatomy. It is correct (well, mostly). You are straying a bit, and thats where the weaker points of your picture is. Don't be scared to look up several pictures of sexy, muscular men. If you have different angles of the muscles, you get to know them better, and then it should be easier to, well, get it right, I guess.

Oh, and have fun, I guess :P