00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

spiritgarden just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sentinels: Operation Leviathan

12,379 Views | 100 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 04:15:09

SENTINELS: OPERATION LEVIATHAN

Welcome to this story thread, I hope it proves to be a long, enjoyable, constructive and prosperous thread.

Sentinels, is a personal creation of mine, featuring the campaigns of an "Interventionist" Military race known as the Sentinels, I have written a few stories about them in my time.

ENSURE YOU READ THE FOLLOWING.

Rules:

1. Absolutely NO flame-wars. (This wastes forum space and upsets the flow of story and input. It also affects other users and contributors negatively, if you ABOSOLUTELY must say something, do it via P.M.)

2. No submissions that are irrelevant, focus remains on the main character at most times. (e.g., cutting away from current action and events to show something random)

3. No forcing characters into the story. (e.g., suddenly jamming a character into the plot, without any introduction or explanation)

4. No memes. (e.g., Shoop da whoop)

5. Be sensible and set a good example. (This creates a healthy working environment and allows others and yourself to submit content more comfortablely)

6. No Trolling, Constructive criticism is naturally welcome as it identifies a problem and offers a solution. (Trolling however just lowers the tone and upsets users)

Submission / Contribution Rules:

1. Spend at least up to 45 minutes or over on your piece.

2. When you are going to submit the next frame, announce that you are going to. (so as to let other existing and potential contributors know.)

3. Absolutely no submissions once someone else has announced that they are going to submit the next frame. (There's nothing more annoying than working on a frame, then coming back to see someone else has posted a frame before you, after you announced your claim.)

4. Ensure that any frames that are submitted are completely coloured.

5. If an announcer has not yet submitted their piece without explanation after 5 hours, the chance to claim will be opened again.

6. Regarding Violence and Nudity.

The environments the characters will be interacting will most likely be very dangerous, so violence is to be expected, however I do ask that you do not create anything that is very graphic.

Nudity and sex should only be used in very artistic instances. I am unsure whether character relations will reach the level of sex, however if it does I ask that you do not show anything that is explicit.

Character Party Rules:

1. Only a maximum of three main characters is allowed, these will be introduced and chosen in a special way.

2. New main characters can only enter the party while there is an empty slot in the party, and only after the previous occupant's fate has been confirmed.

3. When and if you create a character, make them dynamic and give them depth, I have a system set that allows you to create characters effectively at the right moments.

Personal Art styles are completely welcome, as long as the Artist ensures characters and areas are recognizable.

A few words of reason.

There's no need to try and cram action and plot twists into every shot, this thread attempts to create and sustain a much more linear approach, we'll try to have more build-up, before action scenes and plot twists.

Respect your fellow users and be understanding, this will allow a much more calm and enjoyable environment.

Keep yourself calm and collected, in these kind of threads emotions can tend to run high, often leading to flame wars, no-one wants this.

When you want to submit a frame, please consider carefully what has happened so far, you must make submissions that further the story well, rather than complicating things, so consider carefully whether or not your idea for the next part really does contribute effectively before your begin.

Have fun! If you're contributing, take your time with your work, and enjoy the creation process. You have a time limit of up to five hours for work on a submission, so you have plenty of ample time to tweak your frame, until you are satisfied with the final product.

Be creative! "Sentinels" is set in many planets in far reaches of the universe; therefore we're bound to see interesting people, races, and species. We don't need to see humans exclusively so let's see what you can create!

Useful technique

The "Dialogue sequence", when characters have long conversations, you can write all the dialogue in the message box and include an interesting picture to capture the essence of a conversation. This is useful for maintaining a good level of understanding in the story.

I guess that concludes the wall of text, so let's begin. I hope we all have a lot of fun and create a coherent, enjoyable story, for both the contributors and the readers.

To anyone who may wish to contribute soon, please allow me to finish the introduction before any additional contribution is submitted it will take around 30 minutes due to forum mechanics.

Chapter one: "Awakening".
Page 1

Commander Antares entered the observation room; he could see the Cryo-stasis pod through the glass.

"Control room? Is the re-animation process finished?" Spoke the Commander, to what appeared to be the air.

"Yes Commander, we are ready to activate on your command." Spoke a nearby intercom.

"Then It's time, proceed when ready" he spoke apprehensively.

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 04:17:00

Alex Brooke emerges...

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 04:18:01

Before Alex proceeds she has to equip herself.

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 04:19:09

These two weapons are Familiar to Alex.

A.L.P .51. - ACTION LASER PISTOL, a very balanced energy weapon, the handle is hollow to make it lighter, the hollow at the front is to balance out the weight and doubles as an exhaust port for excess gases leftover from laser shot, It uses energy cells that are good for 30 shots before a reload is necessary each light along the energy cell is the equivalent of 10 shots. These pistols can also be rigged to explode in the direst of circumstances, by simply pulling out the safety switch.

CARTONIAN BAKRA DAGGER - A racial Dagger, native to the Cartonians, it is made of highly refined alloys that allow the blade to be light, sharp and strong it is good for slashing and stabbing due to its vicious curved, double edged and spiked design. The Sheathe proudly bears the Cartonian insignia of the circle and four arrows, it also contains a unique property, whatever is placed inside it can be automatically repaired slowly, it absorbs the necessary materials from the surrounding environment and repairs the damaged article, however it only works on simple items, and materials, which is why it is employed to keep melee weaponry in high quality.

A particular advantage of these weapons is that Alex can wield them both at the same time.

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 04:49:18

Many Soldiers have mementos, Alex is no exception.

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 04:50:27

"Please, take a seat" Commander Antares instructed, casting a glance over the top of his glasses at her.

Alex felt strange around this man; she knew she had never met him before but she felt something strange about him, almost as if he was...."familiar", she sat opposite to him on a small stool, it felt awkward.

"I hate these boring-ass briefings" She said, rolling her eyes. "Can we make this quick?" She added.

"Well I hate giving them, but I can't have you running around, without fully understanding what you're meant to be doing." He threw the papers onto the table, making her jump. "So listen up!" He spoke sternly.

"Does this guy think he's talking to a kid? What is he? 75? HA! Beat that with a combined bio age of 26 and a cryo-stasis age of 296!" Alex thought to herself.

"Well, by looking at these records I'd assume you're familiar with Operation Leviathan?" he questioned.

"Yes, I've completed three Intel gathering missions, tracking down the origins of "Leviathan" She answered promptly, her mind was beginning to recover and focus after awakening from cryo-stasis.

"This mission will be no different, previous Intel gathering has leaded us to Ignis in our Pursuit."

"Ignis?" Alex said with obvious puzzlement.

"Yes, it's a desert planet."

"Desert!? Sand, scorching heat and freezing cold, ugh..." Alex complained in her mind.

"Previous Intel has led us to believe that there may be someone with the family name of Coris, who may know further Intel, possibly even the location of Leviathan itself."

"So I've got to find this person and bring them back for questioning?" Alex summarised.

"Yes, this could be the defining moment of this assignment, we can't afford to fail."

"I understand."

"Ignis is a very dangerous planet Brooke, not only is it inhospitable, but it is also a prison planet, they take the dregs of society and force them to live out their days there, a lifetime of hardship is the punishment. Expect to encounter dangerous people, you'll have to watch your back and be careful who you trust."

"If it's so dangerous, why are you sending me in by myself? Wouldn't it be better to send more Sentinels?" Alex questioned

"We're not sending you by yourself; you'll get to choose one companion to assist you."

"Oh that makes me feel much better" Alex spoke with obvious sarcasm.

"Brooke, we can't risk drawing attention to ourselves, no-one knows we're here, and it needs to stay that way, therefore a small squad is what is needed" Commander Antares spoke aggressively now.

"....Understood..." Alex resigned

The briefing continued for a while, until Commander Antares finally dismissed her.

"Now you can take this list to choose who you want to accompany you, make sure you make the right choice, once you have done that, your shuttle will be ready to take you down to Ignis" Antares spoke as he handed her a folder.

