New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-04 18:53:01 Reply

At 7/4/12 06:20 PM, phrozonfire wrote: You're well versed in the 360's JRPGs, aren't you Dean?

I want something long to play, but not something horrendously difficult, any recommendations?

I've only played a few actually. Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata and Lost Odyssey.

I know you said that Blue Dragon looks all cutesy, but it's actually really good. Not overly difficult either but at the same time, not incredibly easy. Plenty content in it though and if you're looking for a game to last you a while, it's definitely the one to go for. Some of the achievements will take you a long time to get.

Eternal Sonata was pretty good, but of the three it's going to be the most expensive to get and only comes on the one disc where as the others have three or four. Still a good game but I think of the three it held my interest least. It was fun for a good while but it got boring towards the end. Probably looked the prettiest of the three though.

Lost Odyssey was probably the more serious of the three. I'd definitely label it as the most hardcore of the ones I've played, but even so, it was nothing that you'd struggle to get into. Probably had the most intriguing story of the three as well.

To be fair, either of those three would probably be worth the money. If I were to order them in order of my most to least favourite, it would be: Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata. There's not much in it though. They were all really good as far as I'm concerned.

As for the PS2, I say it's well worth having one anyway. Plenty awesome titles on that system.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-04 19:03:36 Reply

Very well, I'll simply buy all 3.

At 7/4/12 06:53 PM, Dean wrote: As for the PS2, I say it's well worth having one anyway. Plenty awesome titles on that system.

I don't know what kind of madness led me to sell my PS2. I still have an xbox but that has literally no games on it.

I will aqquire one post haste.

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-05 15:13:04 Reply

favorite glitch in recent memory

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 14:22:29 Reply

At 7/5/12 03:13 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: favorite glitch in recent memory

I had a pretty awesome "glitch" uploaded from Skate. No idea if you can still access it anywhere though because they shut down the servers for the original Skate, right? It basically looked like my guy used a street lamp to hang himself. It was grim.

Dragon Quest arrived today with the strategy guide and I'm really taking a liking to these PiggyBack guides. They seem especially useful for your open world RPG type games. Packed with good content and the two I have both have secrets sections at the back. They're interesting to flick through.

I know that people generally dismiss strategy guides now that most of the information is available free on the internet, but these are nice books. 240 full colour A4 pages that pretty much tell you everything there is to know about the game. They don't feel cheaply made either.

If the contents of this book are anything to go by, Dragon Quest VIII looks like it's going to be more my thing than FFX is/was. Still not gone back to that after getting stuck on a boss battle though.

Ain't they pretty?

Videa Game Regulars Lounge.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 14:39:36 Reply

At 7/6/12 02:22 PM, Dean wrote: Ain't they pretty?

I couldn't get into DQVIII. I played up to the first boss fight and felt the whole thing was a chore. Always felt I should give it another go due to all the praise it gets, though.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Squidbit
Squidbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 14:43:28 Reply

At 6/25/12 01:57 PM, Dean wrote: Maybe some of you guys can help me out. I'm looking for some RPGs, primarily for Xbox 360 or PS2. There's a few that I've been looking into, like the .hack series but it's expensive to get a hold of unfortunately. I liked the concept of that series so it's a shame I'll probably never get a chance to play them.

But yea, if you guys have some recommendations I'd appreciate it. I was about to write a "wishlist" of games to look out for but as soon as I started my mind went blank. Cheaper games are preferred but if it's expensive and pretty epic, I'll add it to my list.

I enjoyed Enchanted Arms, although it's been a while and don't recall the quality of the story, it's got a cool pokemonish system of being able to use any of the enemies.
It is pretty linear, which I normally don't like much, but you can backtrack through the world and go to earlier areas, which is cool.
I mostly liked that there was shit to do after the main story, but not like side-quests, but personal goals. I played a whole lot trying to get the 4 sorta legendary golem things, which lead to a giant super fucking strong secret boss. Took me about a month to be strong enough to beat it, and once I got it and leveled it up to a usable point, I was one-hitting the normal final boss.
I do remember one part of the story that was super obvious, but nobody in the game had a clue, which I found kind of funny, but I don't wanna ruin it.
But yeah, I would definitely recommend that for Xbox360.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 14:45:01 Reply

At 7/6/12 02:39 PM, TheMaster wrote: I couldn't get into DQVIII. I played up to the first boss fight and felt the whole thing was a chore. Always felt I should give it another go due to all the praise it gets, though.

