00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Peacock6k just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

the N-Word

2,754 Views | 51 Replies

the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:31:12

In class we are reading the Adventure of huckleberry Finn and if yo know anythin bout American literature in that book it uses the word nig*er quite a bit. When we read it in classes kids go out of their way when they come to the word and say they will not say that word. So instead of using ni*ger we say "slave" now. Can some one remind me where we are living? O yeah America, where freedom of speech is excised. If you are not using the word ni*ger in a offensive way or not directly calling someone a ni*ger why be sacred to say it? You have no intention of do harm. I hate walking on eggshells when saying this word. And no i am not racist but then again everyone is racist to an extent.It's part of us now to judge just by stereotypes. Now black people get all angry that we(white people) use this word, they are showing their ignorance when they get mad at the word when it is NOT used offensively. If it's not used in a derogitory way then why go out of your way and say that person is racist? This has been on my mind. What you guys think?
*nice newgrounds woun't even let me even type out the whole word ni*ger without censoring it*

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:33:31

So instead of using ni*ger we say "slave" now

Slave is even a more terrible word than the N-Word.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:36:07

Freedom of speech applies to voicing your opinion, not saying any cussword you'd like.

Also, not everyone is racist. Sure, we judge based on race, but that doesn't make you racist. Racism is, in essence, hating another racial group.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:38:08

Your just NOT supposed to say it.
Take me and some random guy for example.

If the random guy calls me the "n" word. It's hurtful and MOST LIKELY used to be offensive.
Now say I was talking to an African American and we say the "n" word to each other, it's more just us being playful.
Admittably, it's not something I'd willingly do in public.

It is the way of things.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:38:22

At 3/27/07 11:33 PM, Jintux wrote:
So instead of using ni*ger we say "slave" now
Slave is even a more terrible word than the N-Word.

Yeah if not just as bad.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:39:52

I think nigers are great, everyone should own one.

Yeah that's right, 80s joke. Let's go do the electric slide now everybody.

Love the American Dream, with a vengeance.

BBS Signature

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:40:38

Not everyone is different you know...

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:41:19

At 3/27/07 11:38 PM, DarkPhazon wrote: Your just NOT supposed to say it.
Take me and some random guy for example.

If the random guy calls me the "n" word. It's hurtful and MOST LIKELY used to be offensive.
Now say I was talking to an African American and we say the "n" word to each other, it's more just us being playful.
Admittably, it's not something I'd willingly do in public.

It is the way of things.

Yeah and it should be that with a white guy. IE:
If I am talking about the adventures of huckfinn to my black friend and I say " Yeah that book uses the word nig*ger a lot"
that should be acceptable and he has NO right to get offended.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:41:59

America : Noun : What happens when the whole world comes together; a place full of hypocrisy and loopholes.

BBS Signature

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:43:33

Some people find it offensive, that's why Newgrounds doesn't allow you to freely type it.

As for your class, that's kinda bullshit that you can't say it, since it is from a book written in the time where words like that were socially acceptable.

REAL TALK: you better go get a glass of orange juice & spill it all over yourself likea big dumb baby before i tear through your hymen like a dog tears through a piece of meat

BBS Signature

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:44:00

At 3/27/07 11:39 PM, Nicko9y wrote:
At 3/27/07 11:31 PM, DraGoN-RaGe-9001 wrote:
*nice newgrounds woun't even let me even type out the whole word ni*ger without censoring it*
Ni66er?

Ha that works too. Didn't think of that.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:45:57

dude you just started huckleberry finn? i finished it a long long time ago...
but anyways, it doesn't really matter, they start to use it less in the later chapters but reuses it in the end. Mark Twain is just pointing out racism, so it doesn't really matter.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:47:59

At 3/27/07 11:36 PM, D3NTATUS wrote: Freedom of speech applies to voicing your opinion, not saying any cussword you'd like.

what if your oppinon involes swaer words? also "cuss" sucks ass.

Also, not everyone is racist. Sure, we judge based on race, but that doesn't make you racist. Racism is, in essence, hating another racial group.

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."

- Dale Gribble

Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:48:04

Im sorry, can you pass me that ore, N word Jim...

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:49:54

What's funny is the fact that more, or maybe even all, of those kids would carelessly use the word in private or at home but they all pretend to be horrified at the mere sight of it. Perhaps they don't want to say it for fear of social retribution. There is always the chance that someone may get offended or you may somehow be looked upon as hateful for using the word. Or perhaps, if you're like me, you wouldn't want to say it in a room full of your peers simply because it's a vulgar word. I would not want to have to say it just as I would not want to have to say something like "cum" or "cunt" or "ballsac" or any other offensive term.

~¥%¥%+oint##so soft ¤%% ++-%¥-~-^->

BBS Signature

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:52:25

I would have just said it. If anyone gave me shit, I would say, well black people have no problem saying it!

bro at me come

BBS Signature

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-27 23:55:17

That's my opinion.
Do what ya gotta do.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-28 00:07:52

unfortunetly this word is here to stay and people will say it but I can see where you are coming from that I(being white) will never understand how it feels since I didn't go throug hsomething lie kthis. But still it's part of our literature we should embrace the dialect of that work of art instead of handicapping literture works. It gives the stories tone and brings you back to that slavery era.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-28 00:13:59

I had to read Tom Sawyer and that book used the n word a lot too

if we typed as carelessly as we talked then jcndkfbnasovmaskdvnsdvnasfibjnfb.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-28 00:17:24

Glad we can see eye to eye.Powerful words like that can strike a nerve and out side of literture like refering to a black man as a ni66er is hurtful and demeanig.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-28 00:18:04

It shouldn't be used. Well, "cracker" and other racial slurs should not be used either. Sure, they may not have the same magnitude as the "dreaded n-word", but they should be omitted from our language too, if we are trying to be fair. Also, Blacks (and "wiggers") should stop using the word even if they end it in "a" instead of "er". From there, Blacks should change their speech patters (ie, say "ing" instead of "in", use "he is" instead of "he be", etc.) Also, stop behaving in such a way that would make other races hate us, even if the particular individuals were not originally inclined towards hating us. Think it'll ever happen? Nope. With the hispanic influx on our nation, anti-Black racism can only get worse.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery"

Personal Development

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-28 00:24:00

Hah, it's funny because instead of saying a general derogatory term for black people, you're calling all black people slaves.

If anything, it's worse now.

But I know I'd be a bit wary of saying it in a class full of my peers, just in case it offends anyone for some stupid reason.

For the same basic reason that I'm wary of saying 'cunt' when I'm saying something to the whole room.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-28 00:32:35

Well, I'm normally opposed to saying the N-word since although I do have freedom of speech, I also take that freedom with responsibility. Trust me, words are powerful things.

BUT, in the case of Huck Finn, where Mark Twain intentionally used the N-word to satarize its usage by making it look like a stupid insult, not saying the N-word kinda defeats the purpose of reading the novel.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-28 00:35:24

At 3/27/07 11:36 PM, D3NTATUS wrote: Freedom of speech applies to voicing your opinion, not saying any cussword you'd like.

BULLSHIT

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-28 01:22:00

Words are only offensive when somebody takes offense to them. By walking on eggshells around the word, any word, you give it power. By being offended by it, you give it power. The speaker can say the word and mean it to be offensive. However, it becomes offensive when the recipient becomes offended by it. I'm part Polish, somebody can call me a dumb Polak. Now should I be offended by it. No. I give the offender power over me by being offended. Simply by ignoring the effect of it, the word loses its harmful meaning. Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn should be allowed to be read in class without editing. It's simple education of what simply was commonplace in the south at that time. Its annoys the hell out of me when people get offended because they think they should be offended, even more so the 'offended' is doing out of some rote dogma.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-28 01:30:51

justy, i agree 100% as to why some words are still around and others are lost to history. don't give the word power and you're golden.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-28 01:58:12

I always say Ni66er. Im not racist but I just say it. I must have said it 100 times today.

We're meat and that's it. So lets fuck it, fuck it, fuck it.

Minecraft: JuJitsuLipShitz

BBS Signature

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-28 03:04:51

At 3/28/07 01:22 AM, JustyHakubi wrote: Words are only offensive when somebody takes offense to them. By walking on eggshells around the word, any word, you give it power. By being offended by it, you give it power. The speaker can say the word and mean it to be offensive. However, it becomes offensive when the recipient becomes offended by it. I'm part Polish, somebody can call me a dumb Polak. Now should I be offended by it. No. I give the offender power over me by being offended. Simply by ignoring the effect of it, the word loses its harmful meaning. Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn should be allowed to be read in class without editing. It's simple education of what simply was commonplace in the south at that time. Its annoys the hell out of me when people get offended because they think they should be offended, even more so the 'offended' is doing out of some rote dogma.

I agree somewhat because there are cases in which people cannot simply ignore it. You seem to be oversimplifying the issue.

And saying the N-word in Huck Finn shouldn't be done because of virtue or the first amendment. It should be read becuase that was Mark Twain's intention. By observing the frequent usage of the N-word, you see how stupid some of the south was (no offensive). It may seem like a southern person's racist point of view, but it actually mocks the stupidity of those people. By saying the N-word, you are doing justice to Mark Twain's novel. That's the top reason you should say it. Otherwise, you should just lay down the book and go onto another since you completely miss the point.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-28 03:20:28

At 3/27/07 11:31 PM, DraGoN-RaGe-9001 wrote: ...why be sacred to say it?

Who's scared to say it?
We've always joked around saying things like "You're my little nigg*r" and stuff like that to our mates because they know we use it openly and not as a racial term. The only reason people still see "Nigg*r" as a racial term is because of all this offence that goes around with it. If everyone stopped comparing everything to the past things like this would no longer exist.

Response to the N-Word 2007-03-28 03:37:52

It is funnier to say Nig*ger than it is to say African American citizen.

Used in a humorous manner it's quite harmless depending on who you say it to, but used in an offensive manner, it can be dangerous and cause possible injuries.

I personally don't care when people call me whitey, cracker, or any other creative term us humans can come up with. All the're used for is to classify a distinct ethnicity in a joking or offensive manner.

Don't say nig*ger when a nig*ger's in the room, cracker when a cracker's in the room, beaner, I'm sure they're more , hell they have one for every color, don't they?

mrrrrrrmmphhhhHHRRRRAAHHHHHHHHHHHHM MMHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH