00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CleanCosmos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

966,142 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-10 17:20:10

Speaking of acid trips, does anyone remember the scene from the Disney movie Dumbo, where he starts tripping out and seeing pink elephants and shit?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-10 17:50:12

Soo... would any of you guys be interested in getting involved with a Flash game?

I was talking to some folks about the idea of getting the Art Forum involved with the creation of a game. If we could find a generous coder and an animator to help out (maybe make some templates to guide artists for some of the animations that would be needed) I think we could make something really cool.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-10 17:51:31

At 10/10/09 05:20 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Speaking of acid trips, does anyone remember the scene from the Disney movie Dumbo, where he starts tripping out and seeing pink elephants and shit?

Here's a link for anyone who hasn't seen it or cant remember

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-10 17:57:37

At 10/10/09 05:50 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Soo... would any of you guys be interested in getting involved with a Flash game?

Yeah., Totally into that idea

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-10 17:59:22

At 10/10/09 05:51 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Speaking of acid trips, does anyone remember the scene from the Disney movie Dumbo, where he starts tripping out and seeing pink elephants and shit?

Thats the main reason I started drinking

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-10 18:41:13

At 10/10/09 05:50 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Soo... would any of you guys be interested in getting involved with a Flash game?

Name the type of game and theme, sounds like a plan.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-10 20:23:21

At 10/10/09 06:41 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
Name the type of game and theme, sounds like a plan.

The easiet thing I can think of would be a shooter, the animation is limited and people could go crazy with different ships, enemies and environments.

...or we could make a platformer, there would be a lot more animation involved, but it could turn out pretty interesting as well.

I'm open to any ideas, but those are off the top of my head. =P

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-10 20:43:38

If you NEED drugs to be creative, than I think you need a different hobby.

Also do you need a certain number of submissions to be scouted?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-10 20:47:48

At 10/10/09 08:43 PM, ChillyCheese wrote: If you NEED drugs to be creative, than I think you need a different hobby.

Also do you need a certain number of submissions to be scouted?

Yeah, you need four.

Next person who asks about scouting in da lounge gets their post deleted. 4 realz.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-10 20:54:27

Art forum game collab would be awesome

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-10 20:56:55

Im game (HAHAHAH PUN!) if i can fit it into my schedual, Just let me know the game and what you are looking for and ill do my best to comply.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 00:07:30

Hells yeah that would be really cool! What about a game similar to Streets of Rage, or Final Fight? Basically just need a few sprites per character of them punching, getting hit, and standing still, and a whole ton of people can make baddies for the protagonists to kick the crap out of.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 01:18:17

I was talking to some folks about the idea of getting the Art Forum involved with the creation of a game. If we could find a generous coder and an animator to help out (maybe make some templates to guide artists for some of the animations that would be needed) I think we could make something really cool.

The Flash Forum Lounge may have interested coders in it. I know Toast recently asked if anyone wanted to do art for a game. There's mostly coders in that thread it seems like anyways...

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 03:49:01

i'd love to be a part of making a game.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 04:11:59

a game, sure why not. Just tell me what you need and I'll contribute.

I'm drinking right now, so remind me later of me volunteering for this

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 05:49:20

Couldnt we make it a big brawl game, bit like smashbros, where you just have a wide range of characters to pay with/againts. every artist would have to make one character, should be doable I think.
and some artists should make backgrounds etc.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 05:55:33

il be up for that... i could do animations n stuff no problem... i just have never had the time to look into the whole coding of games... iv done a tiny bit to get a bit of understanding... i know about collisions and the basic moive code... button n stuff... i would be up for it... i think it would do really well!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 08:06:51

At 10/11/09 05:49 AM, J-qb wrote: Couldnt we make it a big brawl game, bit like smashbros, where you just have a wide range of characters to pay with/againts. every artist would have to make one character, should be doable I think.

That sounds good.
My suggestions would be a side-shooter or whatever-this-type-of-game-called

or a tower defense.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 08:11:31

At 10/11/09 08:06 AM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
whatever-this-type-of-game-called

That would be a brawler or a beat 'em up I believe.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 10:03:19

At 10/11/09 05:49 AM, J-qb wrote: Couldnt we make it a big brawl game, bit like smashbros, where you just have a wide range of characters to pay with/againts. every artist would have to make one character, should be doable I think.

A big brawl game like NG Rumble would be awesome, no doubt, but it might prove pretty complicated. I'm willing to try anything, but I think something simple for the forums first foray into the gaming side of things.

Maybe we could have a vote for the type of game people want to do...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 10:10:50

somebody else had an idea for doing a game where each person does their own level, sprite sheets background and such, needless to say it was terminated by renaenae, but that would be a bit harder to do, brawl style game where we do 1 character each please

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 10:21:46

At 10/11/09 10:10 AM, ashman112 wrote: it was terminated by renaenae

sorry, my bad ...won't happen again.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 10:56:16

If we were to create a game, I'd say a sidescrolling shooter would most likely be the best.
A brawler needs animations - idle, kicking, death, movement, etc... while a sidescroller would only need an idle pose. Shooting and dying could be animationless.

Basically, I'm saying that a brawler would only work if we had a skeleton animation and then could draw the different parts of the body - head, hands, legs, etc - to be used in that animation. See Chaos faction and Unreal Flash

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 10:56:26

At 10/11/09 10:10 AM, ashman112 wrote: somebody else had an idea for doing a game where each person does their own level, sprite sheets background and such, needless to say it was terminated by renaenae, but that would be a bit harder to do, brawl style game where we do 1 character each please

Perhaps an accomplished programmer could be enlisted, in order to assemble the game from the artwork and sprite sheets that would be supplied by the Art Forum Regulars who wish to aid the conception and creation of the said game, thus lessening the amount of work placed on the one in charge of placing the game into production and release and also allowing individuals who wish contribute a reasonable level of creational freedom.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 10:59:41

I'm with AwesomeSaurus on making it a Double Dragon type brawler.

Each character would basically need only 5 sprites (left/right leg forward, punching, hit, dead).

Plus, these games are usually very over the top, so people could go crazy with their designs.

Latest Blog Entry - thx

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 11:39:15

I think the side scrolling shooter would work pretty good just because all you would need to design would be a static image. But the beat-em-up game sounds like fun.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 12:12:41

At 10/11/09 11:39 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I think the side scrolling shooter would work pretty good just because all you would need to design would be a static image. But the beat-em-up game sounds like fun.

Yeah a sidescroller shooter game would probably be best because the animations are simple enough yet the amount of enemies and graphics could be endless. It could also get a few different artists in without making their styles clash (background art, player, enemies, bosses could have different styles and it would probably work fine).

the events are merely fictional, written, directed, and acted out by all who create them

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 12:49:15

totally wants to do a character or background(s)

for this

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 13:37:22

So far we have suggestions for:

A multi-character brawler (NG Rumble)
A scrolling brawler (Double Dragon)
A scrolling shooter (Gradius)
A platformer (Super Mario Bros)

Should I set up a voting thread? Are there other types of games we can think of that would work for this?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-10-11 13:59:50

At 10/7/09 01:26 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote: I've no complaints against matts-likes-swords pic, but flipping heck, the reviews .... !

I like how every single comment has the word "boobs" at least once...

BBS Signature