Reviews for "From the Dust You Whisper"

spooky D=

Phonometrologist responds:

For me, large aquariums are spooky.

Oh man, the dark, malevolent, creeping atmosphere over that droning, rhythmic movement is incredible!

The vocals, synths, horns, strings in the 2nd half all mesh wonderfully.
Driven by persevering percussion, they create a very goosebumpy moment.

Outstanding work!

Phonometrologist responds:

You're going nuts with the reviews, but I'm glad you spent a moment to write one here. Thank you.

The first half is some real dark shit and I loved every moment of it. The second half I loved even more. Awesome stuff!

Phonometrologist responds:

I didn't notice the length until johnfn pointed it out. That makes the song even more impressive xD

Phonometrologist responds:

Was it intentional? I cannot say that I do not disagree.

I've always found it fascinating how an artist can make many different styles of music, yet they all contain the signature of the one who made it in some way. Almost as though the music is somehow etched within their DNA. You've crafted myriad themes over the years, yet each one is distinctly you, giving listeners a multifaceted glimpse of the much larger whole.

I have always felt that sharing the music which pours out from one's soul is like offering up a piece of oneself, at least in some small way. That is what makes music so personal and intimate; the sharing of it with others so very profound. Our desire to put ourselves out there becomes stronger than any fear of rejection, and the artist is born. Not simply through the existence of his or her works, but by the acknowledgement of them by others. Why, to hoard them all to ourselves and not allow others to enjoy them would be tantamount to sin!

And so I thank you for each and every time you share, have shared, and will share a piece of yourself with us. The music takes you away from your friends and loved ones, if only for a little while, but that is the sacrifice we make for our art. I acknowledge and truly appreciate what you, and all artists, do. After all, I consider myself to be among your ranks.

I guess that I was feeling textually talkative, so hopefully I can be forgiven for the loquaciousness of my review. All I'm really trying to say is that I very much enjoyed listening to this, your newest musical offering. It is quite different from your usual fare, yet remains innately Phonometrologist-esque at its core. Thank you for the experience, and I wish you and yours all the best.

Phonometrologist responds:

Hey Chrono. Thanks for the cool review. It's really interesting that you say that through the different styles, an artist may still contain their signature in some way. I really don't know what my signature would be. I suppose that's because it's not my focus and I the write music the way I hear it. Philip Glass said in one interview that young composers will seek to find their voice, but the hard part is getting rid of it. As if to say that our own voice is flawed and the true beauty is in the music itself. To capture butterflies in order to analyze them within a case is taking away the essence of what they were created for. As beautiful it may be displayed, it is lifeless. Or in another example, Lord Tennyson wrote in the Lady of Shallot that as soon as the Lady interacted with the outside world, she died. This was a representation to his belief that an artist ought merely to observe the world. When humans try to capture the world's beauty, it immediately gets tainted as we are an imperfect and cursed creature.
On to your next point, I've always taken that view so I cannot agree more with your sentiment. Music is meant to be shared, and I find it to be the job of an artist to let go of any feelings one might have to possess it. And yes, these pieces of music are our babies. It can be awkward to share something that is personal and intimate, but as I previously mentioned, our children cannot be coddled away from others.
And finally, mentioning how we sacrifice time to explore music away from friends and loved ones really touched me, because I really haven't thought about it that way as a sacrifice for me. But it is a sacrifice. My wife sacrifices her desire to spend time with me so I can do this. Staying up late and away from family to do music has been bittersweet. I simply cannot stay away from it for long, and so I am grateful that I have my family to graciously accept that. Even when they don't fully understand it.