00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lmaoghosthh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

just testing things out

9,790 Views | 72 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

just testing things out 2011-02-16 19:51:53

Mostly draw on paper (no tools), so these character drawings are only only colored using photoshop. I'm nowhere near decent enough to draw something presentable using my tablet.

Anyway, first up the main villan, General Seign.

The characters I post on this thread are concepts for a videogame I've been thinking of.

just testing things out

Just testing things out l popcorn

XWarrior code 61: There's family, friends, and honor. In terms of importance: 1 is permanent, 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-02-16 20:18:58

You know, that's not that bad actually, but you should really try to draw with your tablet imho.
Just start with simple shapes, spheres, cubes, pyramids, the whole deal, then go to curving etc etc.
You'll get better :)

Tick Tock

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-02-16 20:24:19

Actually, this is the best I can muster with a tablet as of yet.

just testing things out

XWarrior code 61: There's family, friends, and honor. In terms of importance: 1 is permanent, 2 and 3 are interchangeable.

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-02-16 20:38:29

At 2/16/11 08:24 PM, XWarrior61 wrote: Actually, this is the best I can muster with a tablet as of yet.

hello doctor freeman

Response to just testing things out 2011-02-16 20:55:10

At 2/16/11 08:24 PM, XWarrior61 wrote: Actually, this is the best I can muster with a tablet as of yet.

That's far from bad man, you really need to work on coloring though, it's really bright colors right now, try to experiment with going into darker, less vivid colors, and do more shadowing and detailing.

Though THAT is already far from bad, good going man.

Tick Tock

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-02-16 21:03:11

At 2/16/11 08:38 PM, Ashman wrote:
hello doctor freeman

Pretty much all of my friends that are familiar with Half-life have made that comment elsewhere. (thats actually a drawing of myself)

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-02-16 21:10:25

Heres the main character, XWarrior 60.

Still working out some design issues with his armor.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-02-17 15:38:31

At 2/16/11 08:55 PM, Falonefal wrote:
That's far from bad man, you really need to work on coloring though, it's really bright colors right now, try to experiment with going into darker, less vivid colors, and do more shadowing and detailing.

Though THAT is already far from bad, good going man.

Well, compared to other art I've seen on NG, I'm pretty low on the talent scale. The only thing I can say to my credit is that I have no formal training in drawing; everything I draw is self taught. (of course I'm not familiar with all of the artists on NG, so there probably are some other people who draw pretty amazing things without any training)

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-02-18 12:08:52

Anyone familiar with Zeurel's work will surely recognize this one.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-02-20 13:25:05

Yet another fan art of some of Zeurel's characters (completed 2-20-2011)

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-02-20 14:52:45

Everything has a nice, stylized cartoony look. If you're gunning for something approaching realistic humans, I'm going to suggest drawing some human skulls for practice.

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to just testing things out 2011-02-22 06:41:31

At 2/20/11 02:52 PM, maficmelody wrote: Everything has a nice, stylized cartoony look. If you're gunning for something approaching realistic humans, I'm going to suggest drawing some human skulls for practice.

Thanks for the tip

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-04-01 20:55:22

Been a while since I had the time to do this with something in my sketchbook.
Name: Shelby Kingston

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-04-03 12:08:56

Not the best compared to some of my other stuff.
If anyone is actually reading this: Other than practice, can you give me some pointers on fore-shortening and keeping a steady hand on a tablet (granted it's even possible)

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-04-03 12:41:49

The last 2 drawings look like a normal image that's been skewed, your drawing makes the characters looks flimsy as if they are made of paper.

Response to just testing things out 2011-04-03 13:50:05

Comment on what you can with anything here.

p.s- Thanks Toast-Tony, I'll see what I can do about that on my next full body.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-04-09 11:51:05

At 4/3/11 12:41 PM, Toast-Tony wrote: The last 2 drawings look like a normal image that's been skewed, your drawing makes the characters looks flimsy as if they are made of paper.

I know I thanked you for the comment already, but would you mind elaborating a bit. A more detailed response should let me know if I need to alter my drawing style when I put pencil to paper or if I need to re-think how I run things through photoshop.

