00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Zerovoting and Exposure.

76,349 Views | 607 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-28 22:16:15

Exactly. This thread is kinda meant to get out of hand, because all the zerobombing threads that get out of hand are directed here.

A heavy bassline is my kind of silence.

Enjoy progressive house? Then listen to my song.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-28 23:28:50

Or maybe that the initial point of this thread was about exposure, and not zero bombing.

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-06-28 23:30:12

At 6/10/08 08:00 PM, Rucklo wrote: Heed this warning though:
- If you whine about 0-voting in this thread, you will be rewarded with post deletion and possibly a ban from the BBS.

This.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-16 11:30:18

a lil (offtopic?) question; why dont we get exp. points by voting on audio?
Wouldnt that like .. give audio way more attention & votes & solve the 0bomb problem?

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-16 11:38:52

Yeah I think that will solve everything, there are some things I think why that doesn't happen:
- we are just the slaves of the flash ppl, so why put so much effort in the AP?
- Tom has got other things to do (like testing CASTLE CRASHERS :D)
- It will cost some money for all the xtra servers and stuff
- Let's get on topic now... or i'll get banned

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-17 18:24:42

I agree with downvoting, but I really can't complain with the Exposure I'm getting (Take Me Across, the #1, is my song)

But seeing my score drop from a 4.88 to a 3.88 in little over a day is a bit depressing.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-24 17:05:14

what if there was a way to make it so you were required to watch the flash video or listen to the song before you could vote, because most of the time zero bombers dont even listen to the song they just zero bomb it, what if you had to listen to the whole thing, i mean there may still be zero bombers but there would be less.

I mean i hate zero bombers as much as the next guy, and i esspecially hate the people who review your work as say its crap and give you a bad score becuase its not there type of a music, some guy voted a 6 on my song when i had mostly 8's, 9's and 10's because "its newgrounds" and newgrounds doesn't like classical music, hey guess what buddy, its the classical section of the portal if you dont like it dont listen to it gosh lol

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-24 17:15:11

There are too many threads. The answer is simple - we just wait until that (or something else) takes effect.

On garageband you MUST review the song to vote. Infact - your vote IS the review. As well as this, they have a way of finding out if you just copy + paste all of your reviews.

e.g.

Vote: 0 out of 10

This is shit kill yourself. Omg everything about it is horrible I can't even review this.

or

Vote 10 out of 10

Wow I loved this! I'm speechless! 10 out of 10, keep making music!

------------------

Anyways, this way if anyone 0 voted everyone would know who. If you are wondering about the different scores sytems it's quite simple.

2 on the review = 1 on the vote. (Because i'm sure Tom and Wade don't want to change the score system to 0-10)

Anyways, this idea has come up in several of the "0 voters" topics. I'm not really sure why i'm bringing it up again because most of us know it but every time a new 0 voting topic pops up I feel like no one knows it.

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-25 06:51:11

At 7/24/08 05:15 PM, SuperMusic wrote: stuff

Also notable, the person to whom the song belongs can rate the review on a scale of 1 to 11, which can make their reviewer rating go up or down.

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-25 08:53:46

An idea to prevent the 0 bombers is to have the name of the person (username) and how much they voted. If you see the same person doing the same thing to others then you should be able to report this to an admin and have them banned from voting. Hell if they aren't doing anything good for the portal(s) why let them vote?

I'd say this is a reasonable idea and one that shouldn't take too much time to make and implement. Mind you I know nothing of programming so I could be completely wrong and it could be hard as fuck. Though I do think that this should be used for the sake of audio and even flash artists.

Too true:

SCUD14 wrote: I got kicked out a bookshop because someone misplaced the bibles. I returned them to their brethren in fiction.

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-25 13:42:43

At 7/25/08 08:53 AM, HiniberusDelius wrote: An idea to prevent the 0 bombers is to have the name of the person (username) and how much they voted. If you see the same person doing the same thing to others then you should be able to report this to an admin and have them banned from voting. Hell if they aren't doing anything good for the portal(s) why let them vote?

I'd say this is a reasonable idea and one that shouldn't take too much time to make and implement. Mind you I know nothing of programming so I could be completely wrong and it could be hard as fuck. Though I do think that this should be used for the sake of audio and even flash artists.

you cant do that because people are immature and would vote the same you voted on, and that would be stupid, its fine that you dont know who it is, either make it so people can only vote once, or make it so you have to listen to the song before you vote cause im pretty sure zero bombers wont sit there for 3-5 minutes in those really long songs, just to vote zero, i mean some might but i bet most wouldn't

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-25 13:47:57

I don't really like this topic, stop bumping it, ppl.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-25 16:53:04

At 7/25/08 04:48 PM, Neodrummer wrote:
At 7/25/08 04:46 PM, Neodrummer wrote:
At 7/25/08 01:47 PM, loogiesquared wrote: I don't really like this topic, stop bumping it, ppl.
If you dont like this topic.. they did you pump it?

OOOooooOOoooOoOooOO burn :3
Woops.. i meant bump ;P lol.

Sorry for the double post :/

damn it, neo you ARE getting a BRAND NEW sig!!!

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-25 19:38:14

At 7/25/08 05:00 PM, Bjra wrote:

Newgrounds was a great place to "level up" my music production skills.

now I am at least like level 50-60 and I'm ready for my record deal :)

what's that!? bjra is evolving!

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-25 21:10:39

At 7/25/08 04:53 PM, loogiesquared wrote:
At 7/25/08 04:48 PM, Neodrummer wrote:
At 7/25/08 04:46 PM, Neodrummer wrote:
At 7/25/08 01:47 PM, loogiesquared wrote: I don't really like this topic, stop bumping it, ppl.
If you dont like this topic.. they did you pump it?

OOOooooOOoooOoOooOO burn :3
Woops.. i meant bump ;P lol.

Sorry for the double post :/
damn it, neo you ARE getting a BRAND NEW sig!!!

just because this thread is a dump doesnt mean you can break the rules innit. >:( *posts deleted.

Wakka wakka

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-27 03:20:18

I like it when I feel informed. This page has been bookmarked. Thank you again!

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-27 03:49:23

At 7/24/08 05:05 PM, sarias wrote: what if there was a way to make it so you were required to watch the flash video or listen to the song before you could vote, because most of the time zero bombers dont even listen to the song they just zero bomb it, what if you had to listen to the whole thing, i mean there may still be zero bombers but there would be less.

Won't work. Although, it may stop 90% of the zero bombing, it will also stop 50% of people voting on your song. See, most people will listen to all of your song if they really like it. Others however will give it a quick listen, decide how good it is and vote it and leave. Now, unless you make a song that 100% of the world's population will like, you're gonna' get less votes on that song and considering that's it hard enough getting enough votes for the top 5 and 30 now, hardly anyone would make it to 20 votes.

Ok, let's list the ideas that WON'T solve zero bombing.

Remove the voting system?
No more top 5 and top 30. More advertising spam in the AF.

The ability to see who has voted what on your song?
You want people non-stop zero voting eachother? 100's of threads, news posts, reviews flaming users because they zero'd songs. It would just be utter chaos.

Having to review the song to vote on it?
Just like I said up there, less votes, no more top 5 and top 30.

Have the mods' watch who zero votes alot?
You can't expect the mods of NG to monitor like 20,000 people and the every vote they make.

That's all the so called 'solutions' I can think of that have been said in this thread and it's just to prove that nothing is fool-proof and there is always going to be asses who get off over pressing a button on a webpage, not to mention, so people will stop suggesting the same shit over and over again. Honestly, there is one solution: DON'T LET ZERO BOMBING BOTHER YOU!!. Maybe if everyone didn't give these guys attention, zero bombing wouldn't be so much fun to them anymore but sadly, in this competitive world. There will always be zero bombers and there will always be people who needs lots of downloads and votes because to them. Music is all about attention, not creativity.

yea

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-27 12:12:23

perfect solution: if everyone zerobombs everyone else, it will universally balance everything out mirite

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-27 12:55:17

At 7/27/08 12:12 PM, KgZ wrote: perfect solution: if everyone zerobombs everyone else, it will universally balance everything out mirite

BUT TEHN TEH PPLZ GO AROWND AND 5 EVRYFING DEN WE HAVE 5 BOMBER PROBLAM!11

Honestly, the day when 5 bombers are a problem is the day I buy Playstation 3. ;D

yea

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-27 19:18:25

Ok, I think I have in my head, the one aid that may help against zero bombing and the bitching about exposure and such. People are so selfish, they expect the mods and admins to solve all their problems but we could phase it out ourselves.

Have a look at this:

LOOK AT MEH!!

I'm going around finding songs that I think diserve more of a look than they get. Now, if everyone made their own list of songs that they thought diserved more than they get, if we all promoted eachother? Wouldn't that make a pretty big impact on the AP? I mean, sure there are some flaws like "There will be people who get left out" but you know the saying "A good deed never goes un-paid" so surely, if you're nice and promote someone, they might just do the same for you. I know this wouldn't exactly get rid' of the zero bombers but it would help with getting people more exposure which is what everyone is so crazy about.

yea

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-27 21:02:14

Just add a script or something, that way if someone votes X number of times all 0's... they're put on a "blacklist" which is monitored by mods. If they are found to in fact be zero bombing, they're banned and deleted.

Just my suggestion.

- email jrhager84@gmail if interested in voice acting/ music/ production/ mixing etc. -

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-28 05:57:34

Damn, both of my songs got 0 bombed on the first vote, with no review....... :-(

Thanks for the constructive criticism guys!
:sarcasm

- email jrhager84@gmail if interested in voice acting/ music/ production/ mixing etc. -

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-28 08:42:11

At 7/27/08 11:55 PM, Bjra wrote: | LOL noone ever reads posts at the bottom of a page, so i'm reposting. Sorry for the spam!

SOLUTIONS:
Audio is different than flash. It needs a different system...

People should listen to this guy.

ReverbNation | Twitter | Youtube | Facebook

(Latest track) "MAC12 - Viking Barbers from Outer Space" - Classical

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-28 09:21:03

I wish the audio forum existed to make ME happy...

lol

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-28 13:04:56

Rucklo I'm sure you dont read this forum cause its obnoxious to read, but if you are, why don't they have a daily songs feature? You mentioned once that the NG staff has shot down every idea for the AP presented to them, and I'm just not sure the logistics behind denying that one. It seems like the only thing it would do is allow for more exposure to artists and would hopefully bring in more listeners as people would be checking in daily and not weekly. I'm not bitching, just legitimately curious as to why that idea wouldn't work.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-28 13:08:44

I think NG needs to take Bjra's idea and run with it. It's the most logical that I've heard thus far. Then again, who cares what I think?

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-28 13:27:21

At 7/28/08 01:04 PM, Gloudas wrote: Rucklo I'm sure you dont read this forum cause its obnoxious to read, but if you are, why don't they have a daily songs feature? You mentioned once that the NG staff has shot down every idea for the AP presented to them, and I'm just not sure the logistics behind denying that one. It seems like the only thing it would do is allow for more exposure to artists and would hopefully bring in more listeners as people would be checking in daily and not weekly. I'm not bitching, just legitimately curious as to why that idea wouldn't work.

I don't think I ever said that the staff shot down every idea for the AP, that would have to come from them to be true. liljim shut down the "ng evolution thread" that was in the WI/HT forum, go read his locking replies and that will most likley explain alot.
What I might have said however, is that the staff already have soooo many good ideas, I'm sure some are already presented in the "ap evolution thread" by users too.
The problem is not the lack of ideas, it's the fact that the staff's resources are limited, and the fact that the AP is not as highly prioritized as the flash portal. When it comes down to it, it's not just the two portals that build the site, there are many other parts that too require maintenance etc.

Wakka wakka

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-30 05:07:33

I'm giving up. That's right. I'm not going to submit any new songs to NG as long as this "zero voting script" or whatever it is, is active. It's a fight against windmills and impossible to encounter.

Seeing that my scores drop 0.01 at least each day constantly it's impossible to get any exposure at all. Don't fuck around with me saying write reviews and all that bull. I'm one of the top 10 reviewers of all time so you can shuffle that argument up your fucking arse. I'm just having enough. It's a sad process but if NG is that nowadays in points of audio, well...so be it.

Funny is, that even "Top notch" songs with over 150 comments and a lot of flash usage etc. going straight into the abbys. I've tried to reach liljim several times now but he's not responding to this problem. It's sad and it's also sad that the AP is no place anymore for quality stuff...more for "luck".

I just hope for better times...

I are pwnan teh lollbarian!

...SoS - We rape responsibly...

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-30 10:14:14

It's worth a try to fight. Hell, I'm possibly one of the most 0-bombed in the hip-hop section because of the bullshit drama I happened to pick up along the way. I was gonna stop posting a while ago, but didn't do it for the simple fact that there are people who actually ENJOY my music. I don't post as much as I used to. But whatever I do post it, I make sure it's quality stuff. I stopped caring about the scores and exposure. As long as I have at least one person telling me that I did a great job, that's all I care about at the end of the day.

TdM / Cannibal Brigade / The Silent Minority / NUG Ventrilo Mod

Cyrez Tha War Spawn

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2008-07-30 16:28:15

At 7/28/08 01:27 PM, Rucklo wrote: What I might have said however, is that the staff already have soooo many good ideas, I'm sure some are already presented in the "ap evolution thread" by users too.
The problem is not the lack of ideas, it's the fact that the staff's resources are limited, and the fact that the AP is not as highly prioritized as the flash portal. When it comes down to it, it's not just the two portals that build the site, there are many other parts that too require maintenance etc.

eh fair enough. Guess I gotta be patient until the next update, and hope they take in the opinions of the people here before changing things.