00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Videa Game Regulars Lounge.

186,614 Views | 2,372 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 13:11:24

At 7/10/12 12:16 PM, YoDudle wrote: I just got a Sega Dreamcast with Sega GT. I can't wait to try it out. Does any of you know any good games that I can get for the system other then Sonic Adventure.

Soul Reaver

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 14:56:13

At 7/10/12 12:16 PM, YoDudle wrote: I just got a Sega Dreamcast with Sega GT. I can't wait to try it out. Does any of you know any good games that I can get for the system other then Sonic Adventure.

Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, Blue Stinger, maybe MDK2, The Power Stone games, . I would say Omnikron: The Wandering Soul, but I'm unsure how well it was ported to the system

So I decided to playthrough Wind Waker again after watching some of CosmoWright's live speedrun yesterday. Forgot how cool this game was.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 15:37:36

Well, I've just downloaded Game Booster, to see if this works to reduce my lag isues with Lord of the Rings Online. You never know, it could work.

Hell, it's loaded the game pretty quickly, let's see if it can handle some of the gaming...

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 18:23:43

I've been caught in ROTMG fever. gosh darn it.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 18:40:02

Has anyone seen the Ouya?

It's a project on Kickstarter for a $95 console that runs Android 4.0 and is highly customizable. They are asking for $950K to get it into production. I saw it earlier in the day and it was at around $150K. Well, in a matter of hours it has now broken its aim and is currently at $1.25M, it raised over one million in less than 12 hours, how fucking amazing is that?

It's got pretty similar specs to the new Nexus 7 tablet from Google. Quad Core processor, 1GB RAM, wifi, bluetooth, mini-HDMI.

I think this could be HUGE, at $95 it's in the impulse buy zone. Casual gamers love games you can get on mobile devices (such as android and iOS) and hardcore gamers can get something cheap with plenty of customization. I'm really geeky when it comes to customizing shit, so I have such a boner for this device.

I have the intention of buying a Nexus 7 tablet ASAP to go with my Android phone, so an android gaming device would make my household a really top-notch Android ecosystem. Think about the possibilities, while I'm at a friends house he gives me a copy of a movie on my phones Micro SD card, I get home I stream this to my Ouya seamlessly. I can start playing me some Chrono Trigger on a SNES emulator whilst at home, than I go out, break out my Nexus 7 and HOT FUCKING SHIT I continue from right where I left off because I can sync all my saves across all my devices.

I COULD LIVE IN THE FUTURE MAN! THE FUCKING FUTURE!
DO WANT

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 19:00:08

At 7/10/12 06:40 PM, iMini wrote: Has anyone seen the Ouya?

How do you pronounce that shit? I thought it was a pretty lame idea, I don't see the appeal of android games on a home console as that kind of defeats the purpose of most of them especially when I could play something far better instead. Whatever though, the funding show's there's plenty of people interested, it's just not for me.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 19:35:54

I am LOVING The Walking Dead video game. Only game with choices I've actually sat thinking about after making them. In most games it's a case of quicksave before, sit and consider the outcomes, reload if you don't like how the rest of the scene plays out, but by giving you limited time and having most repercussions happen much further down the line (meaning you'd sacrifice a lot of progress to redo one), it really feels like they matter.

Still not sure caving Larry's skull in was the right thing to do, and feeling guilty about stabbing that cannibal in front of Clementine.

No guilt about stealing the food, though. Finders keepers yo.

Also started on Digital Devil Saga. It's Persona 4 except instead of being Scooby-Doo: The Anime Series you travel around with a woman with jaws full of jagged teeth for breasts and eat people.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 19:40:27

At 7/10/12 07:00 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 7/10/12 06:40 PM, iMini wrote: Has anyone seen the Ouya?
How do you pronounce that shit? I thought it was a pretty lame idea, I don't see the appeal of android games on a home console as that kind of defeats the purpose of most of them especially when I could play something far better instead. Whatever though, the funding show's there's plenty of people interested, it's just not for me.

I think you underestimate the potential of the android library.

There are your regular FPSs, RPGs, etc and some pretty hardware demanding ones at that (N.O.V.A. 3?). And then there's emulation again, at the moment, I think we can only really go as far as the fifth generation (PS1, N64) and Handhelds (DS for sure is possible, PSP, 3DS and Vita maybe not).

It's not just games either, you can stream a lot of online services on it (such as Hulu, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, etc) and it's full capable of watching x264 and XVid formats, so it's a fully fledged multi-media machine aswell. Hell, for $95 you could get a media center a lot worse, and for a lot more you could get a media center that doesn't offer anything else (Apple TV?)