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-04-09 11:58:08

Trying to get a little more accustomed to using texture tools on Photoshop with this one. The detail in the hair is something I still do by hand (and if my tablet had feelings, it would probably hate my guts for doing so). For the rest of it, the textures were: Scarf- loose weave, Shirt- blistered paint, Vest- leather, Hat- concrete, Hat Strap- Gila Monster skin (custom texture).

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-04-19 22:22:01

Don't know why I keep putting stuff up here, but here it goes:

This character, for the moment, is in his own continuum with Kingston and Trigger. I'm contemplating mergeing with what storyline I've thought up for XWarrior so far, but I need to work out a few kinks (mainly the fact that I can't get an acceptable look or name for a major character). I know how he works into the storyline, I just need a different style of armor than what is used by XWarrior.

Anyway, this characters name is Dengu (don't ask, he was origionally a bulls*it character). He mostly pal around with Trigger, the guy with the bow a few posts ago, his full bio is listed on another site (link available on my account page)

comment should you feel so inclined. I know I still need to work on my drawing quite a bit, just need someone to point out what I need to improve on the most

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-04-19 22:58:55

At 4/19/11 10:22 PM, XWarrior61 wrote: comment should you feel so inclined. I know I still need to work on my drawing quite a bit, just need someone to point out what I need to improve on the most

Most noticeable thing is the palm. It's much too large, fingers should be closer.

Response to just testing things out 2011-04-19 23:42:20

At 4/19/11 10:22 PM, XWarrior61 wrote: comment should you feel so inclined. I know I still need to work on my drawing quite a bit, just need someone to point out what I need to improve on the most

I suggest drawing your characters as shapes in space.. I'm having trouble understanding which kind of perspective you're communicating.

just testing things out

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to just testing things out 2011-04-20 22:45:58

Well, first off: Thanks for pointing some things out big-jonny-13 and maficmelody. Most everything I post here starts in my sketchbook before scanning it into photoshop, so it'll probably be quite some time before I post anything "improved".

Second: Don't usually like using only photoshop to draw things (mostly because I'm s*it compared to other people on Newgrounds), but I got bored and put this together. Since a tank is in the logo for this website, I'll probably catch alot of flack for posting this one.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-04-21 16:08:34

Have to peice together 3 different drawings to get what, hopefully, will be an acceptable first shot at an all photoshop full body. Two sidde bits are done, just workinf on the body now. Here's what I've gotten done so far.
Nedd to finish: whole body, shading, check angles and proportions.

Head and gun completed in different files and copied over, the whole thing is just a mess of layers and shapes.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-04-22 16:32:53

Thought about some things and made a couple adjustments to the tank a couple posts ago.

Changes:
1) Elongated the tank. The origional was too short, that was the reason why i hid part of it behind a sand dune (pure laziness, no other explanation).
2) Adjusted the shading
3) Did away with the dune in the foreground. I can hardly use photoshop to create a main subject, foreground and background images are still pretty far outside my "talent" range.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-05-18 11:57:04

Alrighty then, schools pretty much done (guaranteed to pass my final class regardless of my grade on the final)

So, Im' gonna double post today. This first one is based on what I memorized from a section on Rembrandt in my art history class. Took about three sketches in my notebook to get the facial expression without using a reference.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-05-18 12:04:32

Second post before I disappear again

This is a quick sketch of my XWarrior character. Besides the shading being crapppy, I'd appreciate some feedback on proportions and anything else you guys spot before I start running this one through photoshop. The right (outstretched) arm already has my attention, but I'm not sure what to do about it.

*note* I gave up on the all-photoshop drawing from a few post ago, far too ambitious for my skill level.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-06-14 11:59:54

2 days til I'm 21, whoop-de-friggin'-do. All it does is let me drink and my car insurance drops in price.

Any way: threw this together at the request of a friend of mine, nothing special.

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-06-14 15:32:42

Yeah, I agree with the guy above me. Proportions are off.
You're improving, though, it's starting to look better and better.
Also, it's not like I can do any better.

Response to just testing things out 2011-06-14 19:52:04

Alrighty, thanks for the tips.

For right now, I'm gonna do a quick art dump. Going from my oldest sketchbook to a work in progress.

For this first one, I had a picture for reference (5 years old).

just testing things out

BBS Signature

Response to just testing things out 2011-06-14 19:56:10

This one I actually up sized to a 3x4 oak tab for a class project. The scales were a real pain in the ass on both versions.

just testing things out

BBS Signature