00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Luwano learned a little lot!

13,449 Views | 88 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-11 20:02:03

Hey everyone, this is going to be my personal art thread. Feel free to leave some feedback and although some pics are just sketches or maybe even just for fun, constructive criticism is always appreciated.

On a side note: When I started to visit the art forums there was no drawing skill left in my hands. Anything I could draw as a kid or at school was gone. I have learned everyting I can draw so far from the advice the art forum regulars gave to others, hence the title of my thread. So yeah, thanks to you guys and girls.

Let's start with some simple practice I did with GIMP and my Wacom Bamboo.... a feather!

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-11 20:03:23

that feather looks pretty cool

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-11 20:19:51

At 9/11/10 08:03 PM, Peglay wrote: that feather looks pretty cool

Thanks alot.

Here's another drawing. I once asked for help with it here in the forum and with some advice it resulted in this version. If you want to know how it looked before, you can find it here.

Basically I was practicing the shading of round objects when I started this.

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-11 20:33:11

Smudgy smudgy smudgy.... all done with two colours, brush dynamics of the pen set to "colour" and smudge tool to shape the sitting person. Title "Alone" (I know that's cheesy).

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-11 22:48:02

Ok here comes another one. NecroClock once asked for a new logo (thread), yep a FREE logo, and got flamed accordingly.

I gave it a try even though I know free requests are not very welcome and shouldn't be encouraged, but I have an affinity for interesting usernames. (I also tried to participate in the "Draw the person above you" thread, but I epically failed to draw a man made of ash so I never finished it)

Enough talk here comes the pic:

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-11 23:05:10

Alrgith pictures so far, though you'll want to put more detail into your stuff - what I'm seeing right now is a bare minimum of detail and plain surface of medium-to-dark shading, the kind of stuff that tends to put a sour taste in my mouth.

When you're doing your begginning sketch, why not try to put more detail in it before hand - think about the object, examine it in your mind, and ask yourself "where could I put more detail into it?", you understand?

Other then that, pretty nice pictures so far.

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-12 01:40:28

Let's start with some simple practice I did with GIMP and my Wacom Bamboo.... a feather!

This one is pretty cool, weird, because there is a Bamboo Tablet that I just used to make a user header in Gimp!. But anyways, this is great shading, also your planet lens thing is good too.

Need a Review? Go to Review Request Club

Also please look at my art!

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-12 08:17:43

Thanks for the compliments Joshsouza. Interesting observation Lintire I will try to keep that in mind and work out more details in future pics.

Now for something even less detailed: a doodle. As I said before I have an affinity for interesting or funny nicknames.

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-12 10:14:04

the feather is really great.
A great first post dude.

Current Art Thread some NSFW (2022)

Past Art Thread (2013-2020)

**If you want to learn how to draw Direct Message me! I'm looking to teach people.**

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-12 11:24:19

At 9/12/10 10:14 AM, Spac3case916 wrote: the feather is really great.
A great first post dude.

Thank you.

Here comes another one. I submitted this one to the art portal about two months ago. For your entertainment I will also post the original doodle afterwards. And yes I know it's a bad pun.

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-12 11:27:21

Here comes the original doodle. When the idea came into my mind I quickly sketched it to make sure I don't forget it, that was before I learned anything here. You can see it's been a long way....

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-12 18:42:40

Well, it's pretty quite in here, so why not post another pic. This was my entry for the B-Movie Poster Art contest.

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-13 17:38:38

Here's another doodle. I was messing around with the ink tool in GIMP, therefore the varying line strength.

Some kind of doodly tribute to Doug Savage and his Savage Chickens.

Did I already say, that it's pretty quite in here?

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-13 17:48:18

Looks down at my plate*
What do you see? It's kfc
Back up*
Back at my plate, the kfc is now diamonds.

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-13 17:48:33

At 9/13/10 05:38 PM, Luwano wrote: Here's another doodle. I was messing around with the ink tool in GIMP, therefore the varying line strength.

Some kind of doodly tribute to Doug Savage and his Savage Chickens.

Did I already say, that it's pretty quite in here?

This looks pretty cool and i like it ;)

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-13 17:55:07

Im sorry to say this; but this thread seems to be going in the wrong direction....
Every picture you post seems to be worse than the last one. I would really like you to put more effort in your art. That way poeple can also give criticism that will help you.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-13 18:02:04

At 9/13/10 05:55 PM, J-qb wrote: Im sorry to say this; but this thread seems to be going in the wrong direction....
Every picture you post seems to be worse than the last one. I would really like you to put more effort in your art. That way poeple can also give criticism that will help you.

Well I post em a little out of order. The last ones I finished were those for the Clocktopia Art Gallery. And I don't think there's something wrong with posting doodles inbetween, is it?

Still I see your point, thanks for your feedback.... here's one of those latest pics.

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-09-21 16:58:32

I drew this one on another computer, I logged in on it, so I can finally submit it, too.

This was also done for the clocktopia art gallery. Here's the art portal version.

I was thinking of some different textes for it, like "Ceci n'est pas une horloge", but then decided for "clock" as a term that is not translated, just like a name.

