00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Post-Punk Appreciation Society

8,853 Views | 46 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-03-17 22:41:40

This is a crew developed for those who are fans of the Post-Punk musical genre (or direct spin-offs and relatives,) to come and discuss the music, or for those who may be interested in learning more about the genre to ask questions.

Basic information can be found here

RULESKIS:

1. Try to stay on the topic of post-punk or relative to post punk.

2. No flaming - Sure if you don't like a band, you can say you don't like them and why, but don't attack the person purely because your taste doesn't match his, because at the end of the day opinions are not facts.

3. If you are making a hypothetical claim, try to back it up with some form of evidence, be it factual or circumstantial.

4. If you are unsure of something, ask a question, not only will most people try to do their damnest to answer correctly, it could avoid potential embarassment. e.g. If you think a band is post punk but aren't sure, ask "is (insert band name here) post punk or not?"

5. Take someone's opinion seriously unless it is purely pathetic trolling. You are not the be all and end all of musical knowledge, comprehende?

Anyways, to join:

List your favourite post punk band and why.

Myself, I am an Echo and the Bunnymen guy. The talent of all four of the classic members (Ian McCulloch, Will Sergent, Les Pattinson and the late, great Pete de Frietas,) made songs like "The Killing Moon" (off their masterpiece album "Ocean Rain,) literally timeless and as beautiful today as back in the early 1980's.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-03-18 04:03:36

At 3/18/08 12:32 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Sadly, I bet you knew I was going to mention an Industrial band instead of my beloved Cure or Depeche Mode.

I suspected much, but since Swans have elements of Post Punk and you name dropped Smith and the gang and the Mode, I forgive you.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-03-18 05:19:04

Bloc Party. <3

asdfg

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-03-18 05:32:14

At 3/18/08 05:19 AM, Night-Mare wrote: Bloc Party. <3

I also like whys. They are a good way to start discussion.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-03-19 06:46:30

Right, membership drive time! We need a list of NG users who like Post-Punk and are cool, then this loveable society can grow.

GO!

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-03-20 15:48:10

People should read Rip It Up And Start Again by Simon Reynolds, not only is it a treasure trove of info on post-punk but it's also one of THE great music books by the greatest music journalist of his generation.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-03-20 23:28:14

At 3/20/08 03:48 PM, Mr-Pope wrote: People should read Rip It Up And Start Again by Simon Reynolds, not only is it a treasure trove of info on post-punk but it's also one of THE great music books by the greatest music journalist of his generation.

I will have a look for it in the Uni book store next time I'm there.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-03-21 21:53:40

At 3/21/08 10:29 AM, MickTheChampion wrote: Also, can we restart this club and not use the wee gay face? It really does my head in.

Hey, it was either that or the kissing one.

And you two are like Morrissey and Robert Smith with the way you are at each other.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-03-22 22:13:31

At 3/22/08 08:31 AM, MickTheChampion wrote: Can't we be cooler musicians?

Error: Cannot compute possibility of there being two cooler musicians.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-03-23 20:24:25

At 3/23/08 05:38 PM, MickTheChampion wrote: Robert Smith is kind of cool, but Morrissey is a massive fucking wanker. Fair enough, I like some of The Smiths tunes, but you couldn't pay me to take one of the cunts' solo albums.

Hmm.

*Looks at CD collection, sees five solo Morrissey albums, says nothing.*

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-03-30 20:09:25

At 3/30/08 07:42 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Why DON'T I have an Aswad album or any Morrissey albums? Sure, I have a compilation with an Aswad song and a Morrissey single, but no albums. D=

Morrissey albums are often very cheap. The one that was most expensive for me was "Ringleader of the Tormentors" and that is purely because it was released only the day before I got it.

Also: Can we talk about New Wave too, or is that a big no-no?

I don't mind, just as long as you can link it back to the broad genre of post punk in less than five steps.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-03-31 06:22:13

About the only post-punk band I listen to are Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, who have elements of post punk, supposedly.

I don't understand these 'post' genres.

Actually, I don't understand most genre names.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-04-01 06:14:52

At 3/31/08 04:46 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: I don't tend to seperate Post-Punk and New Wave, but I guess I should, I mean, what's out there about Synth-Pop? :o

Well, many popular music "historians" for want of a better word, consider Post-Punk a darker branch of New-Wave anyway so your non-differentiation is understandable. And really the only major difference other than that is basically most of the founding Post-Punk bands were British in origins whilst the New-Wave ones were American.

So thus through this I have come to the conclusion that New Wave is a perfectly allowable topic of discussion. That and the fact that I heard "Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo being played on the radio for once.

And Kuro, once whilst me and some other musically knowledgable friends were drunk at a party we drew this epic tree diagram on the walls (note use of the plural,) of my mate's flat that explained all the major genre relative links when it came to popular music, pity the writing on it was barely legible and that none of us had a camera cause it would be a really useful as a tool.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-04-01 19:40:17

At 4/1/08 10:26 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Spinning a live rendition of Vengence by new Model Army.

Also been spinnin' Foetus Interruptus, Skullflower, Rammstein. David Bowie and The Fall/ :D

Yeah, I've been spinning The Yardbirds and The Blues Brothers. A shining example of a post punk/new wave fan I am...

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-04-02 07:42:26

At 4/2/08 07:31 AM, MickTheChampion wrote: Ian McCulloch is getting his memoirs published, apparently.

Oh god, I have to buy it. If only to see how many people he rips into.

I still love what he said about U2's "I Will Follow":
"I Will Lead' is the song I would've written"

Pure ego that would make most gangsta rappers jealous with envy.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-04-02 20:41:49

At 4/2/08 02:30 PM, MickTheChampion wrote: Is anyone here in a band?

I have been in quite a few over time playing rythmn guitar or bass mostly, but none of them really got out of the practice rooms as we were more interested in playing for ourselves than others, plus the lineups changed week by week.

But I'm trying to find a line-up for an epic funky rythmn and blues band with a horn section. Cause I'm thinking it's time to give all the local Ska bands a run for their money in terms of horn power.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-04-05 13:34:29

Killing Joke>all

down on the upside

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-04-21 02:00:27

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-04-22 23:30:34

At 4/22/08 12:33 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote:
At 4/21/08 02:00 AM, positively-negative wrote: Smith's b-day! Give him sadness here!!!
On a Smith related note, has anyone ever seen The Mary Whitehouse Experience?

Can't says I have seen them, heard of, yes, seen, no.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-05-01 23:24:24

At 5/1/08 10:49 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Don't tell the Industrial crew, But I prefer Nick Cave to Blixa Bargeld.

Had to be done.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-05-05 11:15:27

Rolling Stone Readers Poll: Top 10 80's New Wave Groups.

Yes? No? What the fuck do these people smoke?

1 + 2 are all good, and in right order too, but The Police? Now as much as I love them, New Wave? No.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-05-05 11:31:31

BTW, forgot, happy birthday Mr. McCulloch.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-05-05 13:27:51

Check out RedCoin, joining the Post-Punk Appreciation Society.

BBS Signature

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-05-05 23:08:35

At 5/5/08 01:14 PM, MickTheChampion wrote: Rolling Stone is shit and makes me sad.

Pretty much. One of my classes at school a few years ago, all there was to do was read RS magazines, I only read a few articles that were decent. Oddly enough one of them was on Fall Out Boy.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-06-03 01:34:12

At 6/2/08 09:28 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: I have a raging boner for Nick Cave.

Moustached or without a moustache?

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-06-04 19:28:03

New Cure single before upcoming 13th studio album.

"The Only One"

Thoughts?

All I have to say is it's sounding very Wish era styled. Have to wait for the next one released on the 13th June along with another single released every 13th of the month with the full album released on the 13 September.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-06-04 19:50:27

At 6/4/08 07:40 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: I neer MOAR Cure though. MOAR!

How much do you have?

And now I have no job. :o

Whore yourself out. I'm sure here with that post count you'll get takers here for sure.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-06-05 05:29:15

At 6/4/08 07:56 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: 138 Cure songs. :'(

More than me then. I also need more Cure, but at the moment I don't seem to get anything that I have to have and go for more "oh that's cool" albums. But come the 13th and 15 of September my two picks for "Must buy albums of '08" come out.

WHEEEEEEEEE! :D

All the more reason for you to runaway to my place and start the king of all Synth-pop groups. WE'LL BE LEGENDS!!!

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-06-06 02:07:52

At 6/5/08 06:29 AM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Eeveryone needs moar Cure!

Yeah, went into biggest CD store in town to buy new single. THE BASTARDS DIDN'T HAVE A SINGLE COPY!! I mean it's the Cure, it is a music store's moral duty to have it. I guess I'll just wait till the 13th of September and then wait two days for Mozz's 9th studio album.

I'm going to pop in and tell my boss why I wont be back. I feel kinda sick, but that may be a lack of food. I hate diets.

You don't need to be thin to be generally awesome I mean look at FunkBRS.

Response to Post-Punk Appreciation Society 2008-06-06 02:22:00

Toadies considered Post Punk? i guess its more grunge than punk but then again . . .

Would you sacrafice your humanity?

BBS Signature