00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Heretoplayarnd just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds changed me.

2,677 Views | 57 Replies

Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 03:00:29

Before I start this long topic, I am going to just open up by saying the following.

"Yay. 2000 posts."

Good. Now that that's over with....

Backstory (If you don't want to read about me, don't read this part.)
I remember when I first entered Newgrounds. The games were cool, something new. Then, I discovered the BBS, and was almost instantly hooked. See, Newgrounds was my first BBS, and probably is still my favorite ones. For my first 100 posts or so, I would always try to contribute, being almost robotish in nature. Then, I learned how to loosen up and have a little fun.

And that's when the real entertainment started. Participating in fads, watching them start, watching them die, getting cyber friends, and opening my mind to fresh, new ideas. When I first entered the BBS, I was a timid, conservative, homophobic, racist 12 year old. Now, about a year and a half later, I can really see how Newgrounds has been a mentor to me. I really learned tolerance, acceptance, and other such traits.

But, then, it just went downhill. I lost all interest in Newgrounds. I took maybe a monthlong break, becoming almost stonelike in nature. But here's the kicker. I loved it. I had lost all grip on myself. I had lost my mind. I had really almost become emoish in nature. Really becoming dark, and disgustingly depressing.

Then, I came back to Newgrounds, because I had just gotten over the phase, as it seemed to pass quite rapidly. I was almost sickeningly cheerful. But, that soon changed, for the better. Newgrounds mellowed me. Pointless debate after pointless debate had soon changed me, expanding my mind once more, making me become less cynical by the day.

And this brings us to today. My two-thousandth post, my two thousandth contribution. Which, brings me to my point.
Start Reading here if you skipped the backstory

Newgrounds.. the familiar topics, the familiar identities. It may seem dull to some, pathetic to others, but to me, it's my online home. People who aren't all nessecarily popular, who actually seem different from the rest of the swill, combining and making a true online paradise.

Through my 2000 posts here, I've seen it all. Experienced it with many different people. The alts, the fads, the debates. Annoying, but when you look back, was it? Or was it just a lesson in tolerance once more, opening your mind to characters, and people who wanted to be different in a different way, if you get my meaning.

Now, I know most of you come on Newgrounds, to get away. To take a trip to a place where your kind is optimum. But, whether you realise it or not, you may just be learning something from Newgrounds.

Look at any poster from around 2002. Look at their very earliest posts. For the most part, they may be chicken scratch, picture spam, stupidity defined. Now look at them today. What are they? That's right. Model posters. People you want to trust online.

Which brings me to my question: How has Newgrounds changed you, or how have you changed while on Newgrounds?

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 03:03:39

At 11/13/06 03:00 AM, Triple-Merc wrote: Which brings me to my question: How has Newgrounds changed you, or how have you changed while on Newgrounds?

I hate humanity on levels unbeknownst to mankind.

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 03:07:46

At 11/13/06 03:03 AM, MidnyteRayne wrote:
At 11/13/06 03:00 AM, Triple-Merc wrote: Which brings me to my question: How has Newgrounds changed you, or how have you changed while on Newgrounds?
I hate humanity on levels unbeknownst to mankind.

I was like that already.

I just hate them even more, now.

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 03:08:46

At 11/13/06 03:06 AM, Crash60590 wrote: It has for me.

I used to be very nerdy 5 days ago.

Now that I visit Newgrounds everyday, it's changed be into a 'cool' person. It's so weird!

You see that backstory? That's a story over the course of a year and a half. 5 days won't change shit. I know you're being sarcastic, but I spent alot of time thinking about this topic, the least you can do is be serious.

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 03:25:07

At 11/13/06 03:10 AM, Crash60590 wrote: Ok. I'm half a neRd now. I'M BEING SERIOUS THIS TIME...

Dude, no offense, but Newgrounds hasn't changed you unless you've lurked for a RIDICULOUSLY large amount of time.

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 03:30:29

I think the NG BBS made me sick of Bedn jokes.

Sorry. No EDIT button. :(

-Rommel

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 03:42:10

At 11/13/06 03:30 AM, RommelTJ wrote: I think the NG BBS made me sick of Bedn jokes.

Stole your patience like he stole the candy.

KIDDING. Jeez.

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 03:43:04

At 11/13/06 03:00 AM, Triple-Merc wrote: I remember when I first entered Newgrounds. The games were cool, something new. Then, I discovered the BBS, and was almost instantly hooked. See, Newgrounds was my first BBS, and probably is still my favorite ones. For my first 100 posts or so, I would always try to contribute, being almost robotish in nature. Then, I learned how to loosen up and have a little fun.

same here for the most part... i love me some NGBBS

And that's when the real entertainment started. Participating in fads, watching them start, watching them die, getting cyber friends, and opening my mind to fresh, new ideas. When I first entered the BBS, I was a timid, conservative, homophobic, racist 12 year old. Now, about a year and a half later, I can really see how Newgrounds has been a mentor to me. I really learned tolerance, acceptance, and other such traits.

you learned all that in real life, or just e-life. either way, right on brotha

it's my online home

same here once again

Look at any poster from around 2002.

nah, got other crap to do. but thanks for the suggestion

Which brings me to my question: How has Newgrounds changed you, or how have you changed while on Newgrounds?

i think that for the most part, ppl follow what you have outlined here. but every now and then some moron with 7k posts shows up and blows it all out of the water, and leaves you thinkng, that guy is a complete and utter moron.

