00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

We Need Gun Control

78,872 Views | 1,234 Replies

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-11-30 11:00:02

At 6/14/07 10:16 AM, Stridestrikes wrote:
At 6/13/07 04:05 PM, altanese-mistress wrote: To put it simply: We Americans loves our guns. LOVES our guns! The whole defense for having the second amendment is to be ready to topple the government if it ever became tyranical, and damnit we're more than willing to give up free speech, free press, public trial, etc. to have them.
GOOD ON YA MATE CHEERS THATS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT

The stupid part is that you guy's don't even see the ironic illegitimacy here it is quite funny really.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-01 17:11:09

At 11/30/12 11:00 AM, leanlifter1 wrote: The stupid part is that you guy's don't even see the ironic illegitimacy here it is quite funny really.

the stupid thing I see is that we are exercising a right we are entitled to and being criticized for it.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-01 17:14:51

At 11/30/12 11:00 AM, leanlifter1 wrote: The stupid part is that you guy's don't even see the ironic illegitimacy here it is quite funny really.

the stupid thing I see is that we are exercising a right we are entitled to and being criticized for it.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-01 17:18:46

sorry connection on my phone crapped out on me sorry for that repeated double post

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-01 22:13:15

I had a mod lock Maybe Guns are not as good an idea thread due to the fact we already have a gun control thread.

go ahead make my day.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 12:17:39

Okay, the gun vs plane/car thing is ridiculous, so I'll clear that up now.
A gun is a tool. A rock, is a tool. Airplanes and Cars, are tools too.
Tools cannot do anything by themselves, neither can any other object which is inanimate.
However, the reason they are tools is because they have been constructed with an intent purpose in mind.
Take the rock, for example.
A rock is just a stone, but if sharpened and cut, can be turned into an arrow head.
Both the Rock and the arrow head are made of stone, so why was the arrow head made?
Because the purpose of the arrow head is to kill, and that is the reason it was invented; there was a need to increase the odds of killing, whether to hunt or defend, and so the stone became specialized. True, you can kill with a stone, but it is more effective as a hammer than as a killing item for, say, hunting. The arrowhead, on the other hand, is more effective for hunting than as a hammer. It was made with that purpose.
Just because something is made with a purpose however, does not mean it can't have other uses; that is why humans have survived; it is called creativity. That arrowhead could be attached to a stick and turned into a spear, and the spears could be used to make protective fences, and so on. However, the arrowhead will always be better for what it was made for - hunting - just like the spear will always be better at piercing than a protective fence (hence the reason barbed wire was invented).
Same with guns, cars, and airplanes.
Yes, and airplane can kill, but look at the practicality of it; once used as a "weapon", the user dies, not to mention that it costs millions to make, and finally that a missile, which is designed for the purpose of destroying, would be more effective at that task anyways. That is why airplanes are not commonly used to kill people.
Cars: The odds of killing many people with one car are low, and again, once used as a "weapon", can kill the user, and are also costly.
Guns: If you use it to kill, it will most likely do that. The user is left alive, and can keep killing, and its much more cost effective and efficient than many, many other items.
Hence, the purpose of a gun is to kill.
The purpose of airplanes and cars are to transport.
You equating that all airplanes/cars are weapons simply because they can kill is the same as me equating that all guns are hammers simply because I can use one to hammer in a nail in my bedroom.
Guns are killing tools, and tools were created to be used.
Its true you may not have the intention kill someone with a gun, but say you had your gun, and someone comes at you with a knife screaming "Ima KILL YOU!", would you;
A) Shoot him.
B) Get in a car and attempt to run him over on grass.
C) Get in an airplane (yes, you have an airplane in this scenario), warm up the engines, and crash into him?

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 12:20:26

At 12/1/12 10:13 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: I had a mod lock Maybe Guns are not as good an idea thread due to the fact we already have a gun control thread.

go ahead make my day.

We need another thread other than this one that is not filled with gun toting, flag waving, nationalist/fascists and boarder line sociopaths.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 12:23:35

At 12/1/12 10:13 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: I had a mod lock Maybe Guns are not as good an idea thread due to the fact we already have a gun control thread.

go ahead make my day.
and FYI Gun Control doesn't work.

Then way does more gun control = less gun related crime and homicide ?

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-japan-virtually-eliminate d-shooting-deaths-2012-7

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 12:57:31

Also, here is a debate in which addresses the mortality rate of guns vs knives (stab wounds)

http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/1997/02/24/knives-00006/

With the data presented, and data from a solid source, it shows that guns are more fatal than knives, one of the most common items that would be used if guns were not present (if anyone wants source of that claim, I can provide it as well).

As someone earlier posted, if guns were not accessible, people would use other weapons such as knives and poisons to achieve their means, but as we will see here, guns have higher mortality rates than other common items one could use to kill. Not only that, but its much harder to kill 10 people, for example, with a knives (or related objects) than with 1 gun (will also provide that data upon request, just that I've been busy today)

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 16:36:22

At 12/2/12 12:20 PM, leanlifter1 wrote: We need another thread other than this one that is not filled with gun toting, flag waving, nationalist/fascists and boarder line sociopaths.

BBS rules and this thread is well established.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 16:48:16

Of course I am not going to argue that Knives and cars are just as dangerous as guns but I will say that no matter what they can be used as weapons and do kill alot of people like guns but thats because I use the "come great power comes great responsibility" idea it all matters on how the person uses it FOR GOOD OR FOR BAD. but if its any constellation the average citizen can only legally buy hunting firearms (hunting rifles, shotguns etc.) if you want buy semi auto like Ar-15s and handguns you have to fly straight and narrow. If you want to buy full auto you have to fly straight and narrow file for a Class III Weapons License with the ATF. of course you can own AR-15s and handguns if you buy them from a private seller and you keep them exclusivly in your house or if you take it to a shooting range.

you break any of these rules you can lose you firearms permits and be nulled from them for life or face prison time.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 18:21:15

At 12/2/12 04:48 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Of course I am not going to argue that Knives and cars are just as dangerous as guns but I will say that no matter what they can be used as weapons and do kill alot of people like guns but thats because I use the "come great power comes great responsibility" idea it all matters on how the person uses it FOR GOOD OR FOR BAD. but if its any constellation the average citizen can only legally buy hunting firearms (hunting rifles, shotguns etc.) if you want buy semi auto like Ar-15s and handguns you have to fly straight and narrow. If you want to buy full auto you have to fly straight and narrow file for a Class III Weapons License with the ATF. of course you can own AR-15s and handguns if you buy them from a private seller and you keep them exclusivly in your house or if you take it to a shooting range.

you break any of these rules you can lose you firearms permits and be nulled from them for life or face prison time.

In Texas, you pay 90$ and you can have a concealed handgun license. You just take a test and that's it.

Also, My earlier post explains it; just because anything can be used as a weapon doesn't mean it is a weapon. That is why if, given the choice, people will kill someone with a gun rather than a rock; because a gun is a weapon designed for kill.

To put simpler, what is your reason for having a gun?

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 19:15:40

At 12/2/12 06:21 PM, Revo357912 wrote: In Texas, you pay 90$ and you can have a concealed handgun license. You just take a test and that's it.

*Minimum requirements for application for a concealed firearms permit are:

Applicant must be at least 21 years of age.
Proof of good character...whereas the applicant;
has not been convicted of a felony;
has not been convicted of any crime of violence;
has not been convicted of any offense involving the use of alcohol;
has not been convicted of any offenses involving the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances;
has not been convicted of any offenses involving moral turpitude;
has not been convicted of any offense involving domestic violence;
has not been adjudicated by a court of a state or of the United States as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed.
*A criminal background check is conducted for all applicants.

they do a full scope Background search State and National. these requirements also pertain to Class III weapons and these negate alot of people from obtaining one.

To put simpler, what is your reason for having a gun?

Self-Defense, Competitive, Hunting, some are shiny (OOOOH), because I can.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 19:47:37

At 12/2/12 07:15 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 12/2/12 06:21 PM, Revo357912 wrote:
Self-Defense, Competitive, Hunting, some are shiny (OOOOH), because I can.

:Self-Defense

In other words, part of the reason is to kill. It may also be the main since it is what you listed first.

And they don't enforce that as much as they should. It is fairly easy to go and buy a gun by just showing your id, and many places also don't even ask for id. Me and my friends and their friends know this well, and some of them don't even know much about guns.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 20:12:53

Self-Defense

Having a gun is not defensive it is offensive. I suggest to you to invest in proper martial arts training for some good self defense as well to get your ego checked on a regular basis.

