00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KungFuCarafu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

370,318 Views | 4,137 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-12 20:20:34

At 11/12/11 07:48 PM, Makeshift wrote: Is Nazir of the Dark Brotherhood fucking Three Dog?

HOLY SHIT! SOMEONE CONFIRM?

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-12 20:23:56

I don't wanna be a werewolf anymore, damn it.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-12 20:33:49

At 11/12/11 08:23 PM, hitman1993 wrote: I don't wanna be a werewolf anymore, damn it.

Why not?

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-12 21:11:52

At 11/12/11 08:23 PM, hitman1993 wrote: I don't wanna be a werewolf anymore, damn it.

I've basically postponed that quest because I wasn't sure if I actually wanted to be a werewolf. It sounds cool and all, but if it's anything like vampirism was like on Oblivion, I'd rather just give it a miss.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-12 21:24:01

So I got the Steel Smithing perk that says "Can create Steel armor and weapons at forges, and improve them twice as much." I can now make steel equipment, but I don't seem able to improve my steel stuff any better.

Is the text misleading, or am I missing something?

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-12 21:25:49

At 11/12/11 09:24 PM, desert116 wrote: So I got the Steel Smithing perk that says "Can create Steel armor and weapons at forges, and improve them twice as much." I can now make steel equipment, but I don't seem able to improve my steel stuff any better.

Is the text misleading, or am I missing something?

It's somewhat misleading. Level 83 smithy here

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-12 21:34:59

Holy fucking shit, casting destruction spells is so much fucking fun. THE POWER!!!

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-12 21:48:43

Do you guys have the ring of Hircine?
In the description it says it provides extra transformations for werewolves. I think you have to find some little town and there's a guy that gets arrested there, do quests for him and kill a crazy fucking deer to get it.

I'm not a werewolf and haven't had the opportunity to be one yet, so I don't know for sure what it does. From what the guy was saying though, I think it lets you control when you want to transform.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-12 22:25:34

I HAVE to take back my earlier negative statement about magic. Wow, was I wrong. I got bored of my warrior, so decided to go make a High Elf pure mage. I'm lvl 3, just did The Golden Claw quest and learned all of Riverwood's spells, and I'm already stunned by these spells. Lesser ward is a freakin magic shield, that's cool as fuck. Plus that perk that overcharges destruction spells when dual casted? That is just the shit. I'm gonna play this mage a bit and see where it goes. I mean, this is only my second day playing, would it be that big of a deal if I decide to abandon my lvl 12 Nordic warrior?

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-12 22:50:39

At 11/12/11 10:27 PM, Cootie wrote:
At 11/12/11 09:34 PM, Xarnor wrote: Holy fucking shit, casting destruction spells is so much fucking fun. THE POWER!!!
Not as fun as sneaking up behind someone and cutting their neck with a dagger.

Cootie, I love you

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-12 22:55:12

I'm dissapointed.

My friend had issues with the beginning; when he got out of the wagon, his PS3 broke. He had to do a whole bunch of shit with his hard drive to get it working again, and he still can't play the game. This is definitely an issue.

The "cloth" map I was promised with the preorder is easily tearable paper.

Dual weilding sucks. No blocking, damage is the same, and swing speed is the same until you upgrade it, which can only be upgraded to 40% more, which is barely anything. And don't say "You have to dodge", because there is no dodging, unless you consider slowly strafing backwards to be a "dodge".

2-handed weapons suck. Their damage is pretty good, but you may-as-well not even block considering how ineffective it is. So, since you can't block, you have to "dodge".

The bow-and-arrow method sucks as well. It's like Oblivion; grossly overpowered at the beggining, but middle/end game, your opponent's corpse will look like a porcupine if you even have enough arrows.

At this point, there are only two forms of combat left; sword-and-shield and magic. So much for variety and choice, right?

Both of the aforementioned combat options are extremely bland; kiting enemies around while you spam Flames or Spark is not fun. Neither is holding your shield up and waiting for an opponent to hit you so you can hit them back. This is definitely one of my biggest problems with the game. Combat makes up a lot of the game, so shouldn't the combat be intense and spontanious?

