00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ada242 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p)

4,166 Views | 43 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-24 18:59:42

If you know me from stickam or paltalk, you will have recently seen me working on a freaking monster of a drawing size-wise (monstrous as far as typical NG drawings go, its pretty standard in the art world honestly though).

Having tons of people asking about it i figured might as well make a thread showing how the thing develops since drawing it on the shitty webcam makes it look like I'm not doing shit.

Also hopefully this will inspire others to work big and not limit themselves to 8.5 x 11 or 18 x 24 sheets of paper.

I will answer questions in here also, since when i am working on cam i cant really read if anyone asks something.

THE SPECS
currently the sheet of paper i am working on is 70 lbs Strathmore 300 series. Its 85 x 42 inches (thats about 7 feet by 3.5 feet).
For an idea of what the looks like, imagine a slightly larger than normal door. Here is a size comparison to me. Im about 6 foot 3, and the slant of the pic does make it seem like i am larger than the drawing, but i can assure you, i could lie down on the thing and not touch anything but paper.

Also I'm working entirely in pencil.....

THE CONTENT
Its a figure (myself, although i wouldnt call it a self portrait), lying down. Its not quite life size, id say its about 3/4 life size. If it were life size it would have to be about 10 feet long, because my arm is outstretched above my head. I'll be working from photo reference that i took.

THE REASON
Recently during my critiques the subject of the size of my work has come up. After describing what i wanted to do, people constantly questioned "it sounds like you could do this if you just worked bigger"
For those inexperienced with working large there are certain advantages to it. You can get into small details that you never could working small, yet treat them like large details, this is especially true when working life size.
The problem with working big is the time required can take much longer, you have to translate what you see to be much larger (when working from photos, i.e. a 2 cm hand now needs to be thought of as a 9 inch hand), also finding a surface to work on is a pain.

I would recommend to everyone to attempt to work in a size larger than they ever have, just to see what its like.
This drawing is sort of an experiment for me, to see what i can do working that big, and what problems there are so that when I decide to finally do the drawings I'm really thinking of i will know more what to do.

Here is a pic of its current status, right now only a rough outline and shape relation is being done, i will most likely finish that tonight and being shading. It should be done by Monday, if not sooner.

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-24 19:05:52

That does indeed look big, and honkin.

Freedom of Speech: Priceless, for everything else there's MasterCard

BBS Signature

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-24 19:17:18

Came across a problem already. I have that one dark spot down right now as a test before I get to far. Good thing i did too, because it showed me a problem that i was worried about coming across.

Problem
The shading is picking up the texture of the wall, making for weird uneven marks and textures that are undesired.

Solution
Because this is pretty thin paper, I am sticking a cardboard drawing pad (un-corrugated of course, because that would just ad its own texture) behind the areas that i am working on.

If you ever come across similar problems (unwanted texture of the drawing surface) this can also be solved by sticking a few sheets of newsprint or other papers behind what you are working on.

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-24 20:06:10

i dont see the size. put your hand up to it or st

Sig made by me

Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor

Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-24 20:10:29

eh, i thought you were better a few months back, i will have you beat.

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-24 20:14:09

Woohoo go big! I love the idea of drawing so big, just don't have the time and it is a little intimidating

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-24 21:05:07

AHA!! so that's what it is! Was impossible to see from 8 feet away :P

I was gonna ask if you had it right on the wall, or had some sort of backer. What's the gray/silver thing across the top?

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-24 21:39:54

At 3/24/09 09:05 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
I was gonna ask if you had it right on the wall, or had some sort of backer. What's the gray/silver thing across the top?

Ruler, I'm thinking.

This is a cool idea, ornery. How's it coming so far, besides the kinks that you're working out.

Tsukino Usagi of the NG /a/ {Sig by cast}

A ninja may be fast, but my dick is faster.

BBS Signature

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-24 22:21:47

At 3/24/09 08:06 PM, fluffkomix wrote: i dont see the size. put your hand up to it or st

This wont really give you a good idea either if the pic of me next to it didn't already give you a hint. My hands are pretty big. The best way to understand this size is to take a tape measure, and extend it out 85 inches. Or try to imagine working on a piece of paper the size of your door.

