00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Sketchbook Tour 2008

58,019 Views | 899 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-05 15:21:23

I made a sig, although its pretty bad quality because of the file size limiter(40kb is small ): )

NG Sketchbook Tour 2008

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-05 20:04:36

well, holy fuck, Our name was said correctly!

knowledgeable Korean speakers!!

and so many great artist, wow..this was great!

awesome job everyone, and special thanks to luis for allowing us to be apart of this.

big ups nuggah

Drawing without thinking is just doodling, the brain and pen is connected.

PSN: SeoulSnake

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-05 20:46:22

Good job

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-05 21:21:53

I just wanna say thanks for everyone ruining my break :P

Just playing with ya! ROFLCOPTERZ!

For those of you come from fucking Missouri [and a few others] your info will be updated whenever the .swf is reviewed and replaced.

MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

8=================================>

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 08:32:54

i have to say that u guys did a great job!

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 08:33:20

So in thinking about the next 2009 tour... one of the issues i had was figuring out an organized way of gettting a list of people. I had a mad influx of PM's that filled up the tour within a matter of hours, and as a result some of the 'good' artists got shut out. Many times, artists who probably offered more to Newgrounds than people who got into it. The problem in that is, that part of the goal of the sbt is to provide a glimpse at the up and coming future of the site so in a way part of its goal IS to expose the lesser known artists and to encourage viewers to learn more about them.

So what do you guys think would be a fair way to 'screen' people .... keep in mind that it cant be ellaborate because this isnt my fulltime job so i cant like spend all day doing some heavy duty task just to screen people out. I also dont want people to have to jump through hoops and ladders just to get in because then it stops being fun.. So there lies the dilemma.

What do you guys think?

One thing that did bother me this year is having entries with 0 latest submissions. I will definately NOT allow anyone with nothing to offer NG to be in this time. What are people supposed to do to learn more about you? You've offered nothing to any of the portal's of newgrounds?

HOPEFULLY by late march, the Art Portal will be running so that even those artists who perhaps would be heavy contributors to the Art Portal can have a place in the project. So that being said, if you managed to get into 2008 with no entries to any of the portals (flash/audio), dont expect to get in to 2009.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 08:41:15

get like 5 guys or more to take pm-s and go through the artists works and the things that they have to offer
maybe the will work?

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 14:07:09

At 1/6/09 08:33 AM, Luis wrote:
One thing that did bother me this year is having entries with 0 latest submissions. I will definately NOT allow anyone with nothing to offer NG to be in this time.

I am still new to NG - i can draw decently (my own opinion) i have tried flash etc. but $700 is too much for me to pay (im still in school). I would love to get into the sketch-book and produce something decent but i am pretty useless at animation so have nothing the flash portal, i would contribute to the audio portal but do cannot find a decent program to write music. Could we maybe still get in the sketchbook...? You may say no, and in that case i will try and get something in before the deadline.

About choosing people, could you ask them to provide links to previous works online maybe so you may see their drawing standard, and if they are decent enough maybe you can include them. Maybe this would be too much work so in that case, get some helpers or just ignore my ideas!

I think art collabs would be the main way i could get into the portal as submissions of 3 pictures, would not really be that popular to be honest. Also, has anyone got any scoring programs for music that are free, i wanna have a try at them...

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 14:33:49

At 1/6/09 08:33 AM, Luis wrote:
One thing that did bother me this year is having entries with 0 latest submissions. I will definately NOT allow anyone with nothing to offer NG to be in this time. What are people supposed to do to learn more about you? You've offered nothing to any of the portal's of newgrounds?

The problem with that is that you could be shutting out a decent artist while at the same time stumping there growth on NG. Someone could get involved with this then flourish on ng as an artist and/or animator.

I suggest just asking for work before accepting, yeah it's more work for you but the end result will be better.

You're in the art forum enough to know regulars and people who contribute anyway so go with your instinct aswell :D

Good luck <33

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 14:34:56

IGNORE EVERYTHING I JUST SAID i just failed at reading the page ¬¬ delete the post plez <33 ty

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 15:11:59

Well in the end, i think the sbt should be about newgrounds community that is not only proud to be part of the community but has an active role in it.