Aww man. I hope this isn't another massive game that I toss to the side due to the reason you just stated. I'm aware that it's a fairly primitive RPG in that they've stuck to their roots, but it does seem to get a lot of praise which made me think it might be worth a shot. Although FFX got a lot of praise too and I struggle to get into that.

I'll probably start on this tomorrow and see how it goes. Maybe even later tonight actually. Been meaning to make sure it works and leave the seller feedback. No doubt it will work, but I'm paranoid like that. I like to test things even if they are in mint condition, just to be sure.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 14:50:52 Reply

At 7/6/12 02:43 PM, Squidbit wrote: But yeah, I would definitely recommend that for Xbox360.

It's a game I've considered buying in the past but never knew enough about it at the time so always just passed up on it. I'll definitely have to watch some video reviews at some point to get a feel for it!

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 14:57:12 Reply

At 7/6/12 02:22 PM, Dean wrote: looks like it's going to be more my thing than FFX is/was. Still not gone back to that after getting stuck on a boss battle though.

Whaaaat?

What boss did you give up at?

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 15:00:00 Reply

At 7/6/12 02:57 PM, phrozonfire wrote: What boss did you give up at?

I never really gave up, I kinda got stuck, played something else for a bit and then just never went back to FFX.

I wasn't really too far in. The boss was the Crawler that the Al Bhed send at you after their try to kidnap Yuna on the ice. It has that little drone thing that prevents the use of magic. If I fight with melee, I get my ass kicked. If I destroy the drone and use magic, it wipes out my party in one hit with the mana beam attack it has.

I'd like to go back to it, but I was kinda hoping to have it beat before Dragon Quest arrived, because like I say, it looks far more appealing to me.

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 15:30:41 Reply

At 7/6/12 03:00 PM, Dean wrote: I'd like to go back to it, but I was kinda hoping to have it beat before Dragon Quest arrived, because like I say, it looks far more appealing to me.

I had a little trouble with that one too. You really should give it a go, it's definitely my favourite FF (That's right, better than the FFVII everyone finds so precious).

I assume you mean the crawler, right outside the inn, right?

Prep
*HP should be at least 2500 for everyone. This means you can survive every attack
*ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that you have some lighting weapons on you
*Kill some weak enemies and fill everyone's overdrives

Have Wakka, Tidus & Auron in your party, and have Wakka focus completely on killing the negator.
As soon as the negator is down, bring in Lulu and Thundara the motherfucker as much as possible.

As soon as he starts using the Mana Beam and he's counting down, have Yuna summon an Aeon to take the hit. (summoning Aeon's to act as shields becomes near essential later on).

Once the mana drive is done, go back to Thundara'ing the motherfucker. If the negator comes back, have Wakka kill it again, then rinse and repeat.

Crawler HP is 16000, so you can keep track of how close you are to killing him.

Seriously, if you try again you'll fuck him up.

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 15:37:15 Reply

I'd really use FFX as a warm-up, because DQ is far, far harder.

If I went back to it, even being 5 years older I still wouldn't be able to beat it.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 15:44:21 Reply

At 7/6/12 03:00 PM, Dean wrote: If I fight with melee, I get my ass kicked. If I destroy the drone and use magic, it wipes out my party in one hit with the mana beam attack it has.

iirc you can stop mana beam if you deal enough damage before it charges. You could also try using mental break or whatever it was called to weaken the attack, or use an Aeon as a meat shield. Not sure if you have Ixion yet but being a thunder element his overdrive should fuck the crawler right up.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 15:46:45 Reply

At 7/6/12 03:30 PM, phrozonfire wrote: it's definitely my favourite FF (That's right, better than the FFVII everyone finds so precious).

Have you played IX, or VI or Tactics?

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 19:34:03 Reply

At 7/6/12 03:46 PM, Jackho wrote: Have you played IX, or VI or Tactics?

I tried, but I can't get into them. They just seem really unwelcoming and push me away.

Haven't tried IX.

