00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

joker1222344 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

American Football Discussion

295,894 Views | 4,005 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-03 20:20:58

At 8/29/11 01:53 PM, ZJ wrote:
And while I'm at it, here's my prediction on how my school's football team will do during their first 12 games:

Miami University:

At Missouri: Loss (0-1)

Alright, so this prediction was correct, but I felt like Miami had a real chance to actually win today. They only lost by 11 points and if they hadn't thrown that interception in the end zone during the second half, this game could've had a very different outcome. Hopefully when the RedHawks take on Minnesota, they'll have practiced their passing to the point that they'll have a real chance of winning.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-04 02:51:34

At 9/4/11 01:42 AM, Travis wrote:
After a shit ton of delays you still lose on your home turf.

I also love how the series of delays basically ended the Michigan game and had it so that the Wolverines won without even playing a second in the fourth quarter.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-04 12:20:05

At 9/3/11 08:20 PM, ZJ wrote: Hopefully when the RedHawks take on Minnesota, they'll have practiced their passing to the point that they'll have a real chance of winning.

I'll think it will be a toss up. Minnesota almost beat USC yesterday but I don't know if it was for the face they are getting better or USC isn't that great this year.

At 9/4/11 01:42 AM, Travis wrote: Funniest game of the day...

Notre Dame.

After a shit ton of delays you still lose on your home turf.

You would think having to pass the "Play like a Champion" sign seven or so times they would but I guess it's going to be another typical Notre Dame season.

At 9/4/11 02:51 AM, ZJ wrote: I also love how the series of delays basically ended the Michigan game and had it so that the Wolverines won without even playing a second in the fourth quarter.

What do you say to your team if you are the Western Michigan coach. 'Well we weren't going to win anyways so let's give up and try and beat the traffic.' I could see that if they were in the FCS but they are in the MAC which is in the FBS.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-04 16:03:50

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-04 16:32:01

At 9/4/11 04:03 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: http://www.lostlettermen.com/on-campus-b o-pelini-lands-in-urban-dictionary/

Who do you think will be next?

Well Jim Tressel is already in there...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-04 23:15:19

At 9/4/11 12:20 PM, reverend wrote:
At 9/3/11 08:20 PM, ZJ wrote: Hopefully when the RedHawks take on Minnesota, they'll have practiced their passing to the point that they'll have a real chance of winning.
I'll think it will be a toss up. Minnesota almost beat USC yesterday but I don't know if it was for the face they are getting better or USC isn't that great this year.

My guess is that USC isn't that great, since they are pretty deep in sanctions, and Minnesota has been virtually irrelevent for a long time.

At 9/4/11 01:42 AM, Travis wrote:
You would think having to pass the "Play like a Champion" sign seven or so times they would but I guess it's going to be another typical Notre Dame season.

South Florida is actually a pretty good team, {when they want to play and not bullshit around.} but that's why you don't give Notre Dame any preseason hype. They are bound to disappoint.

At 9/4/11 02:51 AM, ZJ wrote: I also love how the series of delays basically ended the Michigan game and had it so that the Wolverines won without even playing a second in the fourth quarter.

A win is a win, I guess. Western Michigan should've been glad that we didn't ran 50+ points on their ass, like we usually do on them.

What do you say to your team if you are the Western Michigan coach. 'Well we weren't going to win anyways so let's give up and try and beat the traffic.' I could see that if they were in the FCS but they are in the MAC which is in the FBS.

I probably imagine that's what the Marshall coach is saying to his players when they called off the game at West Virginia due to the storm. Then again, Western Michigan and Marshall shouldn't be in the FBS to begin with, but that's a different subject for a different day.

R.I.P Lee Roy Selmon, Oklahoma great and the first pick of the Tampa Bay Buccanners in 1976 {also is their only HOF as well.} Probably one of the most underrated DE ever to play this game in both college and pro football as well. He was 56.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-05 01:32:53

At 9/4/11 12:20 PM, reverend wrote:

I would love it if that game was as close at the Miami v. Mizzou game was. There is nothing better to me than seeing my school go toe to toe with a team that should be totally kicking their ass.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-05 16:47:18

At 9/4/11 11:15 PM, orangebomb wrote: I probably imagine that's what the Marshall coach is saying to his players when they called off the game at West Virginia due to the storm. Then again, Western Michigan and Marshall shouldn't be in the FBS to begin with, but that's a different subject for a different day.

