00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wettle just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Zerovoting and Exposure.

76,431 Views | 607 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2010-12-02 07:07:57

At 12/2/10 04:54 AM, Calamaistr wrote: Btw at loansidi, you're not funny let it go you child.

from out of the mouths of babes

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2010-12-02 08:08:39

At 12/2/10 07:07 AM, loansindi wrote:
At 12/2/10 04:54 AM, Calamaistr wrote: Btw at loansidi, you're not funny let it go you child.
from out of the mouths of babes

Is that a compliment?

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2010-12-02 15:10:45

This is why I say force a zero-voter to make a comment. This way zero-voters are exposed.

Just lurking...

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2010-12-02 15:37:58

FUCKINNNNNNNN

WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

go outside, i went outside and bought beer, i drank it too

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2010-12-02 15:41:15

Were you singing that?

Just lurking...

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2010-12-02 18:11:29

NG ain't for exposure unless you're lucky. It's a place to link all your buddies to trick them into listening the songs you made >: D

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2010-12-02 18:35:02

but when you have no buddies?

oh i do have buddies but they dont vote, they just tell me 'awesome piece of music man!'
and then carry on.

now that i think of it thats better than votes.

would make for a good system, instead of a 1/5 just make a poll saying:

I 0 you lol-

This is bad music try again, no wait just go away and take loansidi with you-

This is ok but not my preferred genre-

Are you calamaistr? Cause this track is the AMAZING????-

would be a better system than the current.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2010-12-02 18:54:02

At 12/2/10 06:35 PM, Calamaistr wrote: This is ok but not my preferred genre-

You rate songs based on your preferred genre?

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2010-12-02 19:00:33

no some do, so its an option in the poll.

If you know a better poll to replace the current voting system then be my guest.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2010-12-17 21:21:00

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2010-12-22 03:01:54

Exposure
- Here are some way of getting exposure (links):
Underdog list
Audio advertisement thread
Newgrounds musician front page list

+ Do collabs with other people, so their fans get to know your music and your fans his/hers.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-01-09 07:46:35

Man I could kill (not literally, I think) these people who just vote 0 without even listening to the track.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-01-17 09:08:31

Idiotic zero bombing terrorists could easily be stopped,

If either:
-Only the review scores determine whether or not a submission stays or is deleted.
-People can't vote on the same submission twice (unless it's been updated recently).

At 1/9/11 07:46 AM, pokerockmario wrote: Man I could kill (not literally, I think) these people who just vote 0 without even listening to the track.

Check out the demo for Droid Grids

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/vi ew/561794

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-01-21 10:58:46

Weird.. I'm not lazy >: I give people utmost detailed reviews. I 5 them, even if they didn't really pull off what I wanted them too as long as they don't suck >>. Effort, and the almighty ability to even make a song is enough for me. Since, psychology plays a big role when it comes to music. The more of a good mood you are in, the better your music, concentration, will is, in the end. I used to have a habit of reviewing people's songs on the most recent uploaded tracks through the audio portal. 95% of my reviews were replied to. Maybe you guys don't try hard enough to review? :/ You can't look at a review as if you are going to get your respect back. It's already disrespect reviewing someone's art, just because you are expecting them to return the favor. I review, because music is an art, and I truly love the way a human expresses their mind through such benevolence. Just my notions, and possible perspectives you guys could take into consideration ^-^.

~ Insanctuary <-- I'm not going to stop doing this. Sometimes people complain too much about petty things.

You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-01-29 10:58:05

I have a few suggestions for the Audio Portal. Unfortunately, I think we all know that by this stage Wade and Tom just won't ever actually do anything to try and fix this mess. But I'll throw these suggestions out anyway...

- AP's voting power not tied to FP voting power. Yes, that means you would actually have to earn your voting power through, oh I don't know, writing reviews. (*Downside: might be difficult to implement.)

- Everyone has a voting power of 1.00. It's rather stupid when you have 10 votes at 4.43 (or whatever), but someone with a voting power of infinity fucking squared comes along and rapes your track down to a 1.47 with the touch of a button. (*Downside: people who actually know how to use the voting system properly are unfairly punished.)

- Only reviews count for a track's score. That means you get ONE vote per track, basically. (*Downside: hardly anyone writes a review, and there are a lot of tracks I see with less than two reviews.)

Or here's my best idea. And this one also falls into the category of psychological warfare:

- Remove the code for voting 'zero.' Basically, you can click zero all you want, but nothing will happen. Think about it. These idiot 13 year olds go onto a page, click zero, and immediately leave again. That's it. Well, what if we fucked with their brains a little? Render the 'zero' button useless for several months, and when they're at the brink of insanity, wondering why they can't 0-bomb stuff anymore, they might just fuck off. (*Downside: they might move on to 1-bombing. But still, that's not as bad as 0-bombing, is it?)

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-02 07:52:28

I think you should at least be able to see the genre of the track when you see latest submissions. Maybe that will reduce zero bombing. That way I won't vote zero on a trance song that has an appropriate title for a metal song.

apparently I'm clever enough to declare myself as a dumbass

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-02 09:04:29

At 2/2/11 07:52 AM, dontpanic01 wrote: I think you should at least be able to see the genre of the track when you see latest submissions. Maybe that will reduce zero bombing. That way I won't vote zero on a trance song that has an appropriate title for a metal song.

