00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Crypticfauna just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

musical theory

3,108 Views | 51 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to musical theory 2006-06-15 10:42:36

At 6/15/06 10:37 AM, Rucklo wrote: Did anyone finnish reading what I just wrote, or did I write for the fishes? :)

I did :)

Response to musical theory 2006-06-15 10:56:35

At 6/15/06 10:27 AM, -ZENON- wrote:
At 6/15/06 08:16 AM, MaestroSorrow wrote: That is again unless you consider the 5 minute C note, a song.
Your not a fan of club music, eh? :P

I dont see how anyone can be.

Response to musical theory 2006-06-15 11:01:33

At 6/15/06 10:42 AM, CptnJarrrrrydn wrote:
At 6/15/06 10:37 AM, Rucklo wrote: Did anyone finnish reading what I just wrote, or did I write for the fishes? :)
I did :)

<3 u cptn :D

arrrghh

Wakka wakka

Response to musical theory 2006-06-15 11:44:06

Yeah i'm with rucklo, tho if someones trying to conform to a genre in the AP n doesnt match it perfectly i'll tend to tell them whats wrong/different about it, both mean the same thing really. Like i'd want to be told if i was trying to make something but gettin stuck somewhere along the way.

Response to musical theory 2006-06-15 20:56:11

At 6/15/06 10:27 AM, -ZENON- wrote:
At 6/15/06 08:16 AM, MaestroSorrow wrote: That is again unless you consider the 5 minute C note, a song.
Your not a fan of club music, eh? :P

Or Blink 182 :P

Book of Anima 22:32 " Do not profane my awesome name. I must be acknowledged as awesome by the Newgrounders. I am the LORD of music, who makes you awesome."

BBS Signature

Response to musical theory 2006-06-15 21:11:54

At 6/15/06 01:27 AM, xXDathDalerXx wrote: what makes a song?? emotion

This man is correct.

Music is a form of art, the purpose of art is to capture mindsets of any period of time, including today, by the artist; to inflict a spectrum of emotional values, which are then deconstructued and reconstructed in the viewer's mind based on the viewer's values, and the viewer inteprets the art.

Art is about individualism, but it is also about the opinions and expressions of that artist that makes art worth someone's time, is the infliction of his emotional values. An artist can decide to make nothing, something without emotional value, thus, not worth anyones time.

Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|

94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature

Response to musical theory 2006-06-15 21:35:35

Music? What is music? Music is the expression of one's self through a group of instruments. Music is a story with no words. Music is the black canvas you stare at and invision whatever you can see. Music is someone putting their soul, their passion, into an explosive sound and sharing their feelings with others.
Music is different to all. Some people see it as an outlet for anger. Some for messages against a society, a person, a government, etc. Some see it as a way to express love, emotions. Some see it as something to get hyped up to. In 3 short words..

Music is good.

Response to musical theory 2006-06-15 22:30:50

dude... 4'33"...
that's all I have to say...

BBS Signature

Response to musical theory 2006-06-16 00:19:07

4'3"3" is a a wonderous, and cleansing piece of music. If you dont get it, then bugger off.

Response to musical theory 2006-06-16 01:25:48

Let's see... shall I weigh in on this as well?

OK - although the topic is "Music theory" it seems that this is more of a philo debate than anything else...

Let's see then, here's my definition of "what is music"

The audial representation of an idea or expression conveyed to others in a repeatable format that is subjectively judged by the listener to have a pleasing quality.

If it doesn't meet those req's then I suppose it's noise - to that particular listener.

There are two key words in that definition:
Audial and Subjective

Problem seems to be that although you can define "music" you cannot quantify "good music". No matter the style some will love it and others will act like your running your nails down a chalkboard.

case in point: speedcore**

Now, I believe that Triskele mentioned that he could actually help discuss theory - any others? Instead of debating our personal preferences, maybe it would be a much better idea for someone to actually post a few bits of actual theory - almost like an online class ... sort of ... we might actually learn something from each other.

Naaaahh... forget that - it's much more fun to sling bullshit at each other. :D

** is anything playing at somewhere between 500 and 1000 bmp really music to anything other than a hummingbird?

BBS Signature

Response to musical theory 2006-06-16 11:30:11

Pretty interesting thread...Good idea, LJ...I knows some stuffs about Music Theory. Any questions, and I will try to answer them : )

Response to musical theory 2006-06-16 12:28:01

At 6/16/06 11:30 AM, MusicalRocky wrote: LJ...I knows some stuffs about Music Theory. Any questions, and I will try to answer them : )

Yah, that's cool - I've sat through enough theory classes already, I'm not sure that I personally need another one but I'm suer there are planty of people here that might find it interesting.

I'm of the mind that theory should be exactly (and only) that - theory ... Too often though it seems that some peeps confuse theory with cold hard fast rules that must be adhered to at any and all cost... After all what better way to celebrate an artform than to do everything possible to restrict creativity right?

If it sounds good then I say it's a solid chuck of music - regardless of how closely it adheres to what some people might consider a theoretically sound composition.

I heard this one song one time - it was probably the most awesome music I've ever heard in my life... I can't remember who performed it but it changed the way that I think about music and life in general... It was a sold C that played for 5:00 straight... it was mind blowing... :D

BBS Signature

Response to musical theory 2006-06-16 12:46:36

I think anyone who makes music comes up with his own theory based on who he is. And it's really based around the opinion of art.

BBS Signature

Response to musical theory 2006-06-16 13:38:55

My definition of music would be:

"A sound someone would want to listen to."

