00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ShadowTheHaxGod just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Icon Mod Crew

284,329 Views | 3,351 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-29 22:04:19

At 8/29/10 10:02 PM, ThePigeonMaster wrote: And nobody know, maybe one day somebody would thank you by doing a good job as an icon mod. Maybe not right now, maybe not tomorrow, and if you don't even get thanked by somebody else, when you see the redesign here, will make you feel a lot better and even more kickass rather than getting a PM, trust me.

I'm sure that the redesign itself will inspire me and make me happy. I honestly don't care if I lose my Icon Mod status, I will stay loyal to the site and everyone I know here, Mod or Not.

[Report Rule-Breaking Portal Submissions] - [Game & Movie Portal Moderator]

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-29 22:04:47

At 8/29/10 08:34 PM, ColecoVision wrote:
At 8/29/10 08:26 PM, Domo wrote: Also whats with rev's aura?
My thought was that Tom would give us a special aura after the redesign to show that we helped.

He became a review mod.

At 8/29/10 09:53 PM, Sectus wrote: Perhaps you receive messages like this on a regular basis, but some of us are not lucky enough to have such a boost our positions.

Do you really need to have gratification like that just to enjoy your job? You volunteered to manually change icons for Newgrounds. You weren't hired to do it. Of all the icons I've done, I've only had one user thank me, because he was the only one who noticed, and figured out it was me. You should simply be glad you're helping a great site become greater.

We should get Auz and Bahamut to lay down some ground rules. :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-29 22:16:23

At 8/29/10 10:04 PM, thenewbies wrote: Do you really need to have gratification like that just to enjoy your job? You volunteered to manually change icons for Newgrounds. You weren't hired to do it. Of all the icons I've done, I've only had one user thank me, because he was the only one who noticed, and figured out it was me. You should simply be glad you're helping a great site become greater.

Exactly. The reward were getting out of this is the redesign. That is the main thing is making NG more awesome! We don't need gold aura or to keep are modships. And this type of conversation has been going on for a while and it needs to stop. es we are being used but after were all done just imagine how you will feel for making all those icons.

We should get Auz and Bahamut to lay down some ground rules. :P

Oh yes agreed. Since we got 2 bbs mods who are also icon mods they need to create some rules and guide lines for this crew since the conversations have been about gold aura and getting demodded. Hopefully they'll see these post and realize thats what we need to do cause this was mostly to talk about icons and issues with them not a big chat room. I may be going a little overboard about this cause we still do put in a daily bit of icon stuff. But we need a new topic.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-29 22:20:15

At 8/29/10 10:16 PM, Domo wrote: Oh yes agreed. Since we got 2 bbs mods who are also icon mods they need to create some rules and guide lines for this crew since the conversations have been about gold aura and getting demodded. Hopefully they'll see these post and realize thats what we need to do cause this was mostly to talk about icons and issues with them not a big chat room. I may be going a little overboard about this cause we still do put in a daily bit of icon stuff. But we need a new topic.

We should not need someone to guide us on how to avoid discussing a certain issue. It's simple, just do not discuss it and there will be no issue.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-29 22:50:26

At 8/29/10 10:31 PM, Rabid-Animals wrote: NEW TOPIC:

GIF VS JPEG VS PNG

I demand a 300 word essay on the relative merits and disadvantages of each format. Proper grammar is required. You'll be turning it in before your fourth period class tomorrow.

End of discussion.

GIF: Low Filesize, (If done correctly) good quality, all around best format to choose.

JPEG: Oh shit, what are you doing?

PNG: Elitist PNG looser, taking up NG space with your XBOX HUEG filesizes.

Remember people, Save For Web & Devices

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-29 22:53:48

At 8/29/10 10:31 PM, Rabid-Animals wrote: NEW TOPIC:

GIF VS JPEG VS PNG

I demand a 300 word essay on the relative merits and disadvantages of each format. Proper grammar is required. You'll be turning it in before your fourth period class tomorrow.

End of discussion.

GIF
GIF stands for Graphics Interchange Format. Which is most popularly used for a website titled newgrounds.com. Which they use it as for an icon with the dimensions of 46x46 pixels for there userpage icon which they can see when they make a news post or leave a review for a flash. It may also be used as an icon for there flash entry which is designed to get users to click on it. But NO moving animations are allowed except for EJR which he made a moving animation and no one knows how it works. But with the redesign coming the gif icons will become obsolete by the 140x90 pixel icons which can have a file of either gif,jpg,png,bmp,etc...

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-29 23:10:40

If you insist. Get ready to tl;dr.

png, the portable network graphics file format, is a lossless image format, meaning it does not change the colours of the pixels when it is saved. Among other features is full support for 24-bit colour, meaning nearly all colours can be displayed. There are 8 bits of transparency, meaning there are 256 possible shades of transparency, ranging from nearly invisible to almost opaque.

Due to its losslessness and excellent transparency support, png is the most suitable file format for simple digital illustrations. It is the most efficient at handling simple patterns and colours found in such drawings, and thanks to the transparency, png graphics are very flexible, and will blend in with the site it is displayed on. Thus, the file size will be small.

jpg, the joint photographic experts group, also known as jpeg, jpe, jfif, and multiple other obscure file suffixes, is a lossy image format. This means that pixels will not be the exact colour they're supposed to be. For example, if one puts a red fill bucket in MS Paint and saves it as jpg, most pixels will subtly change their colours and are no longer pure red. Like png, jpg supports 24-bit colour. However, it lacks the ability to display transparent areas.

These properties make photos suitable to be saved in jpg. Since photos contain profusely large amounts of different colours, ranging from light skin tone to dark skin tone, to soft shadows, to bright colours and whatnot, the lossyness of jpg is not noticeable, whereas in a simple illustration, "crusty" colours will be noticeable. Since jpg saves photos efficiently, photos saved in jpg will have small file sizes, but drawings will have inflated file sizes.

gif, the last of the trio, stands for graphics interchange format. Like png, gif is lossless, so it avoids the "crusty" edges jpg possesses. However, gif only supports 8 bits of colour, meaning unlike the many millions png can display, gif is limited to 256. Due to the limited palette, many colours will be changed. Another downside from png is the even more limited transparency, which is limited to 1 bit. This means a pixel in a gif must either be fully invisible or completely opaque. One upside, though, is its support for animation. Some websites are even dedicated to hosting gif animations. This can sometimes result in a mixed blessing, as an especially long animation will make the gif huge and laggy.

Technically, png was intended to be the successor to gif, but png's lack of animation meant gif was still well respected on the internet. Like png, gif was supposed to handle digital illustrations well, albeit with a limited palette. Its lack of colours may lead to massive loss of quality, and huge increase in file size.

Since Flash, especially on Newgrounds, has higher focus on simplistic, cartoony, hand-drawn graphics, and not realistic graphics like a Pixar movie, jpg is out of the question. png and gif's effective illustration saving make these two the best choices. Furthermore, png is then superior to gif, due to its high amount of colours compared to gif. The difficulty of making animated icons further proves gif to be an impractical file format.

In conclusion, png is the most suitable file format.

24 minutes of writing, words: 543, "Characters remaining: 4,961"
Flesch-Kincaid grade level: 8.7

Bibliography
Portable Network Graphics
, Wikipedia
Joint Photographic Experts Group, Wikipedia
Graphics Interchange Format, Wikipedia
Experimentation and original research

though i could have taken you too seriously.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-29 23:16:19

I also believe that I should get extra credit for my 243 extra words. Kevin gets a 0 for not meeting the criteria, and Domo gets a C for an incomplete essay.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 07:57:28

At 8/29/10 11:24 PM, EJR wrote: I use PNG and upload screenshots this big because I am cool.

...You still have to save and crop it. I hardly see how it makes your job easier.

In Photoshop, I just set the canvas size to 140x90 and paste in the screenshots I took of submissions. I can press CTRL+T to resize it from there, and I'm all set.

PNG vs. GIF vs. JPEG
I was going to do exactly what thenewbies did but he beat me to it. But yeah, PNG is the most suitable format for icons and other images alike.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 08:17:34

At 8/29/10 11:24 PM, EJR wrote: I use PNG and upload screenshots this big because I am cool.

Yeah, I do pretty much the same except I take a screenshot of the entire desktop. I've always wondered if that takes up more space on NG or not. Am I wrong for doing this?

The Icon Mod Crew

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 09:24:11

I'm surprised how some of you can't view the SS' icons. I remember having that problem at first but it eventually worked better and now I can view it with ease.

On the subject of the fate of the icon mods, I think we've speculated enough and should focus more on what's happening now rather than what will happen to us. That time spent speculating on the future should be spent on making icons instead. ;) So yeah, please avoid bringing this topic back up. It's already been discussed several times in this thread.

One last thing, anyone who's making less icons than I am right now are slackers. :P

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 09:50:19

I set PrintScreen to take a screenshot of the active window. The window is usually unmaximized. I submit it and crop it at the submission page. Before I was modded, I used GIMP, but the submit page is easier for me.

At 8/30/10 08:17 AM, 14hourlunchbreak wrote: Yeah, I do pretty much the same except I take a screenshot of the entire desktop. I've always wondered if that takes up more space on NG or not. Am I wrong for doing this?

When you submit it to NG, it's marked as temporary, so when you crop it, it saves that thumbnail and gets rid of the original after a while. You're not doing anything wrong, you just take bigger screenshots.

At 8/30/10 09:24 AM, Bahamut wrote: I'm surprised how some of you can't view the SS' icons. I remember having that problem at first but it eventually worked better and now I can view it with ease.

It took me three tries to see it. The first two times, it refused to load, and on the third try, I spammed F5 until it did load.

On the subject of the fate of the icon mods, I think we've speculated enough and should focus more on what's happening now rather than what will happen to us. So yeah, please avoid bringing this topic back up.

BAN THEM. >:U

One last thing, anyone who's making less icons than I am right now are slackers. :P

:(

The Icon Mod Crew

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 16:03:08

At 8/30/10 08:17 AM, 14hourlunchbreak wrote:
Yeah, I do pretty much the same except I take a screenshot of the entire desktop. I've always wondered if that takes up more space on NG or not. Am I wrong for doing this?

So do I. This is what my desktop looks like when I'm making icons.

The Icon Mod Crew

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 17:57:08

You guys are disgusting. I organize my icons.

The Icon Mod Crew

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 18:07:34

At 8/30/10 09:50 AM, thenewbies wrote:
At 8/30/10 09:24 AM, Bahamut wrote: I'm surprised how some of you can't view the SS' icons. I remember having that problem at first but it eventually worked better and now I can view it with ease.
It took me three tries to see it. The first two times, it refused to load, and on the third try, I spammed F5 until it did load.

Once I get through them, you shouldn't have to worry about viewing their icons, unless you want to admire the work I did on most of their icons. :P

(

Hey Slacker! Wake up! We got people standing here in line; you're sitting there daydreaming.

Also, my "organised" icons. I just have it all in one folder so I can quickly count how many icons I've made so far as well as not having to wade through the folders to get the desired artist.

The Icon Mod Crew

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 18:27:34

At 8/30/10 05:57 PM, Archawn wrote: You guys are disgusting. I organize my icons.

Ew, loser noob, who does that?

When I make icons, I set my screenshot app to number them and put them on my desktop. When I'm done the user, I count up the icons, update my list, and dump them into the trash.

i emptied it a two weeks ago.

The Icon Mod Crew

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 19:40:15

Believe it or not, my blog is not just for keeping on track of the icons I've made. It also helps me to count them and how to recognize the one that I want to upload.

I do these steps each time I do my icon modding:

The Icon Mod Crew

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 19:50:03

At 8/30/10 07:40 PM, ThePigeonMaster wrote: I do these steps each time I do my icon modding:

Damn, it screwed up. Let's see if this one works.

The Icon Mod Crew

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 20:28:42

Hmm. I'm not sure about you guys, but the process I use for all of the Icons I do is this:

-Select user from Icon Mod website.
-Pick a flash that has no Icon.
-Take screenshot.
-Open paint and click "Paste" to send the picture into the page.
-Save it as Icon #Number
-Click the browse button when making the Icon.
-Pick the Icon from the pictures file, and submit it to the flash.

It seems pretty fast and efficient, and it's always worked for me.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 20:41:05

We seem to be highly fascinated by how we create our icons. This sounds so lame compared to other clubs.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 21:06:33

At 8/30/10 08:41 PM, thenewbies wrote: We seem to be highly fascinated by how we create our icons. This sounds so lame compared to other clubs.

We are obviously the best.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 21:09:10

At 8/30/10 08:41 PM, thenewbies wrote: We seem to be highly fascinated by how we create our icons. This sounds so lame compared to other clubs.

Well, I find it quite interesting. It's a great way to get ideas and share faster ways of putting the icons onto the flashes with the other Mods. I believe that someone once said that a nation strives on communication, so that implies here, as well.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 21:26:18

What I usually do is pick a user who need icons, create a folder for them and another folder inside to hold the png, if I ever need to re-export it, and make and save the gif or jpeg. I do this whether or not if the author has 1 icon needed or 100 just to keep track.

Boring WinXp FTW. :)

The Icon Mod Crew

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 21:35:56

At 8/30/10 07:40 PM, ThePigeonMaster wrote: Believe it or not, my blog is not just for keeping on track of the icons I've made. It also helps me to count them and how to recognize the one that I want to upload.

I also have a long list of all the users I've made icons for, but I still don't understand why you name them as you do. Separating them by user and naming them by submission title allows me to find exactly the icon I'm looking for if the need arises for me to look back at my previous work.

I use Windows 7's handy "item count" at the bottom of Explorer to count them anyway. It also allows me to see the number of users I've done, as I can read the "item count" of the parent directory holding each user's folder.

I find everyone else's methods to be fascinating, yet I would never partake in your odd habits...

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 21:45:07

Look what the kid in this thread thinks of us!

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 21:53:58

At 8/30/10 09:45 PM, ColecoVision wrote: Look what the kid in this thread thinks of us!

I assume you were referring to "Sasoriuchiha72" correct? But either way, he's just either jealous of our abilities, or he's just trying to get a rise out of us by it. Really the only thing that comment deserves is to be ignored, he has no idea what kind of help we are to the site, so pay no mind to him.

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 21:57:55

I don't know why you guys would go through all that trouble.
On my mac, i just take a screenshot with command+shift+4 at a fitting moment, and just upload dat shit.

Proud supporter of Asian prostitutes in need.

PSN ID:Peegler

Steam ID:Donut

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 22:09:24

At 8/30/10 09:26 PM, reverend wrote: What I usually do is pick a user who need icons, create a folder for them and another folder inside to hold the png, if I ever need to re-export it, and make and save the gif or jpeg. I do this whether or not if the author has 1 icon needed or 100 just to keep track.

Boring WinXp FTW. :)

Whoa, that is such a mess! That's why I don't keep track of the users I make icons for :)

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 22:45:02

At 8/30/10 09:26 PM, reverend wrote: Boring WinXp FTW. :)

I'll never update my desktop computer to Windows 7. I'm happy with the good old XP.
Also, lol, 123bee.

At 8/30/10 09:45 PM, ColecoVision wrote: Look what the kid in this thread thinks of us!

When you said "Kid", I thought it was actually the user Kid, the BBS mod.
But meh, It's a troll and you bit his bait by just posting there.

NOM NOM NOM

Same with you, Sectus, Dew is just playing with you, and even if he's being honest you shouldn't have replied his post. If he fails at seeing the importance of icon mods it's his own business ;)
I know it since I've seen Dew plenty of times in the BBS and he likes to troll.

Unless it's a respected user making an obvious joke, or not a troll, we shouldn't reply to those annoying users.

It's just a recommendation because you may get banned by posting in spam threads.

At 8/30/10 09:35 PM, Archawn wrote: I also have a long list of all the users I've made icons for, but I still don't understand why you name them as you do. Separating them by user and naming them by submission title allows me to find exactly the icon I'm looking for if the need arises for me to look back at my previous work.

That's because I follow an order. Let's say I find a user that has like 20 icons. I create and upload the icons 1 by 1 and when I'm done, I update my blog.

As you may see, I don't do multiple users at the same times. I just focus in that one until I finish it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Icon Mod Crew 2010-08-30 22:56:47

At 8/30/10 08:17 AM, 14hourlunchbreak wrote:

Thats what I do. I take a screen shot of the whole screen and use the icon mod crop tool. Its a lot faster instead of going in to photoshop and cropping it down. You do get a better out come of the icon when you do that though.

BBS Signature