00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

sereneFalconer just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Get $30,000 to release an album!

6,058 Views | 76 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 11:50:25

So i've been doing stupid pointless surfing, because i'm stupidly pointless like that. And I tripped over a very interesting site. SliceThePie, which offers winners of contests 15,000 pounds (or $30,000 US) to finance the artist to release an album and start selling. Here are the details.

- Artists join an arena on their site, and upload 3 tracks they think could win.

- The Arena opens up for "scouting", this is pretty much people reviewing the music, what they liked, what they didn't like, and score it according to how marketable they think the song is. Or at least, that's how they should score, there are some morons on there. More on scouting later.

- After all this scouting, based on score, the top 20 artists are thrown into a showcase where people vote for and possibly buy "Back stage passes" (more on that later) on their favorite artists to help fund their album release.

- The winner of this showcase, earns 15,000 pounds, no matter what happens. The other artists, if they manage to sell 3,000 backstage passes (they're 5 pounds a pop), they also get financed.

SO WHAT'S THE CATCH?!
- The album you release, 2 pounds per album sale goes to SliceThePie, BUT THAT'S IT! Everything else goes to you, which is a lot more then what you'd expect to get on a record deal. On top of that, STP will release your album online through various venues like iTunes through the business tunecore.
- You keep all the rights and ownership of your music. If you want to sell them for anything else, you are more then free to.

Backstage Passes. WTF?
STP has a "stock market" for up and coming musicians that they finance. You can buy "contracts" which is just their word for shares, and the better the artist does, the more money you make. A backstage pass is something you can buy from them during the showcase stage for 5 pounds a pop.

Each Backstage Pass entitles you to:
1. A free digital copy of the album.
2. Participation in the recording process
3. The exclusive right to buy up to 5 Contracts at 10p ($0.20) each (rather than £1.50) in respect of each Backstage Pass you own.

There is also a virtual market if you'd like to try your hand at it and see what happens in that respect.

A bit on Scouting.
Why should you consider this? If nothing else you'll get nothing but raw, brutal feedback on your music. The scouts on this site are not usually musicians themselves, so they will tell you straight up if they think your stuff can contest in the music market. That or they'll tell you what they liked and what they didn't, with an emphasis on what they didn't.

You should be aware that these scouts get out of their way to try and find flaws in your work, so do expect a bit of bruising. If you have a fragile ego, might want to consider not joining.

Scouts also get paid for their review. 3 pence a pop for starters, or 6 cents US, which is really why I joined, to review and help finance some much needed equipment/software.

Some extra information
Why did I think to post this here? Because 1, I love you guys, and 2, thus far all the music i've heard in that place is general rock and old, tired rap. Same garbage again and again. The extra spice and much deserving talent found here would change that. Sign up lads, we'll attack the site together! me, MilkMan-Dan, and Jazza have already thrown our hats into the ring, LETS DOMINATE THIS BLOODY PLACE >:(!

Feel free to ask me anything, i've pretty much memorized the site inside and out, let me know if you've joined, it'll be fun!

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 11:59:51

Wow. That sounds awesome. I think I'll give that a try.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 12:00:48

I was on this site a few days ago, but i was a bit confused by the contracts and backstage passes system, thanks for clearing it up. I'm quite interested in the getting payed to review part...

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 12:05:25

I read about this in a recent issue of Electronic Musician (I think), and I think it's an awesome thing they've got going. Investing in upcoming musicians gives you a taste of what the record labels go through when they gamble on artists. I might throw in a few things as well to see how things go.

Great find Maestro!

BBS Signature

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 12:09:29

At 5/22/08 12:00 PM, xKore wrote: I was on this site a few days ago, but i was a bit confused by the contracts and backstage passes system, thanks for clearing it up. I'm quite interested in the getting payed to review part...

be wary though, if you think in the long run, the amount of effort and work that you need to put in to make any kind of return is quite large. Their current payment system is like this.

1 star scout rank
3 pence a pop = 6 cents US

2 star scout rank - need 50 good reviews
5 pence a pop = 10 cents US

3 star scout rank - need 250 good reviews
7 pence a pop = 14 cents US

4 star scout rank - need 1500 good reviews
9 pence a pop = 18 cents US

5 star scout rank - 10,000 good reviews
12 pence a pop = 24 cents US

a good review constitutes at least 4 lines of valid opinion. 10,000... that's a LOT. Trust me on this one, don't quit your day job, you can make decent money if you spend like 5 hours a day on reviewing, but who wants to do that? Spend more time on your music so OTHER people spend their day reviewing YOUR music.