Alex saluted the commander.

Commander Antares saluted also and then returned to his desk, arranging his files.

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 04:51:40

OKAY! Now this is where you guys can contribute! Brooke needs an accomplice and has a folder full of potential comrades. So create characters and one will be chosen to go with her.

This is a secondary character that Brooke will do a lot of interaction with so, if you want your character to be chosen you've got to make an excellent character, so give it your all and good luck to everyone who submits!

Include:

Character concept piece.
Character Biography.
Equipment list.
Rankings and Qualifications.
Strengths and weakness.
Race and Racial abilities.

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 06:07:49

Character concept piece.
Character Biography - Joseph Raesone was born in a small district one the left side of a gigantic trade road, he was raised by his parents up to the age of 9 when they were both murdered by gangs over his fathers gambling debts, he was then recruited and raised by the same gang that killed his parents. He was never schooled and was proud of his street smarts. However one dark evening he was preparing to rob a bank when he was knocked unconcious and had his memory wiped. When he awoke he was in a sentinel pod with almost no knowledge of who he was or what was going on, he only knew his name and his age (29).

He was then taken from his pod and put through a rigorous training programme teaching him weapon usage and effective combat. When on his second training excercise using live ammunition he was accidentally blown away by pulse rifle which left a large are of his torsoe, left hand and face with a large amount of damage. This meant that the damaged areas needed to be replaced by mechanical parts meaning now he is a cyborg, and one of sentinels most effective operatives.

Equipment list - Colt 45. he insists on using even though it's uncredibally out-dated. Pulse Rifle. 3 Incendiary grenades. Robotic left hand.
Rankings and Qualifications - Joseph was recently promoted to the rank of sergeant on a mission to Oegroy a small settlement held by mercenaries, he was trapped behind enemy lines for 12 days with little food and water. He eventually commandeered a mercenary cruiser and escaped in the heat of a sentinel bombing run.
Strengths and weakness - Strengths: Robotic Hand. Street Smarts. Combat Efficient. Calculative Thinking.

Weaknesses: Unaware of his past. Finds it hard to read people.

Race and Racial abilities - White Cyborg. He struggles to blend in with crowds due to his robotic assets however he is far more powerful than regular recruits.

i'll post the weapons soon

Drink tea and fuck bitches.

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 06:19:38

the weapons. also
hi dave!!

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 06:28:05

i'll post the weapons soon

i gotta re-do his trousers somewhen, but i'm off out now

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 07:48:19

Nice idea fishboy.

Also guys, I'm just going to give you an explanation of the Sentinel race so we can get a bit more understanding. The Sentinels have no diplomatic standing in any galactic union, in-fact it is often disputed whether or not they really exist, they appear to be more like a legend. There is no true genetic position in its members since they go around recruiting people who would make good sentinels, so the members are very diverse in their race and genetics, but most of them are very like-minded in their beliefs. Since the sentinels are "Interventionist" they go to places that require attention to protect and further the advance of the native life forms, instances include the overthrowing of tyrannical leaders, curing disease and famine, obtaining technology and introducing technologies and sciences to races that need them. The very best and most useful Sentinels are kept in cryo-stasis pods, to increase their life-span, since they only come out of their pods to serve the sentinel way, it would take a very long time for one of these sentinels to grow old and die from natural causes.

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 19:09:27

I'm posting one soon, if you don't like it then ignore it :P

But I think it has potential, also, this thread too

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 20:23:20

It seems as though there could be multiple choices for a companion, so I'm going to post an idea I had--