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-12-06 00:34:23

Ok last friday we had a great portal flood and this was my submission. I put some hints on the topic death in it, but nobody seemed to recognize it, or at least didn't see it as a part of the pic that's important enough to mention. Since I didn't post in my thread for quite some time and don't want to take the discussion to the reviews or PM's I thought I should post it here with some explanation.

From the reviews, I know about my "technical" mistakes, the perspective issues and the clouds already. But feel free tell me if you have something new to add to that.

What I want to know is how could I have made my references to death more clear?

First connection to death is the skull face in the moon. I doubt it is hard to see, or is it?

Second are the marks in the sand. "Dear John" refers to "Dear John letters", when women break up with their boyfriend's or husbands and can't deal with telling them personally. The footprints lead to the water and in combination with the "Goodbye" to the boyfriend I wanted to figure her commiting suicide.

Third one is probably the most twisted and I can understand if the reference is not instantly clear. It's the title and the saturated green colour. "Green flashes" are said to appear whenever someone escapes from the land of death, as known from "Pirates of the Caribbean 3" (more info). It usually happens at sundown, but in my pic, it is night just because the "soul" commiting suicide is entering the land of death instead of escaping it. As I said, it's probably a bit far-fetched.

Additionally the whole setup of the pic was supposed to be "from light to dark" aswell as "real to more unreal" both going from foreground to background. With the moon being in the background, but still being bright to stand out and to direct the view to it.

Sorry for the text wall, but I would highly appreciate any comments on this. Maybe I just overdid it with trying to add some points for interpretation.

Thanks in advance!

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2010-12-06 04:03:03

exquisite!

Traditional culture of China|Travel in China

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2011-02-14 22:34:37

Since some thread about minimalism popped up in the forums lately, I remembered a pic I once drew with.... (here it comes).... Facebook Graffiti!

I thought I might just take a screenshot and dump it here.

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2011-02-15 00:30:46

At 2/14/11 10:34 PM, Luwano wrote: Since some thread about minimalism popped up in the forums lately, I remembered a pic I once drew with.... (here it comes).... Facebook Graffiti!

I thought I might just take a screenshot and dump it here.

Lady Zorro?

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2011-02-15 05:21:26

I think that if you put a little more time into your work you could make something really awesome, right now it seems as if you're a little hasty making your drawings ,just take your time, I think you would do a great, or rather, much greater job.

Tick Tock

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2011-04-03 13:17:51

At 2/15/11 12:30 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote:
Lady Zorro?

She will brand the criminals with a scarlett lipstick Z on their chests.

At 2/15/11 05:21 AM, Falonefal wrote: I think that if you put a little more time into your work you could make something really awesome, right now it seems as if you're a little hasty making your drawings ,just take your time, I think you would do a great, or rather, much greater job.

Thanks!

Since I didn't submit my third cupcake collab entry to the art portal I thought I should dump it here. Drawing the wooden table texture for the background was fun.

If you look closely, you should find a perspective issue.

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2011-05-12 13:10:49

Time to bump my art thread again. Regarding my latest (and most late) flood pic I asked myself if I added too much of that sepia tone.

Here are:
1) My original drawing with red bricks (for the lulz)
2) The recoloured version with a low saturated brown
3) The version with the sepia tone (too much?)

What do you think?

The brick wall was fun to draw. l did not use a texture to make it look like stone, but instead set pen dynamics "random" to colour and size and used a soft brush in GIMP ("Circle Fuzzy"). I kinda like how that worked out.

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2011-05-12 13:19:37

At 5/12/11 01:10 PM, Luwano wrote: Time to bump my art thread again. Regarding my latest (and most late) flood pic I asked myself if I added too much of that sepia tone.

I like the middle one the most. And looking back through this thread, you've improved a lot in less than a year.

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2011-05-12 13:44:26

At 5/12/11 01:19 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
I like the middle one the most.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess that means I should have used a little less sepia to end up closer to the middle version.

And looking back through this thread, you've improved a lot in less than a year.

Thanks! All improvement is owed to the art forum regs.

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2011-05-12 14:07:04

In other news, I got myself a small sketchbook and a medium (HB - 2 1/2) pencil. Let's say I want to sketch while I'm "on the go" and only want to take one pencil with me, is that the right choice?

All I managed to draw so far are some basic pencil practices. But I hope this will help me with my usual digital drawings someday, too.

I pasted the third item closer to the first two so I don't have to post two pics.

Sorry for the dark pic

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2011-05-15 12:42:10

To those who don't know yet.... I like them feathers....

BBS Signature

Response to Luwano learned a little lot! 2011-05-15 13:02:27

At 5/12/11 02:07 PM, Luwano wrote: In other news, I got myself a small sketchbook and a medium (HB - 2 1/2) pencil. Let's say I want to sketch while I'm "on the go" and only want to take one pencil with me, is that the right choice?

I personally use a .7 mechanical pencil. Just make sure you have a few sticks of lead inside. But they are usually more dependable than a normal pencil, since the point can break or dull. Especially if you're sketching, where fine detail won't be the goal. Then again, I use mechanical pencils for everything, so I am quite fond of them.
If you do choose to use normal pencils, I would advise bringing along a few extras, or a pencil sharpener. Also, don't forget an eraser (I use a cap eraser that I just stick on the end of my pencil, but a kneaded one is prolly the best).
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~!!!