At 3/24/09 08:10 PM, kr8to wrote: eh, i thought you were better a few months back, i will have you beat.

What do you mean when you say better?
As for having me "beat", its good to strive to "surpass" people, sort of like a goal. If I am your target you are shooting low or maybe in the wrong direction. I would recommend finding one of the best people you can whose style and methods are somewhat similar to your own, then draw inspiration from them and aim to be better than they are/were. Don't just copy their style or methods though, because then you aren't really doing your own stuff psychologically. Take their techniques and make them your own using your own variations and unique traits. I've done master copies before (drawing of old master drawings) and while it may definitely be recognizable as the original, there is also something about it that is uniquely mine and those who know my style can pick it out in a second.

At 3/24/09 08:14 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: Woohoo go big! I love the idea of drawing so big, just don't have the time and it is a little intimidating

Time is probably the biggest problem. Although if you use charcoal, or pastels, you can move much quicker. I'm using pencil because I that's the media I am trying to focus mainly on. I could knock this drawing off in about 4 hours with charcoal if i felt like it, but speed isn't my goal here.
Intimidation is something that is actually very inspiring to me. When I see a giant piece of blank paper instead of getting scared, I think of how awesome the final product can be, and the presence it will have in a room or other space. If you have ever seen a very large or life size DRAWING (i say drawing because large paintings while impressive have a different feel to them generally) you will understand what I am talking about, it has a certain aura around it that is just impressive, even if its not the greatest thing you've ever seen skill wise.
So I say just go for it, especially with charcoal, because its so much fun to just do those huge arm sweeping strokes.

At 3/24/09 09:05 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: AHA!! so that's what it is! Was impossible to see from 8 feet away :P

Ergo why i made this thread, I noticed that this thing wont be visible on a webcam till its about 60% done.

yeah right on the wall. My wall is pretty smooth, but i should have known that anything short of 150+ lbs paper would pick up the texture. The thing on top is a strip of measuring tape, like the kind that you use to measure your waist and tits, if you are a tailor....

At 3/24/09 09:39 PM, JadeTheAssassin wrote: Ruler, I'm thinking.

yep, measuring tape.

This is a cool idea, ornery. How's it coming so far, besides the kinks that you're working out.

So far so good, taking my time on it (aka work for 5 minutes, take long break) I need to make sure to keep my energy level up and keep refreshing myself mentally, i tend to get bored or discouraged quickly so i keep refilling my inspiration reservoir by looking at stuff that gets me in the drawing mood. Also the music I listen to is crucial.
Because when it comes to art you wont be able to do shit if in the right mood, forcing a drawing just doesn't work.

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-24 23:24:00

Good stuff gonna be big, from the looks of it, hope to see more soon.

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-25 18:27:04

UPDATE
Approximately 1 hours worth of work from last point.

Placed value of hair and darkest shadow in for reference of what not to go darker than (as they are the two darkest parts of the drawing). Will add highlights and such to hair afterwards. Started shading on shoulder region, first layer.

I tend to place a light layer of light general shading down first to show where the values go. Also is easier to work on a toned ground than straight white paper, it adds more depth to the shadows and tones later all.

Also as metioned in the SHADING TUTORIAL *wink wink nudge nudge* I'm using the technique of shading in the direction of the object. So as I'm shading this arm, I'm moving the pencil or stump as if i were drawing on the surface of a real arm. Moving your hand and arm in the same motion that you would if you were drawing on a 3-D object is very helpful.

This pic makes it look warped and scrunched, when i take the final pic i will be sure to take it correctly keep in mind.

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-29 02:31:18

UPDATE!

Going slow right now, how to postpone the work temporarily for other more urgent projects.

Worked the arms and hands (more like hand) this time, going a little bit into the chest. (keep in mind the pics I'm taking right now don't do the best job of showing the actual shades of things.)

One problem I did come across, the tape i used to stick this thing to the wall.... rips the paper when removed. Anyone of you have any suggestions of how to get tape off without destroying the tooth of the paper?

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-29 02:41:22

if I were you I'd intensify some of the shadows, for style I guess.

great job though!

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-29 02:44:54

At 3/25/09 06:27 PM, ornery wrote: UPDATE
Approximately 1 hours worth of work from last point.

I thought that was a giant erect penis when I first saw it. I don't think you should concentrate on one spot though. I usually tone extremely loosely so I get the drawing to make sense, and then go for the details.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-29 13:19:20

At 3/29/09 02:31 AM, ornery wrote: Anyone of you have any suggestions of how to get tape off without destroying the tooth of the paper?

Not sure about getting the tape off of it once its already on, maybe dampening the other side of the paper where the tape is to loosen the adhesive? Before putting tape on my paper i usually stick it to my shirt and pull it off, so it loses some of it's tack and doesn't rip up your paper

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-29 15:45:14

At 3/29/09 02:41 AM, Zuclopenthixol wrote: if I were you I'd intensify some of the shadows, for style I guess.

There aren't really any shadows just yet, also like i said the camera makes a mess of the values. Also this is just a base shade in some places. I'm not going for dramatic lighting either, just sort of ambient light.

At 3/29/09 02:44 AM, Fleshlight wrote: I thought that was a giant erect penis when I first saw it. I don't think you should concentrate on one spot though. I usually tone extremely loosely so I get the drawing to make sense, and then go for the details.

Shows whats on your mind ;) As for not just doing one area, normally i agree.
There are two reasons why I'm not doing it in this one though. First, not possible, I don't want the texture of the wall so i am sticking a cardboard pad behind it, but i can only work in an area the size of a pad at one time. Its a pain in the ass moving the thing around so I'm trying to get an area mostly finished so that I don't have to come back to it unless I need to.
Second I have had decent luck with working one area at a time. Ive come to realize over the years that the suggestion work the whole drawing, while it definitely is good advice, its not essential. It seems to be the thing that teachers tell people who are just learning to draw because its a good habit and definitely makes the drawing go faster. But I've found that its possible to make the drawing fine working one area mostly, then coming back to it if necessary. But yeah the working the whole drawing is a good idea.

At 3/29/09 01:19 PM, Captain-Ben wrote: Not sure about getting the tape off of it once its already on, maybe dampening the other side of the paper where the tape is to loosen the adhesive? Before putting tape on my paper i usually stick it to my shirt and pull it off, so it loses some of it's tack and doesn't rip up your paper

Ive considered steaming the paper, but am a little hesitant because its hard to control, and might warp the living shit out of the paper. i knew about the shirt technique (i use my carpet, works even better) but even that dosent stop the paper from ripping in some occasions.

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-30 02:25:15

Quick Update

Worked a bit more into the chest area.

As said above, I'm really just putting down a base shade, ill most likely go back in later and fix up some of the values and details. But I've got to have this thing pretty much 75% done in about 6 hours ready for a W.I.P critique so right now I'm really just trying to get enough information down so that the prof doesn't have to guess where I'm going with it.

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-03-30 02:37:37

Go go go! You crazed man.

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-04-06 03:45:13

UPDATE
Finished filling everything in. Now time to add the details and darken the appropriate areas.

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-04-06 04:05:11

hey did you ever try doing this:

BBS Signature

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-04-06 05:11:36

At 4/6/09 03:45 AM, ornery wrote: UPDATE
Finished filling everything in. Now time to add the details and darken the appropriate areas.

This is really cool!
I'm impressed with your anatomy skills.
Also, you said that the camera messed with the values and stuff, so I'll wait for a final thing.

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-04-06 14:40:21

At 4/6/09 04:05 AM, poxpower wrote: hey did you ever try doing this:

AHAHAHAHAH not with this one no. With other pieces I definitely played around with the format of the page. While making it vertical is pretty cool, I don't think I will do that for the final piece (I'm starting of a series of these, and you definitely gave me an idea for future ones). Feedback from people has given me the idea to really address the position on the wall that I will show these at, so this one will be placed very close to the floor.
And i guess my true NG user reared its head because a naked guy pressed against a wall that could read like he is climbing it, instead read as a possible glory hole dichotomy, all i need is a cock, a line and a chick on the other end.....

At 4/6/09 05:11 AM, Spaghetti14 wrote: This is really cool!
I'm impressed with your anatomy skills.
Also, you said that the camera messed with the values and stuff, so I'll wait for a final thing.

