00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

blakenator9872 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

just testing things out

9,798 Views | 72 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to just testing things out 2011-06-14 19:59:42

Origional idea for my XWarrior character. The arms are horribly short and I've re-designed a few other things since then. (3 years old)

just testing things out

Just testing things out l popcorn

XWarrior code 61: There's family, friends, and honor. In terms of importance: 1 is permanent, 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-06-14 20:02:09

Started a doodle when I was waiting for class, but I wound up doing a little more than expected. (9 months old)

just testing things out

XWarrior code 61: There's family, friends, and honor. In terms of importance: 1 is permanent, 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-06-14 20:22:22

Work in progress, the plan is to merge two separate drawings. But, thanks to working 2 jobs for the summer, time to finish just this half is a rarity.

I'd like to post other things that I've drawn, but the bulk of what I haven't posted anywhere is either copy art (since I've never taken an actual drawing class before, copy art is all I've used to get my drawing to where I'm at now), random doodles, or just incomplete works and I'm too lazy to go back to them.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-07-05 00:27:11

Alright, this one was just something I drew to kill some time. However, I have been looking at a couple of sites in addition to the links that VividGrim gave me a while back, plus an anatomy book that I thought that I had lost a few years ago. Give me a few minutes and I'll toss what I've been looking at together in photoshop as one large image.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-07-05 00:44:21

Here it is, and again thanks VividGrim.

the additiional sites I looked at were:

http://papermovies.wordpress.com/2009/03 /03/how-to-draw-a-mouth/
http://www.howtodrawmanga.com/howtodraw/
jdillon/nosemouth.html

http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Portr aiture/StillLifePortraits/Lesson6/index.
html

And the book I mentioned was "Atlas of anatomy for artists" by Fritz Schider

Let me know if this seems to be a step in the right direction

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-07-05 03:07:22

At 7/5/11 02:16 AM, Kitten2910 wrote: Your art ain't that bad just loks kinda "bolkish" to me.

I'm trying to do something about that. But, the whole "never taken a reputable art class" limits what improves and how quickly I make the improvement. The bulk of what I know that wasn't learned through copying was shown to me by a friend that has a slight obsession with Superman and mainly showed me the styles used in the comics (likely the main reason why I draw bodies the way I do, it's tough getting away from that style after using it as a base for so many years). Probably dosn't help that everything is freehand either. I've had tools all along, just been too lazy to use them on anything I draw.

Oh, and here's a pic that has two firsts for me.
1- First use of what I picked up on using the websites (still freehand).
2- First attempt at drawing a woman/ femaninish face (I think the proportions on the nose and mouth are off a bit and the chin is a bit wide)

It's still a pretty rough sketch so It should be relatively easy to make any adjustments anyone wants to point out.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-07-09 01:40:36

Still working on getting things right drawing with tools, just a bit odd after years of drawing freehand. But, here's another sketch using the notes I took last week. Still freehand and I'm trying to focus on getting my proportions right over detail work, but I should (hopefully) have something drawn using tools that I'm comfortable posting here by this time next week.

P.S.- I've already started putting together a Madness day drawing. Hopefully photoshop doesn't fight me like it did with my failed Pico Day drawing.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-07-12 02:47:51

Larger version of my new forum sig. Nothing special, just working on getting a little more comfortable using a tablet.

*Note* The small print reads "always by the code of the 50". There are only 50 XWarriors even though I'm #61. (I'm the only one on Newgrounds)

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-07-12 02:50:05

At 7/12/11 02:47 AM, XWarrior61 wrote: Larger version of my new forum sig. Nothing special, just working on getting a little more comfortable using a tablet.

*Note* The small print reads "always by the code of the 50". There are only 50 XWarriors even though I'm #61. (I'm the only one on Newgrounds)

Proportion constraint on the site kept it too small, sorry.

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-07-26 04:00:41

So, J-qb started a thread for a Self-portrait collab some time ago. I have an entry in it already, but I wound up with more free time than expected from work and school, which meant that I started a drawing that I'm seriously thinking about entering as either a replacement or secondary submission. It's not done yet (I apologize for the quality of this picture, I haven't been able to get at my scanner for a while now, the webcam on my laptop is all I have) but I would appreciate a bit of critique on this one before i start thinking about coloring.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-07-30 04:36:59

Managing to find just enough time to draw, don't know how much I'm improving with my overall performance. Backgrounds and major detail still give me a hard time when I make an attempt at them , but this picture was a training exercise aimed at facial features.

I don't know how well they are visible, but the parts with numbers next to them or above them were things I couldn't find an actual reference for. Here is a link to the dumping grounds for a larger view.

As always any advice would be appreciated.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-08-06 00:40:53

First two are sketches (obviously) and the third is my current entry in the self portrait collab J-qb started. Should I stick with my current entry or buckle down and do further work on one of the other two?

