00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KittyOfChaos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Get bomed on slicethepic.com too!

2,999 Views | 55 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-22 02:56:03

Yeah, it happens here as well.

What's nice is you get a LOT of reviews in a short amount of time, some are very NG'ish reviews.

One guy docked me for not putting lyrics in the song.

Unfortunately they sometimes guess who you are and bomb you, because when reviewing you don't see the artist or the genre.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-22 04:34:37

Yeah, it seems they're always looking for vocals and/or some sort of strong commercial presence in the music. Since I tend to stretch a lot of genres within a few songs, some tend to think I've not found my musical voice, and would prefer something a little more straightforward, regardless that I put myself in a progressive genre.

They'll still highlight shortcomings and reassure what you're doing right and what not, so it's always good to get a mass amount of input on songs there. I'd recommend it.

~ My soundcloud! ~ Venus ~ hi i like liquor

BBS Signature

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-22 06:23:04

I'd love to know what you guys are talking about... But according to firefox, slicethepic.com doesn't exist.

Am I missing something here?

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-22 06:33:12

At 7/22/09 06:23 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I'd love to know what you guys are talking about... But according to firefox, slicethepic.com doesn't exist.

Am I missing something here?

slicethepiE

it's kind of a music lottery of sorts. A bunch of artists submit stuff and some of them might get a sponsorship to release an album, based on user confidence.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-22 06:43:07

Interesting... I'll check it out, thank you for the correction.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-22 06:46:00

I've submitted a track or two there, and got a lot of the same 'this needs vocals' reviews.

It seems to be an incredibly common response.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-22 10:21:50

It sounds awesome but I know my kind of music isn't welcome there...

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-22 11:36:23

Here's a funny story for you:

After read this thread I decided to upload some of my tracks on slicethepie.com.

1 song with vocals, 2 without.
Within 5min I had a whole list of reviews already, and upon reading and inspecting them, I noticed most of them are simple bots, or scripts that have the same reply.
I had several replies that where exactly the same in all 3 songs, commenting on how I should backup with vocals etc, yet it was instrumental tunes.

So there you have it, slicethepie.com is nothing more then bots/scripts that spam every song so the reviewer gets money.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-22 11:45:37

I've got a few tracks up there, to be honest it doesn't seem to be that great for non-mainstream genres.

They don't like tracks without vocal lines, and they don't like tracks which build-up.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-22 16:49:23

At 7/22/09 11:45 AM, Khuskan wrote: I've got a few tracks up there, to be honest it doesn't seem to be that great for non-mainstream genres.

They don't like tracks without vocal lines, and they don't like tracks which build-up.

Sounds like a bunch of nerfs pretending to know shit about music when they really know nothing.

Forget SliceThePie.com

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-23 01:03:22

*sniff* they shattered all my dreams of becoming famous.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-23 02:31:00

Slicethepie is a staggering place of market-horny quality idiots who couldn't distinguish a flute from a guitar. I've never seen so poorly argued reviews in my whole life before I checked out this site one year ago. This place makes the worst reviews of NG look like a doctoral dissertation. There is a little amount of 1% of halfway decent reviews you get, probably the only ones that are not written by some dumb bot. Definitely not worth everyones time.

My 100% honest, not overstated 0.02$.

Denny Schneidemesser, composer for Film & Media. www.dennyschneidemesser.com

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-23 22:55:47

MaestroRage once made a thread about this.

It went horribly wrong. People review without even thinking, and they can't tell what instruments are they hearing.

Sakura's theme | Bunnykill 5

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

BBS Signature

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-23 22:58:31

Most of the reviews I got (probably 96%) are actually accurate.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-23 23:55:55

I wonder what would happen if I posted an Experimental Synth Rock tune there. Little FX's, vocals yes, but very dark and gritty sounding.

Lets find out.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-23 23:58:16

well zero bombing is to be expected be it here or on any other site thats based off score =).

Wyldfyre1

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-24 00:32:17

STP is a cesspool of tired recycled garbage. It is the Anti-NG as far as i'm concerned.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-24 02:56:50

I vote the site is garbage, cause despite everyone talking about lots of useless reviews, I posted up a song and haven't gotten a single review since my second post in this thread.

Oh well... Don't really care for reviews from bots or instrumental haters anyways.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-24 05:44:06

At 7/24/09 02:56 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I vote the site is garbage, cause despite everyone talking about lots of useless reviews, I posted up a song and haven't gotten a single review since my second post in this thread.

Oh well... Don't really care for reviews from bots or instrumental haters anyways.

I got something like 10 negative reviews for a track I uploaded in a timescale SHORTER THAN THE LENGTH OF THE TRACK. The fuckers didn't even listen to it.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-24 06:05:51

At 7/24/09 05:44 AM, Khuskan wrote:
At 7/24/09 02:56 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I vote the site is garbage, cause despite everyone talking about lots of useless reviews, I posted up a song and haven't gotten a single review since my second post in this thread.