Ever heard of the saying "That sounds like music to my ears." I know it is form of speach but it contains a core of truth on what music is considered to be by all. Something you would want to listen to, something you'd want to hear. And then not you maybe, but somebody else perhaps would. And it's hard to say, in this wide and diverse world of mankind, that absolutely nobody would like to listen to something you wouldn't consider as music.

Hmm, should I consider animals in this? Because sure, they havent developed it in the same way, but a lot of animals also have 'music' or sounds they make to please others or when they're bored. And in reverse we may consider some of their produced sounds as 'music'.

Ok so perhaps I'm stretching a bit, but it shows how undefined and a wide definition this can be, just like what art is, what life is for that matter.

Life is music to me.

Response to musical theory 2006-06-16 13:45:05

At 6/16/06 12:28 PM, LJCoffee wrote:
At 6/16/06 11:30 AM, MusicalRocky wrote: LJ...I knows some stuffs about Music Theory. Any questions, and I will try to answer them : )
Yah, that's cool - I've sat through enough theory classes already, I'm not sure that I personally need another one but I'm suer there are planty of people here that might find it interesting.

Yeah, maybe.

I'm of the mind that theory should be exactly (and only) that - theory ... Too often though it seems that some peeps confuse theory with cold hard fast rules that must be adhered to at any and all cost... After all what better way to celebrate an artform than to do everything possible to restrict creativity right?

True...I agree with you to a certain extent. Not to stir up anything, but all music uses theory in some way or another, even if the artist has never learned it.

If it sounds good then I say it's a solid chuck of music - regardless of how closely it adheres to what some people might consider a theoretically sound composition.

Indeed.

I heard this one song one time - it was probably the most awesome music I've ever heard in my life... I can't remember who performed it but it changed the way that I think about music and life in general... It was a sold C that played for 5:00 straight... it was mind blowing... :D

A solid C held for five minutes!?!? Holy crap, man. *Leaves to do that on piano* Aw, man. That didn't go so well. Oh, well. Man, that would sound...odd...or maybe "different" is a better word...

Response to musical theory 2006-06-16 13:58:20

At 6/16/06 01:38 PM, MadGiraffe wrote: Ever heard of the saying "That sounds like music to my ears." I know it is form of speach but it contains a core of truth on what music is considered to be by all.

They're called phrases. But it's more of a cliche.

that absolutely nobody would like to listen to something you wouldn't consider as music.

We listen to radio, film and television dialogue, commercials, etc.

It's not because you want to hear it, but why do you want to hear it?

Otherwise, I could listen to anything I want and define it as anything I want.

Hmm, should I consider animals in this? Because sure, they havent developed it in the same way, but a lot of animals also have 'music' or sounds they make to please others or when they're bored. And in reverse we may consider some of their produced sounds as 'music'.

Animals make noises because they were taught to make them, or learned how to by observing their leaders, in both cases are instances of knowledge that is passed down.

They make sounds when they're in danger, or in heat, but do it for their basic survival needs, and they definitely don't do it for entertainment. We'd categorize it as music, because applied to a human; one doesn't just make sounds like a caveman, he uses language, conceptual words.

BBS Signature

Response to musical theory 2006-06-16 14:11:03

At 6/16/06 01:58 PM, Erkie wrote: one doesn't just make sounds like a caveman, he uses language, conceptual words.

Eeuugh, mrrghaarr reuhh uuuhng - iah wrooa eeh aah-maah?
Graah rhaawaa ih mrraah... Rioa ughh ghrama ih graa-baa!!

BBS Signature

Response to musical theory 2006-06-16 15:40:31

This thread is definitely going downhill (or at least straying away from the topic). This thread was supposed to be about Music Theory, not personal definitions of music, people. Let's get back on track. I'll be waiting for those questions to come :)

Response to musical theory 2006-06-22 07:40:59

At 6/21/06 10:44 PM, SadSpoon wrote: just have lots of wierd noises in the background, a driving beat, and in-your-face-bass. keep the melody simple. great songs have been made using 4 notes.

Not necessarily. Hm...Let's see how to put this...I can name probably 300 good songs that don't apply those things. It seems you speak of one or two genres only, and not the whole spectrum.

Response to musical theory 2006-06-22 18:20:33

there r 2 (easy) ways to look at this............i tink :

1. Music is simply a/a group of sound containing a meaning regardless of how dodgy it is, a song will always to sumwat revolve a core idea. MOST of the time it will contain a drive that runs throughout a song, but that is probably because of the complexity humans have arrived at by now.

OR

2. Its just like chicken food for the soul

yes i kno i took that phrase sumwhere.......but tink bout it :p

its sumthin we do NOT need to understand, yet only to appreciate

now, can we get back to theory? exam's in 3 months...........

n i only started from scratch 3 weeks ago.....

cheerios

Response to musical theory 2006-06-22 22:29:26

I could've sworn somebody started a more-than-halfway-decent thread many moons ago in order to educate newgroundsians on basic music theory... but it seems to have fallen from the face of the earth... at any rate, it seems this thread was never actually about music theory, but rather about various theories on music, hence the title describing a "theory" of "musical" nature. Either way, it looks as though this thread has served its purpose, as most responses by this point are essentially identical in meaningless-drivel-ness. Who really gives a crap about the definition of music? It's just there; enjoy it. Anyway, the new music theory thread that is actually about music theory is right over here, in case anyone would like to be redirected.

wow... that's a long ramble... my sincerest apologies.

BBS Signature