00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Almost-Ichabod just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

[Winners] Violent Encounter

2,795 Views | 20 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

[Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-10-31 10:29:19

Alright.
Happy Halloween, and all that.

First Place was really tricky on account of there was quite a few kickass submissions that deserved it. In the end we went with TheRealShadman. He tore it up with the details but still added plenty of atmosphere and humor.

1st TheRealShadman
2nd jagondudo
3rd Nekow
4th jouste
5th RobLovelett

congrats to all the winners again, and see you next contest.

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-10-31 10:35:41

Gud

No mate, no.

BBS Signature

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-10-31 11:06:30

Awesome job winners! They all look great!

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-10-31 11:28:54

Congratulations to the winners, you guys all did awesome.

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-10-31 11:49:32

Kudos to the winners, ya'll did a great job. Happy Halloween.

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet

Art Page|Art Thread|Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-10-31 14:30:33

I thought my awesome baby face painting would have taken at least 2nd place (with all the detail and everything). Guess I'm just too greedy :D
congrats to the other winners!

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-10-31 14:48:55

Damn these are too awesome lol congrats you guys : )

BBS Signature

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-10-31 18:12:04

congrats to the winners! btw how close was I to winning?

Animation | Games | Art | Sprites | My Deviantart | Music | My Userpage

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-10-31 19:37:37

I regret not making something for this, but big ups and congrats to those who won!

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-10-31 22:50:40

Really nice submissions! Congrats to all the winners!

BBS Signature

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-10-31 22:57:28

Haha I knew Shadman was gonna win, I was kinda rooting for Dommi-Fresh too, I'm sad he didn't place, but awesome nonetheless.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-10-31 23:29:53

Shit! I got it in my head the deadline was tonight. Might as well take my time finishing.

Well, congrats winners. There were some really good entries. Competition was fierce for this one.

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-11-01 01:30:23

Congrats everyone (claps*). . .

NDC: 2011 ~ Twitter ~ Artwork ~ ©JKA

BBS Signature

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-11-01 02:45:36

Lol Luis didn't win. Happy for the winners.

God has the mercy.

BBS Signature

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-11-01 03:08:01

So I know the contest is over, but can I get a critique before this goes out of sketch and up to submission?

I'm actually pretty happy with it.

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-11-01 13:01:44

At 11/1/09 03:08 AM, Occluded wrote: So I know the contest is over, but can I get a critique before this goes out of sketch and up to submission?

I'm actually pretty happy with it.

i like the drama in yours occluded but your characters relating to one another looks very flat. i think its because of all the blue glowing highlights you used. also your lighting is a bit weird. your main light seems to be the moon? then shadows should be cast by the window on the guy and the guy's shadow should cast on the fish man. it makes it look like there's another bright light source inside with the same color as the moon eliminating all shadows [which is a bit hard to do unless there's more than one light source]. if there still IS such a light source inside then if it cast a different color of light would help with contrast.
the depth from moon to trees to window to the man is good where you lose it is from the man to the fishman. the light is messing it up.
your anatomy has really improved and choice of colors are really nice too. i like the the design on the fishman's head. the texture on him gets a bit repetitive tho [shoulder area].

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-11-01 22:32:03

At 11/1/09 01:01 PM, jagondudo wrote: i like the drama in yours occluded but your characters relating to one another looks very flat. i think its because of all the blue glowing highlights you used. also your lighting is a bit weird. your main light seems to be the moon? then shadows should be cast by the window on the guy and the guy's shadow should cast on the fish man. it makes it look like there's another bright light source inside with the same color as the moon eliminating all shadows [which is a bit hard to do unless there's more than one light source]. if there still IS such a light source inside then if it cast a different color of light would help with contrast.
the depth from moon to trees to window to the man is good where you lose it is from the man to the fishman. the light is messing it up.
your anatomy has really improved and choice of colors are really nice too. i like the the design on the fishman's head. the texture on him gets a bit repetitive tho [shoulder area].

Thanks for the outside eyes man. I reworked it. Pumped up the light and pushed the hue of the light a little more. The idea behind the lighting is the primary light (cool & bluish) coming from the moon through the window. You can see the the shadow of the + shape in the middle of the window run over our hero's abs. There's also a reflected light coming from the fish-man's scales; bathing our hero in a golden light from below, and casting a little light all the way to the wall under the window. A third unidentified light source is lighting fish-mans face from the front.

It may look at first like I just upped the contrast. But I didn't. I went back in and painted over the top. If it looks no different try refreshing. I'm not sure I'm seeing the shoulder the way you are. I'm not saying you're wrong. I just don't see it.

If you got time to look at the update, I'd love to get your thoughts.

Thanks for the thoughtful critique.

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-11-01 22:47:13

I knew Shad's would win.

View my Deviantart

BBS Signature

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-11-03 22:26:47

Woah thanks mate, really kinda made my day here, means alot to me.

BBS Signature

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-11-03 22:30:44

Congrats and Great Job Winners.....I'll see ya at the next contest...and I'll make sure to bring my "good news"! Peace Yo!

A MIND THAT SPARKS CREATIVITY!

BBS Signature

Response to [Winners] Violent Encounter 2009-11-07 03:32:23

great choice for top 5!... always next time :P...

BBS Signature