So if you are Pablo Picaso but you dont do anything here in newgrounds you aint getting into the sketchbook tour. Its a newgrounds community project, not an a generic art project. Im sure theres talented folks outside of ng that would make for great additions to the tour but is it a NG Sketchbook Tour if im accepting people who dont really participate in newgrounds?

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 15:38:14

At 1/6/09 03:17 PM, RKThrilla wrote:
At 1/6/09 03:11 PM, Luis wrote: but is it a NG Sketchbook Tour if im accepting people who dont really participate in newgrounds?
Exactly, I would rather see a bunch of ok drawings from newgrounds regulars then a bunch of awesome drawings from people we never heard of.

I sorta dissagree. People who generally aren't in-your-face turn out to be generally not seen as regular, even if they do regularily contribute and some people who get in this sbt every year have done maybe one or two large bursts of contribution leaving little to nothing in between but get an auto-ok because everyone knows them.
As Luis said before, and then took it back, I'd rather have the sbt be a start for up and coming artists then a penis enlargener for the rest of ng big names. If it where up to me, I'd make it sorta art forum people only (even though this forum is seemingly always on the verge of dead), That way people would get interested and inspired to learn that there is another hidden and talented society with ng.

Because I for one, would rather see someone make an awesome piece rather then someone who everyone knows's drawing that is crappy without electronic aid.

And yes, I am still pissed because I didn't get in meanwhile there's a couple of people here that I could've reeeeaallly showed up and I'm sorry for being selfish, but this is the second sbt that I haven't been able to get in to :/

TL;DR I say opposite of luis, also self-loathing due to not getting in.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 16:17:30

At 1/6/09 03:38 PM, austinzombie wrote: Because I for one, would rather see someone make an awesome piece rather then someone who everyone knows's drawing that is crappy without electronic aid.

Actually i semi disagree with that... I would rather see like a very mediocre Adam Phillips drawing than someone with 3 posts on ng and one drawing in all of his 3 years on the site.

Atleast with the mediocre Adam Phillips drawing there is something exciting about nosing your thumb at well-known NG names and being like 'ok we know what you can do on the Portal' now take it back to the old school and see what you can do with primitive pen and paper.

That also would go well with Rucklo, and other popular audio artists... it kinda catches these people off guard to be thrown into this non electronic environment and that is exciting to me.

In 2006's sketchbook tour, it was cool to see Bluebaby's piece for it. He's well known in the flash circuit and did something totally different than his online works as his sketch and it was really cool. It made me more interested in his non animated works. Thats the kind of spirit we want to capture in people. Where EVEN if theyve seen all of Egoraptors work they can find something to further intruigue them... wethter its the fact that he is worse at drawing on paper than online is irrelevant.
Its just an interesting world to pit newgrounds people in on.

I do agree though that up and coming talent should be part of it also. I think its a fine balance that needs to exist. The sketchbook tour should invest in people who DO want to be part of the newgrounds community... not someone whos just passing by trying to get people to their deviant art page.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 16:24:29

At 1/6/09 03:11 PM, Luis wrote:

Im sure theres talented folks outside of ng that would make for great additions to the tour but is it a NG Sketchbook Tour if im accepting people who dont really participate in newgrounds?

I see what you're saying but what about people who can't be an active part of NG apart from collabs or are still learning flash etc. this could be their 'Open Gate to Newgrounds'. Still, fair enough...

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 16:30:59

*crosses fingers in the hopes that I can participate next year*

Tsukino Usagi of the NG /a/ {Sig by cast}

A ninja may be fast, but my dick is faster.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 16:34:34

At 1/6/09 04:29 PM, RKThrilla wrote:
Agree'd I would want to see art of someone who is a newgrounds regular then a really good piece of art of someone we would never see again.

But what about the people who would come back? Maybe there wouldnt be enough of them to be worthwhile but still - would be nice to introduce new peeps..

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 16:42:33

Anyone with under five flash/audio submissions has to post nudes in a random theme of Luis' choosing in order to get into the tour.

A Bedtime Tale | 1 | 2 | 3 |

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 16:45:46

Sounds like a plan Reyals, im up for it :P

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 17:10:17

At 1/6/09 04:42 PM, Reyals wrote: Anyone with under five flash/audio submissions has to post nudes in a random theme of Luis' choosing in order to get into the tour.

but that's not fair. :(

drawn nudes of myself ok, then?

Tsukino Usagi of the NG /a/ {Sig by cast}

A ninja may be fast, but my dick is faster.

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 17:25:33

I want to participate but I doubt I can from what your all saying...

I only have one submission, which is plain awful, and I only joined a couple of months ago so....

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 17:46:23

Actually i semi disagree with that... I would rather see like a very mediocre Adam Phillips drawing than someone with 3 posts on ng and one drawing in all of his 3 years on the site.

You misunderstood (Or I didn't say) What I mean to say isn't that you should choose depending on a single drawing or group of drawings. I'm saying that regularity in this forum is hard to deceide, considering many of our favourite artists are here and gone really quick, and that's what some of the people in this sbt did to be observant.
Although, I do feel satisfaction seeing famous ng artists' ideas, but when I see a famous artist's drawing just being there - having just a boring picture of their or an ng character, even if it is really great, is reeeeaaallllyyy annoying for someone like me. And I know that isn't really something you can fix, but I find that most little known people will not create advertisments for their flashes.

Oh yeah, and I wasn't neccisarily pointing at big name flash artists. I mostly was meaning big name forum regulars as apposed to smaller people.

I do agree though that up and coming talent should be part of it also. I think its a fine balance that needs to exist. The sketchbook tour should invest in people who DO want to be part of the newgrounds community... not someone whos just passing by trying to get people to their deviant art page.

Exactly.

ANYWAY I'd just like to say to anyone who might think who the fuck is this guy with only 30 posts? That I usally get bored of the names i've chosen for accounts, so just think of me as HahaBears and also (breifly) Squidium (I think)

which is somewhere over 1500 posts or something

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 17:54:14

At 1/6/09 05:10 PM, JadeTheAssassin wrote:
At 1/6/09 04:42 PM, Reyals wrote: Anyone with under five flash/audio submissions has to post nudes in a random theme of Luis' choosing in order to get into the tour.
but that's not fair. :(

drawn nudes of myself ok, then?

That depends on quality, composition, and creative incorporation of phallic/vaginal imagery.

A Bedtime Tale | 1 | 2 | 3 |

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 18:25:06

At 1/6/09 03:11 PM, Luis wrote: Well in the end, i think the sbt should be about newgrounds community that is not only proud to be part of the community but has an active role in it.

So if you are Pablo Picaso but you dont do anything here in newgrounds you aint getting into the sketchbook tour. Its a newgrounds community project, not an a generic art project. Im sure theres talented folks outside of ng that would make for great additions to the tour but is it a NG Sketchbook Tour if im accepting people who dont really participate in newgrounds?

I agree with you here, If I was going to enter next year I think I'd definitely make the effort to help somewhere in the portals or submit something of my own in support.

Otherwise it isn't really a newgrounds sketchbook its just newgrounds and 'friends'? lol.

Off to check out the 08' one now wee.

My Art. Enjoy Life

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-06 20:05:52

I know this might be considered one of those reverse discrimination type things, but what if a certain number of spots out of the total pages for 2009 were set aside for the lesser known artists. And then comes the problem, who's a lesser artist? The best bet would be someone new versus someone who's been around for 5 years and only has 2 submissions. This in itself isn't bad, but the only reason they aren't as recognized as some other people is because of the lack of activity.

I personally believe that, if requirements are set, there needs to be at least SOME activity in the art forum to participate in the sketchbook tour. That way, each user might understand what they're contributing a bit more?

What a problem! So far, any solution being put up, still discriminates/puts down someone. To find that perfect balance would be difficult. The best solution that I can think of right now would be to start working on the 2009 collab now. Not sending out the pages, but getting the flash itself set up, because as I can imagine, that's a large, if not huge, time consumer. If the flash is set up with a basic/generic template, you can post up that template in .fla format so that those who are able can set up their own page and then send it in.

Actually, since I'm just writing as the ideas come, that's a really good idea. Luis, or whomever is in charge of the coding, post up the necessary information needed and the generic actionscript along with a .fla file of the template page for the sketchbook page. If each person, or most people, could set up their own page, I'm sure that will cut down on a lot of work.

Also, there is still the potential problem of just the sheer number of people who want in versus the "small" number of pages available. This year it was around 115 or so, and I can safely say that there was at least 150, if not 200, who wanted to participate. If there could be a way that a sketchbook page would be easily accessible at minimum cost, that would work out so much better. I was thinking that the pages could be put into the NG store, or something, but then you run into the issue of money. The past two years, the sketchbook has been free (minus shipping) to those of us who participated. If you start to charge for each page, then it kind of loses its charm.

But there still remains the problem of the fact that only one person is in charge of it all, which is a quite time consuming process. I wouldn't want to be the one to individually package, label, and ship 300 pages just because there is a demand for it. Of course there will be a demand, but it's costly. All I'm figuring right now is if you (Luis) got some help so you wouldn't be the only one doing this.

I dunno. I'm just shooting out ideas here. This is such a great project/opportunity, I don't want to see it go downhill.

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-07 11:19:11

At 1/6/09 08:33 AM, Luis wrote: So what do you guys think would be a fair way to 'screen' people ....

Totally fair. I think you've hit the nail on the head that the tour lives on to be a year round-up of the community. I don't feel like a proper contributor, since I haven't made a Flash, and this is fundamentally a Flash site.

It's fine with Flash submissions in the past year, but if you really feel you want to go a step further, weight it on
-Art portal submissions
-Number of Posts

I guess it depends on how you plan to show art portal submissions in the next Sketchbook tour.

At 1/6/09 05:46 PM, austinzombie wrote: just think of me as HahaBears

ohhhhhh

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-07 12:17:48

Rumors point to the art portal kicking off before i actually start up the next tour, the only problem in that is that itll be a fairly new feature so i dont know how quickly we can begin using that as a viable source of inclusion into the tour. I cant disclose too much in regards to how the AP will work when it starts up but yeah... im tentative to see it as a strong measure of regulating people.

I know i complained a bit about the amount of work involved in making the 2008 tour, but actually i DO enjoy putting it together, i do like having all entries filter through me. I do like the sending out pages to people, i do like most of the way the tour runs. I also DO like that its an exclusive project. Theres just something more special about it. To know you clawed yourself through 200 other people.
At the same time it encourages people who DO get in to make a better effort to return entries. This past tour actually had the strongest participation rate of any of the tours. I only had about 10-13 entries that never made it back to me. Which is GREAT. It shows that I'm doing something right and people are actually taking the project seriously. Hopefully this next tour that participation ratio will be even better.

I have a few tricks up my sleeve to change things in the next tour to further personalize it. So I'm feeling good about it. It will hopefully allow me to get the number of people bumped up to 150. I do want to have a cutoff somewhere. I understand it is frusterating to not get into the tour but it is what it is. And i dont want people to take it personally if they dont get into it.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-07 14:04:41

At 1/7/09 11:19 AM, PigeonOnAStick wrote: ohhhhhh

Are you like TurkeyOnAStick's alt?

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-22 13:14:32

Well I heard through the grapevine that the shirts arrived and they just need to do a photoshoot for em and they should be up soon.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-29 16:19:40

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG Sketchbook Tour 2008 2009-01-29 16:56:16

At 1/29/09 04:19 PM, Luis wrote: Took awhile but its up

http://www.newgrounds.com/store/product/
sketchbook-tour-shirt

Awesome :3
How long will they be around for? Kinda waiting on new credit card.

BBS Signature