I can understand if you're not interested though.

Personally, I'd already be playing classic games on my 32" TV if I had a PS3 controller. I think technology today really is wonderful.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-11 02:33:41

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-11 08:04:35

At 7/11/12 02:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote: So...

What are your Top 10 Favorite Video Games of All-Time?

It's hardly changed.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-11 13:15:58

At 7/11/12 02:33 AM, The-Great-One wrote: What are your Top 10 Favorite Video Games of All-Time?

I was actually surprised at some of the games that made it onto my list. I reckon that if I were to replay some of those games they'd no longer be on the list but I was basing my opinion on how I found the games when they were still "new", which I think is how these lists should be made. In most cases, I've not actually played most of those games since they were released.

The PS2 and Xbox 360 made up my entire list because those are the platforms I spent most time on. I've played a lot of the classic retro titles over the last few years, but it's hard to call them my favourite games now that I'm playing them when they're dated. I can still see why they are regarded as great games by those who originally played them, but for me, it's hard to say "wow this is amazing" when I'm playing something that's 20-30 years old.

Also can't believe that I forgot to put Pokemon Silver on my list!

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-11 18:18:30

At 7/10/12 07:40 PM, iMini wrote: I think you underestimate the potential of the android library.

There are your regular FPSs, RPGs, etc and some pretty hardware demanding ones at that (N.O.V.A. 3?). And then there's emulation again, at the moment, I think we can only really go as far as the fifth generation (PS1, N64) and Handhelds (DS for sure is possible, PSP, 3DS and Vita maybe not).

Sure there's plenty of games worth playing but very few, if any, would compare to an average current gen game. I can already emulate on my PC.

It's not just games either, you can stream a lot of online services on it

I can already do that on my PC and phone though, or on a tablet if I wanted one, and probably quite a few through my Xbox if I could be arsed.

I just don't see why you'd buy a device which can do nothing you can't already do on multiple others you already own.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-21 05:45:20

I've not been gaming much at all recently. My parents have been away in Greece for the past week now and I still have a few days left before they come back. As a result I've been having to clean the house (my brother is still here, making mess), take care of the numerous pets which involves taking the dog for two walks each day which typically last about an hour. It's hard work compared to what I usually do, but I actually like it. Makes me feel like I have a purpose during the summer months. Even if it was only for a week and a half.

Been playing some Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV again. Both games I've previously beat but I was in the mood for some Rockstar. Just wish I still had my Xbox Live Gold so that I could piss about with some Battlefield 3 online. Been a while since I last played that.

Scary to think that there's less than two months of my summer left already. It really has flown by this year where as it usually drags itself out.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-21 06:02:19

Dean what is up with your new sig it sucks.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-21 06:49:31

At 7/21/12 06:02 AM, Snuff wrote: Dean what is up with your new sig it sucks.

But it's such a cool game :(

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-21 07:01:51

At 7/21/12 06:49 AM, Dean wrote:
At 7/21/12 06:02 AM, Snuff wrote: Dean what is up with your new sig it sucks.
But it's such a cool game :(

Well it looks like a pooey game and you shouldn't play it

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-23 11:50:57

At 7/21/12 07:01 AM, Snuff wrote: Well it looks like a pooey game and you shouldn't play it

Is this because of the anime cut scenes? Usually I'm not really all that into anime but there are certain exceptions. This was one.

Really wish that I had more Master System and Mega Drive (Genesis) games. I love the 8 and 16 bit consoles but due to how expensive it is to collect for the Nintendo systems over here I've stuck with Sega.

Whenever I next have some money to burn I think that I'll most definitely be expanding my Sega collections. I just never seem to have much spare cash these days and the only place for me to get hold of this stuff is on eBay, so it's not exactly cheap. Although I hate to think how much of my income will be spent on my game collecting hobby once I'm in full time employment.

Also on the look out for a Master System controller but it's rare to see one sell for a reasonable price on eBay.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-24 06:20:00

If you had to play games from only one developer, who would it be?

I'm gonna say Bethesda, stongest batting average I'd say. Even the games they spew out with less-than-excellent reviews, are relatively enjoyable.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-24 07:41:54

At 7/24/12 06:20 AM, iCurrie wrote: I'm gonna say Bethesda, stongest batting average I'd say. Even the games they spew out with less-than-excellent reviews, are relatively enjoyable.