I just don't like the idea of not finishing a football game. It's not like baseball where after five innings you get bored and say, "oh well" and play another 161 games. You only get ten or so games to play and each of them counts especially if you want to play in the Liberty Bowl or whatever C-USA tie-ins are.

R.I.P Lee Roy Selmon, Oklahoma great and the first pick of the Tampa Bay Buccanners in 1976 {also is their only HOF as well.} Probably one of the most underrated DE ever to play this game in both college and pro football as well. He was 56.

Yeah, that's been the news here since he first had his stroke. An awesome guy and really loved football. Not just winning those accolades as you mentioned but helping start said South Florida football program from scratch as AD and really help make them relevant in the Big East. Also I don't think there would have been any way OU wins those two championships in the 70s without him.

At 9/4/11 11:18 PM, Cootie wrote: But worse... Georgia lost to Boise. Wtf, now they are going to think they can play football with the big boys even more. Thanks a lot Bulldogs.

The only ranked team they will play this season. I really hope Tulsa can knock them off in two weeks. Doubtful since they will be in Boise, but one can hope.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-05 21:19:14

Hey guys, I don't think I posted about it here, so I feel like I should bring it up now before the NFL starts up its regular season. This summer I got a chance to read H. G. Bissinger's Friday Night Lights and I thoroughly enjoyed it. While it served well as a great sports story about a football team that faces trials and conquers obstacles, it also was a great commentary on race relations and life in the south. I personally loved the book and I easily understood why it was turned into a movie and a hit television series.

So, have any of you guys read this book and what if you have, what did you think of it?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-05 23:33:54

At 9/5/11 04:47 PM, reverend wrote:
At 9/4/11 11:15 PM, orangebomb wrote: I probably imagine that's what the Marshall coach is saying to his players when they called off the game at West Virginia due to the storm. Then again, Western Michigan and Marshall shouldn't be in the FBS to begin with, but that's a different subject for a different day.
I just don't like the idea of not finishing a football game. It's not like baseball where after five innings you get bored and say, "oh well" and play another 161 games. You only get ten or so games to play and each of them counts especially if you want to play in the Liberty Bowl or whatever C-USA tie-ins are.

I don't really like it either, but I think the reason why they do this is to keep the kids from being burnt out, which of course isn't really the case at all, considering Miami {FL} and Maryland play today, and have a game next Saturday. {I think, haven't checked their schedule.} They should've finished those games the next day that they were cancelled from.

At 9/4/11 11:18 PM, Cootie wrote: But worse... Georgia lost to Boise. Wtf, now they are going to think they can play football with the big boys even more. Thanks a lot Bulldogs.
The only ranked team they will play this season. I really hope Tulsa can knock them off in two weeks. Doubtful since they will be in Boise, but one can hope.

Personally, I'm sick of Boise State, {and all these "mid major" teams, for that matter} they're more or less like the trolls of college football. If they wanted respect, then they should've joined Utah into joining the Pac-12, not go to another pussy conference. I mean, if they were so great, how come they didn't play teams like USC, Michigan or Texas to prove that they really do belong? Probably because they would've gotten their brains beat in.

Here's a new rule that the BCS should make, if you aren't a part of the big 6 conferences, {Big 10, ACC, SEC, Big East, Big 12, or Pac 12.} or go independent like Notre Dame and BYU, then you don't play in any BCS bowl game, period. Grow some balls Boise State, and play against the big boys every week, not rack up wins against glorified FCS programs.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-05 23:54:16

At 9/5/11 11:33 PM, orangebomb wrote:
Here's a new rule that the BCS should make, if you aren't a part of the big 6 conferences, {Big 10, ACC, SEC, Big East, Big 12, or Pac 12.} or go independent like Notre Dame and BYU, then you don't play in any BCS bowl game, period. Grow some balls Boise State, and play against the big boys every week, not rack up wins against glorified FCS programs.

That rule is fucking stupid. If a team like the Miami Redhawks goes undefeated in its MAC conference and wins the conference's championship game, why shouldn't it be allowed to go to a bowl game? Because it's not in a "Big" conference? What, every team has to either be a mega program or a shitty little team that only plays 12 games? There can't be a middle road? Jesus, that's so dumb.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-06 00:15:50

At 9/5/11 11:54 PM, ZJ wrote:
That rule is fucking stupid. If a team like the Miami Redhawks goes undefeated in its MAC conference and wins the conference's championship game, why shouldn't it be allowed to go to a bowl game?

