00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BoneMarr0w just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My first ever attempt at anime

7,040 Views | 64 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-29 08:24:07

this here is my first ever attempt at a drawing in anime style, it's also my first ever drawing using a computer, and i suck badly at traditional drawing, this was done with the mouse

i'm just looking for opinions, have any?

i never made the bg btw, i dont know who did but it wasn't me

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-29 09:21:12

well if you work at it and practice im sure you can draw good. here's some things that are wrong with your drawing.

1.the face is too oval like and long
2.one of her hands has only thee fingers and is too small
3.her boobs are out of position and sloppily drawn
4.the wrist with the exposed had is indented
5.there's a ring under her neck that doesn't have anything do with her shirt
6.one of her arms has a straight part like you just used the line tool
7. all the outlines have different thickness
8.her neck is long and skinny
9.she has no nose
10.her mouth is to far up her face
11.the hole thing, for the most part, was sloppy

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-29 11:05:06

At 8/29/08 08:52 AM, doberman7 wrote: What program did you make this in?

Plus, its not too bad, but could do with a bit of working up on maybe?

yeah, i know, this was just like 10 mins work, but i dont have any fancy schmancy programs, i used macromedia flash mx 2004 (brush tool)

At 8/29/08 09:21 AM, RandomRandy wrote: well if you work at it and practice im sure you can draw good. here's some things that are wrong with your drawing.

nothings perfect

2.one of her hands has only thee fingers and is too small

yea, hands are my weak spot, they end up looking like paws

it is a roughish drawing, but the breasts look ok to me, i didn't want to draw them huge, thats not what anime is about

my mouse sometimes makes the pointer go wonky when i try to draw a straight line (odd considering it's an optical mouse)

5.there's a ring under her neck that doesn't have anything do with her shirt

thats a basic drawing of a necklace

thats the only time i could get a straight line when using the brush tool, when i never wanted a straight line to be there

dont blame me, blame flash for not adjusting brush size in accordance to zoom level

it's not supposed to be like that?

9.she has no nose

she does, but it's damn near impossible to see thanx to jpeg conversion

10.her mouth is to far up her face

is a bit isn't it?

it's spelled "whole", it may be sloppy, but i think it's pretty damn good for a first try

thanx for your opinions :)

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-29 17:37:52

well, this is my second attempt, i think i'm getting better? but i'm no artist so i dont know, this was done out of sheer boredom

is it better than my first?

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-29 20:20:22

At 8/29/08 05:37 PM, flashman16 wrote: well, this is my second attempt, i think i'm getting better? but i'm no artist so i dont know, this was done out of sheer boredom

Absolutely, you're definitely moving ahead somewhere =)

Omg

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-29 20:41:35

At 8/29/08 08:20 PM, THEBEASTKING wrote:
At 8/29/08 05:37 PM, flashman16 wrote: well, this is my second attempt, i think i'm getting better? but i'm no artist so i dont know, this was done out of sheer boredom

Absolutely, you're definitely moving ahead somewhere =)

heh, thanx!
i might just make more then ;-)

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-29 22:03:52

Overall, nice look, but alot of weird looking parts.
Work a bit more on details like hair and stuff k? :D

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-29 22:21:48

At 8/29/08 11:05 AM, flashman16 wrote: yeah, i know, this was just like 10 mins work, but i dont have any fancy schmancy programs, i used macromedia flash mx 2004 (brush tool)

Stop making excuses, and if it only took 10 minutes, work harder on it instead of asking for criticism when you're not even going to try.

At 8/29/08 11:05 AM, flashman16 wrote:
At 8/29/08 09:21 AM, RandomRandy wrote: well if you work at it and practice im sure you can draw good. here's some things that are wrong with your drawing.

nothings perfect

Well, it's still too oval and long.

it is a roughish drawing, but the breasts look ok to me, i didn't want to draw them huge, thats not what anime is about

Size isn't even what he's talking about, they're plain out of place. Also, animes have a lot of girls with huge breasts, even when they're supposedly teenagers.

my mouse sometimes makes the pointer go wonky when i try to draw a straight line (odd considering it's an optical mouse)

Then go back and do it again until you get it right.

thats the only time i could get a straight line when using the brush tool, when i never wanted a straight line to be there
dont blame me, blame flash for not adjusting brush size in accordance to zoom level

Then redraw in it until you get your consistent flash outline. Otherwise just use the line tool.

No.

it's spelled "whole", it may be sloppy, but i think it's pretty damn good for a first try

It's okay as a first try, but why does everyone attempt anime? Why not attempt a simpler style form and experiment with your own first? To be honest, the way it's said, "anime" is apparently the cool thing to be drawing because so many new people like to draw them. Try real figures first.

No, this is worse. Her arms are wobbily, her tits remind me of a loaf of bread, and it looks like you used the pencil tool. Learn to use the line tool next time if you want something smooth with that kind of lining.

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-30 07:12:26

At 8/29/08 10:21 PM, misterdog wrote:
At 8/29/08 11:05 AM, flashman16 wrote: yeah, i know, this was just like 10 mins work, but i dont have any fancy schmancy programs, i used macromedia flash mx 2004 (brush tool)
Stop making excuses, and if it only took 10 minutes, work harder on it instead of asking for criticism when you're not even going to try.

i am not making excuses, i took 10 mins of my time to make that, i wanted to see if i was either going somewhere or wasting my time

nothings perfect
Well, it's still too oval and long.

it's my second drawing, i know it's not perfect

Size isn't even what he's talking about, they're plain out of place. Also, animes have a lot of girls with huge breasts, even when they're supposedly teenagers.

you dont think i know that? i want anime to be about the art of it, not the boobs of it
plain out of place? they're on the chest right? i know they are a bit lower than usual but hey, my first ever female drawing here! i'm sure YOUR first ever drawing wasn't perfect

Then go back and do it again until you get it right.

no, i dont have the file anymore, i deleted it after submitting it, and even if i did have it i wouldn't change it, i like to keep what i have the way it is, that way i can see how i've progressed

Then redraw in it until you get your consistent flash outline. Otherwise just use the line tool.

i prefer not to use the line tool, anyway, look st my second bit of art, see how it's a;; constant thickness? i used pencil that time, not brush, and it payed off i think

No.

well excuse me for not being perfect, but i am new at this art thing

It's okay as a first try, but why does everyone attempt anime? Why not attempt a simpler style form and experiment with your own first? To be honest, the way it's said, "anime" is apparently the cool thing to be drawing because so many new people like to draw them. Try real figures first.

why? because i love anime shows, i cant get enough of the things, plus those two bits of art right there are my two greatest works of art i've ever drawn in my entire life! i think i'll stick with what looks halway decent thanx, i'll ue the old phrase to explain, "dont fix what isn't broken"
i dont know, or care to know how others feel about anime, everybody or nobody would like them and i would still keep going, i wont bow down to common thinking, if people hate me fer drawing anime then let them jhate me, if thy love me then thats a little perk
real life first? dude, thats how i failed my art class, i'll stick with what i know thanx

No, this is worse. Her arms are wobbily, her tits remind me of a loaf of bread, and it looks like you used the pencil tool. Learn to use the line tool next time if you want something smooth with that kind of lining.

no? at least the second one is from scratch, the first one was done with a screenie of an anime girl, and me trying to copy that, the only time i usd an anime screenie for the second one is to get the hand correct, yes i did use the pencil tool, only way i could get the lines all the same thickness

use line tool? what for? remember, I'M NEW AT THIS!!!! pointers and reasons why i should take those pointers are what i'm after as well! and when i ask for opinions, i dont ask for a comparison against eal anime, i ask for opinions as to what you all think for a first and second attempt at an anime drawing, i know what anime is like, i know how it's not the same and i dont need an in-depth reason as to why it's wrong, i need pointers and tips to help me make it better

hell, nobody's even mentioned the shading i busted my ass to make! that just proves your expecting too much from a newbie artist

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-30 14:45:57

y is all the text in this thread so damn long? just tell the OP to get a damn anime book/find an internet tutorial via google and get on with it.

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-30 14:51:33

also everything starts with real life, if you want to go anywhere as an artist you absolutely have to know something about real life drawings. you call these your best works but these look like common things that everyday people with no training can draw in a matter of minutes. dont argue with everyone that gives you advice, most people here are better at drawing than you and have far more experience.

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-30 15:02:36

Fuck off you suck

Yay a signature!

BBS Signature

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-30 18:50:58

At 8/30/08 02:45 PM, UMREE wrote: y is all the text in this thread so damn long?

i had a lot to say

just tell the OP to get a damn anime book/find an internet tutorial via google and get on with it.

THANK YOU! now THAT helpful advice!
but i already did start looking after i posted my second drawing though, lol

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-30 18:58:58

i'll break this down:

At 8/30/08 02:51 PM, UMREE wrote: also everything starts with real life, if you want to go anywhere as an artist you absolutely have to know something about real life drawings.

thats the thing, i DONT plan to go anyware as an artist, i plan to go somewhere as computer/game programmer, i just enjoy art is all

you call these your best works but these look like common things that everyday people with no training can draw in a matter of minutes.

well, anime is common, i'm an everyday bloke and the first was made in 5-10 mins, second 15-20 mins, so your bang on the money then

dont argue with everyone that gives you advice

i wasn't arguing, i was replying, there is a difference, in fact the only time i can say i ever argued on this thread is when nobody actually said how i could improve, just that tey were saying what was wrong

most people here are better at drawing than you and have far more experience.

well duh! thats exactly why this thread was created in the first place! i would rather have the views of people i nthe know than those who dont, i only value those opinions is when they are actually helpful to me,
i.e, i would rather have a throwaway comment [like yours] that actually helps me to get better than an in-depth view on how my art is incorrect anyday

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-30 20:24:54

Its ok, but usage of a pencil + paper would look better

or a wacom tablet if you have one....