Since Morrowind, Bethesda haven't really developed any games that were met with less than excellent reviews

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (2002)
IHRA Professional Drag Racing 2005 (2004)
IHRA Drag Racing: Sportsman Edition (2006)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006)
Fallout 3 (2008)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (2011)

I can't really comment on the Drag Racing games, but the rest have all been top notch titles. I love Bethesda as developers but they don't develop games often enough I don't think I'd pick them as developers that I could exclusively play their games.

I'd possibly go with Rockstar Games, although that may be cheating because they've bought out a good few development studios over the years.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-24 10:28:01

At 7/24/12 07:41 AM, Dean wrote: I'd possibly go with Rockstar Games, although that may be cheating because they've bought out a good few development studios over the years.

No doubt that Bethesda produce quality - the only upside to a low output of games, is that you can get weeks of non-stop entertainment out of one game, before it gets too stale.

I never got into any of the more popular Rockstar franchises, GTA, RDR, etc. Maybe GTA:SA, but otherwise I found they were all the same thing basically - with different graphics and settings. But hey, I'm a fantasy nerd.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-26 08:17:31

I think I always regretted picking the PSP over the DS when they were released, but out of nowhere my brother just handed me his DS, a Gameboy Advance SP, Pokemon Leaf Green and Pokemon Emerald. Finally I have a DS, I think. I'm going to assume that it's pretty much mine now, although I think he gave me it because he noticed that I've been putting stuff on display in recent months. He said he never uses it anyway.

I'll probably find myself scouring eBay when I have some spare cash for cheap DS games, because I feel like this system had a lot of games that I'd enjoy and when I've glanced over the DS section of eBay in the past, a lot of the titles don't seem to sell for ridiculous amounts. Chrono Trigger is the first DS game that stands out as "I WANT THAT!" but unfortunately it is a bit more expensive.

Anyone able to recommend some good DS games? I'm sure I'll find plenty by just browsing eBay, but it would be nice to get some ideas of things to specifically look out for.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-27 10:38:21

Just won an eBay auction for a game that I believe is fairly uncommon (going by UK ebay) or possibly even slightly rare. I've seen plenty re-released "platinum" type copies of this game but I managed to get a proper black label version of Grandia on PS1. It seems to be about a £20 game usually and I managed to get it for £11.75. Got some money for house sitting and I though I'd finally get myself a copy as a treat. Don't like spending that much on retro titles but this one is meant to be a bit of an under rated gem.

Anyone have experience with Grandia? I'm so hyped for it to arrive now.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-29 03:57:05

At 7/27/12 10:38 AM, Dean wrote: Anyone have experience with Grandia? I'm so hyped for it to arrive now.

For the life of me, I've never heard of the game.

I've started to collect games more, even if Im not to keen on it, but get it for the right price. Keeping the discs/manuals in a folder, and putting the cases in storage. One day they'll be worth a lot of money, or entertainment.

Or maybe neither, but its nice to collect something...

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-29 11:26:31

At 7/29/12 03:57 AM, iCurrie wrote: For the life of me, I've never heard of the game.

It definitely seem to be one of those more uncommon gems on the PS1. I've watched a few reviews on YouTube and read some too. Most of the people who've played it list it as being in their top 10 games, so it definitely sounds promising!

I've started to collect games more, even if Im not to keen on it, but get it for the right price. Keeping the discs/manuals in a folder, and putting the cases in storage. One day they'll be worth a lot of money, or entertainment.

I'm curious as to why you split the the box from the game/manual. I have most of my game collection on display in my room now. It looks nice and it means that everything is easy for me to access, because I don't collect just to let them sit in a shelf. I collect and play most of what I buy.

Yesterday I bought a lot of games from eBay. Some because they were cheap and worth a shot, others because I've been wanting to play them. For any of you who are subscribed to me on YouTube they'll be in a video at some point. Here's a quick list of what I bought though:

Resident Evil (2002 GameCube remake)
Resident Evil 4 (GameCube)
Alien Trilogy (PS1)
Devil May Cry 1-3 (PS2)
Tomb Raider (Saturn)

Was also at a car boot sale today and got what I consider to be an amazing find! So I went around most of the vendors and found nothing of interest. Then I decided to take a look around the vans that sell stuff. Usually there's no point because it's game re-sellers who charge silly amounts.

I got to one van that had LOADS of games. He had a massive pile all marked at £1. Nothing of interest in there. Moved onto his individually priced games and it was all over priced shit. However, whilst flicking through the overpriced shit I saw a Ys game on PS2 marked at £4. I couldn't believe it. A Ys game for £4?! I bought it and he was like "that's a collectors item" and expected him to tell me he priced it wrong, but no, he gave me it.