I didn't say that they can't be in a regular bowl game, just not a BCS bowl game. Plus, the Redhawks already lost to Missouri to begin with, so any BCS asperations they had is now gone. Also, putting those types of teams who play 1 {maybe 2} good teams and a bunch of shitty, irrelevent teams makes a whole mockery of the BCS. {Which is a big fucking mockery to begin with.}

Don't reward teams that go undefeated against shitty competition almost every week that had no chance of even sniffing a big bowl game, much less one at all.

Because it's not in a "Big" conference? What, every team has to either be a mega program or a shitty little team that only plays 12 games? There can't be a middle road? Jesus, that's so dumb.

Not every program in a "Big" conference is a mega program, mind you. Plus, they're shouldn't be a middle road for these smaller conferences because they are so top heavy, that the other teams can barely compete with them. And hypotheically, no one would ever believe that a team like Boise St. or TCU can win a national title, because fans can name off at least a half-dozen teams or so that could beat the tar out of them.

You don't see this problem in the NFL, much less in any other sports league for that matter. Until there is a legit playoff system for major college football, then the BCS is here to stay, like it or not.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-06 16:45:04

At 9/6/11 02:07 AM, Travis wrote:
Lol...

For one Boise State keeps proving that they are a worthy program.

By what, playing one or two good teams every year, {over the last 2 years, in NFL stadiums} and playing a bunch of average to pathetic teams in a sub-par conference. I never said that they weren't good, but not as good as everyone wants to think, especially since 1 loss makes them virtually irrelevent until bowl season. Name one program that was a national title contender every year that played in a small-time conference before Boise State?

I think they showed a stat on Sportscenter where they haven't lost any of those big games.

Well, don't forget that the lost to Nevada last year, not to mention the fact that in said big games, it was either a BCS bowl game or in an NFL stadium, and not at their opponent's home turf. And once they do lose a big game, they're no longer relevent.

TCU also proved last year that the little guys deserve a chance by taking out a good Wisconsin team.

Yes, Wisconsin did win the Big Ten last year and all, but Wisconsin is a vastly overrated program that chokes in the big games almost every year. TCU was more lucky than good that game, especially since that Wisconsin was the far better team on both sides of the ball, but somehow find a way to fuck up like they seem to do every year.

Plus, TCU is going to be in the Big East next year, can't call them the little guys anymore, now that they grow some balls and play with the likes of West Virginia and Cincinnati starting next year.

You can be sick of Boise State all you want, but the fact of the matter is that they can take out the big boys and they have been proving it for the last few years.

I still don't believe that they should be in the national title hunt anyways, becuase you rewarding a team that only plays 1 or 2 ranked teams a year, and the rest are scrubs, compared to the other teams that bust their ass to get within the top 10 or so. It's one thing to beat 1 good team in a week, it's quite another to repeat that week after week like they do in the power conferences.

Also, Georgia may not be that great this season, but they are an SEC team and the SEC has been the absolute powerhouse the past several years.

If Georgia goes 6-6 or 7-5, then Boise State's argument for the NT would hold no water, no one is going to believe them at all. And as I said before, if they were so great and all, why don't they go up against LSU or Alabama instead on their home turf, when they had a chance to schedule them, instead of some middle of the road team in a power conference?

If there is anything to get sick of, it's the SEC winning every BCS Championship.

1. I know you said that because your Buckeyes got slaughtered against Florida and LSU in the National Title game in '06 and '07, and if wasn't for those greedy bastards at the BCS and that slimeball Jim Tressel, then it would've been 3 in a row that the Bucks got their asses handed to by an SEC team.

2. The SEC is far and away the best conference with the best teams every year since '06. But I have a feeling that Oklahoma might win it all this year, assuming that they don't screw up somewhere down the line.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-06 17:23:03

Alabama or LSU will win it all. Easily. Oklahoma will win 2nd place.

Anyways, need more opinions for my flex starter this week.
Addai @ Texans. Proj. 12 pts
or
Maclin @ St. Louis. Proj. 5 pts

Addai's performance will likely suffer with Manning out but looks safe for a flex. Maclin seems like a risky start but could explode for a large number of pts.

