Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Art Lover
Feedback on lens flare and more plz 2010-06-20 18:52:44 Reply

Hi everyone, I'd like some feedback on one of my first original drawings.

I didn't want to challenge myself too much, so I decided to go with an easy space scene.

Here are my problems/questions:

Something's wrong with my lens flare, but I can't tell what exactly.

I used the smudge tool around the planet to create some kind of glow around it, but not steady to make it look just a little bit turbulent. Friends told me it looks strange, what do you say?

Should I make it all perfectly round and clean? I like that handdrawn look, but like that it can't compete with similar space pics. Most likely it can't compete eitherway, so why not keep it like that? What do you think?

Any other suggestions?

I'm aware that it is pretty simple, but it's my second try with a handdrawn picture.

I used GIMP (stop that eye rolling :P) and a Wacom Bamboo. Drew the planet and the background with brush tool and set brush dynamics to "color" with a lighter and darker color for both, to get that "painting-like" look.

And yes I'm a nooooob, so please don't overcharge me.

Thanks in advance!

Feedback on lens flare and more plz

BBS Signature
koolest666
koolest666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Feedback on lens flare and more plz 2010-06-20 19:26:31 Reply

Pretty bloody sexy.

You see, voice acting, it's like a wife or girlfriend. You do it enough and you are used to it.

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to Feedback on lens flare and more plz 2010-06-20 19:36:47 Reply

Thanks man! ;)

I'm sorry I forgot about the upload size rule "Maximum upload size is 200k, with a maximum width of 595 pixels and maximum height of 700 pixels" and I can't edit or delete the post. I hope this won't get me in trouble.

Or is there someway to correct my mistake?

BBS Signature
R3CON-A55A551N
R3CON-A55A551N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Feedback on lens flare and more plz 2010-06-20 20:19:47 Reply

The lens flare does look a little off...Cant place my finger on why though maybe just not right on where the light would cause a lens flare? Idk.

Ryajin-Geki
Ryajin-Geki
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Feedback on lens flare and more plz 2010-06-20 21:00:09 Reply

I like how it looks. I have never used a flare lens though. I don't use it cause my instructor said people who can't make their own glow effect are lazy. Have you tried doing it yourself before using the tool?

Please don't take that the wrong way I am not calling you lazy at all.

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to Feedback on lens flare and more plz 2010-06-20 21:07:05 Reply

@R3CON-A55A551N: That's exactly how I feel, something is wrong but I don't know what.

@Ryajin-Geki: Well actually I didn't use a lens flare tool. And that's my problem. :P

I drew the lens flare myself with big squared brushes I added to GIMP and the eraser, to create those circles.

Or do you think I should use one of the preset lens flares and call it a day?

I'm not sure what you actually mean.... :P

BBS Signature
R3CON-A55A551N
R3CON-A55A551N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Feedback on lens flare and more plz 2010-06-20 21:26:55 Reply

Actually after looking at the picture again maybe it doesn't need a lens flare at all. It almost has that sort of pastel/smeary paint look to it and lens flare is more realistic looking. Maybe take it out and just add in a moon or other planets to fill up some negative space? I'll let you decide that.

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to Feedback on lens flare and more plz 2010-06-20 21:32:29 Reply

At 6/20/10 09:26 PM, R3CON-A55A551N wrote: Actually after looking at the picture again maybe it doesn't need a lens flare at all. It almost has that sort of pastel/smeary paint look to it and lens flare is more realistic looking. Maybe take it out and just add in a moon or other planets to fill up some negative space? I'll let you decide that.

That's an interesting idea, never thought about that. I'll definitely try and make another version, but I'll think of something so it doesn't get too simple. Thank you.

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to Feedback on lens flare and more plz 2010-06-20 22:54:25 Reply

What about my other questions/problems? Just in case somebody thought "Thank you!" means I'm fine now. I'm still epectant on the other issues.

At 6/20/10 06:52 PM, Luwano wrote:
I used the smudge tool around the planet to create some kind of glow around it, but not steady to make it look just a little bit turbulent. Friends told me it looks strange, what do you say?

Should I make it all perfectly round and clean? I like that handdrawn look, but like that it can't compete with similar space pics. Most likely it can't compete eitherway, so why not keep it like that? What do you think?

Any other suggestions?

BBS Signature
R3CON-A55A551N
R3CON-A55A551N
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Feedback on lens flare and more plz 2010-06-20 23:15:24 Reply

Idk the light blue sort of makes it look out of place kinda makes the background look sloppy and rushed. try cleaning it up a bit and see what happens.

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to Feedback on lens flare and more plz 2010-06-21 07:55:48 Reply

Oh I was stupid enough to draw the "stars" right on the blue background, so I will have to redo them too. Luckily they ain't hard to do.

Anyway thanks for your advice, I'll try that. :)
Initially I did that light blue area on purpose, but I agree that it does look unusual the way it is.

I tried if a little darker tint could do part of the job and I made the planet "rounder".

So I'd be very happy if you take a look at this new version too.

(This time I even remembered to resize it according to the rules xD)

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Feedback on lens flare and more plz 2010-06-21 08:11:25 Reply

At 6/20/10 06:52 PM, Luwano wrote: Something's wrong with my lens flare, but I can't tell what exactly.

Check a reference.

I've got a feeling that the axis of the lens flare should be radial, and going through the centre of the planet, since the planet is partially shading the light from the sun to the "camera".

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 38
Art Lover
Response to Feedback on lens flare and more plz 2010-06-21 08:32:50 Reply

Thanks a lot. Actually when I drew the lans flare I created it along a line, but then thought the flecks are to far away from each other.

Below I added my original lens flare on the revamped planet, to show you what I mean. What do you think about it?

I will search a different reference too with a partially covered planet to get an idea. But thank you for providing the picture that will surely help. And the advice of using a reference at all is of course helpful. (Once more my noobship was revealed xD)

BBS Signature