Really? Because the anatomy is way off. The shoulder needs to be higher, the chin is whacked in relation to the head, the close foot is all sorts of fucked as is the leg its attached to and the far ass cheek dosen't feel like it connects to the rest of the body. Thanks for the compliment but this thing is far from perfect or finished. And don't even get me started on the arms and hair.

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-04-06 17:46:24

At 4/6/09 02:40 PM, ornery wrote: blablablabla...this one will be placed very close to the floor.

That's what jesus would do, but wouldn't it be much cooler to place very close to the roof, and upside down....

Spider-ornery, spider-ornery
he's a spider, he is horny (only thing that rhymes, sorry)
can he draw? yes he can!
Spider ornery is a man

LOOK OUT

here comes the spider-ornery

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-04-06 17:56:34

I hate to say something but I'm pretty sure the head is huge... not sure if its deliberate but I'm only seeing roughly 6.5 heads which would put the figure under 5 feet tall if his head was of adult proportion (roughly 9 inches)
That might be deliberate or it might be the angle of the picture just wasn't sure if you were aware. Wish you weren't so far along if it wasn't deliberate
Looking quite good otherwise.

I'm cool now... Right guys?... Guys?

Art Thread So I don't Lose It >:(

BBS Signature

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-04-20 01:22:58

Done

Took fucking long enough. Kept having other projects come along and take away from the time i could work out the details. I'm hoping to get better pics of this at some point with a really good camera. Its not easy lighting a 7 foot drawing.

And now i get to start a new one, hooray........ except i only have 1 week to do it instead of 5.

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-04-20 01:28:41

looks great, the effort is visible

how about posting some detail shots? I'm interested in seeing what it looks like up close

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-04-20 12:12:24

It seems you forgot the breasts.

No mate, no.

BBS Signature

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-04-20 14:52:24

I have this feeling that you need to rub some of your own fecal matter on the space next to his buttocks

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-04-20 14:54:07

wow, that is really impressive. I think i speak for everyone when i say i can't wait for a high-res shot :D

At 4/20/09 12:12 PM, JoeTheToucan wrote: It seems you forgot the breasts.

you may be shocked to discover that not all naked people on the internet are women. weird huh?

some people get them, some people don't;

BBS Signature

Response to Big Honkin Drawing (w.i.p) 2009-04-20 19:57:01

At 4/20/09 01:28 AM, tmkunt wrote: how about posting some detail shots? I'm interested in seeing what it looks like up close

The thing is off my wall at the moment, and I'm not about to go through the 10 minute process of putting it back up. When it goes up in the show its meant for I'll take some closeups.

At 4/20/09 06:25 AM, Leidolfr wrote: bigger than I'll ever do [im way too lazy] but, yeah, thats awesome. I heard some people sying go heavier on the shading, pss. i think its perfect, besides, they didnt have to shade all that, dont listen to them

the shading could be darker IF it were in a place that was spot lit. The point of these is to show sort of an isolated figure in a space without actually showing the space its in. The suggestion is that this space is clean and white, so naturally there would be white reflected light sort of through out the piece. If it were say to take place in a candle lit basement then yeah the shading should be darker. My goal isn't to make a convincing figure - space relationship, but more to address the psychological aspect of the negative space in relation to a figure and its actions. The hardest part is coming up with poses that work with this idea. Someone jumping around in a dynamic pose wouldn't make sense in a vacant white space, because it would be to much activity and require some sort of grounding or other reference points to stop it from just looking like a gesture study. The same would apply for extremely dramatic lighting. Putting huge contrasts would imply that the figure is directly spotlit and that they are in a dark area and wouldn't allow the figure and negative space to fit together as one cohesive subject.
(I have to start writing my artist statement for this project, can you tell)

At 4/20/09 02:52 PM, Fleshlight wrote: I have this feeling that you need to rub some of your own fecal matter on the space next to his buttocks

This is one of those pieces that depending on its location and position a whole shit load can happen to it that will change the meaning. Because its such a stark piece any tiny little addition of a detail (such as a small darkening around the ass area) could open up a whole new world of implications. Interestingly i'll be showing this one right next to another piece of mine where the person is crouching on all fours, if I'm not careful about their placement it might look like this guy just got raped.