Posting from my Epic 4G on the now network

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 03:44:09

Newgrounds seems to have improved my confidence in real life, I don't know how, but it has.

I hardly ever come here anymore....

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 03:46:46

The internet will never be able to change me ;)

I do what i want, when ever I want.

OMG ME FTW

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 03:48:09

At 11/13/06 03:43 AM, Hardog wrote:
At 11/13/06 03:00 AM, Triple-Merc wrote: Look at any poster from around 2002.
nah, got other crap to do. but thanks for the suggestion

I was speaking of course, not literally but rather just to make a point.

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 04:03:11

Well, I started to spend more time in the internet.
I started to learn Flash.
All your base are belong to us.
I know English much better.

I mean these : Lol, OMG, stfu.

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 04:19:43

At 11/13/06 03:48 AM, Triple-Merc wrote: I was speaking of course, not literally but rather just to make a point.

yeah, i know, just trying to razz you a little. i am bored, sue me.

Posting from my Epic 4G on the now network

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 04:22:32

Triple-Merc digivolves to...

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 04:32:54

newgrounds changed me too
newgrounds even tied my shoes

hohhaha

did u get it

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 05:32:07

I saw FUCK YOU YOU FUCKER by the now deleted Chrome- and started liking cruddier stuff.

Fear is the Mind Killer.

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 05:34:30

At 11/13/06 03:06 AM, Crash60590 wrote: Now that I visit Newgrounds everyday, it's changed be into a 'cool' person. It's so weird!

Really? I felt that it had more of an opposite effect for me.

But if anything, it has made me learning more of other countries' people and culture easier than actually being there somehow. Maybe it's the human input/output.

Not to mention that it has brought to my attention how stupid things can really get (i.e. less confidence in Humanity as a whole).

Next Release ETA: ?

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 05:34:39

It's changed me too, instead of goin out with my friends and partying i stay on the computer all day and night just to get my stats up, oh yeah

Wi/Ht? level up! Lounge || Elite Guard Barracks || Review Request Club || NGLog

I watch an unholy amount of films

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 07:52:49

At 11/13/06 03:03 AM, MidnyteRayne wrote: I hate humanity on levels unbeknownst to mankind.

Me too. 04 users <3.

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 07:56:32

At 11/13/06 07:52 AM, ATIFunkFire wrote:
At 11/13/06 03:03 AM, MidnyteRayne wrote: I hate humanity on levels unbeknownst to mankind.
Me too. 04 users <3.

03 > 04 :D

[ woman vocalizing ] [ man speaking backwards ] last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 08:00:05

So like.. this means it's ok for low levels such as myself to spam?

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 08:46:12

dude, thats just like me, only i wasnt a racist and i was kinda smart for a twelve year old.
anyways, thats like my story only its... yours....
anyways happy 2000th!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 09:33:48

I learned how much people lie! :)

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 09:35:29

dude, what the hell? this is NEWGROUNDS man! this where wankers like Josh Bedn are...he stole my cadny btw :(

get used to it...yes it has change me too, positivly

http://www.interstellarmarines.com/

the best AAA Indie game in the making, help the game by spreading the word! ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 09:42:11

The BBS made me improve my spelling and grammer (and possibly typing speed) a fair bit, and I'm very... bitter now... whenever I hear someones opinion that makes no sense. I used to deal with those people nicely, and try to persuade them, but now I just act like a dick until they straigten up.

Which'll never happen. So I usually end up being a dick to that person for a fair while...

pervokative.bandcamp.com

pervokatively provocative perverted person

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 10:26:57

Newgrounds helped me by teaching me how to have fun, and it slightly improved my sense of humor over the past year.

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 10:28:51

I learnt English here. Thanks.

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 10:37:29

<£ Newgrounds

He'd Look Just Like You'd Want Him Too, Some Kind of Slick Chrome American Prince.

Tweet//LastFM//Qwantz//Blog

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 10:37:57

At 11/13/06 07:56 AM, Robotussin wrote:
At 11/13/06 07:52 AM, ATIFunkFire wrote:
Me too. 04 users <3.
03 > 04 :D

I have both an '02 and '03 account, and I used to have an '04 account but Wade deleted it after I left some character flood reviews and harassed him and was in the SS and whateva.

I can't wait to get an '07 account or two. 7 is a much better number than 6.

Response to Newgrounds changed me. 2006-11-13 11:29:06

Jesus what a tosser.