BBS Signature

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 20:58:14

ill post an idea tomorrow if thats not too late, its midnight here

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-20 21:36:27

Although his name is unpronouncable by human tongue, this creature is called Cycnus, after the child of Ares, god of war.
Centuries ago a great virus swept across his planet, XI19-C. Introduced by an unknown source, it claimed the lives of his race quickly and nearly caused its extinction. Due to the intervention of the Sentinel EFPCS (or Emergency Fatal Pathogen Control Squad), through two costly years of research a cure was developed, saving the entire Kuthan race.
Always a devout moral leader of his clan, Cycnus has held that it is his ultimate duty to serve the cause of the Sentinels in the hope that he may someday repay his life debt and return home to his people.
Several years later, another devastating attack was unleashed on XI19-C. Several particle beams from deep space plunged through the core of the planet, destroying its magnetic field and leaving all life on the planet exposed to the deadly radiation of the nearby star. At the time, Cycnus was serving on a mission with the Sentinels, and now he is assumed to be the only surviving member of his race.
He persists, however, in his service to the Sentinels, now desperately searching for clues relating to his race's destruction.

Weapons: Claws composed of a hyper dense organic coating with an internal structure similar to human bone, albeit much lighter and stronger.

Special abilities: His exoskeleton makes him immune to glancing blows from projectiles, however depending on the caliber and angle of the shot, penetration and cracking is still possible. His central eye is capable of absorbing and responding to 200-550 nm light, giving him moderate heat vision, making him an excellent night stalker. His claws are also capable of penetrating light plated armor, and medium plates if time is taken to line up a strike.

Weaknesses: His eye structure prevents him from detecting blue, violet, and higher frequency light. His claws are quite noisy on hard surfaces, and his traction is not much to brag about, however in softer materials he has a great potential for movement and even greater traction.

BBS Signature

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-21 00:36:20

OK, here's mine.
Name: Bruce
Bio: Born in London. His father died in a car crash when Bruce was 9 years old, months later, his mother killed herself, a few days later Bruce's birthday. Bruce, forced to live in the streets, he learned to take care of himself. Bruce's anger made him stronger. When someone tried to mess with him, he showed no mercy. At the age of 15 he killed a man that tried to rape him. At the moment when the pedophile died, Bruce gone stronger. At the age of 19, Bruce joined in the Army, there he had food, a bed, and training for killing. He learned fast how to use weapons like Combat Knifes, pistols, shotguns, etc.
At the age of 30 he got caugh by the enemy, he got knocked out.
2 years later he wakes up in a sentinel pod. Now he's trying to discover what happened...
Equipment: Benelli M3, Glock 18, Combat Knife.
Rankings and Qualifications: None.
Strenghts and weakness: Incredible weapon accuracy. Very agile. Poor health.
Race and Racial abilities: Human. He's very sigile.

Sorry if you don't understand, I've got limited English. BTW, the idea of the pedophile is not supossed to be funny or just something random.

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-21 07:32:19

UPDATE

I'm proud that you guys can make these great, interesting characters. And if yours isn't used in this particular chronicle of Sentinels, rest assured they will definitely make an appearance in future stories.

I'm leaving character creation open for the rest of today, then the story will be continued tomorrow, so if anyone is interested in making a character, today is the time limit, the chosen character will be announced tomorrow.

Note. the companion is being chosen by a third party outside of NG rather than myself, so the choice will be completely unprejudiced, everyone has an equal chance of their character being chosen, so don't feel unmotivated!

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-21 09:38:15

At 8/21/09 07:32 AM, TheDaveAngle wrote: Note. the companion is being chosen by a third party outside of NG rather than myself, so the choice will be completely unprejudiced, everyone has an equal chance of their character being chosen, so don't feel unmotivated!

Who is this third party?
Are you the pawn in some master plot, TheDaveAngle?

BBS Signature

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-21 10:24:39

At 8/21/09 09:38 AM, sumguy720 wrote:
Who is this third party?

Nothing that dramatic, when I said third party I just meant that each character will be examined in depth (it was very unclear I know), to decide how well they might work in tune with the story, and what elements would be brought in by the introduction of this character. And how well they would work, in conjunction with the character of Alex Brooke. But every character still has equal opportunity in the examination process.

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-21 12:40:57

At 8/21/09 10:24 AM, TheDaveAngle wrote:
Who is this third party?

The suspense is killing me.
Also the pedo guy had a very similar childhood to mine. Hmmmmm?

