00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YvesKirio just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Photography

134,932 Views | 1,889 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Photography 2006-09-16 13:39:58

I've seen threads for all kinds of art, but so far nobody has uploaded any photography! Most of my work is photos, recently my hard drives died and all that is all I had backed up. So, if you have any photographs then upload them and I'll leave you feedback

This is for a college surrealism project..

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 13:41:46

This one was taken last week, wasn't overally happy with the shoot but I've had some decent feedback so far..

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 13:45:36

Where is this rule? The rules for the art forum is to submit art, photography is art, I dont see the problem.

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 13:49:17

Family vacations are the perfect opportunity for photos. This was taken on my Nikon.
F/6.9 8mm 400 1/167ss

Photography

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 13:52:25

At 9/16/06 01:49 PM, jmtb02 wrote: Family vacations are the perfect opportunity for photos. This was taken on my Nikon.
F/6.9 8mm 400 1/167ss

The sky is really clear for the shutter speed, whenever I take a photo in daytime the sky always turns out overexposed. I like the photo though, its very calm, and the composition is good.

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 13:56:30

is this an Offcial photography thread?

Yeah but this is a guy who sits behind me on the bus

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 14:02:51

At 9/16/06 01:52 PM, Zach wrote: The sky is really clear for the shutter speed, whenever I take a photo in daytime the sky always turns out overexposed. I like the photo though, its very calm, and the composition is good.

What can I say, I am shutter speed whore :). Thanks for your comments.

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 14:04:17

Look at all the little freshmen

I have a really shitty like 100$ camera

Make: Vivitar
Model: Vivicam3915
Shutter Speed: 1/383 second
F Number: F/3.5
Focal Length: 8 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 14:07:02

I agree, holidays are great places to take some good photos. Yea im new at this photography

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 14:08:42

At 9/16/06 02:07 PM, fuzz wrote: I agree, holidays are great places to take some good photos. Yea im new at this photography

Wow, great photo. The gradient of light is awesome.

Only flaw I see is that nasty lens flare on the top right portion of the picture, which is kind of destracting.

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 14:12:25

At 9/16/06 02:04 PM, Truth wrote: Look at all the little freshmen

I like this, theres a good mix of movement and still life.

I agree, holidays are great places to take some good photos. Yea im new at this photography

It's a good photo, strong feeling of height, the way the picture gets lighter at the top helps it. I would say add a green layer above with the blend mode Hue, or color. That way the picture will just be black, white and green. That is if you have photoshop..

This is a photo I took a few days ago, I like it simply because the black is black and the blue looks smooth.

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 14:12:59

At 9/16/06 02:08 PM, jmtb02 wrote:
At 9/16/06 02:07 PM, fuzz wrote: I agree, holidays are great places to take some good photos. Yea im new at this photography
Wow, great photo. The gradient of light is awesome.

Only flaw I see is that nasty lens flare on the top right portion of the picture, which is kind of destracting.

Thanks yea i suppose i could always try and play around with it in photoshop. (all my posts are untouched photo's FYI)
Another:

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 14:15:35

Oh good!
Unfortunately I don't have any digital copies of my photography work but I'll have to scan them in at school (I'm into my second year of photography at sixth form).
Hopefully by tuesday I should have some pics for yaz!

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 14:17:45

Golden Gate Bridge.

I just wished the lighting was a bit better, but it gives it a sort of industrial feel otherwise. This was taken before I knew much about photography (which I still don't, but what the heck).

F/6.9 6mm 400 1/115ss

Photography

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 14:18:06

Wow, mostly when i see photography, i usually argue that it isn't art, it's just about being in the right place at the right time and the size of your camera. In my opiniopn, anyone can go to hawaii and take a nice picture of some palm trees, but zach, you really put a skill into photography.

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 14:23:51

You're thinking of holiday photography. Taking a truly artistic photograph is just as hard as painting or sculpting a piece of art.
Any photographer who just happily snaps away without any true cause won't get very far.