The real-time dialogue was nice, except that I found several NPCs to be staring at me even when others were talking. No big deal, but it is a contributing factor.

Stamina is pointless; all it does is allow your character to sprint. Swinging your weapon does not take any away. Considering how quickly it is depleted, I would almost rather not have it at all. I can run a little bit faster for 5 seconds? Oooh.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-12 23:10:39

I decided to try enchanting an item, and now I'm wondering why I didn't do this earlier. I just enchanted my bow with a fire effect and renamed it "God's Penis".

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 00:55:44

At 11/12/11 07:48 PM, Makeshift wrote: Is Nazir of the Dark Brotherhood fucking Three Dog?

Is Cicero Joker?

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 02:09:44

At 11/12/11 10:55 PM, GamesArmor wrote: Dual weilding sucks. No blocking, damage is the same, and swing speed is the same until you upgrade it, which can only be upgraded to 40% more, which is barely anything. And don't say "You have to dodge", because there is no dodging, unless you consider slowly strafing backwards to be a "dodge".

Have you tried pressing both the left mouse button and the right mouse button at the same time (or the equivalent for whatever console you might be using)? The flurry of blows is quite useful, and if you time it right, your enemy has no chance.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 05:59:19

At 11/12/11 10:55 PM, GamesArmor wrote:
Stamina is pointless; all it does is allow your character to sprint. Swinging your weapon does not take any away. Considering how quickly it is depleted, I would almost rather not have it at all. I can run a little bit faster for 5 seconds? Oooh.

Light armour. Mage armour. Oooh.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 06:06:00

At 11/13/11 05:59 AM, letiger wrote:
At 11/12/11 10:55 PM, GamesArmor wrote:
Light armour. Mage armour. Oooh.

And did I also mention it affects your carry weight? Power attacks also take stamina.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 06:38:31

The biggest problem of my day so far is that I need to have a shower before I can start playing again. Dammit that takes like 20 minutes :(

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 06:48:57

GamesArmor, you seem to have little idea about a lot of the stuff you're talking about, for example you say that dual wielding does no more damage, but it actually does double. You claim bow and arrow is useless at mid/end game, not only can you not be even past early game but bows are extremely handy against dragons, and if you play a stealth based class you can one show from a fair distance. Stamina you say helps you sprint for 5 seconds, sprint time is determined by the weight of your armor, your proficiency in that kind of armour and the weight of c your inventory, staminaalso determines effectiveness of power attacks and total weight carriable. And finally you seem to think there are only 3 playstyles, archery, magic and swords. Yet each of these can be combined, which makes 7 playstyles, and even then mellee and magic have several variations, melee has sword and shield, two handed, dual weild, axes, warhammers, etc. And magic has Conjuration, necromancy, destruction and restoration to name a few.

Not sure if you're Stupid or a troll.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 06:58:10

Jack of all trades, master of one.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 07:00:09

Well, I spent about 8 hours playing Skyrim yesterday and I full well intend to do the same today, the game is just so much damn fun. They quite literally, I think, have fixed all of the problems I had with Oblivion in Skyrim.

Though a few things annoy me; I can't parry with dual wielded weapons. Why? I also can't parry with a 1 hander, and magic. This totally ruined my idea of a fighter/mage hybrid so I ended up going full mage (which in turn kinda made we wish I didn't choose an imperial.)

The UI on PC is kind of completely shitty, took some time to get used to. I don't really mind it now though, and I'm sure it's a really cool interface on a console.

Using magic is just great though, specifically destruction spells. I only have a few at the moment, but I already feel incredibly powerful, shooting jets of flames, or storms of lightning from my hands. It's just great fun, and the fact that I can dual wield two different types, or two of the same for a powerful affect is a cool choice. Never having played a mage type character in an RPG before, I'm really enjoying being one in Skyrim. I can't wait to get more spells.