I got something like 10 negative reviews for a track I uploaded in a timescale SHORTER THAN THE LENGTH OF THE TRACK. The fuckers didn't even listen to it.

Sounds kinda like the votes I get after submitting a song here... But whatever, I'm not here to complain, I do at least get a few good reviews here every once in a while.

But from the sounds of it... STP isn't a very promising way to get constructive feedback. I mean, the idea of paying people to review stuff... well, that just attracts all sorts of nobodies.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-24 07:03:48

yeah, I've uploaded 3 tracks there last year and now I'm reading through all those reviews. My average score is 5.6x because:
a) The song creates atmosphere - it's a too relaxed tune, backgroundish.
b) No vocals.
c) The song builds up, e.g. Intro, climax...
d) NO VOLCALZ!
e) I'm a bot, I vote 5/10 on everything.
f) It's nice but I don't like this genre.
g) No commercial value.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-24 07:11:49

Oh, one more thing:
Since the average NG-User is review-lazy (including me) it's nice to see lots of reviews at STP even if a few are crap. It's still more feedback than I will achieve here. So, if you think your music needs some more attention have a try with STP...oh wait, that's a good rhyme lol :D

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-24 13:22:10

I made an account.

Ya know, just in case I feel like shooting my self-esteem anytime soon.

teehee

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-24 13:38:40

Im glad i never heard of that website until now, because that is one Bull shit website.

Man... and i thought some of the things here on newgrounds was corrupt. That website makes newgrounds look an angel lol.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-24 13:48:39

Ahahaha I posted some of my stuff there, it's just- wow.

It's kind of even more pathetic that they actually think they're gonna find the big hit single.

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-24 14:27:59

At 7/22/09 02:56 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Yeah, it happens here as well.

What's nice is you get a LOT of reviews in a short amount of time, some are very NG'ish reviews.

One guy docked me for not putting lyrics in the song.

Unfortunately they sometimes guess who you are and bomb you, because when reviewing you don't see the artist or the genre.

I put a bunch of my music up there a year ago about...there were some rather decent reviews and some reviews that were written by complete crack addicts. It seems you only need enough competency to turn on your internets to become a reviewer and start making money there.

It's a mixed bag to be sure. I think people get so excited about making 4 cents a review that the forget what they are supposed to be doing and try their hardest to find faults where there may be none. Kind of like asking someone who's never done sound reinforcement in their life to critique the features on the latest Allen & Heath mixer.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-24 14:38:25

I read this thread like an hour ago. I had an account there, but never uploaded any music. I saw that everyone said their reviews all bitched about lacking vocals. So I put some vocal songs up.

Wow. Apparently, I'm not soulja boy, or Britney Spears so I fail at Slicethe pie.

Fuck...I love how "more reviews" a so called "scout" has....equates to them being a better critic. *cough*bullshit*cough*. I didn't find a single review based off of musical knowledge. All personal preference. Even the good ones. And patience seems to be lacking. Because you only have to listen to 40 seconds of a song before leaving a review, some of my vocals don't kick in for a while.

"This song would be badass with vocals"....

Um...listen to the whole song shitrat. haha.

Apparently slice the pie isn't ready for Metal. haha. I managed to get 90 reviews on three songs in half an hour....but they all whined about the yelling. Pussies. hahahaha.

I <3 Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-24 14:52:44

Turns out the score has nothing to do with the review. THey have to aim at accuracy to get more points, so often times you'll get a 5/10 even though the review itself is favorable.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-24 15:08:16

If you guys haven't noticed, SliceThePie is basically for mainstream, commercial profitable music, from people who spend money to earn money. Go look at the Hall of Fame on their website. Most of the people making money are actually talented, they probably spend as much money for the stuff they got as the fiteen thousand Euros they are making. SliceThePie may suck for some of us, but for those who really have talent, gifted, and extremely lucky motherfucker to get a real non robot, scripted scout who does work for a talent agency and is willing to invest in you, that is good for them. In the mean time, just make due with what you have.

Response to Get bomed on slicethepic.com too! 2009-07-24 15:08:36

At 7/24/09 02:52 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Turns out the score has nothing to do with the review. THey have to aim at accuracy to get more points, so often times you'll get a 5/10 even though the review itself is favorable.

It's practically idiotic. Even the favorable reviews, (for supposed payed reviewers) aren't based by anything but personal preference it seems. Example:

"Reviewed on 24 Jul 2009 by a 1-star scout
Score: 1/10

It starts with interesting beats.but the mix of instruments is not good and looks annoying and the vocal is poor and the music looks very irritating.a lot to improve.real bands sound nothing like this.please listen to bomjovi or somethin."

The review was for a cover of Sepultura's Propaganda. This one:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 30779 US

There were plenty like that. Even "favorable" ones were lacking any semblance of knowledge. If you are a mainstreamer, then slicethepie is for you. :D

<3 Newgrounds.

BBS Signature