Reviews for "It Came From Outer Space"

What possibly possessed you to use such an awful control scheme?

Anyhow, work on your logo too, that look play listen thing was annoying as all hell. If you want to brand, well, you've already got your users bothered.

As for the game itself, well, when I could play it, it was awfully underwhelming. With bullet shooters you want to be quick, tense, this was just... slow and not all that interesting.

Really well done sprite work, though.

RaveRadbury responds:

We agonized over the control scheme for a while, and we thought this one would work best. Apparently not.

It's not a logo, we're not a brand. It was just something we did for fun and atmosphere. The audio was going for an Earthbound quirky feel. Sorry to hear that you found it annoying.

In response to the awful control scheme we've added a menu option to change the layout to whatever you want.

I don't know what to say in regards to the pacing. It sounds like your browser may have been having some trouble, you may want to try playing it in a different one. Aside from that, if you're attacking the boss, you should eventually finding the game's environment getting faster and more intense.

I hope that you can give it another try and have a much better time than you did the first time.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and provide us with feedback.

Nice, but as others have stated, the keyboard controls are a bad choice. It's an unfamiliar setup, and that it force your fingers in a weird twist.

Also, I believe that the space, d & f key inputs interfere with each other, preventing fluid control of the character. If you only play-test with a game pad, you may be unfamiliar with the coding necessary to get kbd input without one key's input signal masking the other. You badly need to look into that, as lack of fluidity is a big turn off for players, specially in a casual browser game setting.

RaveRadbury responds:

Thanks for the feedback! We've added a menu option to change the controls, I hope this improves your experience!

In regards to the physical limitations of keyboards, we spent several hours over a couple of weeks trying to puzzle out how to approach they keyboard controls. There were several suggested schemes that ran into the input signal masking issue, but we only encountered this at 4 keys and higher.

Regardless, it should no longer be an issue, as you can now play with your own custom layout.

Fun idea, but the control scheme is just too weird. I can barely hit all the keys together while playing. I have to agree that the F and D keys are too far off to be used. Down should be duck and Z should be jump and maybe X be fire. Just a thought. Other than that, the graphics and sound were pretty good!

RaveRadbury responds:

A keybinding option has just been added, so you can use that control scheme! Let me know how it works for you!

Ugh, is there any way to turn off automatic controller detection? I want to use Joy2Key not your autodetection for my contorller. I tried to bind my keys together and the game decided to use its own rules and I basically had better control with the keyboard. Which is pretty nuts.

RaveRadbury responds:

The automatic controller detection is going through your browser. Try to disable that maybe, or you could bind all of the keys to one button that you plan to not use, and then Joy2Key everything else. I hope this helps.

Am I the only one for whom this game won't load? I just get a black screen.