00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Krayon's art thread.

7,011 Views | 88 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-09-05 02:38:51

And final piece number 2! Still have yet to name it, something along the lines of "Time's final victory". This was about double A3 size add ten cms something like 60X80 I think, haven't measured it lately. All colouring and a little bit of inkwork. Not perfect but I still like the way it turned out.
Enjoy :)

Krayon's art thread.

Forum sig? Whats that.. 3D art thread, My art thread

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-09-16 00:37:23

Next and final art piece, still in the preliminary stages. Unfortunately I'm going to have to rush it a bit as I've only got about a week left. Comments and crits if you will. yeah I know his pinky finger's out of proportion... current size = A3. Lighting and other similar details will come with the coloured version.

Krayon's art thread.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-09-16 01:05:02

Excluding one, these drawings just look kind of...flat. Even the drawings that are shaded are lacking. You have some decent ideas, but the characters, to me, look flat, bulky, and out of proportion. Give them some life. The colored picture of the man in the boat looked well done.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-09-16 01:06:58

uuh, Im so used to it to paper and pen that 3d results me so hard. It really is cool what you can do in 3d I loved the blade is really beautyful.

Lemme change your perspective with a lecture, Bla, blah, blah....

BBS Signature

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-09-16 01:07:47

Thanks for the advice, but could you elaborate on the flat part and the others... I've been trying, use my latest as an example. As to bulky... well you do kinda look bulky with about 3 inches of solid steel strapped to you =).

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-09-22 08:36:17

Thanks for the comment Oni-Kaya, yeah 3D is ridiculously hard when you're new like me. Just do tutorials till you get it =). It seems to screw me overevery second edit but I find if you keep at it you eventually pull through.
Working on colouring the final piece, transferred it to a 60 X 86 cm sheet double A3, I think it's 86... Anyways here we are, sorry about quality, it's on a table, no scanner we have will take that size and the lighting wasn't good.

Krayon's art thread.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-09-22 09:25:38

At 9/5/08 02:38 AM, Krayon wrote: And final piece number 2! Still have yet to name it, something along the lines of "Time's final victory". This was about double A3 size add ten cms something like 60X80 I think, haven't measured it lately. All colouring and a little bit of inkwork. Not perfect but I still like the way it turned out.
Enjoy :)

I really like this, nicely done.

Release your inner crazy.

BBS Signature

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-09-23 07:51:01

Thanks Lucy. That's my favourite one so far, out of the drawn ones.
Final piece completed at last, spent the last 9 odd hours finishing it. I sorta ran out of time so the background is really rushed. The teacher was happy with it, and as long as she gives it an A I'm happy with it. Camera was crappy and the lighting was too, had to do a bit of editing to make it look better.

Krayon's art thread.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-09-23 08:59:45

At 9/23/08 07:51 AM, Krayon wrote: Final piece completed at last, spent the last 9 odd hours finishing it. I sorta ran out of time so the background is really rushed. The teacher was happy with it, and as long as she gives it an A I'm happy with it. Camera was crappy and the lighting was too, had to do a bit of editing to make it look better.

I love the colouring on this, it fucking owns.
<3 your colouring.

But, your actual drawing... I dunno.
I mean it looks great, don't get me wrong. Just a couple small anatomy issues.
For one, the body looks quite... bulky. It may just be his armour, but still, its a bit to geometric.
His weapon looks a tiny bit too small, but thats personal pref.
And lastly, his head looks a tiny bit too small, but I guess thats just perspective and how you draw.

That being said, his feet and stance look fantastic, as does the background.

I love this pic. Well done.

My Art Thread! || Flash Reg Lounge! || CTSG Collab! :'( //

"And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun, for the people who are still alive..."

BBS Signature

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-10-13 06:55:21

Thought I'd re-upload as the previous shots didn't do the images justice, these are a bit better and carry the colour better.

Krayon's art thread.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-10-13 07:31:17

The larger versions can be found here and
here.
Their respective names are:
The Final Battle, Time
A Questionable Hero.
Enjoy =).

Krayon's art thread.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-10-13 07:38:57

The links didn't work for some reason:
Here
and Here.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-10-13 23:41:06

At 10/13/08 10:12 AM, squf wrote: blender is a horrible 3d manipulation program you should get MAYA buddy

I've heard the same about maya... Anyways it costs way way too much, I'm still in school man!

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-10-14 01:39:42

I've looked through your thread and even though i must agree by saying most of the pencil drawings is flat, the one that impressed me was the funeral barge, because personally i can see a nice amount of depth in it, even if the water effects weren't too great. Overall good job on everything, nice work on the A3 picture, the only thing that bothered me a lot there was the absence of fore-shortening on the double axe, otherwise very good.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-10-15 07:42:24

Darn! Should have said it before! It's mist, not water, and the teacher wanted extra dark there so I put it in. Yeah, I know, the foreshortening was screwed, actually, if you follow out the perspective lines (which one of my good mates did, he also happens to be a stickler for correct proportions etc) you'll find that it isn't actually that far off. Another note to those who have problems with the proportions, my mate, who also happens to have studied anatomy quite thoroughly as he did a medical degree, checked it over and said it was basically spot on except for a few areas around the head and skull pauldron region. Also, as to his bulkiness... well, you kinda get a bit square when you have to carry about a hundred kilos or so around, but considering that armour, it probably would have weighed close to two hundred, including everything underneath. Which consists of several layers of leather and chain mail.
Also a passing note, that isn't necessarily related but might be later, the longbowmen in medieval times, contrary to popular belief were not skinny little elves but probably built closer to the size of a blacksmith. Apparently their bones were warped from the strength of their muscles... pulling a longbow is VERY difficult and requires a lot of training.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-12-04 04:32:40

Alright, I think it's high time for an update, and this time with something I'm a little more comfortable with... robots!
Still in the sketching stage, I'm still outside my comfort zone though... as usual, you'll probably notice that most of the projects on this art thread are. I'm having a go at using my tablet pc and since paint.net is the only program that works with the tablet pc capabilities I'm using that.
Yeah, I tried photoshop.

Krayon's art thread.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-12-04 12:44:49

NICE!!! But don't you think that the hilts of the two swords are a bit too short?

My Artworks | DVF Arms Developing | Red Triad Dynasty (RTD)

Join the NGPD today! Simply PM TailsPrower! To Blam & Protect!

BBS Signature

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-12-04 22:03:51

Not really, they're mostly one handed or hand and a halfers (Bastard swords.)

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-12-05 08:18:46

oh. I see. then they're great! XD

My Artworks | DVF Arms Developing | Red Triad Dynasty (RTD)

Join the NGPD today! Simply PM TailsPrower! To Blam & Protect!

BBS Signature

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-12-05 17:28:37

You're incredibly good at details and all the little things but your anatomy is really off and it bugs me. Your heads are too small and your chests too big. I really do like your stuff but serioulsy need to work on body proportions. Good luck in the future!

Formerly PieLover61

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2008-12-07 01:41:13

At 12/5/08 05:28 PM, PieLover61 wrote: You're incredibly good at details and all the little things but your anatomy is really off and it bugs me. Your heads are too small and your chests too big. I really do like your stuff but serioulsy need to work on body proportions. Good luck in the future!

Yeah I know, I'm working on it. Haven't really had time to take some shots of myself and do a proper character study yet though.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2009-01-21 00:52:11

Got some new stuff, they're for an rpg I'm in right now, and are good practice. This one is called Lady's Tears.

Krayon's art thread.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2009-01-21 00:53:59

This one is a lot trickier, could someone give me some advice on doing the glossy leaves because for the life of me I cannot work out how to do it. Calahar's Rose.
Both were done in paint.net which has not got a smudge tool, every single colour had to be had blended. Arrgh, that takes ages!

Krayon's art thread.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2009-05-19 01:14:16

Recent project I'm doing, will post a finished copy. It's supposed to be as it is, enjoy =P. First try at a female subject and a digital character. I also used a number of references, so it's relatively accurate. C&C appreciated.

Krayon's art thread.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2009-05-19 01:17:46

This is part of the previous picture, not finished, and pretty stuffed up. I'd appreciate some help on proportions. I can't make him any taller, it's the arms and legs that are at issue.

Krayon's art thread.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2009-05-19 09:51:01

Thanks, I don't know how I managed to miss that.

Anything else, anyone?

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2010-04-10 14:55:50

Alrighty. Threadnomancy heeere I come!

Neways, thought I'd share a few of my latest creations. This first one was my project for a uni 3D modelling class, and also for a website designer. I was forced to use 3DS Max for the majority of it, and, well. It was bad. No. It was a fiasco. While I respect the program for it's functionality, it's useability is absolutely horrific. That program is also very unstable. I nearly lost my project several times due to corrupt files, and lost hours of work thanks to program crashes - even after saving regularly. My friends also experienced similar problems. It's a wonder I managed to finish at all, given that by the end of the project the program was crashing every five or so undo's. And if that didn't work, every hour or so.

Ugh. I really, really, really, despite that horrible program. I've heard 2010 is better though. So we'll see.

That material was done in Blender. Even though I didn't include any materials - gave up when it just wouldn't render properly - I got a distinction for the model. So it impressed the teachers enough. Five minutes in Blender fixed the materials and rendering. A few hours got most of the mesh cleaned up. Did I mention that the modelling tools were counterintuitive? Yeah. Well, they are.

It's an air pump by the way.

Rendered in the that georgeous alpha version that is Blender 2.5.

Krayon's art thread.

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2010-04-10 15:55:14

At 4/10/10 02:55 PM, Krayon wrote: Rendered in the that georgeous alpha version that is Blender 2.5.

Blender is aweso indeed!

I didn't really get the part about the material of it though, was it like a material setting? or did you create a texture for it?

Anyways, it looks highly professional!
Good work!
How many hours did you spend on this?

BBS Signature

Response to Krayon's art thread. 2010-04-11 13:57:02

The material was a simple procedural noise with the spec turned up and a tiny bit of mirroring. Nothing particulary difficult. I tried to do exactly the same thing in Max and it screwed up for some reason. The specular lighting wouldn't work and whatnot.

I spent about six weeks and I dunno how many hours on it, I wasn't allowed to use blender, so I basically had to learn everything over again. I woulda done it in half the time at least otherwise. Overall time spent was probably about 60 hours or so. It's quite a complex object, and I made the dumb mistake of not splitting it up, which meant that keeping the edge loops in place was nearly impossible. Actually, it was. Which made things just that much harder.

Couldn't even add a darned subsurf modifier in the end without it looking like a bouncing castle. -.-