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 16:56:11

thanx Maestro for posting this, i'll give it a try (even if i already have a record deal, i'm working on my album now)
is good to:
1-have feedback on your music
2-to make yourself known by any method
3-to try to get a better deal every time
so, i guess, see you there also ;)

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 17:04:43

At 5/22/08 12:09 PM, MaestroRage wrote: a good review constitutes at least 4 lines of valid opinion. 10,000... that's a LOT. Trust me on this one, don't quit your day job, you can make decent money if you spend like 5 hours a day on reviewing, but who wants to do that? Spend more time on your music so OTHER people spend their day reviewing YOUR music.

Just four lines!? O_o Hell, I'd love to do that. I'm sure there must be some qualifications on being a scout, would you happen to know them MrMaestro?

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 17:37:25

At 5/22/08 05:04 PM, Suspended-3rd-Chord wrote:
At 5/22/08 12:09 PM, MaestroRage wrote: a good review constitutes at least 4 lines of valid opinion. 10,000... that's a LOT. Trust me on this one, don't quit your day job, you can make decent money if you spend like 5 hours a day on reviewing, but who wants to do that? Spend more time on your music so OTHER people spend their day reviewing YOUR music.
Just four lines!? O_o Hell, I'd love to do that. I'm sure there must be some qualifications on being a scout, would you happen to know them MrMaestro?

MrMaestro is David's old name ;D!

Qualifications to being a scout? Have to have an account! That's it. You have to accrue 5 pounds before you can withdraw the money. Also you'd think 4+ lines is nothing, but trust me, you start to feel like a broken record. "Your vocals sux, the song is generic, wtf is up with the lyrics, WHY ARE YOU SO FREAKING BAD!!!?!??!"

but on a serious note, that place REALLY needs some more flavor. Out of the 180 songs i've reviewed, only ONE was orchestral based, and 14 of them were actually good. NG Audio portal has way more talent.

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 17:50:18

Never knew that was David Orr's old name o.o

well thanks for the info, I think I'll check it out.

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 17:58:01

At 5/22/08 05:37 PM, MaestroRage wrote:
...but on a serious note, that place REALLY needs some more flavor. Out of the 180 songs i've reviewed, only ONE was orchestral based, and 14 of them were actually good. NG Audio portal has way more talent.

But when your getting money out of the deal, it's more important to be marketable than to show talent. Hell, me and some friends would listen to some Soulja Boy songs that are just funny because of the lyrics. And booming bass, can never forget that in hip hop. But when you start giving away your music for free, it better be good, or else no one will care about what your giving out.

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 22:09:59

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 22:26:53

At 5/22/08 10:20 PM, GoreBastard wrote: Guys, I have bad news.
I am going to join and win, so there's no point in the rest of you trying. That money is as good as mine. I am the best musician on Newgrounds, it even said it on the News.

They have tons of prizes - I'm not worried. When I'm rich and famous from this site, I'll pat you on the head.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 22:36:11

At 5/22/08 10:20 PM, GoreBastard wrote: Guys, I have bad news.
I am going to join and win, so there's no point in the rest of you trying. That money is as good as mine. I am the best musician on Newgrounds, it even said it on the News.

well if it said in the news... Still, I WILL MAKE YOUR VICTORY ONE OF EPIC PROPORTIONS!

Also Deflektor, I haven't been sending around pm's, a bit busy to hunt down deserving people, if you want to help spread the word, thanks :D

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 23:34:00

I'm going to submit my songs, Burn and Shred, Eyes of Evil, and The Dream.

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-22 23:51:05

Check out my profile on slicethepie! My Profile on SliceThePie!

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-23 00:29:44

At 5/22/08 11:51 PM, DeadFlower wrote: Check out my profile on slicethepie! My Profile on SliceThePie!

You, my friend, have been uploading some of my favourite Technical Itch tracks. >:((((

BBS Signature

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-23 13:45:15

What songs of mine do you guys think i should add to the pie??? D:O:

no this isn't meant as advertising

NG Radio - A superb podcast with good songs from the NG Audio Portal

Get Respect from me=)

BBS Signature

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-23 20:19:12

Sorry guys, victory is already mine.

I'm going to submit She, For Schala, and Tangerine Dreams.

No one can stand up to that trifecta.

In other news, GODDAMNIT MAESTRO, YOU FIND THE COOLEST STUFF >:(

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-23 20:20:43

Correction: Not Tangerine Dreams.

Tangerine Dreams 2. When it's done. :D

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-24 01:34:42

At 5/22/08 11:50 AM, MaestroRage wrote: we'll attack the site together! me, MilkMan-Dan, and Jazza have already thrown our hats into the ring, LETS DOMINATE THIS BLOODY PLACE >:(!

Jazza's In this? damn I'm totally screwed...Eh he deserves the money anyway, The stuff he's got going in is beyond pro. I THINK it's live too, at least, that's the most realistic virtual piano I've ever heard lol, So if it comes to needed to play IRL, he's not screwed over in the instrument buisness.

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-24 02:59:40

At 5/24/08 01:34 AM, kaptainkewl wrote:
At 5/22/08 11:50 AM, MaestroRage wrote: we'll attack the site together! me, MilkMan-Dan, and Jazza have already thrown our hats into the ring, LETS DOMINATE THIS BLOODY PLACE >:(!
Jazza's In this? damn I'm totally screwed...Eh he deserves the money anyway, The stuff he's got going in is beyond pro. I THINK it's live too, at least, that's the most realistic virtual piano I've ever heard lol, So if it comes to needed to play IRL, he's not screwed over in the instrument buisness.

The requirements are not required to be performed live. The process is to see which artist the people most want to see produce an album. Also Jazza's a great composer and all but frankly all the song's i've heard from him are leaning towards the sweet gentle direction. True those songs do rock, but they by no means indicate you have no shot otherwise.

What do you have to lose by trying out :D?!

Also Solus, because you suck.

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-24 03:06:30

Sweet well I just joined we should make an NG secret society or somthing and promise never to kill each others momentum

Keeping it real with fake computer music since 2006

Spotify

Lime Tea

BBS Signature

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-24 03:23:49

Interesting... bookmarked. I might sign up later if the motivation hits me.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-24 14:28:29

Heh its only rig myself and zenon for canadian electronic musicians on the site.

Spotify

Lime Tea

BBS Signature

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-24 14:45:29

I am gonna sign for Alternative rock.

Best band ever, click it.

BBS Signature

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-24 17:02:01

yup, the arena isn't open to scouting yet, they're still waiting for Arena 6 to enter "Showcase" stage. When that happens, Arena 7 should open to scouting, and the songs entered will be judged.

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-24 18:00:38

Awesome.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about my music and whether I'd be able to really do anything with it. I'm getting out of college soon and realizing that life is fucking scary, but what I'm most passionate about is music. I've been feeling quite frustrated.

Sorry for the corny little monologue. I guess I'll sign up and post a few of my tracks. Nice Find, Maestro!

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-24 23:12:48

I jumped on the gravy train and made myself a profile. You can check it out H33R!!!!!!!

»» HouseMasta «« PM

HOUSEMASTER: "OHH FUK!!! TEH COMMUNITY CHEZZT FORCLOZD ON MA BEEEEEEF JEERRRKKEEE!!! j0 GOZ 2 JAYL!!!"

BBS Signature

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-25 00:57:27

Yo Guys set Newgrounds Audio Portal as your label .

Spotify

Lime Tea

BBS Signature

Response to Get $30,000 to release an album! 2008-05-25 08:09:29

At 5/25/08 02:48 AM, Chaz wrote: sorry to clarify - i have like 12p how do i claim that shit. or is it all in house and stays on the website. i mean i wanna put it into paypal you know lol

sure! The amount you get paid depends on your scout level. Your scout level is determined by the following criteria. Every scout room can vary in how much you get paid, but this is the average.

1 star scout rank
3 pence a pop = 6 cents US

2 star scout rank - need 50 good reviews
5 pence a pop = 10 cents US

3 star scout rank - need 250 good reviews
7 pence a pop = 14 cents US

4 star scout rank - need 1500 good reviews
9 pence a pop = 18 cents US

5 star scout rank - 10,000 good reviews
12 pence a pop = 24 cents US

A good review constitutes 4+ lines of valid opinion. Also you need to earn at least 5 pounds before you can withdraw it into your paypal. So no, it doesn't stay on the website. You will need 120 good reviews before you can claim 5 pounds.