I might play VI if they had an iphone version I could take around me in the absence of any other consoles/PC.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 21:05:09 Reply

When I saw the ending of FFX on Youtube, I said "fuck this game" and never played since. I still love the soundtrack and listen to it, though.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 21:33:58 Reply

At 7/6/12 02:57 PM, phrozonfire wrote:
At 7/6/12 02:22 PM, Dean wrote: looks like it's going to be more my thing than FFX is/was. Still not gone back to that after getting stuck on a boss battle though.
Whaaaat?

What boss did you give up at?

I gave up at the boss battle on the airship. Although to be fair, I've always been terrible at JRPGs D:

phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-06 22:02:24 Reply

At 7/6/12 09:33 PM, SineRider wrote: I gave up at the boss battle on the airship. Although to be fair, I've always been terrible at JRPGs D:

I remember that boss, it was a pain in the ass, almost as bad as Yunalesca.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-07 07:17:11 Reply

At 7/6/12 07:34 PM, phrozonfire wrote:
At 7/6/12 03:46 PM, Jackho wrote: Have you played IX, or VI or Tactics?
I tried, but I can't get into them. They just seem really unwelcoming and push me away.

Tactics was possibly the hardest to get into with a lot of stuff being thrown at you, but I also find it the most rewarding and it has possibly the best ending in the series (it's also one of the few that leave open a possibility for a sequel, which of course never fucking happened). I played the War of the Lions version though, I'm not sure how much it was altered from the original, other than certain classes being added and others being harder to unlock.

Haven't tried IX.

You should, it's definitely my favorite and unless you're turned off by the art style it's very easy to get into.

I might play VI if they had an iphone version I could take around me in the absence of any other consoles/PC.

If you have a PSP you could play the PSN version, or just get an SNES emulator on your phone. I wouldn't pay for Square's overpriced phone ports (FF3 for $15? Tactics for $20? Fuck off).

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-07 07:53:20 Reply

Final Fantasy is a series that I struggle to get into. I've discussed this before with Jackho. I've not played a great deal of the games. IV, V, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus and X is about it. Never beat a single one of them and probably didn't make much progress in IV and V but it has been years since I played them.

I now have copies of X-2 and XII to play at some point, but I would like to try and beat FFX before moving onto either of those.

I can't really explain why I struggle to get into the series. I usually get bored of them or decided to move onto another game long before I reach the end.

Each to his own I suppose. Final Fantasy just isn't really for me.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-07 12:14:00 Reply

Think I might finally start Digital Devil Saga after all this JRPG talk. Bought it ages ago and never got around to it.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-07 16:33:59 Reply

At 7/6/12 03:37 PM, phrozonfire wrote: I'd really use FFX as a warm-up, because DQ is far, far harder.

At first I was like "nah, a game with cell shaded graphics and crazy voice acting isn't going to be hard at all". Then I left town for the first time and headed off to the waterfall cave as instructed. I couldn't even make it there first attempt. I had to head back to town to heal. Second trip I'd levelled a couple times and bought loads of healing things in preparation. Made it to the cave and had one of the two party members fall in battle.

This game is looking to be more of a hardcore RPG than I was expecting. If a character falls in battle, they're not back to having 1HP after the battle is over and you can just heal them. They're dead. If you want them back you have to go to town, visit the church and have them resurrected. I reckon that this alone is going to make it pretty damn hard.

On top of that, it feels like you have to grind right from the start. I turned off my PS2 for now and I'll go back to it tomorrow, but there's going to have to be some grinding done before I revisit that cave.

Thankfully the cell shaded graphics have aged well, so it's not an awful game to look at. The inventory system is a mild annoyance. As well as having your standard inventory, you can make the party members carry items. If you want to access items in battle, they have to be stored on the party member, not in the inventory. The number of items they can hold is pretty small and things that replenish health don't stack, so you can only use a few per battle. Not that you need that many for one battle at this stage, but I imagine later on you will.

I think I'm going to try and avoid using the strategy guide for the most part. I was using it with FFX and it was good but this seems like a game I could actually get into, so I'd rather explore it for myself, maybe consulting the guide if I get stuck or if I can't be arsed looking over a huge area for items when the guide can just tell me where they are.

Looks like it's gonna be a damn hard game.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-07 17:04:11 Reply

At 7/7/12 04:33 PM, Dean wrote: If a character falls in battle, they're not back to having 1HP after the battle is over and you can just heal them. They're dead. If you want them back you have to go to town, visit the church and have them resurrected. I reckon that this alone is going to make it pretty damn hard.

Just an fyi, FFX was the only one which did that, in all FF games before it (and even in X-2) characters stay dead after battle and any status ailments stay until their healed. FF1 also had that church resurrection system.

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 13:11:24 Reply

At 7/10/12 12:16 PM, YoDudle wrote: I just got a Sega Dreamcast with Sega GT. I can't wait to try it out. Does any of you know any good games that I can get for the system other then Sonic Adventure.

Soul Reaver

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 14:56:13 Reply

At 7/10/12 12:16 PM, YoDudle wrote: I just got a Sega Dreamcast with Sega GT. I can't wait to try it out. Does any of you know any good games that I can get for the system other then Sonic Adventure.

Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, Blue Stinger, maybe MDK2, The Power Stone games, . I would say Omnikron: The Wandering Soul, but I'm unsure how well it was ported to the system

So I decided to playthrough Wind Waker again after watching some of CosmoWright's live speedrun yesterday. Forgot how cool this game was.

Coop
Coop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Writer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 15:37:36 Reply

Well, I've just downloaded Game Booster, to see if this works to reduce my lag isues with Lord of the Rings Online. You never know, it could work.

Hell, it's loaded the game pretty quickly, let's see if it can handle some of the gaming...

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey
News
#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature
phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 18:23:43 Reply

I've been caught in ROTMG fever. gosh darn it.

BBS Signature
iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 18:40:02 Reply

Has anyone seen the Ouya?

It's a project on Kickstarter for a $95 console that runs Android 4.0 and is highly customizable. They are asking for $950K to get it into production. I saw it earlier in the day and it was at around $150K. Well, in a matter of hours it has now broken its aim and is currently at $1.25M, it raised over one million in less than 12 hours, how fucking amazing is that?

It's got pretty similar specs to the new Nexus 7 tablet from Google. Quad Core processor, 1GB RAM, wifi, bluetooth, mini-HDMI.

I think this could be HUGE, at $95 it's in the impulse buy zone. Casual gamers love games you can get on mobile devices (such as android and iOS) and hardcore gamers can get something cheap with plenty of customization. I'm really geeky when it comes to customizing shit, so I have such a boner for this device.

I have the intention of buying a Nexus 7 tablet ASAP to go with my Android phone, so an android gaming device would make my household a really top-notch Android ecosystem. Think about the possibilities, while I'm at a friends house he gives me a copy of a movie on my phones Micro SD card, I get home I stream this to my Ouya seamlessly. I can start playing me some Chrono Trigger on a SNES emulator whilst at home, than I go out, break out my Nexus 7 and HOT FUCKING SHIT I continue from right where I left off because I can sync all my saves across all my devices.

I COULD LIVE IN THE FUTURE MAN! THE FUCKING FUTURE!
DO WANT

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 19:00:08 Reply

At 7/10/12 06:40 PM, iMini wrote: Has anyone seen the Ouya?

How do you pronounce that shit? I thought it was a pretty lame idea, I don't see the appeal of android games on a home console as that kind of defeats the purpose of most of them especially when I could play something far better instead. Whatever though, the funding show's there's plenty of people interested, it's just not for me.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Videa Game Regulars Lounge. 2012-07-10 19:35:54 Reply

I am LOVING The Walking Dead video game. Only game with choices I've actually sat thinking about after making them. In most games it's a case of quicksave before, sit and consider the outcomes, reload if you don't like how the rest of the scene plays out, but by giving you limited time and having most repercussions happen much further down the line (meaning you'd sacrifice a lot of progress to redo one), it really feels like they matter.

Still not sure caving Larry's skull in was the right thing to do, and feeling guilty about stabbing that cannibal in front of Clementine.

No guilt about stealing the food, though. Finders keepers yo.

Also started on Digital Devil Saga. It's Persona 4 except instead of being Scooby-Doo: The Anime Series you travel around with a woman with jaws full of jagged teeth for breasts and eat people.

BBS Signature