Now the cover art and instruction manual are water damaged fairly badly. Cover art looks fine but parts of the art are stuck to the case and cant be removed without ripping, but as long as I keep them in that box it looks fine. The manual is badly water damaged on some pages. Pages had at one point been stuck together and then forced open because there's a few ripped pages. Still, it's like a £20+ game and fairly rare in PAL regions. There's currently only two copies of this game on eBay UK.

Awesome bargain. Yet to test the game though. It's not meant to be the best of the Ys series, but I've always wanted to see what this series was like and £4 was an awesome deal!

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-29 12:14:46

Has anyone worked with GECK to mod Fallout 3 or New Vegas?

I started a little project to make my own in game radio station. Surprisingly, it wasn't as complex as I originally thought, although it did take a lot of trial and error to get the mod to work properly. I got sick of the vanilla songs after hearing them for 20+ hours, so I compiled 30 (creative commons) ambient/drone tracks and added 10 numberstations into the mix. I also did some normalizing and some DSP to add some warmth and make the tracks mesh together nicely.

Overall, it came out great and adds a lot of atmosphere to the game. I have the Nevada Skies mod which makes night nearly pitch black and walking around with some dark ambient music with just my pipboy light is awesome.

I'll probably toss it up on New Vegas Nexus at some point, although I'm sure this is sort of a niche kind of mod :o

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-29 14:33:22

At 7/29/12 02:04 PM, YoDudle wrote: I've been wanting to get Ys ever since I started watching the Happy Console Gamer.

Now that you mention it, did he do a sort of "look at the Ys series" recently or did I just watch an old video of his? I've known about Ys for a while but had no idea what the games were like. I just always had it in my head as an expensive series of JRPG games that occasionally saw English releases, although I'm not even sure my description is accurate.

Given how bad the water damage is though, the disc is in near mint condition. Not a scratch on it and runs fine. I was sort of expecting it not to work, because he obviously knew what he was selling when he told me "it's a collectors item".

Apparently it's only a 12 hour game though, so I'll maybe just play through it during the week.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-31 07:15:49

At 7/29/12 11:26 AM, Dean wrote: I'm curious as to why you split the the box from the game/manual. I have most of my game collection on display in my room now. It looks nice and it means that everything is easy for me to access, because I don't collect just to let them sit in a shelf. I collect and play most of what I buy.

Its not that I wouldn't be playing the games, but I would feel like the disc/manual would be in the ultimate safe place if they were in a soft little padded folder ;)

20 years time, mint condition games with manuals and all may be a rarity. Then I've accomplished something.

I'm a bit of a freak like that. Like I wouldn't even be interested in adding preowned games to my collection.

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-31 10:46:07

At 7/31/12 07:15 AM, iCurrie wrote: 20 years time, mint condition games with manuals and all may be a rarity. Then I've accomplished something.

I'm a bit of a freak like that. Like I wouldn't even be interested in adding preowned games to my collection.

Ah right, I see. Although I manuals seem to remain in decent enough condition when they're sitting in the box. Although I guess if you're willing to go to the extra effort to preserve them, that's pretty cool. For me it would just be too much hassle.

As for pre-owned games, they're about all I buy these days. Although I'm not too bothered about my games being in pristine condition. For the most part I like my games to be boxed with the manual, but for older systems that stored games in cardboard boxes and had flimsy little manuals, I'm willing to compromise because it can cost way too much to get a boxed copy of those.

At 7/31/12 10:33 AM, tyler2513 wrote: I didn't want to make a thread asking what PS1 games I should buy because I've already seen way to many of those but which ones would you guys recommend for someone who is basically quite new to the PS1?

Breath of Fire IV
Crash Bandicoot 1-3
Grand Theft Auto 1, London and 2
Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey and Abe's Exoddus
Tomb Raider games

They're the good PS1 games that I have. Alien Trilogy seem to be alright, but if you're getting Doom maybe you wont want it. Probably a very similar game.

BBS Signature

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-08-02 20:56:29

I bought a platinum copy of portal 2 for the ps3 yesterday, it came new with no manual. Is this the norm?

Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-08-03 05:21:48

At 8/2/12 08:56 PM, iCurrie wrote: I bought a platinum copy of portal 2 for the ps3 yesterday, it came new with no manual. Is this the norm?

Only if it's pre-owned. If not then I think you should go back to the store and ask them.

It might actually be that Platinun copies don't have manuals but I doubt that a lot.