GUNS

Offensive
Ego boosting
loud
messy
waste of resources
inconvenient

MARTIAL ARTS

Defensive
Checks ego
Keep in shape
Good for all around heath, mind, body, sprite
Personal improvement
Promotes positivity, discipline, ethics, hard work, dedication, confidence

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 20:39:59

At 12/2/12 08:12 PM, leanlifter1 wrote:
Self-Defense

Offensive
Ego boosting
loud
messy
waste of resources
inconvenient

MARTIAL ARTS

Defensive
Checks ego
Keep in shape
Good for all around heath, mind, body, sprite
Personal improvement
Promotes positivity, discipline, ethics, hard work, dedication, confidence

mostly opinion....

got any proof?

Some of the things you post are just pure bs. Ego boosting? Loud? no shit it's loud thats why you where hearing protection, not having it won't make you deaf unless you constantly shoot without hearing protection.

waste of resources? Messy? not at all. They clean easy. Proper training can teach discipline and self confidince. They're not really inconvient either. Although transporting handguns/paperwork can be hassle depending on where you live.

I don't own any handguns though....

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 21:04:22

At 12/2/12 07:47 PM, Revo357912 wrote: And they don't enforce that as much as they should. It is fairly easy to go and buy a gun by just showing your id, and many places also don't even ask for id. Me and my friends and their friends know this well, and some of them don't even know much about guns.

of course you show a ID they do a quick background check and you get it if you pass. as for those places that don't ID they either are being negligent or those are repeat customers they deal with, if thats not the case that FFL Dealer is breaking the law and be reported.

At 12/2/12 08:12 PM, leanlifter1 wrote:
Self-Defense
Having a gun is not defensive it is offensive. I suggest to you to invest in proper martial arts training for some good self defense as well to get your ego checked on a regular basis.

GUNS

Offensive

depending on the situation.

Ego boosting

if you been trained to stay disciplined that will not be the case.

loud

given

messy

point and shot unless you hit the head you will redecorate that wall.

waste of resources

$300-$900 for a firearm and .50-1.25 a bullet casing can be reused.

inconvenient

not very if you carry it only take a small space of your belt on your waste and a extra magazine.

not true unless your trained. most of the time its assholes who think they are fucking Rambo. if you have been trained to stay cool and disciplined firearms are very effective for self-defense.

MARTIAL ARTS

Useless.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 21:11:05

At 12/2/12 08:12 PM, leanlifter1 wrote: MARTIAL ARTS

sorry screwed up the post I meant to say Useless unless you are unarmed but against someone trained with a firearm (with non of that movie bullshit) your fucked just for the simple fact that you have a sizable space between you and the firearm wielder you dont have any chance to do your little jackie chan shit. and most of the time that is the case.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 21:18:52

At 12/2/12 09:04 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
not true unless your trained. most of the time its assholes who think they are fucking Rambo. if you have been trained to stay cool and disciplined firearms are very effective for self-defense.

Martial arts trains discipline gun ownership does not train discipline guns enable a false sense of security and ego.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 21:31:08

At 12/2/12 09:04 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 12/2/12 07:47 PM, Revo357912 wrote: And they don't enforce that as much as they should. It is fairly easy to go and buy a gun by just showing your id, and many places also don't even ask for id. Me and my friends and their friends know this well, and some of them don't even know much about guns.
of course you show a ID they do a quick background check and you get it if you pass. as for those places that don't ID they either are being negligent or those are repeat customers they deal with, if thats not the case that FFL Dealer is breaking the law and be reported.

I can think of 30 places that violate the law then, not to mention certain gun conventions where all you need is an id showing that your 21 and over to get in and buy, no background check needed, and then just fill out a little paperwork stating that the seller is not responsible.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 21:55:36

At 12/2/12 09:18 PM, leanlifter1 wrote: Martial arts trains discipline gun ownership does not train discipline guns enable a false sense of security and ego.

right.. you obviously never been properly trained it takes alot of discipline one wrong move you get shot or you shoot someone innocent, proper handling, making the right choices in everyday life to retain your right to have firearms.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 21:58:26

At 12/2/12 09:31 PM, Revo357912 wrote: I can think of 30 places that violate the law then,

where do you live mind my asking? then you have a strong suspicion you should report it to those assholes in the ATF, but if they do a investigation they look into background checks being conducted by the dealer and the amount of firearms being sold and various other factors (which I don't know because I can't stand the ATF) then they determine if there was any wrong doing.

but if what you say is true they are breaking quite a few laws state and Federal.

not to mention certain gun conventions where all you need is an id showing that your 21 and over to get in and buy, no background check needed, and then just fill out a little paperwork stating that the seller is not responsible.

that would be the gun show loop hole you have to show ID to get in, Private sellers all you need is cash seller is not at fault, but the FFL dealers that sell there must do the Mandatory background check.

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 22:02:31

At 12/2/12 09:55 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 12/2/12 09:18 PM, leanlifter1 wrote: Martial arts trains discipline gun ownership does not train discipline guns enable a false sense of security and ego.
right.. you obviously never been properly trained it takes alot of discipline one wrong move you get shot or you shoot someone innocent, proper handling, making the right choices in everyday life to retain your right to have firearms.

What are you going to do when a person is faster and trained in martial arts disarms you and turns the gun on you ? You better get some proper Martial Arts training before you think about a gun. You can't win against logic.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 22:14:21

At 12/2/12 10:02 PM, leanlifter1 wrote: What are you going to do when a person is faster and trained in martial arts disarms you and turns the gun on you ? You better get some proper Martial Arts training before you think about a gun. You can't win against logic.

You've been watching to many movies. Bullets are faster then people.

Common sense isn't so common anymore

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Fanfiction Page

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 22:25:46

At 12/2/12 10:14 PM, LordJaric wrote:
At 12/2/12 10:02 PM, leanlifter1 wrote: What are you going to do when a person is faster and trained in martial arts disarms you and turns the gun on you ? You better get some proper Martial Arts training before you think about a gun. You can't win against logic.
You've been watching to many movies. Bullets are faster then people.

No you have been watching to many movies if you think you can walk around like Clint Eastwood. We have Police that we delegate responsibility in society to protect people and I rather have them packing heat rather than joe blow. Guns are an idealistically ego pump for civilians not a necessity unless you are a hood rat, drug lord, or some other breed of criminal in which case you should be disarmed and locked up anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 22:32:01

At 12/2/12 10:25 PM, leanlifter1 wrote: No you have been watching to many movies if you think you can walk around like Clint Eastwood. We have Police that we delegate responsibility in society to protect people and I rather have them packing heat rather than joe blow.

bullshit we live in a country were pizza gets delivered faster to us than cops arrive to a emergency call. and thats why we have stand our ground and Castle Laws to PROTECT US in the case where the nice police officer isn't there.

Guns are an idealistically ego pump for civilians not a necessity unless you are a hood rat, drug lord, or some other breed of criminal in which case you should be disarmed and locked up anyway.

and they are a 5% minority of firearm and the remaining 95% are law abiding citizens how many fucking times do we have to say that to you?

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 22:47:54

At 12/2/12 10:25 PM, leanlifter1 wrote: No you have been watching to many movies if you think you can walk around like Clint Eastwood. We have Police that we delegate responsibility in society to protect people and I rather have them packing heat rather than joe blow.

Cops can't be ever where at every moment of the day. Until they show up, you're on your own. A cop miles away isn't going to be able to do much for when some criminal is breaking down you door with the possible attent to do you warm.

Guns are an idealistically ego pump for civilians not a necessity unless you are a hood rat, drug lord, or some other breed of criminal in which case you should be disarmed and locked up anyway.

I'm going to guess that you've never even held a gun in your life. Because there are plenty of law abiding citizens that have that don't commit crimes. I've held guns before and never even thought about committing a crime. not even an ego boost.

And you have clearly never been in a situation where having a gun came in handy. Case and point, The Mason has shared stories of burglars breaking into his home when he was there, in which he locked himself in a room and warned the criminal that he was armed, that was enough to get the criminal to leave without a shot fired.

Having a gun doesn't make people all gunhole at every turn as you so fanatically believe. Just because there are some nutcases with guns doesn't make everyone with a gun a nutcase.

Common sense isn't so common anymore

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Fanfiction Page

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-02 22:48:33

At 12/2/12 09:58 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 12/2/12 09:31 PM, Revo357912 wrote: I can think of 30 places that violate the law then,
where do you live mind my asking? then you have a strong suspicion you should report it to those assholes in the ATF, but if they do a investigation they look into background checks being conducted by the dealer and the amount of firearms being sold and various other factors (which I don't know because I can't stand the ATF) then they determine if there was any wrong doing.

but if what you say is true they are breaking quite a few laws state and Federal.

not to mention certain gun conventions where all you need is an id showing that your 21 and over to get in and buy, no background check needed, and then just fill out a little paperwork stating that the seller is not responsible.
that would be the gun show loop hole you have to show ID to get in, Private sellers all you need is cash seller is not at fault, but the FFL dealers that sell there must do the Mandatory background check.

I'm in Texas, now in Houston (at least it ain't Alaska). And Houston isn't anywhere near as bad as Laredo and other border cities, easiest place to get a gun in the world is probably there, that includes automatic weapons as well (maybe even some explosives like grenades). Funny thing is, I did report one of them to the ATF since I thought they were going a bit too over board, but they still be up and selling.

My point was to show you how easy it is to get guns in America, and that's why we need stricter control.

You yourself have also admitted that one of the reasons you own a gun is the same as mine; self defense.

But if you plan on using it for self-defense, then that means you also plan that the attacker may also have a gun. You see how the cycle goes? Since its easy to get a gun, the bad people will get a gun, which makes good people want to get a gun too since they are now under powered, which means that someone will most likely die since both parties are using a tool designed with the intent purpose to kill.

I'm not saying to let the nation go like Japan either (even if data shows that deaths are lower because of it), I'm saying that it needs our current system needs to be slightly more stricter and much much more monitored.

BBS Signature

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-03 04:31:36

At 12/2/12 10:48 PM, Revo357912 wrote:
I'm in Texas, now in Houston (at least it ain't Alaska). And Houston isn't anywhere near as bad as Laredo and other border cities, easiest place to get a gun in the world is probably there, that includes automatic weapons as well (maybe even some explosives like grenades). Funny thing is, I did report one of them to the ATF since I thought they were going a bit too over board, but they still be up and selling.

you still need a Class III weapons permit for full auto and grenades (live military) are off limits you could get concussion and flash bangs, smoke sure. and usually the ATF doesn't do much in Texas unless if it deals with the border conflict with mexico so they probably didn't give a shit. plus with the whole Fast and Furious thing the ATF just has another embarassment to add to their collection which doesn't help with their image. hell some people and government officials are thinking of dissolving the ATF and putting it into a department in the FBI.

My point was to show you how easy it is to get guns in America, and that's why we need stricter control.

not always best since the Supreme court has already passed many Pro-gun lobby rulings and what they say is law.

But if you plan on using it for self-defense, then that means you also plan that the attacker may also have a gun. You see how the cycle goes? Since its easy to get a gun, the bad people will get a gun, which makes good people want to get a gun too since they are now under powered, which means that someone will most likely die since both parties are using a tool designed with the intent purpose to kill.

its a never ending cycle sure but theirs one thing the regular jerk off has to go jump through hoops to Carry concealed or open and if they do there are VERY strict guidelines. unlike criminals who don't play by rules. and the average citizen wont just go buy a handgun because you need a permit and go through a background check and if you dont have either No gun for him/her, and most americans don't have the connections to get one, or want to break the law with a heavy sentence in prison.

for the average citizen who unlawfully carries or conceals is a felony 3-8 years+ depending if they decide to try to stick more shit on you. not worth for a regular person

Response to We Need Gun Control 2012-12-03 09:22:52

At 12/2/12 10:47 PM, LordJaric wrote:
Cops can't be ever where at every moment of the day. Until they show up, you're on your own. A cop miles away isn't going to be able to do much for when some criminal is breaking down you door with the possible attent to do you warm.

If you want to wear a gun like a cop I suggest you be required to become a Cop so we know whom to place the responsibility on gun ownership and use upon otherwise we will just have a society full of dumb vigilantes that think they know the law and responsibility that come with wearing a WMD. Also not everyone wants or needs a gun and you know what I don't want guns around myself my family and kids.

Just because there are some nutcases with guns doesn't make everyone with a gun a nutcase.

Just because there are some nutcases with WMDs means we need to disarm everyone sorry about that but harder gun laws and less guns in public hands means less homicides and other gun related crime and this statistically proven. Read the article I posted above.

BBS Signature