00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KiichigoInu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Would you like to be a mod?

100,456 Views | 1,605 Replies

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 00:48:25

1. Forum mod
2. Review mod
3. Audio mod

XBL GT: SleepyB 408

I Xbox 360 Club I MLB Club I

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 00:49:23

I woudnt mind being a review mod. I dont have much to do.

d

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 00:52:51

Cool deal. If I had my choice, I would be a forum mod. This is the only forum I ever really come to so it would be cool. Plus I have a little experience. I've been a mod on three other forums but they were all small and none of them are still running.

Anyway Wade, if you need a forum, review or icon mod, I'll be ready and willing to serve NG any way I can.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 00:56:13

Reasons I would like to be a mod:

Here are some reasons I would like to be a mod. Firstly, I will number from 1 - 4 of the type of I mod I will like more, 1 being the best, 4 being the worst.

1-Forum mod: I usually browse the General forum alot, and I see alot of spam, and unnecessary posts pertaining to the rules.

2-Review mod: When I look at reveiw in the portal, I usually see some users reviewing movies or games, and they sometimes put all zeros and harass the author of that movie/game, and I don't think that the author deserves it, even if his submission wasn't that great. The reviews may also discurage great animators to stop making movies/games.

3-Audio mod: This will probably be an easy job, while it could also be very hard. I really don't look in the audio portal to purposely find stolen music, but there are probably loads of it. I will still do the job, but I fell that it will not be my strongest point for being a mod in this position.

4-Icon mod: I also think that this will be a very easy job, yet a hard one at times. I rarely see people on the BBS with profound icons that are against the rules. It could be that I don't really take the time to look at other user's profiles, I sometimes do. I will still accept this position, I believe it will be my weakset point in moderating on this site.

Here are some reasons I think I would make a great mod on the forums.

I am mostly on the internet, and on this site everyday, for a great amount of time.

I understand all of the rules for the BBS, and it wouldn't be a hard job for me.

I believe that, at sometimes, some current mods overlook some topics that could be, and are, against the rules.

Some mods, at some times, just lock some topics from new users without giving the users an understanding of the rules, even though this is sometimes not true, a lot of current mods do give some tips on how to be a good poster.

I also believe that I am ready for this position, and I will do a great job at it.

Here are some times that I could be on this site, even though the times could vary.

5:00 PM - 9:30 PM weekdays
12:00 PM - 1:00 AM Saturdays
12:00 PM - 9:30 PM Sundays

Please be aware that sometimes I will be busy with other stuff, but I will try to be on most of the time.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:00:47

Oh! I forgot to say that I have been forums for a while with over 140 post so far. I also make flash and I'm level 9 with over 1330 experiment points. Make your decision whatever you want to make me a mod or not. I recommend to do so and I'll do my best to do my job.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:11:05

If I were to be made a mod I would most like to be a forum and/or review mod. It would be a hard choice to choose one over the other, both I imagine would entail a good deal of responsibility. But if you forced me to choose I believe I would rather be a forum mod (just barely though).

(1st choice forum mod, 2nd choice review mod, audio and icon mod positions I would gladly accept but I don’t have much experience in those areas.)

I am on Newgrounds every day for at least a few hours, sometimes it’s all day if my schedule permits. Most of my spare time I spend on Newgrounds but unfortunately my schedule isn’t very consistent. I am always on (with very few exceptions) from 11:00pm to about 2:00am (give or take) but that time only accounts for about half of the total time I spend here, if that much. It varies from week to week but I might spend 40 hours a week on Newgrounds, some weeks it could be a lot more. I am also always on three to four afternoons or mornings a week for at least a few hours. With all that said, becoming a mod would undoubtedly increase the amount of time I spend here.

I would make a good forum and/or review mod because I’m fair and understanding. I’m generally polite and I try to set an example for other users to follow on the BBS. My post count may not be very high but that is only because I take the time to read through everything that has been said in any given topic before I post, not only does this take time (preventing me from posting more frequently) it also helps me to determine what is and isn’t a spam topic to ensure I don’t post in one.

On a more personal note, I came hear almost a year ago and simply thought that it was a cool site, I saw some awesome animations so I decided to create an account so I could review them. I later found the BBS and started posting, it was fun but what I didn’t realize at first was the type of community this site attracted. With few small exceptions what I have found in my time here is a pleasant and fun group of people, I almost feel like part of a family (dysfunctional though it is :P), it just kills me to see users abusing this for whatever reason (or lack there of). It’s even embarrassing when people join Newgrounds only to act like idiots, if I could help change that…, well let’s just say few things would make me happier :)

I don’t expect to be made a moderator but if I were I would gladly accept the responsibility of making this a more pleasant place for everyone. I love this site and because of that I care very much about it too. This, of course, would not change regardless of a few new shiny buttons and a green name.

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I just thought you all should know :)

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:11:22

lol what's a mod? peple should be nice to each other, if they were then you wouldnt need to keep tehm from the posting. It gets so cold outside that peple have nothing else to do but internet and brush their bunnies ^___^ I could be a good mod if it means helping peple.

=:) BUNNIES (:=

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:17:32

ForumMod, I'd delete trash, similar to what I do at clockcrew.net... I figure that's a long enough explanation, you don't need an essay.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:17:42

At 10/16/06 11:31 PM, WadeFulp wrote: So if you had the chance, which type of mod would you like to be? Keep the reponses professional, and on topic. Also indicate what time, or times, you are most active on Newgrounds and how much time you spend on the site. Basically your response should be like an essay, stating what type of mod you'd like to be, and why you'd make a good mod.

Probably similar to 90% of the requests, being a forum mod would be ideal, and although I do not spend much time reviewing or flagging, I would proudly take a position as a review mod as an alternative or second 'job.' I hardly use the Audio portal, and I haven't created an Icon to date, I'm sure a few users have been dedicated to that section and would make excellent candidates.

For forum mod - I spend almost all of my time while online with a tab to the NG BBS open, lurking, I see everything, not just what's at the top of the page. Since I was 13 I have been an active and rule abiding user, rules have become common sense, and not posting in a suspicious thread is a reflex. However it seems anybody with a sense of right and wrong could filter out most of the garbage that comes through , there simply isn't enough eyes on at times where it would most likely show up. More mods also means more people to have users report what they see to, adding a mod is almost like adding 10 or 12, hypothetically. To be completely honest, I feel that I am a bit young to be considered for a moderator position, mostly due to the sterotypical stigma of immaturity, but age isn't necessarily proportional to capabilities. There are pro's to it anyway, I've got free time all the time, currently without a job (And not planning on getting one any time soon) I could get on any given day during 3PM through 1AM. Weekends (Including Friday) are a free-for-all, I stay up all night, all day, during that I'm usually just buzzing around the house or browsing NG (Especially any time from 6 PM till noon or more). Also, assuming most of the users are within 4 to 5 years of my age, if they were going to be on, they would be on the same time I would be. At this point with these details I know I'm probably nothing special compared to any other reg, not to be conceited but speaking generally of course they are only posting for status and recognition. Few post to express opinions or just discuss somewhat intelligently on any given topic of interest. Given my amount of lurking few interest me enough to post, but as long as it has even the slightest hint of intelligence I always read the entire thread. I've learned to read the quality or importance of threads well, while some are obviously inferior and can be dealt with by reading the first post, a more in depth mod like I would strive to be, I may not lock very frequently but I would ban abusive users, spammers, and general pricks. With that I could easily and catch and stop the trash threads heading downhill or plummeting. When I post I always try to make it worthwhile, it doesn't mean I'm a iron fisted prick without a sense of humor, but I HATE posting one liners since most of the time they offer little to any thread, users who post quickly without much thought would be warned to shape up a little bit, not necessarily banned. People come to post for entertainment anyway, moderators aren't in place to kill everything funny, I can recognize humor and will make sure to tolerate a bit of stupid behavior occasionally. I'm making this post so long it looks as if I'm begging, but I hope that is more than enough detail in that section.

For review mod - Newgrounds, being a flash animation based website opened users accounts primarily for people to offer their feedback on the submissions. People who are unnecessarily rude or make pointless reviews offer nothing good to authors and the rest of the community. Long story short - Reviews are much like posts, quality is more expected here however, opinions that are not expressed very offensively is exactly what should be displayed, anything else is borderline garbage. With the new whistle system up virtually all of the work is done by the users anyway, they choose what that review really is and being a mod is just making the final decision. I can recognize quality and trash, I don't think I'm highly opinionted so my choice would not be biased. Even though I do not whistle often or review often I'm simply interested in cleaning the image of the website by helping deal with these reviews while allowing quality feedback to be heard. Times availabe same as above, whenever I have some free time filtering reviews would be a fine alternative.

I'll cut the rambling anyway, I hope this helps guide your decisions.

XBL Gamertag: Dr Lipschitz /// Steam ID: Zippomatt /// League: Zippomatt

last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:17:42

Review Mod would be an interesting position.
Im usually on between 3PM-8PM west coast time (6PM-11PM east coast) almost everyday.
I think abusive reviews reflect badly on the NG community, and people who usually have a bunch of abusive reviews, shouldn't be going to newrgounds :P

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:18:47

At 10/16/06 11:31 PM, WadeFulp wrote: If you have spare time and would be willing to help out Newgrounds, what kind of moderator would you most like to be? Basically your response should be like an essay, stating what type of mod you'd like to be, and why you'd make a good mod.

I would be a Forum moderator. I'm always on and have been an active user for 3 years almost now. I'm active during the day time but during the night I'm always on. I'm an active Clubs & Crew poster and I see a lot of clubs topics that are spam. I would help out a lot and be on more than most of the current mods now.

XBL GT: SleepyB 408

I Xbox 360 Club I MLB Club I

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:21:19

Hey Wade,

Since you ask it so openly, I would indeed be interested in helping the website. I've been a member since 2000, and even if I was mostly inactive between 2001 and 2003, it helped me alot get better at Flash, and even awarded me a T-Shirt and 50$ for my Pico Day entry. It may not seem like much, but getting aknowledged for your work is so much more important. So this would be a good way to thank you back for all you did for me.

Plus, I think after spending about 3 years browsing the BBS, I'm beginning to understand how things work around here (and about time I should add...). I'm mostly on NG between midnight and 2 or 3 am (eastearn time), a.k.a. when I get back from work.

As far as the choice goes, I would like to be a BBS mod first, since I consider myself a regular (generally unknown, but still a regular) and Flash review mod second, since I’m a flahs contributor and know what it’s like to receive stupid unfounded reviews that are just personnal attacks.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:34:08

At 10/16/06 11:31 PM, WadeFulp wrote:

Wade, as a loyal newgrounds member since 2002, I feel that I could be of assistance to you. I have been around far longer that it is needed to understand the workings of newgrounds.com and feel that as a college student, I have plenty of free time that I waste only on the BBS, when I could be doing other, more productive things. I am free from 11:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays and also 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. I am on newgrounds at these times. Saturdays and Sundays I am availible all day, yet distracted due to football games, but who isnt. I would gladly accept any of the mod possitions that you have listed if you find me to be qualified enough. However if I had to list them, they would be in this order:

1. Forum Mod
2. Review Mod
3. Icon Mod
4. Audio Mod

Thank you for considering me, Wade.

y so srs

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:34:22

I have been on Newgrounds for a few years now and I would like the opportunity to be a forum mod. I am available for any day of the week. The hours I am mostly active on Newgrounds between 10 a.m up until 10 p.m., although these hours may vary. I like to hear people's opinions and thoughts on forum topics and I will sometimes contribute some of my own. I am pretty mild-mannered and easy-going, except when people start acting immature.

Let me know what you think. You can either e-mail me or use the Newgrounds Private Message to contact me.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:36:21

I'd love to be a review mod, because i dont think you can be strict enough in reviews.
Simple, and to the point. But i can live being a normal user.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:37:57

wait a minute, we have so many mods as it is. i think it's ridiculous, modding for the sake of modding. it's a bad road to take, i think. when everyone feels they have to exercise their modly powers, you just get hardasses.

considering this forum is open to so many different people (it's the internet for christ's sake) it's not ever going to be an open and shut case of what people find acceptable. i think with the more mods we have, the more opinions we're going to get on what and what isn't acceptable. and that's never good, because not only does it lead to confusion and conflict on the typical average BBS user's part (which I see mods such as Zerok trying to amend, so good on ya for that) but it creates a mod vs. user mentality. it's only natural to feel prosecuted when there are so many double standards and hypocrisy.

now, i know the mindset up until now has been "just because someone else didn't get banned, doesn't mean you won't" but in all plainness that's a terrible way to lay down the law. for the aformentioned reasons.

now i know one of the more obvious solutions to this problem would be "more mods, easier to ban people and maintain a constant level of control".

but this solution isn't really going to ever work. whilst we have had revisions to the rules to make them more black and white, the best way to effectively run an all-inclusive forum is never going to be clearcut. there will be many opinions (mine being only one of many) and so you'll still have mods disagreeing on what is spam, what is an unfunny post, what is a useless contribution, what is a parody thread, whatever. more mods just means more disagreeance.

and because everybody wants to stay on everybody else's good side, there's just compromises made. no accountability. if you're banned, you're banned.

more mods, more bans, more structured. i think then less fun.

now i'm not saying we should go for a forum with no rules: far from it.

i think, though, that with A LOT LESS MODS, who are A LOT MORE ACTIVE, there's be plenty of consistency in the banning, locking and deletion areas.

as an example, look at Luis in the Flash Forum. he does a brilliant job of maintaining a largely consistent approach to bans, locks and whatnot, with very little of the limelight over undeserving mods receive. now obviously he has other things to do, and time zones don't allow for him to be on all the time, so perhaps choosing mods from contrasting timezones would be the wisest way to go. a

and yes, i know that the flash forum is a lot less frequented than general, and so easier to moderate, but the same principle applies. with less moderators, moderating more often, we'd have a better and more effective system.

i know a lot of people will be pissed off that i'm recommending a lot of de-moddings, but i think that if people came here purely to be modded in the first place, rather than to maintain a fun, and stable environment for users from all around the world to habitate and just muck around in, there won't be an issue. because i think that although they don't get the glamour roles of mods anymore, i think it's ultimately best for the BBS: and i presume the reason they were modded was not to grant them personal glamour, but to improve the BBS.

i also know that a lot of people in this very thread will probably disagree with me, because they want to be mods themselves. good luck to you.

i know i'm only an '06 user with a relatively low post count, but i still recommend that you think about this, even if you decide against it.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:41:37

At 10/17/06 01:37 AM, Clunes wrote: also, cocks. <3

I get what your saying, people(including me) have and are complaining mods dont do their job, but its truly just envy towards mods. jelousy is a problem with me, im not going to lie..i get mad when i see "forum noobs" as mods as to me whos been active for 3 years. <3 mods.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:53:48

Prospective applicants must not own a World Of Warcraft account.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:55:17

1)Review mod- I have seen alot of bad and abusive reviews in my time on newgrounds. The authors dont not deserve this treatment as they have worked hard on their flashes . I wouldnt mind being the person who gets to stick it to the jerks who disrespect these people.

2)Forum Mod- I get sick and tired of seeing people post stupid or illrelivent topics/post on the bbs and would love ot to be able to do something about it.

3) Icon Mod- Im not really into the audio portal so i would rather be an icon mod then a audio mod

4) Audio mod- Not that interested.

Im usually on between 12am and 8am due to the time slot of my city (perth). At those times its around 2-10pm where I am.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:56:19

In the brief time that it lasted, being a forum moderator established another motive for me remaining here, disregarding a rather questionable decision I made with the power granted to me. The thing is that I's agree with the first part of your post more than any of the other parts. Asking people which kind of mod they would like to be and why only unleases some sort of instinct to strive for power within everyone. One of the main things that I tried to do during my month or so when I actually was a mod was to maintain the mentality that I still wasn't a mod, nor did I really deserve to be one, so that I wouldn't grant myself any ability to become overzealous or egotistical with it. I treated it more like mandatory community service, cleaning up things whenever necessary and gaining a feeling of actually helping out, as opposed to the idea of moving up in BBS class rankings. I think that's the only effective way to become a good mod, to assure that it doesn't go to your head, allowing you to do the best possible job.

Of course I decided to not take it seriously and let a friend of mine deposit for me while I was away (Which he did every day, since he apparently felt like such shit for getting me demodded that he made sure not to miss any days), then everyone freaked out and requested that both our accounts be deleted and all that nonsense. I'll still stick by my position that anyone who takes the position that seriously shouldn't be a mod in the first place. I'll say that he was taking it a bit seriously as well, since he thought I was going to kill him or something when I got back and talked to him over AIM.

That's avoiding the whole "Haha, internet" argument as well. I think of it as the very basis philosophy of being placed in a position of power, the significance of it is irrelevant. The only people that should be mods are the ones that contribute on a regular basis without any sort of hidden desire to make their posts really good for the sake of being able to rule over everyone else. People like Nightcrawler, for example, though I haven't actually seen him around in a while.

My art gallery, because I'm better than you at things.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 01:57:45

I'm not usually the one to answer to threads like this but i guesse i'll give it a try.
Why i would become a good mod...i never really thought about it but i guesse my few good reasons would be that i've been here for a good while, and because of that many members know me and for all i know i think they respect me.
I know i had a recent Ng absense but that because i was dealing with some hard familly troubles, but all that is taken care of and now im ready to come back to Ng. Im a pretty mature user and i know when something has gone to far.
I have been on the BBS long enough to know all the rules and most of the members.
Im able to be as active as possible and ill be on-line most of the time, so no need to worry about me being not active.
I know that me posting wont do shit because there are many more members trying to get this, but whatever its all for shits and giggles.
If you do need to contact me though , please do it by PM because my e-mail is being dumb right now.
Thanks...

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 02:01:10

Review Mod, im fed up of the 12 year olds who leave messages like:

"FUCKING SHIT SHIT SHIT FUCK" to everything by fat badger.

[;];=]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 02:03:39

Ah you kind of left out chat mods. XD

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 02:05:05

I wouldn't mind, I troll the forums enough. Us college kids have to have something to do when there's no wild parties...ha.

I guess I could either do review mod or forum mod. I have a decent amount of experience with forum modding as I mod/admin a few other smaller forums. I'm usually on NG's between 12PM to 3PM and then from 8PM to 2PM.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 02:05:07

I'd like to be a forum mod, Wade, I don't lose my temper easily and don't abuse my power. I've moderated many forums. And for those mods out there, the best role model for a mod is probably Ozcar, he has a good sense of humour and bans people that breach the rules. I've been banned twice, I admit, but one was not even done by me (check the i.p address). I don't talk in 1337, and have good control over my grammar. And who really cares about post count? Most of the noobs on Newgrounds have over 1,000 posts anyway. If a person comes up and flames me for being a mod (assuming I will become one) I will ignore them, and not ban them. Other than that, I'd like to be a review mod, cause some of the reviews make me laugh.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 02:05:23

oh, and the amount of backseat modding that will happen as a result of this thread will be absolutely brutal.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 02:06:17

This is fun. Liane, here, probably posting with the ultimate mass of people and may or may not have a chance (my little shed of hope is gone!) I've been sauntering through Newgrounds since the early days of 2002 with another account. Given the choice, I would choose a review mod, as I spend most of my time on Newgrounds in the flash portal and toons.

I pretty much just watch and observe trends. I'm online often, but I don't submit flash or audio, I sometimes vote, I rarely write reviews, and post few. Some contributing member I am, hah.

I'm usually online 1:00 am to 4:00 am odd hours, and during most peak hours (7:00-8:00, 9:00 - 11:00 pm weekdays, and a hovering mass during the weekends)

Shazam.

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 02:12:36

So are we to expect that any requests made will actually be considered? Is there actually a chance that anyone with a reasonable post will get selected? Or is this just a 200-PAGE GET topic done for some other elaborate or nonsensical reason?

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 02:15:08

Ever since I've been coming to this site, I've noticed that brilliant flashes often get bogged down by abysmal reviews. I don't mind it at all if the person who handed out the 0 had a logical explanation with valid support as to why he/she gave the 0. Unfortunately, "nice" 0's are extremely rare. More often than not, you get the "omFg suxx0r! Burn in HELL!" 0 that does horrors for the review average as well as the author's esteem. I, for one, am sick of this, and for these reasons, I'd love to be a review mod. I spend about 2-4 hours at Newgrounds on weekdays (anywhere from 2:00pm eastern to 12:00am) and 3-5 hours on weekends (anytime). With the new whistle system and review mods, I've had several abusive reviews erased from my movies, and I can't tell you how good it feels. I'd like to do the same for the other authors.

Find a mountain to stand on.

BBS Signature

Response to Would you like to be a mod? 2006-10-17 02:15:39

At 10/17/06 02:12 AM, wwwyzzerdd wrote: So are we to expect that any requests made will actually be considered? Is there actually a chance that anyone with a reasonable post will get selected? Or is this just a 200-PAGE GET topic done for some other elaborate or nonsensical reason?

Actually I'm interested to see what people say. I have asked for nominations lately, and the well seems to be running dry. I thought this topic might be helpful not only to me, but to the mods, as they may see a user they didn't consider before, or learn more about a user they were considering nominating. I may see people that I like and nominate them, etc.

BTW, that's your 2nd reply. :)

Don't reply to this post, keep on topic, and stick to my rules as laid out in my first post. This post is just to clairfy things.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature