00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Care2mchBEAR just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

958,078 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 18:00:47

At 9/24/09 05:56 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: so it's true then, you guys can only scout 2 per day.
To be honest I didn't come across this guy from the unscouted section. he actually came to me and has been an annoyance ever since.

what you mean you guys i thought you were scouted, and yeah i put that ekim guy down in his reviews his mates all voted 10 lol

in unrelated news why cant i get scouted?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 18:04:30

At 9/24/09 06:00 PM, ashman112 wrote: what you mean you guys i thought you were scouted

in unrelated news why cant i get scouted?

Actually I am scouted, but Captain-Ben told me I was on probation with my abilities, and I kind of cost jonny his abilities.
Which BTW I'm still wiling to deal to get his back.

as for you not getting scouted, you have 4 public works right?

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 18:07:18

At 9/24/09 06:00 PM, ashman112 wrote: in unrelated news why cant i get scouted?

in related new... read the help/faq, submitting art section!!!

Do NOT ask to be scouted! Do not ask in the Forums or send the staff a Private Message about being scouted as these will only hurt your chances. Just submit at least four pieces of quality art and be patient, someone will find you! Every single person with art in the Art Portal has the ability to scout others, so there will be a lot of people with their eyes peeled for great submissions.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 18:08:53

At 9/24/09 06:04 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Actually I am scouted, but Captain-Ben told me I was on probation with my abilities, and I kind of cost jonny his abilities.
Which BTW I'm still wiling to deal to get his back.

as for you not getting scouted, you have 4 public works right?

oh right, poor jonny i guess you scouted someone who ben didnt think was good enough
i think i know who it was lol

yh i got 4 public pieces but 3 are madness day art collab bits so i think thats the problem

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 18:22:23

At 9/24/09 06:08 PM, ashman112 wrote: oh right, poor jonny i guess you scouted someone who ben didnt think was good enough
i think i know who it was lol

yh i got 4 public pieces but 3 are madness day art collab bits so i think thats the problem

actually I was trying to help another user and asked him to scout them, and it cost him his scout abilities. So yeah I'm pretty much responsible for it. I'm pretty much willing to sacrifice any of my abilities to right my wrong.
I guess the only thing you can really do is just wait until some one notices you

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 18:26:55

yh i guess so its the wait that kills me i want to get to scoutin people but hey nothing i can do about it
moving away from my scout issues please next topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 18:30:14

Next topic...
I'm drinking a class of orange juice....>.>

random? well you asked for it

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 19:12:47

At 9/24/09 06:30 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
random? well you asked for it

Even more random: I'm posting in a reg lounge i'm
not actively apart of. Hi.

Also, I'm drinking chocolate milk.
They're both delicious choices but I
do prefer it over the OJ, as illustrated by
the opinionated diagram seen below.

Bored? I am. :)

Art Forum Lounge

what

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 19:15:53

some one actually responded to the oj comment, now I am shocked o.0......

Chocolate is too sweet, I need the bitterness of OJ

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 19:18:01

I brought a 24 pack of chocolate milk up with me to residence. It's delicious.
On the other related note, yes I lost my ability to scout, but oh well. I had a good scouting run I guess...

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 19:28:44

At 9/24/09 07:15 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: some one actually responded to the oj comment, now I am shocked o.0......

You're welcome. <3
Some mornings I have an intense
craving for orange juice, though.

No pulp though, please.
People who have to eat their super
pulp-pumped orange juice are just grosssss.

what

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 19:34:15

Cover-up complete.

Anyway, seriously folks, do not request to be scouted or request for others to be scouted anywhere on the BBS.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 19:44:16

LISTEN UP!!!

DO NOT DISCUSS/COMPLAIN/ARGUE ABOUT A USER (OR YOURSELF) BEING UNSCOUTED OR HAVING YOUR SCOUTING PRIVILEGES REVOKED.

If you are angry about it, or think it was unfair than PM a mod about it. This thread is for general discussion and discussion about art. NOT about Art Portal affairs.

Failure to abide by this rule will result in the post being deleted.

Thanks to Ben for writing this up in the first place...

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 20:06:58

At 9/24/09 07:18 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I brought a 24 pack of chocolate milk up with me to residence. It's delicious.

I just drank my last chocolate milk.
It was soooooo good, but now I'm sad because I have no more.
Oh well, the caf has chocolate milk. Also, maybe when I go home I'll pick more up.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 20:09:32

At 9/24/09 08:06 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I just drank my last chocolate milk.
Oh well, the caf has chocolate milk. Also, maybe when I go home I'll pick more up.

yeah I'm all out of OJ too,

No more refills :'(

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 20:15:07

At 9/24/09 08:09 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 9/24/09 08:06 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I just drank my last chocolate milk.
yeah I'm all out of OJ too,

i got oj so unlucky haha

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 20:16:22

At 9/24/09 08:09 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: yeah I'm all out of OJ too,

Yeah, I'm out of OJ too. I brought up an OJ carton as well, but I finished that on sunday.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 20:21:07

eh, me being out of oj is probably for the better though,
although I can't see why

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 20:23:06

Unrelated to current beverage discussion (which I side with chocolate milk), but. . .

Any art-forumers pick up ODST? Firefight mode its totally addictive and amazing, except you can't use matchmaking to find players, you have to invite from your friends list. Anyone wants to add me my tag is Doctor Awes0me (O in awesome is a zero)

possible incoming Halo/360 hate flame war?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 21:14:30

At 9/24/09 08:23 PM, AwesomeSaurus wrote: (which I side with chocolate milk,)

Much love; now about Halo...

possible incoming Halo/360 hate flame war?

maybeh.

I'll try to remain unbiased, but
is ODST really any more fun?
Halo isn't quite my fancy.

And it never has been. I've never found the original, or
any of the sequels for that matter, that interesting or fun.
To me it's just a stereotypical FPS fanboy game.
But if it floats your boat, it floats mine. <3

I guess they get points for not naming it "Halo 4"...

what

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-24 23:27:39

holy mother of jesus christ's dingleberries, my studio classes are so fuckin boring...
too much discussion, too many retarded projects that don't even help our portfolios.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-25 00:48:20

At 9/24/09 11:27 PM, Fleshlight wrote: holy mother of jesus christ's dingleberries, my studio classes are so fuckin boring...
too much discussion, too many retarded projects that don't even help our portfolios.

Do tell, do tell. Are they entry level? do all you do is shitty still lives and straight up boring ass model on stand in room drawings?

Or are they the kind that the 6 hours is spent critiquing and all work is to be done at home?

Elaborate bitch.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-25 09:11:31

Elaborate bitch.

no I'm done with the foundation classes like still life and design 1. Those classes were actually enjoyable. Now, all I do is read a 30+ page essay about something related to art, each week, and then talk about it in class. Then we have a couple of projects to work on at home and bring it in. But they're so pointless and boring. We're basically making minimalist work, just so we can deconstruct every single insignificant detail from it.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-25 09:43:08

this is one of the things i hate about art as a subject... the main focus is on "what does the author depict... what story does it tell... where did they get inspiration... why is this scribbley red line on a blue canvus amazing?..." followed by... now fill in three sketch books about one lame topic... you have to do this over your holiday break... and when you come back... we give you three more... i spent most of my time drawing clothes and cloth... fabrics and metal... shiney things... as anime is frowned apon... >:(...

it doesnt matter how good your art is... if you havent got the english to back it up... with all the total crap you have to write about how deep a picture is... when in fact its just a quick scribble to fill up a page... learnt alot from other people drawing and painting then the teachers... its nice to see the styles and ideas from all the creative minds... but i do feel your pain fleshlight... iv been there to...

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-25 12:37:34

At 9/25/09 09:43 AM, LegolaSS wrote: it doesnt matter how good your art is... if you havent got the english to back it up... with all the total crap you have to write about how deep a picture is... when in fact its just a quick scribble to fill up a page...

I have to agree with you, every art class I've taken
studies a lot about the artist's purpose, tone
and such almost like it's a piece of literature.
What if I wanted my artwork to say nothing at all?
Although that's pretty much impossible,
focusing on what the artist meant to say is just stupid.
I like enjoying what the person made, rather than wasting time
wondering "Now why in the hell did they make that?"

Sorry if that sounded like a rant. :3

what

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-25 12:44:18

To be honest I'm glad I'm pretty much done with all those "Learning" classes for the next three months it's solid practice and extra projects.
I get to finish all my portfolio stuff in the next three months and graduate in December (If I pass everything of course). But I must say the hours and hours of lecturing over the most ridiculous shit was always about to drive me crazy. I always thought, "Damn, I could be 3D modeling right now."

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-25 13:39:54

At 9/25/09 09:43 AM, LegolaSS wrote:
it doesnt matter how good your art is... if you havent got the english to back it up...

This is absolutely true. As an introverted person, I wasn't able to express verbally what my art was "about" and thus couldn't get into the art school of my choice. It's a sad thing when bullshitting about what art "means" is held in higher regard than a persons talent and skill at it.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-25 15:10:27

Well, mostly its because so that you can learn how to sell your concept or 'Why my design is way better than the other guy.' something like that anyway.

I seen lots of very talented guys but the subject that they are assigned to create is often a miss.
These guys are more likely never to be art directors, just the guys that do the 'grunt' work.
Forever.

Let me give you an example of what some old classmates of mine did.
The class assignment was to make an ad usually seen in magazines, or at least a convincing one.
This group decided to make a beer ad.
And it did look like one of the prettist ads in our class except for a few things.

It was put in a teen mag. (Underage drinking...)
They used a certain popular Korean drama in the ad that the main audience would range from teen girls, young ladies to housewives...(Wrong sort of audience)
And they couldn't explain why in the world that they need to use this 'combination'...

And its not just advertisements that need solid ideas, movies, tv shows, comics/manga, websites...Yes even this website we are currently foruming on have good (can I say great?) solid ideas (EVERYTHING, BY EVERYONE) to bring people in.

Think its just pretty pictures?
Think again.

If you are so introverted that you know you're in trouble,
Then CHANGE. That's what I did. Read some books and take public speaking classes. DO SOMETHING!

Art classes have been around for a few hundreds of years, so they do know what the hell they are doing.

Of course, you don't have to listen to what I said and you can continue to whine only to find bitter experiences to chew and burn you out.

These is all I can muster up...
What I said is a mix of my experiences and other people.
Till next time or none at all.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-25 15:20:27

At 9/25/09 03:10 PM, Emerald-Mara85 wrote: A LOT

A good 1/3 of my major is learning to sell your self. So that is nothing new.
And so far I have been taught two methods of describing my work. Elaborate or Straight foward, I prefer the Straight method, it suits me more

BTW congrats on first post, I think :P

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2009-09-25 16:41:31

At 9/25/09 01:39 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote:
At 9/25/09 09:43 AM, LegolaSS wrote:
it doesnt matter how good your art is... if you havent got the english to back it up...
This is absolutely true. As an introverted person, I wasn't able to express verbally what my art was "about" and thus couldn't get into the art school of my choice. It's a sad thing when bullshitting about what art "means" is held in higher regard than a persons talent and skill at it.

yea, its surprising how important the meaning to your work is..Makes sense thought, since people have been painting no more than black squares on a canvas..