00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nikolai38 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

[contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft

49,517 Views | 263 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-17 21:17:43

At 7/17/09 08:54 PM, Sockembop wrote: What did you use to color your masterpiece? Some crazy expensive markers? Looks amazing.

Aww, thanks! :3 ...I just used a black marker and colored pencils. But you can use whatever you want. Markers, crayons, watercolors, a computer & color printer ...nail polish. Anything goes!

...but as I mentioned earlier... you may want to cut it all out and fold it first... THEN draw/paint it... to avoid any disasters and/or angry rants should things go horribly wrong during construction! lol

Got some great stuff already!! Keep 'em coming!!! :D

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-17 21:33:42

awsome possum

X-tra Large Human

Please see MY Threadand please post a comment

Gamertag: XLH nWo Steam ID: XLH2000

BBS Signature

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-17 22:01:00

Quick question: is it all right to post these on another website like deviantArt or whatever?

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-17 22:21:25

At 7/17/09 10:01 PM, DoucheBigalow wrote: Quick question: is it all right to post these on another website like deviantArt or whatever?

Ooh, yes it is! Thanks for reminding me! I was gonna gonna do that too! Be sure you include a link here so other people can get in on it!! :D

your name made me lol!!

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-17 22:33:18

Best thing to use is bristol board to paste your template on and let it dry for a while. Then use an exacto knife to cut the colored side of the template so it's easier to bend it. It'll have a nice sharp edge but will show a little white.

had a lot of experience with this crap in my freshman year. God it was tedious.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-17 23:11:05

At 7/17/09 10:33 PM, Fleshlight wrote: Best thing to use is bristol board to paste your template on and let it dry for a while.

Me and Nae just glued ours to cereal boxes and cut them out, it's a good and cheap alternative to bristol board that's easy to find

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-17 23:51:54

At 7/17/09 11:11 PM, Captain-Ben wrote:
At 7/17/09 10:33 PM, Fleshlight wrote: Best thing to use is bristol board to paste your template on and let it dry for a while.
Me and Nae just glued ours to cereal boxes and cut them out, it's a good and cheap alternative to bristol board that's easy to find

cereal boxes might be easier to work with if it's at this scale. Bristol might get a big flimsy, but since I've got a ton of it still, I'll go ahead and use it. But cutting the corners a little with an exacto knife is still the best way of making the cutouts nice n sharp. Don't really like the premade flaps though. can't we just glue them instead of cramming them into holes?

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 00:09:06

At 7/17/09 11:51 PM, Fleshlight wrote: can't we just glue them instead of cramming them into holes?

Yeah... do it however it works for you. We're judging on the outside design, not the construction so much.

I know someone's gonna post one that looks like it was cut out with kindergarten safety scissors now just to be a smart ass!! lol!

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 00:19:32

will someone be willing to print an entry for me?
because my printer is bwoken :(

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 00:44:59

whats up (assembling and taking pics of this later its almost 1 am here)

BBS Signature

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 01:03:51

At 7/18/09 12:19 AM, EmoPinata wrote: will someone be willing to print an entry for me?
because my printer is bwoken :(

Do you want them to put it together for you to?

No, just go to kinkos or staples and pay the 50 cents to get it printed out

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 01:10:19

I wanted mine to focus less on the image, more on the shape and the shape's relation to the image.
While i was contemplating my idea, my english cocker spaniel came in and this is what happened.
I am confident that it would look better in 3-D, but my printer is fucked :(

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 01:11:35

At 7/18/09 01:10 AM, EmoPinata wrote: I wanted mine to focus less on the image, more on the shape and the shape's relation to the image.
While i was contemplating my idea, my english cocker spaniel came in and this is what happened.
I am confident that it would look better in 3-D, but my printer is fucked :(

You want a pic you say?
okay, here ya go.

i HATE when that happens -.-

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 01:13:39

At 7/18/09 01:11 AM, EmoPinata wrote:
You want a pic you say?
okay, here ya go.
i HATE when that happens -.-

edited for less toes...

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 03:57:57

Can we cut a a slot around 2/3rds up on the face of it?

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 04:25:59

At 7/18/09 03:57 AM, CalvinGodly wrote: Can we cut a a slot around 2/3rds up on the face of it?

No, you cannot alter the template in any way

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 05:30:15

Um, I have trouble generally with sculpting/forming 3D pieces of art.
Is there any easy way / set of instructions on how to properly put this together after it's cut out without utterly fucking it up?

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 06:10:05

At 7/18/09 05:30 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: Um, I have trouble generally with sculpting/forming 3D pieces of art.
Is there any easy way / set of instructions on how to properly put this together after it's cut out without utterly fucking it up?

Well, basically for this one you dont really have to do any forming/sculpting right? just fold along the lines. I created quite an elaborate model, which pushed me to get back to my highschool geometry studies. It was basically measuring each angle, combining that with another angle to derive the angle on the other side of the paper, then using some other formula I calculated the length till the next corner. And then I repeated that (thrice) for every corner.
If you mess up with this one, Id suggest printing it blank, and folding it before you draw on it.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 06:35:13

Gahhh. Something about mine just isn't right, but i don't know what to add to it.

I ran. I ran until my muscles burned, and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

BBS Signature

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 06:39:34

At 7/18/09 06:10 AM, J-qb wrote: Well, basically for this one you dont really have to do any forming/sculpting right? just fold along the lines. I created quite an elaborate model, which pushed me to get back to my highschool geometry studies. It was basically measuring each angle, combining that with another angle to derive the angle on the other side of the paper, then using some other formula I calculated the length till the next corner. And then I repeated that (thrice) for every corner.
If you mess up with this one, Id suggest printing it blank, and folding it before you draw on it.

Yeah, I'd like to say that your NG tank on your userpage is amazingly cool. I really enjoyed that, and I thought it was cool. How long did it take you to do that?
By the way, since my last post, I've been working on it the whole time, and i did it!
The first time, i used scissors and didn't cut out the tiny white rectangles underneath the trapezoid tabs that go into the holes, but I used an x-acto knife on the second one, and it's perfect!
Now all I gotta do is draw on it and not mess up.. :O

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 06:52:46

At 7/18/09 06:39 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: Yeah, I'd like to say that your NG tank on your userpage is amazingly cool. I really enjoyed that, and I thought it was cool. How long did it take you to do that?

Thanks, I think three, maybe four hours, to get it absolutely right. which involved making some test versions, and getting to learn adobe Illustrator (which I had never used before)

By the way, since my last post, I've been working on it the whole time, and i did it!

Congrats

The first time, i used scissors and didn't cut out the tiny white rectangles underneath the trapezoid tabs that go into the holes, but I used an x-acto knife on the second one, and it's perfect!
Now all I gotta do is draw on it and not mess up.. :O

Id think the best way to go about with it is to print it out again, and then draw on the unprinted side of the uncut paper. this way you wont get any of the outlines to show up. If you draw on it after cutting, it will probably be a bit sloppy near the edges.

BBS Signature

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 07:00:46

At 7/18/09 06:52 AM, J-qb wrote: Id think the best way to go about with it is to print it out again, and then draw on the unprinted side of the uncut paper. this way you wont get any of the outlines to show up. If you draw on it after cutting, it will probably be a bit sloppy near the edges.

Yeah, but ReNaeNae and BMK too I think said that you should get your template ready, because it's harder to redo the drawing rather than redo the cutting out of the template. Besides, I already tried it, and it turns into a box perfectly anyways, but thanks for the advice. If I DO fuck up, I'll try it that way the second time.

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 08:38:07

This is a very interesting project, I can't wait to see what everyone's gonna make! I might enter myself if I get a good idea soon.

BBS Signature

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 09:39:01

I haven't slept, I spent all night staying up to do this, I don't really know why.
Anyways, my phone camera sucks, and so I don't really know why, but some of these have different lighting, even though they were all taken within 5 minutes of eachother.
I worked hard on this one, and I hope you enjoy it.
Who knows, maybe I'll win something :P
Here's the bigger version in the art portal.

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 10:03:59

This took WAY too long for how bad it is. I might make it through the week.

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 10:13:26

At 7/18/09 10:03 AM, Curlyboy8 wrote: This took WAY too long for how bad it is. I might make it through the week.

I KNEW somebody would do this.

BBS Signature

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 10:18:19

At 7/18/09 10:13 AM, Re2deemer wrote:
At 7/18/09 10:03 AM, Curlyboy8 wrote: This took WAY too long for how bad it is. I might make it through the week.
I KNEW somebody would do this.

I thought about doing it honestly, lol.
By the way, this also counts towards my entry, here's the unfolded version of my entry.

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 11:06:47

Moo?

BBS Signature

Response to [contest] Win, Lose, Papercraft 2009-07-18 11:07:55

At 7/18/09 11:06 AM, J-qb wrote: Moo?

Moohoo

BBS Signature