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-21 14:08:26

At 8/21/09 12:40 PM, fishboy121 wrote:
Who is this third party?

Are you talking about my character, because I think you got it wrong, he's not a pedophile, lol.
Also, when I finished my storie I realized is very simillar than yours, sorry, trust me, I didn't copied it, just coinsidence.

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-21 16:13:33

At 8/21/09 02:08 PM, lolxxXDarkSideXxxlol wrote:
At 8/21/09 12:40 PM, fishboy121 wrote:
Who is this third party?
Are you talking about my character, because I think you got it wrong, he's not a pedophile, lol.
Also, when I finished my storie I realized is very simillar than yours, sorry, trust me, I didn't copied it, just coinsidence.

yeah, it was the first thing to come to me to, i wanted the rebelious type and it was the most logical way, like Batman

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-21 16:57:59

I've always enjoyed joining stories where multiple people participate, though I've only done black and white pencil drawings for the last one I was in.

Name: Maxwell

Bio: The brainchild of the late robotics genius Felis Ackerson, Maxwell was built as a prototype for a line of cybernetic communicators that was cancelled due to the creation of a cheaper humanoid model. Possessing a rather sophisticated AI and some rather quirky behavior, Maxwell quickly developed a personality that even his creator had been unprepared for, and eventually he almost considered him to be the son he never had. After dying of cancer in his later years, Maxwell was "adopted", so to say, into the Sentinel program where he was used as a translator for missions onto alien worlds, as well as for recon use.

He is known to occasionally make attempts at understanding the various behaviors he observes from the various partners he has been assigned with. He does not have a full understanding of the concept of death, and for several days before Sentinel agents found him he believed that his father was sleeping. Besides this, he is known to be extremely friendly to those he works with though he appears to not understand the concept of personal space and has often used electrical/mechanical/robotic terms to describe various conditions and actions in organics.

He was built with anti-gravity generators that allow him to float to a maximum of 10 feet in the air, though he requires a solid surface below him. His "eye" is capable of widening or shrinking in order to focus on objects based upon how far away they are. His fusion battery which powers him is self-sustaining, thus he does not require to be recharged unless too much energy has been drained from him. His antenna allows him to communicate with his superiors, as well as intercept local radio chatter and similar forms of broadcasts.

Equipment: Anti-gravity generator, translator, thermal imagining, night vision, x-ray vision.

Strengths: Requires no food or water, immunity to radiation and disease, titanium alloy plating, minor shielding, high intelligence, does not breath, can function in space/water.

Weakness: Electrical shocks, EMPs, viruses, lacks any true form of weaponry, hacking

Front and Side views.

"I am matter... I am antimatter... I can see your past... I can see your future... I consume time... And I will consume you!"

- Culex

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-21 20:37:40

The Lamentation of Troy Antares.

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-21 20:54:10

Alright guys the companion character will be announced tomorrow so if there is anyone who still wants to post an idea you have about 10 hours left.

P.S: the Lamentation of Troy Antares just now was a bit of sub-story, but it doesn't really carry on any further than that.

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-21 21:50:23

At 8/21/09 08:54 PM, TheDaveAngle wrote: Alright guys the companion character will be announced tomorrow so if there is anyone who still wants to post an idea you have about 10 hours

oh i knew i forgot somethin ill get straight to work

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-21 23:58:52

At 8/21/09 04:13 PM, fishboy121 wrote:
yeah, it was the first thing to come to me to, i wanted the rebelious type and it was the most logical way, like Batman

What do you mean??

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-22 02:41:11

At 8/21/09 08:37 PM, TheDaveAngle wrote: The Lamentation of Troy Antares.

PLOT TWIST!!!!!!!!

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-22 03:37:12

If there is absolutely anyone left who wanted to post a character. you have 4 hours left.

Response to Sentinels: Operation Leviathan 2009-08-22 06:54:46

At 8/22/09 03:37 AM, TheDaveAngle wrote: If there is absolutely anyone left who wanted to post a character. you have 4 hours left.

so, are all the characters being used at some point