XBL GT: ELTON JOHN 1111

ALSO, DICKS.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-07 00:43:38

At 9/5/11 11:33 PM, orangebomb wrote: I don't really like it either, but I think the reason why they do this is to keep the kids from being burnt out, which of course isn't really the case at all, considering Miami {FL} and Maryland play today, and have a game next Saturday. {I think, haven't checked their schedule.} They should've finished those games the next day that they were cancelled from.

I think it would be more reasonable to wait it out. A storm only last for a few hours and finishing it the next day ruins travel plans for the visiting team.

Here's a new rule that the BCS should make, if you aren't a part of the big 6 conferences, {Big 10, ACC, SEC, Big East, Big 12, or Pac 12.} or go independent like Notre Dame and BYU, then you don't play in any BCS bowl game, period.

I'm pretty sure that's the way it is now. Sure some non automatic qualifier teams have played in the BCS bowl games but they tends to be the exception. I don't think it would go over well when you have a hard rule that automatically disqualifies 75% of FBS teams.

But in the end I think you'll get your wish. With the advent of super-duper conferences, Pac 16, Bloated SEC, ACC and Big East merger, and the Big 10 with Iowa St (lol), it will leave the mid-majors further in the dust and out of the BCS picture.

At 9/6/11 05:23 PM, CM wrote: Anyways, need more opinions for my flex starter this week.
Addai @ Texans. Proj. 12 pts
or
Maclin @ St. Louis. Proj. 5 pts

Addai

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-07 10:55:44

At 9/7/11 12:43 AM, reverend wrote:
Here's a new rule that the BCS should make, if you aren't a part of the big 6 conferences, {Big 10, ACC, SEC, Big East, Big 12, or Pac 12.} or go independent like Notre Dame and BYU, then you don't play in any BCS bowl game, period.
I'm pretty sure that's the way it is now. Sure some non automatic qualifier teams have played in the BCS bowl games but they tends to be the exception. I don't think it would go over well when you have a hard rule that automatically disqualifies 75% of FBS teams.

It probably won't go well with them at all, but at the same time, most fans don't even know where some of these schools are, much less even give a damn what they do because they aren't on TV enough, or if they are, they're on at 11:00pm or so, where most people would be asleep. Plus, the only 2 reasons why they go to a BCS bowl game is because of the preseason rankings and the novelty factor of a BCS buster. I'm sorry, but those aren't good reasons why they deserve to be in the BCS bowl games, much less the national title.

But in the end I think you'll get your wish. With the advent of super-duper conferences, Pac 16, Bloated SEC, ACC and Big East merger, and the Big 10 with Iowa St (lol), it will leave the mid-majors further in the dust and out of the BCS picture.

If they do form these super conferences like ESPN and has been talking about, then they should truly secede from the NCAA, and form their own league, because I'm fairly certain that they are tired of getting investigated by a borderline fascist organization that is too busy counting their money, and not look out for the "student athletes." {I'm sure that the Miami Hurricanes and the SEC would approve.}

Anyways, here's my Week 1 NFL predictions:

Thursday:

New Orleans vs. Green Bay:
Going with the Packers at home.

Sunday:

Tennessee vs. Jacksonville:
Even with a new QB, I still like Jacksonville to win.

Cincinnati vs. Cleveland:
Bengals, 'nuff said.

Pittsburgh vs. Baltimore
Steelers

Philadelphia vs. St. Louis
I've got to go with the Eagles on this one.

Carolina vs. Arizona
I'm going with Arizona at home.

New York Giants vs. Washington
Giants win in a blowout.

Dallas vs. New York Jets
As much as I hate them, I'm going with the Jets.

Indianapolis vs. Houston
I still think Peyton is going to play, {however doubtful that may be} and I'm still going to pick the Colts.

Buffalo vs. Kansas City
Chiefs get it done at home.

Atlanta vs. Chicago
I've got the Falcons.

Detroit vs. Tampa Bay
Lions

Seattle vs. San Francisco
Going with the lesser of 2 evils and going with the 49ers.

Minnesota vs. San Diego
Got to go with the Chargers at home.

MNF:

New England vs. Miami
Patriots, hands down.

