New Topic Respond to this Topic
Ismael92
Ismael92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 7th, 2009 @ 11:21 PM Reply

At 3/7/09 10:30 PM, sionglim wrote: Wow! Great thread. But there's only 2 games that offer medals. Kinda dissapointed tho.

That's because the medal system is new. In the future, this feature will be available to all developers! So there will be lots of games with medals.

Right now, it seems that this is the next game which will get medals:

We just have to wait. And while you do so, why not play any of the current games which have this feature?

Wylo
Wylo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 03:13 AM Reply

For everyone who has the Adblock problem, add the following Exception Rule and it should work for both pop-up and nonpop-up:
@@|http://www.ngads.com/

Bobogoobo
Bobogoobo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 03:20 AM Reply

Is there anywhere besides this topic where there is a list of games with medals? Will there be one when there are more games with them? Will the medal points do anything?

See this news post for information on a program that does all kinds of neat things with medal statistics.

Wylo
Wylo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 03:58 AM Reply

At 3/8/09 03:20 AM, Bobogoobo wrote: Is there anywhere besides this topic where there is a list of games with medals? Will there be one when there are more games with them? Will the medal points do anything?

I've decided to keep a list of games with medals on my profile.

xports
xports
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 06:39 AM Reply

At 3/8/09 03:58 AM, Wylo wrote:
At 3/8/09 03:20 AM, Bobogoobo wrote: Is there anywhere besides this topic where there is a list of games with medals? Will there be one when there are more games with them? Will the medal points do anything?
I've decided to keep a list of games with medals on my profile.

Also, check Zerok's second post in this thread. He mentioned a collection with all medal-enabled games in the works for the near future.

Now with 100% more Steam! lI Minecraft you say? 63.246.149.6 II XBL: WorseThanMonday II

BBS Signature
Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 07:11 AM Reply

Anyone got any tips for completing Level 12 of Alkie without losing any health? The barrel rolls seem very random and I find it hard to work out the best time to jump from one of the ladders to get to the switch. And usually once I've hit the switch and got the box, and then hit Kong with it, I end up falling right to the bottom floor where usually a moltie or a barrel gets me straight away. =(

Help please!

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
jonthomson
jonthomson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 11:13 AM Reply

is it possible to escape from wadolf's shoopdawoop style laser thing if it hits you? it caught me once on the first playthrough as i wasn't expecting it, then got spammed with it whenever i got back up

SiXFouR.668 EU

BBS Signature
Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 11:49 AM Reply

At 3/8/09 07:11 AM, Gagsy wrote: Help please!

Uh, that one was basically all timing and patience for me. The barrel rolls are actually fairly consistent, I found. They come quickly though. When I beat it, I had accidentally elevated the leftmost moltie to the higher platform with the lift. At first I thought I had screwed myself but it turned out that it was much easier to do the necessary bottom-level traversing with that bugger out of the way.

Zerok blog: PM me if you like music | My (retired) webcomic: Pizza For Guys

SlashFirestorm
SlashFirestorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Animator
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 11:59 AM Reply

At 3/8/09 11:13 AM, jonthomson wrote: is it possible to escape from wadolf's shoopdawoop style laser thing if it hits you? it caught me once on the first playthrough as i wasn't expecting it, then got spammed with it whenever i got back up

You can try to wiggle out of it in the split second between standing up and getting hit again (just hold down the button and you'll make a tiny bit of progress), but if you're stuck in the middle of the attack's range, you're pretty much at his mercy. And Wadolf has no fucking mercy. :'(

Slash's call
was absorbed
by the darkness.

BBS Signature
Ismael92
Ismael92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 12:29 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 11:59 AM, SlashFirestorm wrote:
At 3/8/09 11:13 AM, jonthomson wrote: is it possible to escape from wadolf's shoopdawoop style laser thing if it hits you? it caught me once on the first playthrough as i wasn't expecting it, then got spammed with it whenever i got back up
You can try to wiggle out of it in the split second between standing up and getting hit again (just hold down the button and you'll make a tiny bit of progress), but if you're stuck in the middle of the attack's range, you're pretty much at his mercy. And Wadolf has no fucking mercy. :'(

Yes this is one alternative. But also, in the split second after standing up, you have enough time to throw a bomb. So if Wadolf is close enough you'll be able to hit him, that way the laser will stop and you'll have enough time to run away :)

Cheers!

Wylo
Wylo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 12:36 PM Reply

At 3/7/09 09:39 PM, Aryk wrote: Also, I'm trying to kill 20 zombies, but by the time I've killed about 12, Wade's health is depleted all the way. Help?

Don't hit Wadolf? Well to be exact, hitting him only once will cause him to teleport. So whenever he gets too close, just hit him once, and you can go back to fighting horde.

At 3/8/09 07:11 AM, Gagsy wrote: Anyone got any tips for completing Level 12 of Alkie without losing any health? The barrel rolls seem very random and I find it hard to work out the best time to jump from one of the ladders to get to the switch.

Yes, he throws barrels randomly, you just have to see them coming. The best time to jump from top of ladder to platform is when Alkie is not facing in your direction and the moltie is near the switch. There is always a delay between Alkie turning and him throwing a barrel.

And usually once I've hit the switch and got the box, and then hit Kong with it, I end up falling right to the bottom floor where usually a moltie or a barrel gets me straight away. =(

You should just jump back to the ladder after hitting Alkie. Then jump to middle platform, then take other ladder up. This way, you never have to go on the bottom floor.

You can try spamming down the bomb button to throw a bomb in Wadolf's direction. If it hits, it'll break his beams stream. This will only work if you are in the proper bomb range, of course.

Ismael92
Ismael92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 01:52 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 01:37 PM, speeling wrote: I thought I saw that Psycho Goldfish had one for Thing-Thing Arena 3. It was something columbine/using pistol x3 award. I checked back later, but it wasn't there.
I was probably just seeing things.

Everyone saw it, there are even screenshots of this. Probably the game's medals were just being tested, and now he removed the award from his profile. So we should expect Thing Thing to get the medals soon :)

Boxxy
Boxxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 02:02 PM Reply

13/21 medals in portal defenders.

8/16 medals in alkie kong 2.

The medals in alkie kong 2 are just insane. Beating brutal mode with no deaths? That's just impossible... unless you cheat.

The Saiyans are a true ham and cheese sandwich, DON'T UNDERESTOMATO!

Boxxy
Boxxy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 03:28 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 01:37 PM, speeling wrote: I thought I saw that Psycho Goldfish had one for Thing-Thing Arena 3. It was something columbine/using pistol x3 award. I checked back later, but it wasn't there.
I was probably just seeing things.

It was 50 kills with a single beretta.

The Saiyans are a true ham and cheese sandwich, DON'T UNDERESTOMATO!

Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 06:45 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 11:49 AM, Zerok wrote:
At 3/8/09 07:11 AM, Gagsy wrote: Help please!
Uh, that one was basically all timing and patience for me.

Ha, this is totally advice for level 9, not 12.

M'bad.

Sir-Nuts
Sir-Nuts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 06:52 PM Reply

Hmm, interesting thread. I'll post here more often, as soon as I finish catching up on some threads here. =)

I already got all the medals in Portal Defenders. But Alkie Kong 2... wow. What a hard game.

Bloodman101
Bloodman101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 07:34 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 06:52 PM, Sir-Nuts wrote: Hmm, interesting thread. I'll post here more often, as soon as I finish catching up on some threads here. =)

I already got all the medals in Portal Defenders. But Alkie Kong 2... wow. What a hard game.

Yeah, that game is so frustrating... Almost beat level 15 without damage and then I fall of a ledge... YAARGHGH1111!!!1

I hope Thing-Thing gets some medals soon! :)

DocSprite
DocSprite
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 08:02 PM Reply

FUCK, plzdontban is Portal Defenders is FUCKING HARD. Why did Luis have to purposely pick all the mods who have long level icons?

xports
xports
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 09:26 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 08:02 PM, DocSprite wrote: FUCK, plzdontban is Portal Defenders is FUCKING HARD. Why did Luis have to purposely pick all the mods who have long level icons?

My strategy is to run straight up and down. That way, as you pass, the moderators swing and hit each other. Also, if you can get them lined up, try to get one of the moderators to use their "banned" move. That does a nice amount of damage.

In fact, I use that strategy for just about every wave, and it seems to work. It's also better to use a faster character such as Dan if you try this.

Now with 100% more Steam! lI Minecraft you say? 63.246.149.6 II XBL: WorseThanMonday II

BBS Signature
Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 09:38 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 08:02 PM, DocSprite wrote: FUCK, plzdontban is Portal Defenders is FUCKING HARD. Why did Luis have to purposely pick all the mods who have long level icons?

The level icons aren't always reflective of the user... I thought it was the case at first too. They did purposely give the mods a nice long reach though (they trade off some damage though... mod melee attacks are rather weak).

xsports there gave the best advice, IMO. Jumping vertically through the mob of mods ends up with them killing each other off almost without fail (the long reach betrays them). On the first wave with just Afro and Sard, you can almost always catch one of 'em as he comes out of the door and combo him to death before the other gets there. A single mod is best handled by baiting him into a "BAN!", jumping the wave into his face and then comboing. Always try this if at any time a single mod gets isolated from the pack.

You'll soon find that the mod stage is very easy; you will often get through with only taking 2 or 3 hits.

AlkaSeltzer
AlkaSeltzer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 09:40 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 03:13 AM, Wylo wrote: For everyone who has the Adblock problem, add the following Exception Rule and it should work for both pop-up and nonpop-up:
@@|http://www.ngads.com/

Holy shit thankyou.

BBS Signature
Mortikie
Mortikie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 09:41 PM Reply

I think everyone should just get together and create an easy to follow guide specifically for the medals. It would also be nice to have somewhere to go to check which games will be coming out next with medals and possibly get to preview the list if you want just so you can get some early practice.

Kinda like Xbox360achievements.org, except it will be for medals. I'm all for creating a site (One of the cheapo free ones) for this, but I don't want to do the work if no one else is going to bother using it.

Bloodman101
Bloodman101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 09:44 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 09:41 PM, Mortikie wrote:
Kinda like Xbox360achievements.org, except it will be for medals. I'm all for creating a site (One of the cheapo free ones) for this, but I don't want to do the work if no one else is going to bother using it.

They're creating a collection of medal games soon.

Mortikie
Mortikie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 09:46 PM Reply

No, I don't mean a list of games that have medals in them, but a site for guides to get the medals, and news on what games will be updated or released with medals before it actually happens.

Ismael92
Ismael92
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 09:54 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 09:46 PM, Mortikie wrote: No, I don't mean a list of games that have medals in them, but a site for guides to get the medals, and news on what games will be updated or released with medals before it actually happens.

But if there are guides to get the medals then it's no fun. The medals in some way "rate" how good you are when playing games. But if you're stuck or need any help with a specific medal, you can come here and ask us ;)

And news on games which will have the medal system is kinda pointless, why would you want to practice early? You can do it when they get the medals, that way you'll get them while you practice ;)

Oh god I should stop using text emoticons at the end of each sentence :/

Mortikie
Mortikie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 10:07 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 09:54 PM, Ismael92 wrote:
At 3/8/09 09:46 PM, Mortikie wrote: No, I don't mean a list of games that have medals in them, but a site for guides to get the medals, and news on what games will be updated or released with medals before it actually happens.
But if there are guides to get the medals then it's no fun. The medals in some way "rate" how good you are when playing games. But if you're stuck or need any help with a specific medal, you can come here and ask us ;)

And news on games which will have the medal system is kinda pointless, why would you want to practice early? You can do it when they get the medals, that way you'll get them while you practice ;)

Oh god I should stop using text emoticons at the end of each sentence :/

Just throwing ideas out there. And guides don't really ruin the fun unless you go to a guide first and play through the game like that right away... but sometimes it gets really frustrating getting stuck on a challenge that, for some reason, you just can't get past. A guide would simply keep the same questions on the same medal from popping up and cluttering the thread. You just go to the guide. But like I said, I'm just throwing ideas out.

Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 10:24 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 10:07 PM, Mortikie wrote: A guide would simply keep the same questions on the same medal from popping up and cluttering the thread.

That's something that can easily be organized and maintained on an NG blog. I'm sure someone, someday, will do this. MAYBE IT'LL BE YOU!

The downside is it can't be a total group project (unless you can trust the members of the group with the account's password).

For now, we've got this thread. Once medals become more common I'll see how effective this thread is in providing help. Chances are it'll evolve into discussion about the latest games to come out with medals and preliminary tips about them. I can see this becoming cluttered and redundant though. We shall see, we shall see.

Bloodman101
Bloodman101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 10:26 PM Reply

Any tips on Kitty Krew Killa with no damage?

Bloodman101
Bloodman101
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 10:38 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 10:26 PM, Bloodman101 wrote: Any tips on Kitty Krew Killa with no damage?

Or the Pbot minigame? I keep getting like 75%.
lol.

SlashFirestorm
SlashFirestorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Animator
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 10:46 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 10:26 PM, Bloodman101 wrote: Any tips on Kitty Krew Killa with no damage?

In the first group, just get them in one group and juggle like mad. Don't get too close to them, or you risk being hit. As for the boss fight, stay away from BigFuzzyKitten and let his yarn balls kill off him and his buddies. Don't be afraid to use bombs to kill them from a distance, but it's not really necessary.

At 3/8/09 10:38 PM, Bloodman101 wrote: Or the Pbot minigame? I keep getting like 75%.

Make sure you're in one of the corners when the second wave ends, preferably the upper left. Immediately go down to the bottom of the screen, then turn and head right until the percentage meter goes up. At that point, head upwards, then turn right again and repeat. You should get 100% with a few seconds left.

Slash's call
was absorbed
by the darkness.

BBS Signature