[FAQs] [Best Lock Ever] [EPIC LULZ] [Incest]

BBS Signature

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-30 20:41:10

You need to work on your head shapes, here's a simple guide i drew for some other guy, might help you along a bit.

instagram.com/five_mile_smile

BBS Signature

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-30 21:00:39

:i dont have any fancy schmancy programs, i used macromedia flash mx 2004 (brush tool)

Flash is a fancy schmancy program. MX 2004 is a bit old, but it works (it's what I've got... or had, it's only on my old computer, and I lost the CD XP )

The left arm of the second girl is too long, the hand should be about halfway between the hip and the knee, it looks like it reaches all the way to the knee.

Not bad for a newb, keep it up... <insert legitimate motivational phrase here>

Pixel Newgrounds Logos * n00b vs newb

10nitro - overlooking the obviouse since 1991

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-31 06:16:52

At 8/30/08 08:41 PM, Shadow-1409 wrote: You need to work on your head shapes, here's a simple guide i drew for some other guy, might help you along a bit.

o.0 damn your a god to me! thank you so much!
all i need now is to work on the hands

At 8/30/08 09:00 PM, 10nitro wrote:
At 8/29/08 11:05 AM, flashman16 wrote: i dont have any fancy schmancy programs, i used macromedia flash mx 2004 (brush tool)
Flash is a fancy schmancy program. MX 2004 is a bit old, but it works (it's what I've got... or had, it's only on my old computer, and I lost the CD XP )

flash is fancy shmancy for flashes, it's not a program built specifically for art, i only really use flash for sprite animations (well, you sohuld have got that if you've watched my flashes)

The left arm of the second girl is too long, the hand should be about halfway between the hip and the knee, it looks like it reaches all the way to the knee.

Not bad for a newb, keep it up... <insert legitimate motivational phrase here>

thanx, lol

still learning here XD
how about this one, i truly busted my ass to make this one, i've added my other two bits of art as the background, i know it's not perfect, i doubt i ever wil get perfect but surely this is the best so far?

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-31 06:51:53

The shoulder and breast area on this one is completely jacked. her shoulders look like they are at her neckline and her breast, well don't look like breasts but like a lap of something over her shirt.

Go here and get some pointers for your manga drawing.

Evil spelled backwards is Live and we all want to do that now don't we.

Deny the big lie, don't beLIEve and don't conform.

BBS Signature

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-31 06:55:25

At 8/31/08 06:16 AM, flashman16 wrote: still learning here XD
how about this one, i truly busted my ass to make this one, i've added my other two bits of art as the background, i know it's not perfect, i doubt i ever wil get perfect but surely this is the best so far?

To be honest, I think you're getting worse and worse.

You have the shoulders in some weird place, too low and strangely in front of the girl, as if they've been pasted onto her chest.

The breasts are a strange shape, and have this bizarre line across them making it look like... Well... Like they've been tucked into some pocket inside her shirt?

The torso is far too long, her hair makes her look like she's balding, the hands are too small and again look like they're in front of the body, the head is a strange shape, she has no ears and her hair does not look like it should be covering them, the legs are placed oddly and her right one looks like it's curving to a ridiculous place, the eyes look dead etc. etc.

Perhaps you should focus on little things, first. Like drawing heads, or drawing eyes, or something.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-31 07:53:06

At 8/31/08 06:55 AM, Kuro wrote:
At 8/31/08 06:16 AM, flashman16 wrote: still learning here XD
To be honest, I think you're getting worse and worse.

really? damn...

You have the shoulders in some weird place, too low and strangely in front of the girl, as if they've been pasted onto her chest.

that was a bit of a problem with me, thats the best i could get them

The breasts are a strange shape, and have this bizarre line across them making it look like... Well... Like they've been tucked into some pocket inside her shirt?

well, i have absolutely no idea how to draw breasts inside a shirt, best i could think of just draw a line where they stop coming out, if i had a tut on how to draw them then that woul dbe brilliant, but i dont

The torso is far too long, her hair makes her look like she's balding, the hands are too small and again look like they're in front of the body, the head is a strange shape, she has no ears and her hair does not look like it should be covering them, the legs are placed oddly and her right one looks like it's curving to a ridiculous place, the eyes look dead etc. etc.

i tried a different approach to the hair, looks like it was a wrong approach then, hands have always been a hard bit for me to draw, they are meant to be in front of her body, fingers on the front side thumbs on the back, so it's like she has her hands on her hips
i forgot the ears >.> never noticed the curving leg problem until now, the eyes look dead? please remember i'm NEW at this, i have no idea what thats about, the yes look absolutely fine to me

Perhaps you should focus on little things, first. Like drawing heads, or drawing eyes, or something.

but i did :/ i redesigned the eyes and head at LEAST three times!

well, i appreciate this, even if your taking it all to seriously and not in the eyes of a complete and utter newb who has no idea how to draw anything and thinks it's a miracle that she looks like a girl at all

i cannot stress enough how much i am a newb at this, if i was this much of a newb at computing i would believe the monitor was the actual CPU, ask why the keyboard cant play music, wonder how a computer can get infected by a virus if it's not alive and be confused as to why people keep going to the website called "the internet" if they keep getting all these viruses and stuff when they can just go to a different site

does that give at least SOME perspective as to how new i am at this?

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-31 08:20:13

You're getting better man maybe search for some anime tutorials though so your pics will look sick i remeber my first attempt, Yours is way way better.

BBS Signature

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-31 09:21:07

At 8/31/08 06:16 AM, flashman16 wrote: o.0 damn your a god to me! thank you so much!
all i need now is to work on the hands

No problem, now hands are something i find difficult so i cant help you there, but you need to work on your hair as well, i just draw lots of different hairstyles to use a references later on if i need them. Here's some of them, feel free to copy them. :P

BBS Signature

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-31 09:48:17

At 8/31/08 09:21 AM, Shadow-1409 wrote: No problem, now hands are something i find difficult so i cant help you there, but you need to work on your hair as well, i just draw lots of different hairstyles to use a references later on if i need them. Here's some of them, feel free to copy them. :P

now THAT is useful to me, thanx!

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-31 13:12:41

At 8/31/08 06:16 AM, flashman16 wrote:
At 8/30/08 09:00 PM, 10nitro wrote:
At 8/29/08 11:05 AM, flashman16 wrote: i dont have any fancy schmancy programs, i used macromedia flash mx 2004 (brush tool)
flash is fancy shmancy for flashes, it's not a program built specifically for art, i only really use flash for sprite animations (well, you sohuld have got that if you've watched my flashes)

Download GIMP it's free (as in freedom). It's a bit harder to learn than Photoshop, but it is pretty similar. I've also noticed that GIMP users are a lot friendlier than Photoshop users, so you can easily get help.

Pixel Newgrounds Logos * n00b vs newb

10nitro - overlooking the obviouse since 1991

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-08-31 14:03:01

At 8/31/08 01:12 PM, 10nitro wrote: Download GIMP it's free (as in freedom). It's a bit harder to learn than Photoshop, but it is pretty similar. I've also noticed that GIMP users are a lot friendlier than Photoshop users, so you can easily get help.

i have gimp, i hate gimp, it's too hard to use, it doesn't do what i ask it to do, it's just terrible, liveswif is easier to use than gimp

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-09-01 14:45:38

Nice, but it's more challenging to do it by hand. I do some work but i sadly broke my camera. I'll fix it and post some stuff later.

Hey i'm Adel

BBS Signature

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-09-01 17:22:15

At 9/1/08 02:45 PM, izemoi wrote: Nice, but it's more challenging to do it by hand. I do some work but i sadly broke my camera. I'll fix it and post some stuff later.

bummer, but im really crap at doing it by hand, really, hell my handwriting is terrible, i'd post up a pic of my handwriting but it'll just get de;deleted because nobody would be able to make sense of it

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-09-01 19:08:40

Apparently you're a heavy visual learner... when people post you pictures/diagrams- you understand it better. (At least I think that's what you think...) I thought you were given very constructive criticsm- yet you did come across as a bit indignant. (Don't worry, I was very stubborn my first years of drawing- in a learning environment.)

Then, I implore you to practice some observational skills- man! As in drawing real people!

I'm not trying to be mean- but it certainly helps. For example, observe how clothes actually fits women (depending on outfit of course.)

I (we) don't expect you to miraculously get better overnight. Start with some fundamentals, like form...

Sorry if this was a bit lengthy... I'll cough up some visuals now. (I apologize for the spelling error...)
Higher resolution at dA.

Response to My first ever attempt at anime 2008-09-01 19:11:54

At 8/31/08 09:48 AM, flashman16 wrote:
At 8/31/08 09:21 AM, Shadow-1409 wrote: No problem, now hands are something i find difficult so i cant help you there, but you need to work on your hair as well, i just draw lots of different hairstyles to use a references later on if i need them. Here's some of them, feel free to copy them. :P
now THAT is useful to me, thanx!

Also no problem, ;D
Feel free to PM me with any specific problems and i'll see what i can do to help.

BBS Signature