00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

novaruah just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

433,456 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2012-08-21 18:03:34

Fitzcarraldo is a nightmare to get a hold of.

There's one DVD with dodgy subtitles, one with terrible picture quality, and the best download available doesn't have the German dub, and I'd rather see Kinski act in his native language than in his passable English. Desperately needs a blu-ray release.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-08-23 00:30:59

Wow, I wonder why Scott killed himself. I think my favorite movie of his is a tie between Beverly Hills Cop 2 and True Romance. Man on Fire and the Last Boy Scout were both pretty badass, though.

At 8/20/12 05:45 PM, Auz wrote: I went to see The Expendables 2 today.
All in all it's nothing too great, but I had a good time watching this.

Well, I thought the first one was awesome. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Like I said, I didn't really like how the film is just one long action sequence and doesn't give the viewer much time to breathe.

sounds right up my alley, though. I'm planning on getting it very soon. I knew I wanted to get it before the trailer even ended when I saw it. In fact, I rewound a certain part of the trailer a few times. I love my action.

At 8/21/12 06:03 PM, TheMaster wrote: Fitzcarraldo is a nightmare to get a hold of.

I can't recall the quality of the picture, sound, or subtitles of the version I saw, but I do remember it was a great atmospheric film with very striking visuals. The same goes for Aguirre, although there were two parts in Aguirre that made me roll my eyes. One was when the guy kept talking after his head was chopped off and the other was the one guy's acting when he got shot with the arrow and fell into the water. He got blood on his hand, looked at it, and said "how strange" or something like that and then he fell backward like he was consciously deciding to die in the water. Grizzly Man and Bad Lieutenant were also good. I was thinking the next of his films I'd see would be Cobra Verde and Cave of Forgotten Dreams.

Speaking of Herzog, has anybody seen this sketch? That has to be an impression of Herzog as the narrator.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-08-23 08:22:26

At 8/23/12 12:30 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: The same goes for Aguirre, although there were two parts in Aguirre that made me roll my eyes. One was when the guy kept talking after his head was chopped off and the other was the one guy's acting when he got shot with the arrow and fell into the water. He got blood on his hand, looked at it, and said "how strange" or something like that and then he fell backward like he was consciously deciding to die in the water.

I noticed the head thing, but don't remember being put off by the "how strange" death, although I do remember the line. Honestly, I can forgive any flaws in the film when it has Kinski's speech at the end.

Speaking of Herzog, has anybody seen this sketch? That has to be an impression of Herzog as the narrator.

That's DEFINITELY someone doing Herzog. It's not really a very common narrator accent.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-08-23 17:43:31

I checked out To Rome With Love today. The latest film by Woody Allen.

Overall the film is pretty cute and it has its moments. It has a decent cast with likeable actors/actresses and it's nice to see imagery of Rome (truly a lovely city I believe (have never been there yet though)).

What did irk me a bit about this film though is that Woody Allen just takes all the stereotypes about Italy and Italians (cappuccino, wine, pasta, mozzarella, opera etc.), shows all the top famous places in Rome and that's basically his ode. As an ode to a city, this just seems incredibly shallow and uninteresting to me.

A notion that I also agree with is that the plot seems kinda aimless. There are a couple of small plotlines going on, but they're not really going anywhere in particular and they don't really intertwine. Most of them actually didn't make much sense and just seemed stuffed in there for some quirky humour. Also, everybody cheated on their wives/girlfriends but nobody seemed to have any good reasons to at all...

I wasn't such a big fan of Midnight in Paris, but I do think that film worked way better than To Rome With Love. Unless you're a huge Woody Allen fan, I think you can safely give this one a miss. It's not bad, but it's just not that good either in my opinion.

At 8/23/12 12:30 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 8/20/12 05:45 PM, Auz wrote: I went to see The Expendables 2 today.
All in all it's nothing too great, but I had a good time watching this.
Well, I thought the first one was awesome. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Oh I definitely had a good time watching the first one as well. I just had higher expectations. Anyway, I'm sure you're going to love The Expendables 2.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-08-23 19:46:32

Watched Tyrannosaur the other night. Excellent film which two mesmorising performances from the two leads. Everything from the plot to the mise-en-scene to the camera work was top, top quality. The story kept me hooked and depressed from the first horribly sad scene and barring one OTT scene towards the end of the movie, I really don't have anything bad to say about it.

If you've seen and enjoyed films along the lines of Trainspotting, Dead Man's Shoes or Requiem For A Dream, you'll no doubt enjoy this. If not, there's a good chance you'll still really enjoy it.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-08-23 20:26:09

At 8/23/12 07:46 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Watched Tyrannosaur the other night. Excellent film which two mesmorising performances from the two leads. Everything from the plot to the mise-en-scene to the camera work was top, top quality. The story kept me hooked and depressed from the first horribly sad scene and barring one OTT scene towards the end of the movie, I really don't have anything bad to say about it.

Colman is just phenomenal in that. Would never have suspected she could be that good based on her work in Peep Show. Probably my favourite film of 2011.

Would love to see more from Considine as a director.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-08-23 20:50:08

At 8/23/12 08:26 PM, TheMaster wrote: Colman is just phenomenal in that. Would never have suspected she could be that good based on her work in Peep Show.

I think I'm so used to seeing her in comedy roles (Black Books, Hot Fuzz) that it was that much more powerful and effective seeing her as a character in a film like Tyrannosaur.

Would love to see more from Considine as a director.

Agreed!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-08-23 23:45:27

You guys should check out Scarab's thread if you haven't already. Maybe you guys will make the results a bit more interesting.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1315773

Response to Cinema Club 2012-08-28 21:54:28

At 8/28/12 01:51 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Saw ParaNorman. It was a blast.

That looks pretty good.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-08-29 18:07:55

What do other people think of the movie "District 9"?

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-08-29 19:04:20

At 8/29/12 06:07 PM, lnitroburstl wrote: What do other people think of the movie "District 9"?

one of my favorites

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-08-30 05:48:50

Watched The Life Of David Gale last night. Decent film, Spacey was excellent as usual. The plot was a little shaky and the big twists were visible from about ten minutes in but I still enjoyed it.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-08-30 11:11:50

I watched God Bless America today. A film about a terminally ill, middle-aged guy who's had with certain repulsive people in society and decides to go on a killing spree, taking a teenage girl along with him.

The film is okay in my opinion. It tries to bring some points across and delivers some fair criticism on modern society. However, it does do this in a very unsubtle, unrefined and unclever way in my opinion. It's all very in-your-face to the point where the main character is almost literally preaching to the viewers. Some may like this approach, but I think I would've preferred the film to be a bit more subtle with its points of view.

For the rest, the film is quite entertaining though. It has a bit of a satirical undertone with lots of black humour.

Anyway, you guys might find this worth a watch. Just don't expect Natural Born Killers, cause that's definitely not what it is like.

At 8/29/12 06:07 PM, lnitroburstl wrote: What do other people think of the movie "District 9"?

I liked it, but I don't think it's anything too special.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-08-30 21:07:06

I'm not familiar with that movie, but I think Sean Penn is great. Bad Boys, Mystic River, State of Grace, 21 Grams, Milk, etc.

And I'm looking forward to Gangster Squad.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-01 12:56:04

I saw ParaNorman today.

I went in with some scepticism because the trailer didn't make it look very good to me. In the end I think it only barely managed to exceed my expectations.

There's a few things I liked about it. I liked how when the zombies came to the town, it were the people who behaved like zombies and the zombies were the victims. A nice swapping of roles there that gave me a chuckle. Secondly, I liked the last bunch of scenes with the little girl. The animation there looked very good.

What I didn't like about it was that most of the humour was quite predictable. The jokes that were already in the trailer seemed predictable to me and it turns out most of the other jokes in the film are as well (to me at least). I did get a laugh here and there, but only scarcely. It didn't really help that most of the characters were very stereotypical either. You got the dumbass bully, the popular high school girl who's worried about breaking a fingernail, the jock... meh.

Overall I'm not very impressed by it. I don't think it's bad either though. I guess kids will enjoy it and I can imagine other people enjoy it as well (hence the good reviews). For me it was just a bit of a miss.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-03 16:47:36

I also lost my Alfred Hitchcock virginity the other day (at age seventeen - a late bloomer, I know :P). I went with Psycho, as it felt like a good introduction. One thing I wasn't expecting was how good the dialogue would be. Every sentence seems to be riddled with subtext, foreshadowing / dramatic irony, or pithy observation. I guess that's one aspect of the film people have found difficult to emulate/homage. I also thought Anthony Perkins was great as Norman Bates. Does anyone have a favourite Hitchcock film they recommend I watch?

I can't watch movies made by people like Hitchcock and Kubrick and Polanski. Hitchcock was a sex offender, Kubrick literally tortured some of his actors, and Polanski's a rapist. So good films as they are, can't support that.

Glides is done with his post.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-03 21:10:37

At 9/3/12 09:01 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 9/3/12 04:47 PM, Glides wrote: Hitchcock was a sex offender, Kubrick literally tortured some of his actors
Wait, what? Can you back those up?

I know Hitchcock was a massive creep towards Tippi Hedren. Ruined her career after she refused his advances, or so she claims.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/tippi-hedren-hitchcock-genius-e vil-deviant-011724950.html

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-04 15:50:23

At 9/3/12 04:47 PM, Glides wrote: I can't watch movies made by people like Hitchcock and Kubrick and Polanski. Hitchcock was a sex offender, Kubrick literally tortured some of his actors, and Polanski's a rapist. So good films as they are, can't support that.

I really can't take someone seriously who misses out on some of the best films ever made just because they don't like the directors' personalities. Most geniuses have a mark of lunacy about them. Furthermore, it's not like you can "support" Hitchcock or Kubrick considering they're both long dead. You're just flat out depriving yourself by not watching 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, Barry Lyndon, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby, Rear Window, Psycho, Vertigo, North By Northwest, etc...

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-04 16:15:10

At 9/4/12 03:50 PM, Ptero wrote:
At 9/3/12 04:47 PM, Glides wrote: I can't watch movies made by people like Hitchcock and Kubrick and Polanski. Hitchcock was a sex offender, Kubrick literally tortured some of his actors, and Polanski's a rapist. So good films as they are, can't support that.
I really can't take someone seriously who misses out on some of the best films ever made just because they don't like the directors' personalities. Most geniuses have a mark of lunacy about them. Furthermore, it's not like you can "support" Hitchcock or Kubrick considering they're both long dead. You're just flat out depriving yourself by not watching 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Shining, Barry Lyndon, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Chinatown, Rosemary's Baby, Rear Window, Psycho, Vertigo, North By Northwest, etc...

It's not personalities for me, it's criminal acts. If it was personalities, a lot more people, especially Mel Gibson, would be on that list. Granted, I don't like Gibson anyway. But a "mark of lunacy" is a very different thing than attempting to rape one of your actresses. Hell, people like Tim Burton have a mark of lunacy and as far as I know, he's never done anything like that.
If they were just assholes, like Michael Bay, then that wouldn't be good, but no reason to not see their films. Those guys did terrible things, and even if they're dead (Polanski isn't), that's no excuse to support them.
This is only a personal preference, and it's not like I'm gonna get pissed if you see "Psycho" or something.
I did see Full Metal Jacket, and it's good until the trainer gets killed. After that it's crap.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-06 11:13:03

I just watched One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, its a pretty good film (not perfect but still pretty great.)

also does anyone else hate it how movies these days have so much expository dialogue and they pretty much treat audiences like children? Are people these days really this stupid or are movie scriptwriters just thinking that is the case when its not? I hope its the latter

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-06 13:36:19

I just went to check out The Bourne Legacy.

A pretty good film in my opinion. I reckon it's one of the better action films I've seen this year. Just two things:

I think the plot got a little too science-fiction-y at some point. I can't remember the other Bourne films being like that, so it seemed weird to me.

Secondly, it is quite a pointless sequel that doesn't really seem to share much in common with the other Bourne films. Jason Bourne is mentioned and referenced a few times, but other than that it's a film all by itself with barely any overlap with the previous series. That is okay, but I think fans of the Matt Damon films will be disappointed in that regard.

Anyway, it is still worth a watch in my opinion.

---

On a side note: I saw a new trailer for Skyfall (the new James Bond film) and it looks really good to me. Bad guy is played by none other than Javier Bardem a.k.a. Anton Chigurh.

At 9/3/12 09:01 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 9/1/12 12:56 PM, Auz wrote: It didn't really help that most of the characters were very stereotypical either. You got the dumbass bully, the popular high school girl who's worried about breaking a fingernail, the jock... meh.
I think at least the first two characters you mention transcend their stereotypes. They become way more round characters as the film goes on.

Sort of, but then their development didn't feel like anything too new to me.

I did really like that that Jock guy said he had a boyfriend at the end. That was unexpected :p

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-07 01:57:51

I don't care what anyone thinks here, and as cliched as it sounds, Superbad is one of my favorite movies.
Possibly the best teen comedy ever. Watch it, it's got a lot of brain for such a funny movie.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-07 10:14:59

At 9/7/12 05:44 AM, SG3 wrote:
At 9/7/12 01:57 AM, Glides wrote: I don't care what anyone thinks here, and as cliched as it sounds, Superbad is one of my favorite movies.
Possibly the best teen comedy ever. Watch it, it's got a lot of brain for such a funny movie.
I'm a big Apatow fan, too. I thought Superbad was great. Have you seen his show, Freaks & Geeks?

Never have, actually, though I've heard great things about it. I should check it out sometime

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-07 18:32:59

I just got back from seeing the Expendables 2, which was freaking awesome, even though Jet Li is only in the beginning. Scott Adkins should have been more involved in the action, but his fight scene with Jason Statham was still cool, even though he'd kick Jason's ass in real life.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-08 11:13:55

Watched 2001: A Space Odyssey the other day.

Amazing movie. Barely any dialogue, and incredibly rich in special effects, landscapes, pretty much all the imagery. And the soundtrack is perfect as well.

The movie is hard on today's viewer though. Its pace is really slow. But it's totally worth it in the end, and those good points I made keep you interested.

The end is confusing and open to many interpretations.

Paved the way to movies like Star Wars, essential to everyone.

Whoever has seen it, what did you think?

I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-08 16:21:31

At 9/8/12 06:47 AM, SG3 wrote:
At 9/7/12 10:14 AM, Glides wrote:
At 9/7/12 05:44 AM, SG3 wrote: I'm a big Apatow fan, too. I thought Superbad was great. Have you seen his show, Freaks & Geeks?
Never have, actually, though I've heard great things about it. I should check it out sometime
The humour's less like Superbad and closer to Funny People, but, yeah, I totally recommend it. I'm also pretty exited to see This Is Forty when that's released.

Funny People was just awful, it was like the reverse of everything Apatow normally does. It was one of the bad Apatow movies, like Walk Hard.

I recently watched Fargo, to expand my Coen Brothers knowledge. I'm not the biggest fan of crime-thrillers, but it was well executed and funny enough that I really enjoyed it. The morality shown was believable and interesting and the locations were nice and fit with the tone of the film.

I think overall, I prefer it to Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou and Burn After Reading, but not as much as Barton Fink or The Big Lebowski. I'm going to have to watch Raising Arizona a third time to properly categorise it.

I've only seen Lebowski and True Grit. No Country for Old Men I turned off, it was boring to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-08 18:38:11

At 9/8/12 03:26 PM, SG3 wrote:
At 9/8/12 11:13 AM, Slint wrote:
Apparently, the ending is supposed to depict Dave's evolution into the star-child. The monolith is meant to be an artefact (I think it's supposed to have been created by aliens / post-humans?) that speeds up the natural process of evolution, hence it's presence when the apes develop tools in the beginning, and the weird, trippy light show you see is Dave's perspective as his mind expands and he's suddenly able to comprehend concepts about reality intangible to man. So the space-foetus majig you see at the end is Dave's evolved state.

Thanks, I think I'm getting the full picture now.
I understood some of that when I saw it, but now it does make more sense.

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-08 20:05:04

At 9/8/12 04:21 PM, Glides wrote:
At 9/8/12 06:47 AM, SG3 wrote:
Funny People was just awful, it was like the reverse of everything Apatow normally does. It was one of the bad Apatow movies, like Walk Hard.

I actually really liked Funny People. It was a little long, but otherwise a nice change from all-out comedy to a semi-serious comedy. Sandler's best performance of recent years, although yes, that's not saying much.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-09 11:41:44

At 9/8/12 04:21 PM, Glides wrote:
I recently watched Fargo, to expand my Coen Brothers knowledge. I'm not the biggest fan of crime-thrillers, but it was well executed and funny enough that I really enjoyed it. The morality shown was believable and interesting and the locations were nice and fit with the tone of the film.

I think overall, I prefer it to Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou and Burn After Reading, but not as much as Barton Fink or The Big Lebowski. I'm going to have to watch Raising Arizona a third time to properly categorise it.
I've only seen Lebowski and True Grit. No Country for Old Men I turned off, it was boring to me.

But, but, but... it's like their magnum opus :(

I enjoyed The Big Lebowski more, but No Country For Old Men is definitely my second favourite Coen brothers film. I liked Fargo and Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou as well. Burn After Reading was a bit disappointing in my opinion.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2012-09-09 19:21:43

On the subject of the Coen Brothers, there films are some of my favourites.

I've seen and enjoyed Raising Arizona, Miller's Crossing, Fargo, The Big Lebowski, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, No Country for Old Men, Burn After Reading, A Serious Man and True Grit. I'm probably in the minority here, but my least favourite film of theres is probably The Big Lebowski (although maybe Raising Arizona, I don't know). Lebowski just didn't do it for me really.

BBS Signature