00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

onlinetoxicity just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion

48,565 Views | 996 Replies

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-07 15:11:28

At 12/7/08 02:00 PM, BatDan wrote: Honestly Rooby the reason this place has gone to Hell and back in a Handbasket is mainstream popularity of the site.

Well yeah that's completely true. We were here back in the day when it was first starting to gain some momentum. Back when the overflow of 13 year olds were just 8 or 9 at the time and we pretty much had this place to ourselves. All we can to is set a standard I guess so that when the 13 year olds grow up and if they're still here, maybe they'll be respected regs someday.

¤´¨)

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)

(¸.·´ (¸.·`¤[Rooby.22's Tunes]

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-07 15:14:09

At 12/7/08 02:24 PM, JohnnyWang wrote:
At 12/7/08 02:14 PM, whatty wrote:
No really. Try pronounce that. It's impossible.
Ok, are you fucking with me or what? It's a typo, big whoop.

Take it easy there. Just a bit of banter. Jeez!

Twas only a laugh.

Weak Men are Hard on Others while Strong Men are Hard on Themselves.

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-07 15:26:19

At 12/7/08 03:02 PM, yurgenburgen wrote: I just noticed Wtfyourface nominated me for Most Underrated user. Nice.

This is news to me.

asdf

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-07 15:36:15

Some more raw data; this time from this year's mid-year vote.

2008 MIDYEAR WINNERS

Funniest User - LOLZILLA & AshfordPride

AshfordPride won Funniest User in 2007 along with Master Creator (tied with BlueFlameSkulls). LOLZILLA has also gotten his share of nominations in past years and even this year.

Attention Whore - Gothclawz

This one may or may not be a flavor of the month award winner. He's gotten a couple of nods at the end-year nominations, but there's a couple of names that are getting thrown out there more (although a lot of those names were also nominated mid-year).

Drama Queen - WadeFulp

Wade won the same award in 2006. I guess in his defense he's doing his job. No real mention of him as much this year though compared to others, so I guess only when he puts information out do people notice him.

Never Logs Off - ZeroAsALimit

Only ZAAL and Maus have ever won this award, with ZAAL winning it 3 times and Maus once. Of course now Maus is rather inactive (last post [that can be seen by the general public] was 9/4/08, but her profile does state she'll "brb").

I Miss You - bigbadron

ron won this same award back in 2005 alongside DanMalo. If he wins this year he joins Denvish as the only person to win this award twice. Also, Livecorpse is the only non-mod to win this award in 2004.

Best Artist - BlueHippo

BlueHippo won Best Poster last year. He also has been getting plenty of nods since 2006 for various categories so I wouldn't doubt to see him win again this year.

Master Creator - Elios

He might take it again at the end of the year as he's getting a decent amount of attention in the nominations thread.

Midyear Rookie of the Year - MoriChax

Maybe it's a sign of how Newgrounds views new users that she seems to be racking up nominations by the barrel for the year-end competition too. I guess there's few newer users known, or maybe she actually is a good rookie.

Most Improved - HotActionYiffFur

HAYF won 3 of the worst awards you could win in 2006, only to then win most improved in 2007, and again in the mid-years. I think that qualifies as "improvement."

Biggest Spammer - Mendou

Mendou was 2007 Rookie Of The Year. Unfortunately it seems that the Rookie Award is where up and coming posters go to die as most of the winners are either inactive or now unknown. Tough break I guess.

Most Overrated - HotActionYiffFur & WilliWowza

I guess improving your posts is so outdone. Or maybe HAYF tying Maus for most BBS awards is a sign of being overrated. Funny enough is that both of these guys have won this before (3006 and 2007 respectively).

Most Underrated - Batdan

Again; another person getting a lot of nominations at the end of the year. Although isn't that the oxymoron of this award? Well good luck with the Most Known Unknown Person Award.

Best Mod - Zerok

I think he's onto something since he did win the award in 2007. Too bad he sucks so much lol.
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Worst Mod - Figmentum

He hasn't gotten too many nominations this time around as compared to other mods. Honestly I'm still scratching my head as to why he's a bad mod (inactivity?).

Worst Poster - TomsPulp

I wonder if he'll be known enough to win it at the end of the year after getting deleted? This award seems to signal the end of your posting career too; well except Zen444 who won in 2006 and now posts in VG forums mainly, or WeedClock who posted the other day (first time in like a year).

Best Poster - Gfoxcook

Gfox is still getting some nominations for the end of the year. Maybe he can go the whole year strong; only time can tell.