Wait, you vote zero on songs based on whether the song fits the genre you associate with that title?

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-02 13:13:49

Wait, you vote zero on songs based on whether the song fits the genre you associate with that title?

no I'm saying that if a metal fan that doesn't typically like trance, clicks on a trance song with the title of a metal song, they would most likely vote zero because as a metalhead trance music is like garbage to them.

My point is some people have particular tastes, so there should be a little label or an icon identifying what genre a track is, in the latest submissions section

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-02 13:42:39

At 2/2/11 01:13 PM, dontpanic01 wrote:
no I'm saying that if a metal fan that doesn't typically like trance, clicks on a trance song with the title of a metal song, they would most likely vote zero because as a metalhead trance music is like garbage to them.

My point is some people have particular tastes, so there should be a little label or an icon identifying what genre a track is, in the latest submissions section

One could easily conclude from that that a metal fan is going to go to the trance section and 0 everything in there because they don't like trance, yet it's on the site.

Hell, if you run in to a submission of a genre you dislike, you shouldn't be rating it based on your genre preferences. Either don't rate it because you frankly have no clue what makes a good trance song (I mean in terms of production quality etc), or try and judge whether the author actually did their best.

Honestly, if you cannot distinguish between a good or a bad track of a certain genre, just refrain from voting altogether.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-02 13:58:53

I was only using myself in a hypothetical context to express the viewpoint of a casual listener. Just to support my suggestion.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-02 14:18:59

Im wondering why audio portal hasnt any kind of under judgement system?? I mean you can like vote 0 to every new song so they drop immetiadely to the bottom. Thats really odd. Ive heard many good songs rated zero! o.o

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-02 21:25:37

At 2/2/11 01:52 PM, Suezo wrote: I just hope people don't take that stuff too seriously (the rating system)

While it is an important part of the site and what-not, users shouldn't think its the end all factor of what they do or submit.

My hard work and love for music is not defined by two or three people who get erections from voting down music they don't even bother to listen to.

This is exactly right. Who really gives a shit about what other people think of your music. Ultimately, the only person's opinion that matters is yours. Sure, it's nice to see your song being given great ratings but you don't need to be a popular artist to make great music. You just need to be devoted to yourself and your music.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-02 22:30:56

Heh, a couple people decided to take out their rage on my song scores when i posted a troll news post. Trollin is for teh lullz, scores are serious business people.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-03 02:51:43

The way I see it, the problem is with exposure, but not in a way that's fixable by filling the front page with more audio.

The problem is that, no matter how much you shove it in their faces, the majority of the Newgrounds community have no INCENTIVE to vote on audio. They might listen to it, and then bugger off somewhere else. If they view a flash movie, however, they GAIN something from voting. The more they vote on flash, the more they can influence the scores of other flash. The more they vote on audio...the more they vote. They don't GET anything for it, so most of them just don't bother.

This of course means that the few people who DO bother are usually either musicians themselves, or 0 bombers, which gives a pretty one-sided view, since most of the standard community excludes themselves because they just don't see the point.

That's my opinion, anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-03 13:01:01

ow...

I was in the middle of creating a masterpiece, but then i read your post and now i can only produce great sad :c

Film & Game Composer - 4 Years with FL Studio - Contact me

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/lis ten/471408

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-03 13:31:45

How about making it so that when you vote in the audio portal, you get exp just like when you vote in the Flash portal? That way you can choose to vote on 5 songs in the audio portal, 5 flash movies/games or a mix of the two. I think more people would be encouraged to visit the audio portal then.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-07 06:19:22

At 2/3/11 06:09 PM, Suezo wrote: That does sound like a good thing, but I think it takes away from what most of the artists on the site really want. While most artists are seeking numbers and stats, there is a majority of musicians who just want to know that their work is being appreciated or want critique to improve their skills.

This. Although i dont know if thats a 'majority'.

But let me tell you something funny though, im hardly active anymore on forums, i had a leave of around 3-4 months from ng and ive just returned, and still people are 0 bombing me. (hell i dont have any exposure whatsoever :') so what could possibly be the reason still)
That can only mean two things, either someone is just an incredibly childish individual with a grudge against me or this site will never change regardless of the staff trying.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-07 11:05:36

thats actually a good idea chronamut.

the part about me im not going to comment on cause i know it isnt so besides youre making it sound like im that kind of person wich im not.

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-07 13:19:24

Good news everyone, I've decided to give everything 5's whenever I visit the audio portal. I don't even care if it sucks.

I may be stupid, but I'm also dumb.

BBS Signature

Response to Zerovoting and Exposure. 2011-02-07 13:37:58

At 2/7/11 01:36 PM, Suezo wrote:
At 2/7/11 01:19 PM, hollohill wrote: Good news everyone, I've decided to give everything 5's whenever I visit the audio portal. I don't even care if it sucks.
You know, I think i'd be more offended by people "5-bombing" than zero. I don't know why this is...

Is it because if every song had 5's it would ruin the way the audio is organized?

I may be stupid, but I'm also dumb.

BBS Signature