I'd also like to say that all of the environments so far have felt so varied, even the four or so dungeons I've been in have all be vastly different from each other, they were beautiful, and were all a lot of fun to explore, specifically the Dwemer ruins I cam across. I really just do get lost in this world endless exploring, it's just awesome, all of the stuff you come can come across.

I think the greatest thing is that it seems that the straight, level scaling that plagued Oblivion is gone, it seems to be more like Fallout 3/Vegas was, which I'm fine with. I've ran into one other dragon other than the tutorial one, he slapped my shit pretty hard (playing on hard btw). I'm only level 6 at the moment, heading to The College of Winterwood to hopefully get some new spells, how long will it be till I can actually kill dragons? :P

Really enjoying this so far.

[Last.FM] [Steam ID]

Bros 4 lyfe (he dun did dis sig)

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 07:05:17

I started playing on apprentice because other mages started to kick my ass on the normal difficulty. Of course, dragons are easy enough for me to kill since Shadowmere does all the tanking. I think I've killed around nine so far. What sucks is that only two of them bothered to land 100% of the time so I could start beating them with my 2H, I'm a mage, and one of them didn't land at all! The others are 75% flight 25% land. It's kind of annoying that way.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 07:40:12

Who said their character was going to be called Lars? For one there's a kid called Lars in Whiterun and that's also my Grandfather and Brother's name.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 07:46:03

At 11/13/11 07:40 AM, Snuff wrote: Who said their character was going to be called Lars?

I got pretty creative with my character's name. He's called Dean.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 07:52:42

At 11/13/11 07:46 AM, Dean wrote:
I got pretty creative with my character's name. He's called Dean.

Talk about shunning a man to a life of constant bullying and notgoodenoughism.

:(

I am going to buy this game tomorrow. I have £120 in cash that ideally I should be putting into the bank but I don't NEED to. So yeah.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 08:44:21

Xbox or PS3, gags?

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 09:09:40

At 11/13/11 07:52 AM, Gagsy wrote: Talk about shunning a man to a life of constant bullying and notgoodenoughism.

Yet again, I have fallen victim to Gagsy's bullying :(

But yea, £40 of that £120 is far better off being spent on Skyrim than sitting in a bank, earning £0.01 in interest every 5 years. With Skyrim, you're essentially buying a world in a box. It's worth every penny.

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 09:33:27

At 11/13/11 09:07 AM, Tramps wrote:
At 11/13/11 08:44 AM, Snuff wrote: Xbox or PS3, gags?
Silly Gagsy, they don't have Skyrim for the Wii.

I'm confused as to how I could have made my Sony dedication any clearer besides getting a triangle circle cross and square tattoed on my forehead :(

At 11/13/11 09:09 AM, Dean wrote:
Yet again, I have fallen victim to Gagsy's bullying :(

You're only a victim if you're undeserving :(

But yea, £40 of that £120 is far better off being spent on Skyrim than sitting in a bank, earning £0.01 in interest every 5 years. With Skyrim, you're essentially buying a world in a box. It's worth every penny.

On a game related note, I hate naming characters. I prefer being given a default name. Everytime I pick a name I'm never happy with it. I'd be terrible at naming a child. frowny face

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 10:21:07

Ban in 3... 2...

BBS Signature

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 10:26:05

So I was letting my friend play, and he went up to the top of a mountain to fight a dragon alone at level 6 and proceeded to kill it by hiding behind a tree, popping out and shooting it with arrows, and healing when he needed to. Cheap, but efficient.

By the way, do you start off with the ability to dual wield spells, or is it a perk?

I think i'm gonna accidentally make a habit out of posting stories than end in a question.

Response to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011-11-13 10:27:51

At 11/13/11 10:26 AM, DirtyMeatball wrote: By the way, do you start off with the ability to dual wield spells, or is it a perk?

Pretty sure it's a perk. I haven't used magic much yet, but I'm sure dual wielding spells is one of the first Destruction perks. Probably one for each school of magic though.

BBS Signature