00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips

2,635,802 Views | 29,794 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-28 12:31:39

Check it out, I'm the second to get 5k medal in Extreme Building Runner.

I didn't really find there was any sort of difficulty curve, but I did have a much easier time of it when I figured out it's not a game of reflexes, but is instead a game of pattern recognition. Certain buildings always have the same obstacles in sequence when they show up after each other, and the quicker you can recognize what comes where, the easier time you'll have of it.

Also, using the Hyper boost is absolutely necessary if you want to get this medal in less than half an hour, but you need to be aware that each time you use it, your runner will settle a few pixels further to the left of the screen, and after you've used it 9 or 10 times you won't be on the screen at all when in Hyper mode, and will be half off the screen in normal mode. You can't enable Hyper boost unless you're on the ground, but that's probably obvious.

Don't know why I played the game today, just had nothing better to do. And now I never have to play it again. Excelsior!

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Back my puzzle/adventure story mashup

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-28 12:38:17

At 12/28/10 12:31 PM, DiMono wrote: Check it out, I'm the second to get 5k medal in Extreme Building Runner.

Oh hey, look at that. I didn´t even know I was in the highscores. Probably got there on my 3000m run when I got the 2.5km medal.
Also, you CAN enable Hyper Dash in the air, but your speed won´t go up until your on the ground so that would be pretty pointless. :P

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-28 12:46:39

At 12/28/10 12:31 PM, DiMono wrote: Check it out, I'm the second to get 5k medal in Extreme Building Runner.
Don't know why I played the game today, just had nothing better to do. And now I never have to play it again. Excelsior!

Sick, I got that medal like an hour ago. I killed myself right after getting the medal because I didn't feel like playing any longer, but you sure have a nice score there sir! Like you said the game is all about pattern recognition, there are like 2 spots where you really need to time your jumps well, and all it takes is just to stay focussed for 15 minutes.

I also like the fact that there is always a cheater with 1000x more points then the others. Those guys are so damn awesome!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-28 14:16:01

At 12/28/10 12:25 PM, ugolegend94 wrote: new game!
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/55 7660

This should be pretty fun.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-28 15:25:58

At 12/28/10 06:20 AM, Phenom9 wrote:
At 12/28/10 01:29 AM, Fooliolo wrote:
At 12/26/10 01:56 AM, Bobogoobo wrote:
So much work you probably had there. What for? I just visit all games that I haven't got all the medals and don't visit the games I already have (link colours' different). It provides minimal organization and little work. It's not like this medal thing will take me anywhere... Also, there are more games where the medals don't show in the page such as Pyroscapes.

I don't know about you, but while I do try to play each game to completion, sometimes I just get bored of it, or I get frustrated by certain medals. I make it a point to come back later; try again some other time. I also have two machines on which I can attempt to get NG medals, and I notice many differences for some of the games I try.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose =)

If what you say about Pyroscape is true, it appears that the list of borked games is true, then it appears that the "infection" is growing, because they weren't borked when I did my initial scouting of games.

Does anyone know what's up with the game "Blasting Agent"? It appears to have point medals, but when I click the link from Nijsse's medal wall, it says "No such game exists". My initial thoughts were that the game was blammed a long time ago, or that someone goofed.

Medal Games in a Nutshell: a general overview of how to earn NG medals!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-28 15:40:04

The medals for both Pyroscape games are, indeed, not visible. Also, Blasting Agent is still available (link here), but due to some glitch it links you to a submission with an insane ID, which I think must be reported (see pic).

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-28 15:40:31

At 12/28/10 03:25 PM, Fooliolo wrote: Does anyone know what's up with the game "Blasting Agent"? It appears to have point medals, but when I click the link from Nijsse's medal wall, it says "No such game exists". My initial thoughts were that the game was blammed a long time ago, or that someone goofed.

Any flash that gets blammed, gets a Eulogy.(Or most of it, I would assume.)
It's probably just a broken link.

Insert useless information.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-28 16:07:04

I've just discovered this amazing glitch in paronormal shark activity. In some way, the shark at the start didn't spawn, and I can get unlimited points. I think it has something to do with how you jump, or not jump, on the first platform. Should I submit my score (more than 6.300.000)? Or would that ruin the scoreboard.

Also, eagle #0

The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.

Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-28 16:09:05

At 12/28/10 04:07 PM, Knuckstrike wrote: I've just discovered this amazing glitch in paronormal shark activity. In some way, the shark at the start didn't spawn, and I can get unlimited points. I think it has something to do with how you jump, or not jump, on the first platform. Should I submit my score (more than 6.300.000)? Or would that ruin the scoreboard.

Also, eagle #0

Oops, just thought of that there is no way to die, so I can't submit my score. Ah well, at least I got 2 100 point medals.

The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.

Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-28 17:19:04

Easy way to get the " Aquaman" medal in Paranormal Shark Activity is stay all the way to the left in the water when the shark is on the right side of the screen.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-28 18:03:54

Pikanjo seems to have an unapproved medal from a game called "Heist".

$$$ | Strawberry Dodge | Abusive Reviews! | Sig by TheDingo

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-28 18:06:20

Why haven't this game had it's medals approved? It a good game.. Weird.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-28 18:44:44

At 12/28/10 05:19 PM, EdyKel wrote: Easy way to get the " Aquaman" medal in Paranormal Shark Activity is stay all the way to the left in the water when the shark is on the right side of the screen.

I may be alone on this, but fuck Paranormal Shark Activity. The controls are atrocious when you're in the water, completely failing to register jumping half the time. Some platforms let you land on their edge, some don't. Some platforms randomly slide you to the left when you need to run on them. Unsticking yourself from a grass platform? If there's another grass platform immediately following, you're going to run onto the second one rather than jumping. If you're in the water on the left and you get an alert about a shark on the left, you're dead; you can't ever get far enough right to escape the shark. And sometimes the shark randomly goes farther than usual when biting, which means there's no reliably safe place to be when it does that.

So fuck this game. Unless someone comes up with a reliable way to make the shark fail to appear, I'm never playing it again.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-28 21:26:22

At 12/28/10 06:44 PM, DiMono wrote:
At 12/28/10 05:19 PM, EdyKel wrote: Easy way to get the " Aquaman" medal in Paranormal Shark Activity is stay all the way to the left in the water when the shark is on the right side of the screen.
I may be alone on this, but fuck Paranormal Shark Activity. The controls are atrocious when you're in the water, completely failing to register jumping half the time. Some platforms let you land on their edge, some don't. Some platforms randomly slide you to the left when you need to run on them. Unsticking yourself from a grass platform? If there's another grass platform immediately following, you're going to run onto the second one rather than jumping. If you're in the water on the left and you get an alert about a shark on the left, you're dead; you can't ever get far enough right to escape the shark. And sometimes the shark randomly goes farther than usual when biting, which means there's no reliably safe place to be when it does that.

So fuck this game. Unless someone comes up with a reliable way to make the shark fail to appear, I'm never playing it again.

You should give it another try. It's not hard. Yes, there are a few problems with the controls, and the platforms, and multiple crappy ones that appear one after another, but often times that stuff won't bother you. Just don't look for exact precision in this game and you should do alright.

Some useful tips:

I found it useful, at least early on, to do bunny hops, with little to no use of the direction buttons. You can easily jump onto nearby platforms that way, and easily rack up to a 50 combo that way. For sticky grass platforms just stay still and constantly jump until you get off of them - and don't panic. When the shark disappears try to stay in the middle of the screen, and go towards the opposite direction of the warning sign when it appears. If you get stuck on one side of the screen and the shark is coming, throw a bomb, or bombs just before you think it will appear. The shark won't be able to harm you, and it will then disapear, leaving you time to head towards the middle of the screen. Lastly, the only time you can jump out of the water is when you're near a platform.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-29 01:00:03

Hey, you know how level 19 is the hardest one in Tentacle Wars?

Here you go

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-29 06:29:37

At 12/29/10 01:00 AM, DiMono wrote: Hey, you know how level 19 is the hardest one in Tentacle Wars?

Here you go

Looks good. To be honest, I really hate that game. I barely understand how it works. If the author just would've included an instructions section...

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-29 14:16:21

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-29 15:10:33

At 12/29/10 02:16 PM, supergamer500 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/55 7736
new game!

Heh, this guy could easily create a new Pokemon game. Anyway, those were some fairly easy medals.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-29 15:18:59

Insert useless information.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-29 15:22:00

At 12/29/10 03:18 PM, Vandal2 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/55 6866
Medals have been approved.

Finally! Time to whore out these medals.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-29 18:04:48

At 12/29/10 02:16 PM, supergamer500 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/55 7736
new game!

Was going to make a quick walkthrough, but found a good one in the comments section.

Do not view my page, you will not be able to handle my avatar.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-29 19:09:51

At 12/28/10 01:29 AM, Fooliolo wrote:
At 12/26/10 01:56 AM, Bobogoobo wrote: Is there a certain method you guys use to find new games with medals (and zero-point medals)? I'm making myself an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of every medal game (including zero-point; unfortunately the guide listed on Wylo's page seems to be somewhat out of date) and my medal progress (has anyone else done something similar?), and it would be very useful to have a way to find new games by myself. I ask here because I asked Wylo the same and he said he gets them from here :P. Thanks for any help.
I have made myself my own personal Excel spreadsheet, but it does not include zero-point medals. It basically lists all the games found on this page, point values, secret medal counts, whether I finished the game or not. I've color-coded it so that I know which games are not really games (Streetfighter collab), games that are in progress, games with hard-ass medals in them (Avoidal's 200 star streak and generally some "perfect" medals), and grinding/monotonous medals (OCD+, Super Switcher's max rank medal).

I pretty much did the same, but I didn't separate secret medals and I don't color-code. I usually remember if there's a reason I haven't gotten the last couple medals on a game, but I left a column for comments.

As for games that sneak in medals long after it has been submitted to the portal? I just browse the page in its entirety every few days or so. Any links I have not clicked on my laptop will be readily apparent. It's how I got the White Mage Christmas medal without anyone telling me.

I'd do the same, except I have Firefox automatically clear my history every time I close it :P. I don't really want to turn that off so this thread is just about as good for finding out about new ones. I also do the same as Fooliolo, don't always get all the medals in one go, so this is a good way to see which ones I need to revisit.

Seems like there are at least three games where the medals refuse to display when you are viewing the game's page. They are Riskful Thinking, Fig. 8, and Enough Plumbers. Anyone confirm this?

I noted these on my list, I think this should be a complete list: Blasting Agent, Enough Plumbers, Fig. 8, Pyroscape, Pyroscape 2, Riskful Thinking, and Toss the Turtle. Anyone know why this happens?

(Hope the quote things are done right, I'm not very experienced with NG forums and why is there no preview <_<)

See my news post with medal hunting links and tools. I made a program NGMedals that finds your statistics and unearned medals.

There is also a browser script.

Maintainer of the Top Medal Point Users List and API Mod - feel free to PM with any issues.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-30 00:10:11

I just wanted to ask to anyone what moment you received the secret medal `Collection` for that game? That's when you finished the game or it was when you found the last stuff? I just need this information before I decide to clear the data of my game and try again possibly.

And...

Recently the medals got points, anyway they do not show up.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-30 00:27:02

At 12/30/10 12:10 AM, Kauvin wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/55 7030
Recently the medals got points, anyway they do not show up.

They had points from the start, they just never shown up on the game's page. Other than that, most of them seem to work properly, so far.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-30 02:56:15

Easy points in domination mode for "Squadron Auriga". All you need to do is build up some of your base defense turrets and then wait a few hours as they rack up points for you. Odd thing is is when I leave the pause/option menu during the game the medals pop up - after I get the required point amount, that is.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-30 03:39:42

At 12/26/10 01:56 AM, Bobogoobo wrote: Is there a certain method you guys use to find new games with medals (and zero-point medals)? I'm making myself an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of every medal game (including zero-point; unfortunately the guide listed on Wylo's page seems to be somewhat out of date) and my medal progress (has anyone else done something similar?), and it would be very useful to have a way to find new games by myself. I ask here because I asked Wylo the same and he said he gets them from here :P. Thanks for any help.

I pretty much did the same, but I didn't separate secret medals and I don't color-code. I usually remember if there's a reason I haven't gotten the last couple medals on a game, but I left a column for comments.

I noted these on my list, I think this should be a complete list: Blasting Agent, Enough Plumbers, Fig. 8, Pyroscape, Pyroscape 2, Riskful Thinking, and Toss the Turtle. Anyone know why this happens?

(Hope the quote things are done right, I'm not very experienced with NG forums and why is there no preview <_<)

People collecting 0 point medals is a mystery to me tbh. I understand that they may change to point medals later on, but unless you just want to make the largest medal wall with the most medals possible, I don't understand why you'd go through the effort of getting them. They're just eagle scout brownie points to me, and they're not worth 20% of whatever point medals are worth.

About the secret medals, those tend to drive me bonkers more than anything. I'm much less likely to come back to an incomplete game with a true secret medal or two (no clue whatsoever, in-game or out-of-game in the immediate vicinity) than a game with a hardass medal. With secret medals, you're not even sure if you're making progress. Hence why I keep track of secret medals separately. Otherwise, I just do what you do: remember things, and make comments.

I might shoot off a PM to PsychoGoldfish (apparently the person that brought the medal system to us in the first place, if my understanding isn't flawed) or liljim (t3h master coder) regarding the issues that have been brought to light.

~~~~~~

Guess I'll ask here for a little help on a few medals... it's more about technical issues than me being a clueless idiot...

--The "wait forever" medal on OCD+'s (medal addict) "S.H.U.T." game is problematic. I don't think the newgrounds servers are going to wait 10+ hours for me to get my medal, and I've tried a few things to get it pushed through, such as loading another game with medals, but to no avail. Trial and error obviously takes too long. Is there a real way to get this one at the moment?

--I'm missing four medals in Primary. Three of them are just plain broke or something, because I did get over 5k points (including crayons), I did take 1000 steps (according to the statistics page), and I did kill the final boss without dying (but not the first try). Does anyone remember anything special on how to get these? I'ma try a few things tomorrow, but I'm not crossing my fingers...

--Pinball medal on Road of the Dead is driving me crazy. I've gotten everything else, so I'm not exactly incompetent. What do?

--Portal Defenders (oh so nostalgic) Nose Diver medal is broke for me. I've died on all 5 "waves", then I tried dying to every enemy set (for example in wave 4, died to the two mods, died to the three mods, died to Stamper+Jeff). Still not working. Why jebus why? What do you actually have to do to get it?

Medal Games in a Nutshell: a general overview of how to earn NG medals!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-30 03:47:11

At 12/30/10 03:39 AM, Fooliolo wrote: --The "wait forever" medal on OCD+'s (medal addict) "S.H.U.T." game is problematic. I don't think the newgrounds servers are going to wait 10+ hours for me to get my medal, and I've tried a few things to get it pushed through, such as loading another game with medals, but to no avail. Trial and error obviously takes too long. Is there a real way to get this one at the moment?

The trick here is to right-click and keep spamming 'forward' and 'back'. For some reason this will make the time go faster.

--I'm missing four medals in Primary. Three of them are just plain broke or something, because I did get over 5k points (including crayons), I did take 1000 steps (according to the statistics page), and I did kill the final boss without dying (but not the first try). Does anyone remember anything special on how to get these? I'ma try a few things tomorrow, but I'm not crossing my fingers...

Primary medals have been broken for a VERY long time. Don't strain yourself to get those medals, as you won't get them anyways and the author is too lazy to change a thing.

--Pinball medal on Road of the Dead is driving me crazy. I've gotten everything else, so I'm not exactly incompetent. What do?

My guide could help you with that.

--Portal Defenders (oh so nostalgic) Nose Diver medal is broke for me. I've died on all 5 "waves", then I tried dying to every enemy set (for example in wave 4, died to the two mods, died to the three mods, died to Stamper+Jeff). Still not working. Why jebus why? What do you actually have to do to get it?

The last method you mentioned is the one that should be working. I have no idea why it wouldn't work.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-30 04:00:04

At 12/30/10 03:39 AM, Fooliolo wrote: Guess I'll ask here for a little help on a few medals... it's more about technical issues than me being a clueless idiot...

--The "wait forever" medal on OCD+'s (medal addict) "S.H.U.T." game is problematic. I don't think the newgrounds servers are going to wait 10+ hours for me to get my medal, and I've tried a few things to get it pushed through, such as loading another game with medals, but to no avail. Trial and error obviously takes too long. Is there a real way to get this one at the moment?

There's a glitch for that game you can use to your advantage to get the medal faster. Just right click the mouse and click forward and back a bunch of times to speed up the timer.

I'm not sure about the rest, but many of the problems, and solution, to certain medals have been discussed somewhere in this topic. Hopefully, someone remembers more on them than I do.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-30 07:15:02

How can you get through level 6 in 'Squadron Auriga'. The weaker waves don't help, they all still kill the sniper.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-12-30 10:02:21

Nvm.. Just went through all of the monsters and made the shot with a few hp left! :D