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-08-08 05:52:59

nothing really special, just testing the outer limits of what could be considered my "comfort zone" when using a tablet.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-09-04 00:52:46

So, instead of going with one of the 2 other ideas I drew for the self-portrait collab, I tried putting some of what I've been learning to good use. I still have to look into shading tutorials, but I decided on making this my official entry. The colored picture from two posts ago that I was debating replacing, until I am told or see otherwise, is still part of the collab. But, I told J-qb he could cut it from the collab if he needed to make room for other entries or lower the file size.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-09-06 06:10:56

just noticed that the eyes were off center in my last one. Can't fix it without photoshop since the original is outlined in sharpie.

I've been thinking about getting a second tattoo and so far this one is my personal favorite at the moment. I'm open to any suggestions on changing how its laid out or possible ideas that still keep the overall theme of being a Sportsman.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-09-06 07:10:06

For your pictures of people and faces, you really want to be looking up proportions. Like, really. The general details and anatomy (someone tell me if I'm getting my vernaculars mixed up here) are all there, they're all just warped into weird looking baby-men. Bottom line, they look off.

All the same, a good start, so keep at it. Or whatever.

Response to just testing things out 2011-09-22 11:39:41

3 defunct madness day ideas (and how far I got with each).

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-11-03 21:16:26

A'ight:

I'll apologize ahead of time for the double post, but I neglected to put my stuff from Madness Day and Halloween. Don't know how I missed the "must be scouted rule", but it is what it is and I needed the practice.

So, Madness Day: previous ideas didn't pan out the way I would've liked, so I put this together. No background since its still a weak point in my work, but I don't plan on focusing on it too much until I take care of some other problems (namely subject proportions and detail).

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-11-03 21:29:38

Past this Halloween picture, I haven't been drawing at all. I'm in three 300 level college history courses, so class work is getting in the way (a lot of f'n papers). So, it'll probably be mid to late January before I start posting any more work.

For the Pic.- Not much I can say. Nose was giving me trouble (hence the pumpkin) and, as I said before, detail and backgrounds are problematic for me.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-11-04 10:29:15

Definitely improving. Keep it up and dont give up!

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-11-29 20:46:05

Ha, one of my papers got cancelled and I had an additional chunk of spare time by managing to make time for a 3 day hunting trip (still pissed that I missed my shot). But since I had a small sketchbook with me at camp, I turned out a few random pics. Nothing special, just felt like sharing.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-12-02 15:38:55

So, this kid in one of my history classes has been pestering the professor to do a drawing competition as extra credit. Today he got his wish, but there were two stipulations: 20 min. to complete and it must have something to do with the time periods covered. I wanted to do one of those gold miner characters from Looney Tunes, but without a reference to work off of this is the best I could do (only the nose says Looney Tunes, the miners were never that bulky on the show). Needless to say I won (stick figures dressed as pilgrims, seriously.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-12-08 09:13:24

Did this a long time ago, well at least 9 months ago. I'm able to draw Yosamite Sam from memory, but I always seem to screw up the arm and leg proportions.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-12-08 10:29:31

You should better at the center of the legs, because Yosemite Sam like a girl.

Response to just testing things out 2011-12-08 11:04:05

At 12/8/11 09:13 AM, XWarrior61 wrote: Did this a long time ago, well at least 9 months ago. I'm able to draw Yosamite Sam from memory, but I always seem to screw up the arm and leg proportions.

Not bad, definitely recognizable which is always key.
And yeah, definitely need to get rid of the camel toe XD

Response to just testing things out 2011-12-08 11:16:21

At 12/8/11 10:29 AM, DrFox wrote: You should better at the center of the legs, because Yosemite Sam like a girl.

Yeah, just shitty detail attempt on that. Its supposed to be the fly of his pants (I know you never see anything of it in the actual cartoons, but I've been trying to put my own spin on it).

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-12-08 11:38:41

At 12/8/11 11:16 AM, XWarrior61 wrote: Yeah, just shitty detail attempt on that. Its supposed to be the fly of his pants (I know you never see anything of it in the actual cartoons, but I've been trying to put my own spin on it).

The fly comes down from the waist, not up from the crotch XD

Response to just testing things out 2011-12-08 11:57:54

At 12/8/11 11:38 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 12/8/11 11:16 AM, XWarrior61 wrote: Yeah, just shitty detail attempt on that. Its supposed to be the fly of his pants (I know you never see anything of it in the actual cartoons, but I've been trying to put my own spin on it).
The fly comes down from the waist, not up from the crotch XD

Ah, crap. I was thinking of one of my other attempts at Yosamite Sam. That was actually supposed to be just a fold in his pants since he stepped up on a rock. Now that I really think about it, it doesn't really work from that perspective. Oh well, live and learn.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-12-20 11:06:23

Apologies ahead of time for the double post

I seem to be relapsing back into a more cartoonish style of drawing lately. I'm calling it a relapse because it's probably been at least 4 years since I drew using this style. Guess that's what happens when I step awway from copy art for so long.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-12-20 11:13:37

This was just something I did when I worked for my town two years ago. The job included a lot of sitting around (night security at the public pool). So, having watched FFVII: Advent Children earlier that day, I just started putting this together. Not the greatest looking thing I've ever drawn, but it killed a lot of time on my shift.

just testing things out

BBS Signature