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 14:25:40

At 9/16/06 02:18 PM, Jesus wrote: Wow, mostly when i see photography, i usually argue that it isn't art, it's just about being in the right place at the right time and the size of your camera. In my opiniopn, anyone can go to hawaii and take a nice picture of some palm trees, but zach, you really put a skill into photography.

Thanks! I do try and put effort into the photos, these are all for a surrealism project and I dont think I can take a snapshot of a clown decapitating someone, so I've got to set it up.

Golden Gate Bridge.

Really good contrast between the colours, and the angle is perfect for the height, the bolts going upwards look great.

I'm into my second year of photography at sixth form

Me too, kind of, I'm doing a btec with a-level photography. Starting back on monday, so in a last minute rush to print photos off.

Due to the 4 post limit I feel like I should upload something everytime I post, but I'm off out now so I'll just post one more :) I uploaded it to another thread earlier but never got any feedback.

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 14:29:30

Nice photos Zach, well, everyone really, but I really liked your first surrealism pic. I am meaning to buy a camera. We had a lecture on cameras, shutter speeds , lighting and so on on my media moving image course the other day and it got me intrested.

Wow nice photos too Fuzz(again, everyone, but these specifically for..) The second one reminds me of how I imagine the Beach in 'the Beach(book)' to look. If you look at the cliffs in the centre of the picture, I imagine these to be the ones they jump from. Infact if there was a beach to the left rather than all the trees this would be very much dead on. Where is that?

WEBSITE

BLOG ~ Dont fuck around with my dog. All that I can see I steal. ~

NG FFR ~ Automatic for the people.

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 14:50:46

Nice photos Zach, it really shows other people that photography is art too. Especially that last one.
I'm not really a photograper myself, but I like making a few shots every now and then:

Photography

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 15:48:39

At 9/16/06 02:23 PM, Jickson wrote: You're thinking of holiday photography. Taking a truly artistic photograph is just as hard as painting or sculpting a piece of art.
Any photographer who just happily snaps away without any true cause won't get very far.

I disagree. It doesn't take a skilled person to decide what looks nice. I bet if you put a skilled photographer with a non trained person at the niagra falls, both with similar cameras (assuming the non trained person has had time to read the manual and understands how to use the camera), both people could come up with equally good photos.

The non trained person could go around looking at the waterfall at all different angles and take a variety of photos from each angle. They're pretty mich guarenteed to come up with a good photo, equally as ood as a trained person.

Although i do agree that photography is an art if you're actually arranging the thing you're photographing (like in Zach's photos). But there is absolutely no skill in photographic a site.

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 16:24:28

At 9/16/06 03:48 PM, Jesus wrote:
I disagree. It doesn't take a skilled person to decide what looks nice. I bet if you put a skilled photographer with a non trained person at the niagra falls, both with similar cameras (assuming the non trained person has had time to read the manual and understands how to use the camera), both people could come up with equally good photos.

The non trained person could go around looking at the waterfall at all different angles and take a variety of photos from each angle. They're pretty mich guarenteed to come up with a good photo, equally as ood as a trained person.

Although i do agree that photography is an art if you're actually arranging the thing you're photographing (like in Zach's photos). But there is absolutely no skill in photographic a site.

Thats kind of what I'm saying, just going somewhere beautiful and taking photos is never going to be great (anyone can do that), but planning a shot, with a meaning behind it will provide art, as apposed to just photos. There are a great deal of factors that need to be taken into account when taking a photograph for the purposes of art. Of course anyone can just take a photo and CALL it art, but those people are dickheads.
Real photography needs to go beyond the photo. It is the photographers imagination that makes the photo a piece of art. And that where the skill comes in, how can a photographer show imagination and emotion through a photograph without a degree of skill.

Of course it doesnt take a skilled person to decide what looks nice, but it does take a skilled person to take a photograph that looks nice and has a purpose, as any good peice of art should have.

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 16:29:47

I really like your photos Zach, though I don't quite get the blue one -- has it got a theme or was it just taken for pleasure?
Your first pic is my favorite, I bet gettin all that newspaper onto the wall was a bitch!

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 16:32:29

At 9/16/06 03:48 PM, Jesus wrote: stuff

But thats the point it takes an artist to know where to take a photo, what angle will look good. Your basicly saying if a pro-photographer sett up a shot then an amature pressed the button to take the photo. Of cource an artist must have the tools like an amature may not have a great set of paints etc.
So sorry i disagree with you :D
Also who cares if someone can make something good to look at it doesnt matter if they were a pro or not.

<3

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 16:37:24

Im gonna get into photography what camera do you suggest for $300-$350?

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 16:50:31

At 9/16/06 04:37 PM, III-D wrote: Im gonna get into photography what camera do you suggest for $300-$350?

ive got a Sony CyberShot DSC-W30 i got it for my birthday (i also spent some of my own money) But yea its a great camera for begginers and gives out high quality shots.. I dont know how much it is in dollars because as much as i try to get to google.com to find $ results it directs me back to google.co.uk :/
have a look

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 16:56:23

Cybex, you have to understand the equipment that makes it art. The skill to taking a nice photo lies deeper than just finding a nice place pointing and clicking, it's all little intricate things like Shutter speed, lighting, contrast etc. Theres also even more things deeper that are more related to the production of it.

I forgot the name of technical cameras.. we were talking about them the other day in college. I'm thinking CCD or CRS.

WEBSITE

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 16:58:40

At 9/16/06 04:24 PM, Jickson wrote: Thats kind of what I'm saying, just going somewhere beautiful and taking photos is never going to be great (anyone can do that), but planning a shot, with a meaning behind it will provide art, as apposed to just photos. There are a great deal of factors that need to be taken into account when taking a photograph for the purposes of art. Of course anyone can just take a photo and CALL it art, but those people are dickheads.

Oh right, in that case i'm agreeing with you. It's just i know someone who travels a lot and takes loads of photos that look good because the place he went looked nice. And he thinks he's really good at photography. He's a dick.

At 9/16/06 04:32 PM, fuzz wrote:
At 9/16/06 03:48 PM, Jesus wrote: stuff
But thats the point it takes an artist to know where to take a photo, what angle will look good. Your basicly saying if a pro-photographer sett up a shot then an amature pressed the button to take the photo. Of cource an artist must have the tools like an amature may not have a great set of paints etc.

No, i think an ameteur could find a spot just as nice as a pro. You just walk around a place looking at the object you're photographing and analysing each angle. Then you decide the best spots, take a few photos at many angles from the best spots and then out of all the photos you've taken you choose the one that looks the best.

The only reason that professional photographers' photos look better than a tourists photo is because they spend more time finding the perfect spot and angle to take the photo. Generally a tourist just sees a view he likes and takes a photo. That doesn't mean the tourist is less able of spending the time and effort to find the perfect spot.

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 17:03:36

At 9/16/06 04:56 PM, Mogly wrote: Cybex, you have to understand the equipment that makes it art. The skill to taking a nice photo lies deeper than just finding a nice place pointing and clicking, it's all little intricate things like Shutter speed, lighting, contrast etc. Theres also even more things deeper that are more related to the production of it.

Ok, but things like shutter speed and stuff are the sort of things that an ameteur could read about and learn what it does and then test it out and you're just as good as a pro. I know i'm probably acting really naively, but i just can;t see a skill in this sort of thing (unless you also arrange the shot you're taking).

Sorry if i've offended anyone, its just an opinion.

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 17:07:06

Response to Photography 2006-09-16 17:40:20

At 9/16/06 05:03 PM, Jesus wrote: Ok, but things like shutter speed and stuff are the sort of things that an ameteur could read about and learn what it does and then test it out and you're just as good as a pro. I know i'm probably acting really naively, but i just can;t see a skill in this sort of thing (unless you also arrange the shot you're taking).

Don't take my examples to be the exact definition. There are alot of variables when it comes to picture taking. It's really hard to understand this when you just don't know, so seriously I don't mean this as rude ATALL :).

I see your point though. I'll be able to go more indepth soon when I know more about it.

WEBSITE

BBS Signature