One of the trends I'm seeing is that the awards do not follow the entire year, as a lot of the people nominated in large numbers now were never mentioned in the mid-years. You also cannot throw out the idea that some mid-year winners are being nominated just due to the fact that people reviewed that thread and used it to fill some gaps. Of course there's always the trends of mods being noticed more for specific awards or ZeroAsALimit winning, but for the most part it really seems that people stick to big events or decently-sized events that just recently happened. Maybe it's a flaw of the system or maybe it's just how things go.

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-07 15:39:13

At 12/7/08 03:26 PM, Britkid wrote: Consider it.

You and Tramps and whoever else wants to independently tally nominations: go for it.

However, I wouldn't "officially" start until about 1-2 days AFTER the nom thread gets locked, because I may want to delete posts if I figure out that they're not legit, etc.

Hopefully, since we're just looking for the top 5 in each category, we'll have good agreement rates; an exact count isn't actually necessary (to agree upon). When I lock the nomination thread I'll post something to the effect of what I just posted here... and ask for independent talliers to PM me their results whenever they get around to it. I will impose some sort of deadline, FYI.

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-07 15:41:44

who the fuck actually misses that fucking prick BBR? i sure as hell dont

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-07 15:46:35

At 12/7/08 03:41 PM, MissingNYC wrote: who the fuck actually misses that fucking prick BBR? i sure as hell dont

I'm still pulling for GumOnShoe, but by the looks of things, he's got like 3 votes.

Now with 100% more Steam! lI Minecraft you say? 63.246.149.6 II XBL: WorseThanMonday II

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-07 15:48:11

One of the trends I'm seeing is that the awards do not follow the entire year, as a lot of the people nominated in large numbers now were never mentioned in the mid-years. You also cannot throw out the idea that some mid-year winners are being nominated just due to the fact that people reviewed that thread and used it to fill some gaps. Of course there's always the trends of mods being noticed more for specific awards or ZeroAsALimit winning, but for the most part it really seems that people stick to big events or decently-sized events that just recently happened. Maybe it's a flaw of the system or maybe it's just how things go.

It made me think of an alternative way that could be used to influence how people vote and nominate. Basically every year, all year round, you have a group of people who find the threads that show off a user who is acting in a way that exemplifies one of the awards and you make a list of those threads/users. At the end of the year, you release that list of threads for people to look at so they can browse through people who are being shown and they can make a decision that way.

The problems with that are that it would be a ton of work, we don't know who is 'qualified' to find those threads and say that anyone in them exemplifies an award, a lot of people would not look at all the examples and choose one of the first ones, and people can change during the year i.e. someone who represents one award in January can represent a different award in December, and the list for each category would just be too big to browse through. I doubt there is a solution to the problem of people only voting based on recent events, but it's just something I thought of while reading.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-07 16:08:19

At 12/7/08 03:41 PM, MissingNYC wrote: who the fuck actually misses that fucking prick BBR? i sure as hell dont

I do/agree, we hate him when we have him, but we love him when we don't have him. It's a love/hate relationship I guess.

Fuck you.

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-07 16:16:55

Oh crap, I fucked up my nominations. Instead of putting Ross as I Miss Yew I put Rob. Whoever tallies the nominations, plz change that pour moi, thanks.

You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü

"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-07 16:23:26

At 12/7/08 02:39 PM, Timmy wrote:
At 12/7/08 02:35 PM, Zerok wrote: It's easier to catch alts that way.
Oh crap. *runs away*

Wow, I never even thought about that...

Founder of the Asian Users club

Member of the Super Smash Bros.Crew since page 58. SSBB friend code: 3265-4812-7128

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-07 16:27:40

At 12/7/08 02:00 PM, BatDan wrote:

Honestly Rooby the reason this place has gone to Hell and back in a Handbasket is mainstream popularity of the site.

At 12/7/08 03:11 PM, RoobyKillAll wrote:

Well yeah that's completely true. We were here back in the day when it was first starting to gain some momentum. Back when the overflow of 13 year olds were just 8 or 9 at the time and we pretty much had this place to ourselves. All we can to is set a standard I guess so that when the 13 year olds grow up and if they're still here, maybe they'll be respected regs someday and...

HEY YOU LITTLE FUCKING SHITS STOP PLAYING WIT' THAT DAG-NABBED BALL ON MA' LAWN

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-07 16:30:50

At 12/7/08 04:23 PM, kRaZyAzN wrote:
At 12/7/08 02:39 PM, Timmy wrote:
At 12/7/08 02:35 PM, Zerok wrote: It's easier to catch alts that way.
Oh crap. *runs away*
Wow, I never even thought about that...

