Reviews for "From the Dust You Whisper"

Oh man, the dark, malevolent, creeping atmosphere over that droning, rhythmic movement is incredible!

The vocals, synths, horns, strings in the 2nd half all mesh wonderfully.
Driven by persevering percussion, they create a very goosebumpy moment.

Outstanding work!

Phonometrologist responds:

You're going nuts with the reviews, but I'm glad you spent a moment to write one here. Thank you.

hey i'm no insect doctor but i think your music attracts mosquitos because i hear one buzzing by whenever i get to 4:11 in this song

Phonometrologist responds:

I assume you mean entomologist, but bro! Now I can't get that image out of my head when I hear it. Thanks a lot

The first half is some real dark shit and I loved every moment of it. The second half I loved even more. Awesome stuff!

Phonometrologist responds:

I didn't notice the length until johnfn pointed it out. That makes the song even more impressive xD

Phonometrologist responds:

Was it intentional? I cannot say that I do not disagree.

I like the murky atmosphere at the beginning, the vocals in the background, and the gritty industrial-sounding effects that fade in and out. The percussion is cool too, and I like the synth riffs at :48. The texture takes a while to come together, but the ominous mood and atmosphere help keep me engaged. I liked when the beat fell away at 1:38, and the synth arpeggios and airy vibe at 1:50 adds to the sense of intrigue and suspense here. The vocals at 2:18 are really nice, although I’m beginning to lose a sense of cohesion in the structure by this point. The guitar solo towards the end is pretty sweet, and helped give the piece a sort of harmonic dynamism that it was otherwise lacking imo. I still think you could’ve done a tad more to resolve the underlying tension of the piece here, and I’m sure you can anticipate my criticism of the hasty ending. :) Still, I have absolutely no complaints with the mixing, sound design, or atmosphere. I think you nailed the mood and flow of this piece. The piece has a good sense of shape, too, but I think you were still playing it a bit safe with elements of the harmonic content. Overall, though, solid work here, Phonometrologist! Keep it up. ^_^

Mixing, mastering, and balance
2/2
Structure, transitions, phrasing, and variety
1.25/1.5
Melody, tonality, harmony, and texture
1.75/2
Instrumentation and sound design
1/1
Emotion, atmosphere, and catchiness
1.5/1.5
Originality and uniqueness
1/1
Overall (how do the elements above interact?)
.75/1
Composite score
9.25/10

Phonometrologist responds:

Well I cannot say that I disagree with any of it. I appreciate the review as it is all reassuring. This piece still feels a bit odd to me whereas it doesn't quite finish with the same energy as the first minute and a half of the piece. But it has its own character and I've accepted the piece for what it is.
Regarding the harmonic content and "playing it safe." You're probably right. What was on my mind in creating it was making sure I showcase the sample library so it can be used as a demo. Sound design, mixing, and the percussion were the main focus, and the harmonic content wasn't anything I really tried exploring. I'd much rather write a piece that offers something deep and meaningful in terms of the harmonic and melodic content, but this often requires a lot of time interacting and listening to a piece of music to explore its secrets. The theory aspect of music is like a religious experience for me where each individual note plays an important role in finding the next one. I simply couldn't do it here as this was more of an exercise in writing to a specific deadline.