Oakland vs. Denver
Raiders easily

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-07 22:07:11

NFL Week One:
New Orleans at Green Bay - Packers
Atlanta at Chicago - Falcons
Cincinnati at Cleveland - Browns
Buffalo at Kansas City - Bills
Philadelphia at St. Louis - Rams
Detroit at Tampa Bay - Bucs
Tennessee at Jacksonville - Jags
Pittsburgh at Baltimore - Ravens
Indianapolis at Houston - Texans
NY Giants at Washington - Giants
Seattle at San Francisco - 49ers
Minnesota at San Diego - Chargers
Carolina at Arizona - Cards
Dallas at NY Jets - Jets
New England at Miami - Pats
Oakland at Denver - Broncos

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-08 06:47:01

in case anyone's counting predictions over the season, i'll take the packers tonight and fill in the rest on the weekend

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-08 08:32:14

At 9/7/11 10:07 PM, reverend wrote: NFL Week One:
New Orleans at Green Bay

Packers

Atlanta at Chicago

Bears

Cincinnati at Cleveland

Browns

Buffalo at Kansas City

Bills (what the fuck am i saying?)

Philadelphia at St. Louis

Eagles

Detroit at Tampa Bay

Lions

Tennessee at Jacksonville

Titans

Pittsburgh at Baltimore

Steelers

Indianapolis at Houston

Texans (lolmanning)

NY Giants at Washington

Giants

Seattle at San Francisco

Seahawks

Minnesota at San Diego

Chargers

Carolina at Arizona

Cardinals

Dallas at NY Jets

Cowboys

New England at Miami

Patriots

Oakland at Denver

Broncos

Everyone have a great NFL year! ^_^

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-08 17:40:50

Well, Peyton Manning is going to be out for at least 2 months due to neck surgery. Yeah, I'm not feeling too good about Indy winning the division, much less even finish 8-8, even in the AFC South where the division isn't really that great at all.

Now the Texans have no more excuses now, either they take over the division and make the playoffs, or Kubiak might as well be in the unemployment line. Houston has been the biggest tease in the NFL for so long, now they need to get their shit together and win that division, now that Peyton's gone.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-08 17:53:12

Buffalo at Kansas City - Bills
Philadelphia at St. Louis - Eagles
Detroit at Tampa Bay - Lions
Tennessee at Jacksonville - Jags
Pittsburgh at Baltimore - Steelers
Seattle at San Francisco - Seahawks
Carolina at Arizona - Panthers
Dallas at NY Jets - Jets
New England at Miami - Pats

LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-08 18:39:21

I'll try and post in here more now that the season's started. Damn school has been getting in the way of my football watching. Here's what I think

Buffalo at Kansas City - Chiefs
Philadelphia at St. Louis - Eagles
Detroit at Tampa Bay - Buccaneers
Tennessee at Jacksonville - Titans
Pittsburgh at Baltimore - Steelers
Seattle at San Francisco - 49ers
Carolina at Arizona - Cards
Dallas at NY Jets - Jets
New England at Miami - Patriots
Oakland at Denver - Broncos

The picks seemed almost too easy for this week. I can't really see too many upsets appearing. I want to be surprised, but at the same time I don't since I don't want to be wrong. We'll see what happens.

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-08 19:00:46

Saints tonight, just cause.

A friend in need is a friend indeed, but a friend with weed is better.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-08 19:27:34

I like defense so I'll go with Green Bay.

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-08 21:01:37

At 8/29/11 03:37 AM, ZJ wrote:
New Orleans at Green Bay: Green Bay

Wow, I really don't see my prediction being wrong tonight. 14-0 in the first quarter.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-08 21:07:49

At 9/8/11 09:01 PM, ZJ wrote:
At 8/29/11 03:37 AM, ZJ wrote:
New Orleans at Green Bay: Green Bay
Wow, I really don't see my prediction being wrong tonight. 14-0 in the first quarter.

New Orleans could not have started off worse but they might tighten it up now, they're gaining yards.

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-08 21:40:11

Uh oh, Saints are coming back into the game now.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-08 22:54:42

Defense? Who needs defense.

Also, Randall Cobb 108 yard kickoff return; that was unexpected with the new kickoff return rules.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-08 23:01:36

Well, there has been a lot of scoring so far, and defenses are almost non-exsistant in this game. It's not even the 4th quarter and it's already 35-27, although I kind of expected a high scoring game, especially between 2 powerful offenses and excellent QBs at the helm.

If you have Brees or Rodgers as your fantasy football QB, then I'm sure that your win this week, provided that someone else doesn't have an explosive performance this weekend. Now if you have the Saints or Packers defense on the other hand, well that is a different story altogether.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-09-08 23:40:53

Dude, if New Orleans manages to win this, I'll have my testicles surgically removed. This is Green Bay's game. Looks like I was right.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature