00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

hbag just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

[talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest

8,686 Views | 125 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-03 22:14:49

I don't believe in Valentines day, but I believe in groovy aliens. ETHICAL DILEMMA

Freedom of Speech: Priceless, for everything else there's MasterCard

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-03 22:30:58

At 2/3/09 10:14 PM, Vousielle wrote: I don't believe in Valentines day, but I believe in groovy aliens. ETHICAL DILEMMA

Do you believe is awesome Newgrounds merchandise?

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-03 23:33:20

At 2/3/09 10:30 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
At 2/3/09 10:14 PM, Vousielle wrote: I don't believe in Valentines day, but I believe in groovy aliens. ETHICAL DILEMMA
Do you believe is awesome Newgrounds merchandise?

No, I suspect it is a myth.

Freedom of Speech: Priceless, for everything else there's MasterCard

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-04 18:42:25

No, I suspect it is a myth.

Cmon, I know you WANT to take a part in this contest :P
Think of all the mythical NG merchandise...

Anyway, WIP (to keep the thread busy :P) - colored the aliens. Still a long way to go, since the background needs to stand out, and let's not even talk about shading...

Now I wonder if I chose the colors right...

Sure, we all share one thing. We will all die sooner or later. Thank god.

My art thread, starting from pg 18

See all my crap in larger, smexier images! (DeviantArt)

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-04 23:44:27

Basically, whenever I used to draw anything in photoshop, I'd trash it RIGHT when I finished coloring because I SUCK at it. Coloring and shading isn't done. Once I'm finished with coloring/ shading, I MIGHT redraw the outlines and blend it in with the color.

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-05 04:40:35

Undersea Love :3

Rough copy, need to smooth-en it out, and photoshop it ^__^

Enjoy~

NDC: 2011 ~ Twitter ~ Artwork ~ ©JKA

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-06 22:41:47

Thanks. =]

can i draw in a sketch pad because my tablet was taken

keep ur friggen eyelids down

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-06 23:14:19

At 2/6/09 10:41 PM, gassyturtle wrote: can i draw in a sketch pad because my tablet was taken

Sure, just make sure you post a clear scan of the finished thing... 'cuz if we can't see it, we can't judge it :P

Do you guys really hate valentine's day? ...aliens? ...or is this just a crappy topic/theme? (I picked it, so I won't be surprised! lol)

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-06 23:23:31

At 2/6/09 11:14 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:
At 2/6/09 10:41 PM, gassyturtle wrote: can i draw in a sketch pad because my tablet was taken
Sure, just make sure you post a clear scan of the finished thing... 'cuz if we can't see it, we can't judge it :P

Do you guys really hate valentine's day? ...aliens? ...or is this just a crappy topic/theme? (I picked it, so I won't be surprised! lol)

um what are you looking for when your judging so maybe i can try to apply it to the peice

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-07 06:58:52

Not really, I don't hate V-day. It just doesn't have a place for me, sending cards & stuff.
And everybody loves aliens, right?
Aaaand the topic/theme can't be bad since I took my part in it :P

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-08 16:32:32

At 2/6/09 11:23 PM, gassyturtle wrote:
um what are you looking for when your judging so maybe i can try to apply it to the peice

Each of the judges will weight the different aspects of each piece differently. Having multiple judges we each bring our own ideas as to what should win to our judging the contest.

If you were to personally ask me what I'm looking for (I know you were asking ReNaeNae, but I'm here right now) I would say; the quality of the art, the creativity of the piece, how well it fits into the theme of the contest and how much it appeals to me personally.

This month I'm going to be focusing a lot on how the ENVIRONMENT looks and how interesting and creative that is, since most of our previous contests focused mostly on the thing that was central to the piece (the pet, the sprite, the vending machine... etc.).

--

Also: What the fuck people? Where are all the entries? Was my example too lame? Was our theme to complicated to grasp or too stupid or what?

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-08 17:24:54

Also: What the fuck people? Where are all the entries? Was my example too lame? Was our theme to complicated to grasp or too stupid or what?

People are feeble minded & lazy, you ought to know that. Or, possibly people are nowadays just too damn emoistic to take a part in something related to Valentine's day :E

So I'd say the theme was anything but stupid, it actually even made me think a bit before making my pencil to smoke :P

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-08 17:58:32

Polygamist Planet so far :D
Gonna flash it up later.

