00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

ashmans attempts at art

41,876 Views | 586 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-05 10:34:34

more work dump

ashmans attempts at art

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-05 16:03:56

Ashman, I am fucking jealous of your progress, I will never be able to draw that good :o

Tick Tock

BBS Signature

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-05 16:28:38

At 12/5/10 04:03 PM, Falonefal wrote: Ashman, I am fucking jealous of your progress, I will never be able to draw that good :o

sure you will, i look back at when i first joined this forum and i was useless, if i can do it you sure can

anyway more creature dump

ashmans attempts at art

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-08 13:00:48

iv already posted it on DA but the art portal wont let me submit it, and i dont wanna submit it to cow without the link, so i may aswell bump this relic thread for some crits

ashmans attempts at art

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-08 13:40:03

I keep being surprised at how good you have gotten :P
Nice bump

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-17 15:49:33

i gone done something, err it was a test in photoshop lineart that evolved

art portal

happy err......something knocturne i dunno

ashmans attempts at art

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-19 23:35:59

ART DUMP

i mean, archiving of art iv got done lately >.>

aliens

ashmans attempts at art

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-19 23:37:03

moar aliens

ashmans attempts at art

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-19 23:38:04

moar aliens.....i mean pokeymanz

thats all for now kids, stay tuned for more

ashmans attempts at art

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 00:02:15

trying a new brush setup, thoughts guys? comments and crits are always welcome ya know :3

ashmans attempts at art

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 04:31:39

At 12/22/10 12:02 AM, Ashman wrote: trying a new brush setup, thoughts guys? comments and crits are always welcome ya know :3

darn boy you make me want to change my vote for most improved back to you...NAOW GET RID OF THOSE SKETCH LINES!

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 04:33:19

also: NOSTRILS!

BBS Signature

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 06:12:33

At 12/22/10 04:31 AM, J-qb wrote:
At 12/22/10 12:02 AM, Ashman wrote: trying a new brush setup, thoughts guys? comments and crits are always welcome ya know :3
darn boy you make me want to change my vote for most improved back to you...NAOW GET RID OF THOSE SKETCH LINES!

if i has a more precise tablet i could do the lineart clean and paint it fine, and not the blocky lineart i mean this lineart i use for painting, but my tablets too.......crap to manage that, so sketchy will have to do until i acquire some serious cash

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 06:17:15

At 12/22/10 06:12 AM, Ashman wrote: if i has a more precise tablet i could do the lineart clean and paint it fine, and not the blocky lineart i mean this lineart i use for painting, but my tablets too.......crap to manage that, so sketchy will have to do until i acquire some serious cash

dont use lineart!

BBS Signature

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 12:17:15

At 12/22/10 06:17 AM, J-qb wrote:
At 12/22/10 06:12 AM, Ashman wrote: if i has a more precise tablet i could do the lineart clean and paint it fine, and not the blocky lineart i mean this lineart i use for painting, but my tablets too.......crap to manage that, so sketchy will have to do until i acquire some serious cash
dont use lineart!

i cant do this without lineart of some sort, it has to be there as a guideline, even if it is barely visible

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 12:35:30

At 12/22/10 12:17 PM, Ashman wrote: i cant do this without lineart of some sort, it has to be there as a guideline, even if it is barely visible

Well, delete the lineart layer afterwards then.

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 12:44:15

At 12/22/10 12:35 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 12/22/10 12:17 PM, Ashman wrote: i cant do this without lineart of some sort, it has to be there as a guideline, even if it is barely visible
Well, delete the lineart layer afterwards then.

it doesnt work like that, looks really wierd and like total crap if you do that, i usually turn down the opacity on the lines a little to make em stand out less

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 12:44:24

At 12/22/10 12:17 PM, Ashman wrote:
At 12/22/10 06:17 AM, J-qb wrote:
dont use lineart!
i cant do this without lineart of some sort, it has to be there as a guideline, even if it is barely visible

Well of course you've got see what your objective's features are before going into the painting . Without it'd would look pretty sloppy and off unless you've got a photographic memory.
Do you ever use the 2 measuring bars for height and length as guidance when you open up Gimp?