Little do people know that I have created an elaborate collection of high-profile alts to not nominate myself for any categories.

muahahaha!!!

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-07 16:33:32

At 12/7/08 04:30 PM, Timmy wrote: Little do people know that I have created an elaborate collection of high-profile alts to not nominate myself for any categories.

If they're on the same IP, then you're fucked, still.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 10:39:20

so yeah
vote me for more underrated :P

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 10:46:47

At 12/8/08 10:39 AM, MissingNYC wrote: so yeah
vote me for more underrated :P

Why is the underrated category the one that is always whored out? Everyone who does it manages to get more votes than they really should and they look like a jackass at the same time. These awards bring out the worst in some people.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 10:51:50

At 12/8/08 10:46 AM, 36Holla wrote: Why is the underrated category the one that is always whored out?

Because out of all of the awards it's probably the one that most people feel they deserve. =)
Buncha narcissistic pricks.

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 11:10:27

Well my nominations are done, Zerok what i said is true!

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 11:24:27

At 12/8/08 11:10 AM, LampFace wrote: Well my nominations are done, Zerok what i said is true!

Back I am.

Bitches.

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 12:45:22

At 12/5/08 11:24 PM, MercatorMap wrote:
At 12/5/08 10:53 PM, Twilight95 wrote:
At 12/5/08 10:51 PM, RacistBassist wrote: If only there was a "Pretentious asshole who thinks he's better then everyone for no apparent fucking reason"
Then we'd all vote MercatorMap.
Such a conclusion could only be deduced if the person had known me prior to 08.

You don't need to have signed up before 08 in order to figure that one out, cockfag.

Fabulous~

Monster Count: 2999 - Countdown to 3000

DO ANY OF YOU BOYS LIVE IN VIRGINIA?!

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 12:50:17

At 12/8/08 12:47 PM, MercatorMap wrote: Oh the irony.

Unless that particular user is obsessed and has looked through my entire post history, then one would not be able to tell otherwise.

GjjjG

Monster Count: 2999 - Countdown to 3000

DO ANY OF YOU BOYS LIVE IN VIRGINIA?!

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 12:55:04

At 12/8/08 12:47 PM, MercatorMap wrote: Unless that particular user is obsessed and has looked through my entire post history, then one would not be able to tell otherwise.

And you bet your ass I'm not doing that. Nothing wrong with being a pretentious dick here especially towards losers who deserve it. Always thought MercatorMap was alright.

Man all this award bs has sparks flyin lol

¤´¨)

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 12:57:48

At 12/8/08 12:55 PM, RoobyKillAll wrote:

The results thread is usually where the drama gold takes place. This is just the pregame. ;)

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 13:00:51

At 12/8/08 12:57 PM, Zerok wrote:
At 12/8/08 12:55 PM, RoobyKillAll wrote:
The results thread is usually where the drama gold takes place. This is just the pregame. ;)

Yeah I noticed last year but it wasn't as big last year. How many weeks are left until tallying? At least something cool is happening around here to check in to.

¤´¨)

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 13:05:28

For every asshole mod that falls, two more take his place.

It's like a hydra, cut one head off you get three.

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 13:34:35

At 12/8/08 01:30 PM, Tramps wrote: Britkid can take Master Creator as to not make it seem like I'm cheating ;) haha.

Make sure you throw a few extra in there for me okay.

¤´¨)

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 13:38:33

At 12/8/08 01:00 PM, RoobyKillAll wrote: Yeah I noticed last year but it wasn't as big last year. How many weeks are left until tallying? At least something cool is happening around here to check in to.

I'll shut down the nomination thread on the 12th or so, and hopefully have the voting thread up within a week of that. Then that stays open until... say... the 28th? Why not.

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 13:55:23

IF i get Master Creator, does this mean i have to make moar topics that are even more interesting/epic/humorous than the ones i have previously made?

Ugh...it's gonna be a long new year lol

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 14:02:24

At 12/8/08 01:57 PM, Tramps wrote: You might have to reconsider me doing the counting up on the 28th. I'll have far too many toys to care about Newgrounds polls, haha. I'll see what I can do, but it still is a busy time. I'll PM you if I can.

I'll help out anyway i can. No work this week, and i have too much spare time. PM anytime if anyone needs anything.

Do what now...?

BBS Signature

Response to 2008 Bbs Awards: Discussion 2008-12-08 14:03:40

as much as i've been called a camwhore/attention whore, i'm disappointed that i'm lacking nominations in that category :<

"when i'm good, i'm good...but when i'm bad, i'm better."

BBS Signature