My Art ISU. Tell me what you think.

DeviantFart

YOU WANNA SEE SOME GOOD ART!? Well then you shouldn't click here.

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-09 12:32:11

Hey ya'll, just wanted to see if it was okay or not to use actual characters before doing any more work on this. Anyone like Toejam and Earl by any chance?

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-09 14:45:35

At 2/9/09 12:32 PM, AwesomeSaurus wrote: Hey ya'll, just wanted to see if it was okay or not to use actual characters before doing any more work on this.

Don't know, but I'm guessing its fine.
Crap opinion time; I think your background (and the orange blob bloke a lil bit) could do with toning down to make the main two stand out against it.

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-09 15:04:33

At 2/9/09 02:45 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
Don't know, but I'm guessing its fine.
Crap opinion time; I think your background (and the orange blob bloke a lil bit) could do with toning down to make the main two stand out against it.

Thanks TOAS! Yeah I definitely see what you mean, I went overboard with the high value colors, but thats what its like in the game, but like you were saying it doesn't really go as well in an actual picture. So I think I will bring them down quite a bit, maybe make it less cartoony like the game and more realistic.

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-09 18:15:32

At 2/9/09 12:32 PM, AwesomeSaurus wrote: Hey ya'll, just wanted to see if it was okay or not to use actual characters before doing any more work on this. Anyone like Toejam and Earl by any chance?

I fucking love that game man, and that pic looks pretty tight
finish that awesomeness up

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-09 20:28:35

At 2/9/09 12:32 PM, AwesomeSaurus wrote: Hey ya'll, just wanted to see if it was okay or not to use actual characters before doing any more work on this. Anyone like Toejam and Earl by any chance?

Looks like we had the same basic idea! lol As for your characters ...at this point, I think anything goes ;)

I don't plan on doing anymore with this, so... whatever. I'm done.

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-09 20:41:08

At 2/9/09 08:28 PM, ReNaeNae wrote:

Looks like we had the same basic idea! lol As for your characters ...at this point, I think anything goes ;)

Haha, didn't mean to cramp your style! But cool beans, i'm gonna put some more work into it, and finally finish a freakin' contest entry for once.

Well, I think it looks pretty complete to me, very clean and colorful as usual!

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-09 20:44:02

And you just had to kick everyone here in the nuts, did you? That is great, in it's purest & simplest form :P I love the chair design, as an added detail I doubt many would have done such a complex looking chairs.

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-10 06:54:42

I'm not exactly sure where I was going with this. I guess I was shooting for "even horrifying otherworld creatures can have their souls crushed"

I may or may not finish this.

I used to be relevant.

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-10 17:54:30

This is my second submission, a work in progress, which will never get finished on time.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-11 01:16:55

This is all I have about now... I think I've spent about 3-4 hours total on it? I'm trying my best to color it. I'm going to add a background next, and the main color will be green. Any tips or suggestions?

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-11 17:31:03

ok ive been busy these past couple days but im not done so far i got the overly rough sketch of the guy weirdo alien and a better final sketch that im going 2 do over in pen so leme post both of them um 1st the overly rough sketch........

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-11 17:38:05

i hpoe when im done with my peice its good enough 2 atleast be one of the top 5 sorry my tablet got taken

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-12 02:20:47

I'll have a go at this if i have the time.

And im going to do it in MSpaint,because i can.

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-12 08:22:25

This is y my Valentine's day art work.

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-12 08:54:41

At 2/12/09 08:22 AM, Fandito wrote: This is y my Valentine's day art work.

Figures, but it is not related to the contest, now is it?

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-12 14:06:57

The WIPs look great, keep at it, people!

There are only a couple of days left, I'm hoping for more entries to make the judging interesting. I'm also wanting to keep these monthly contests going, so user interest is pretty important.

BBS Signature

Response to [talk] Intergalactic V-Day Contest 2009-02-12 14:59:02

Here is a preview of mine. I'm pretty much finished the Faces, but I'm now working on the bodies.

I can't wait to finish it!
Good WIPs everyone, and finals.

Lots of competition!
-Matt