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 12:48:18

At 12/22/10 12:44 PM, argile wrote: Do you ever use the 2 measuring bars for height and length as guidance when you open up Gimp?

i dont use gimp so i have no idea what you mean

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 12:50:55

At 12/22/10 12:44 PM, Ashman wrote: it doesnt work like that, looks really wierd and like total crap if you do that, i usually turn down the opacity on the lines a little to make em stand out less

Then just clear out all the messy out of place lines, cause it really detracts from such a great piece.

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 12:52:25

At 12/22/10 12:48 PM, Ashman wrote:
At 12/22/10 12:44 PM, argile wrote: Do you ever use the 2 measuring bars for height and length as guidance when you open up Gimp?
i dont use gimp so i have no idea what you mean

Ah than you must be using photoshop? I'm don't know the difference between them but I'm refering to this scale here.

ashmans attempts at art

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 12:53:24

At 12/22/10 12:50 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 12/22/10 12:44 PM, Ashman wrote: it doesnt work like that, looks really wierd and like total crap if you do that, i usually turn down the opacity on the lines a little to make em stand out less
Then just clear out all the messy out of place lines, cause it really detracts from such a great piece.

sure, that i can do and try to most of the time, sometimes i just cant be bothered, im sure you know the feeling jonny :P

you wont be happy with the next few bits of art then.....XD

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 12:56:05

At 12/22/10 12:52 PM, argile wrote: Ah than you must be using photoshop? I'm don't know the difference between them but I'm refering to this scale here.

double post :P, no, i dont use those, i dont even have them turned on, they take up valuable space and i never use them so i guess i switched em off, why what help would they be?

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 12:56:21

Do you mean that when you color under the lines and then hide the lineart layer, the color is kinds blotchy on the outside and not smooth like you want it to be?
If thats the case just go over with a brush to paintwhere the line was and use the eraser occasionally to smooth out the edge.
(I'm sorry if I had the time I would make you a little diagram.)

Or why don't you, when you are finished with your painting, you change the lineart color to match the color you painted with?

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2010-12-22 13:20:19

At 12/22/10 12:53 PM, Ashman wrote: sure, that i can do and try to most of the time, sometimes i just cant be bothered, im sure you know the feeling jonny :P

I don't normally do art, but when I do, I clean my line art.

Dos Equis reference anyone?

Besides, how can you not be bothered into cleaning up just some minor detail after putting so much time and effort into the rest of it? Cleaning the line art would take mere minutes.

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2011-01-01 06:35:57

just a rough quicky or something, i aint drawn for a while, didnt want to get rusty

sssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssssssss

ashmans attempts at art

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2011-01-01 15:58:57

At 1/1/11 06:35 AM, Ashman wrote: just a rough quicky or something, i aint drawn for a while, didnt want to get rusty

Nice....
I haven't sketched in days.... I feel the gears already locking up... :'(

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2011-01-01 17:52:51

Woah, I've never looked through this thread before, so I'm just discovering now what serious improvement has occurred here in just over a year. Kudos.

At 1/1/11 06:35 AM, Ashman wrote: just a rough quicky or something, i aint drawn for a while, didnt want to get rusty

I know this is just a rough sketch, but I figured I would point out anyway that it could use some more tonal diversity for the shadows. Blue or purple would be nice, but you could also work pink or brownish-red in there with some effort. But regardless, whatever color you chose will give it more depth and life. In general, having too much of the same tone--especially when your shading is just different shades of exactly or almost exactly the same color--tends to make things look flat. It'll also help get rid of some of the excess of negative space that you have there in the background that I don't think is working for the composition.

Same issue here. Too much of the same tone. Also, the highlights on the neck don't seem to be in accordance with the direction of light. The light on them seems to be coming mostly from the front while the highlights on the face indicate that it's coming more from the left.

I have one suggestion that isn't critical but may be an improvement. It might be interesting if you--since the name has that bright glow effect--made your name be the source of light. Make the shading high contrast and change the direction so that it looks like the character is reflecting the light of the name. Just a suggestion.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2011-01-01 18:46:39

Great ashman. Even though it's a sketch in really looks good and surreal. Great job buddy.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to ashmans attempts at art 2011-01-04 07:57:18

quick sketchup, messed up the right guys eye, and the left guy looks boring

used sai for once

ashmans attempts at art